Sign in to follow this  
Oz Canary

Michael Theoklitos

Hi All, before I start, I need to say that I never saw the 7-1 loss to Colchester and Theo is now the gloveman at my supported team the Brisbane Roar.

The reason for this message is not to dredge up a whole heap of rhetoric but it''s an honest request for some additional information from the guys that I guess were there on that fateful day. Fateful becuase I guess it ultimately brought Sir Paul to us.

The Roar moved into second place on the A-League table after a great 2-0 win against the Wellington Phoenix in Wellington due mainly to Theo''s superb shot stopping ability. He battered away at least 4 attempts by Paul Ifill(ex Crystal Palace, Sheff Utd and Millwall striker).

As I said, I didn''t see the 7-1 loss but I have seen the views of many on this site and whilst I am sure that he was at fault for a couple of goals surely the whole defensive unit had to take the blame as a keeper is really only as good as his defence.

Just thought I would bring it up as he had a superb game yesterday and was the real difference between both teams.

BOO![;)]

Even in his Melbourne Victory days, I thought he was pretty decent, and was quite excited when Gunny signed him. Obviously his position was untenable after his first game, and actually, if you think about it, is one player we can thank for our current success. If he''d had a half-decent game against Colchester, would we be where we are now?Whatever you say about him though, he''s done quite well for himself in the Misses department!

Ghost, but was he totally responsible for all goals. I guess my point is, if the defence is leaking like a sieve the keeper cannot be expected to do much. Were we defensively crap that day?

You are right though, his misses is class.

Typical response from BW - great insight. Shouldn''t have expected anything else from him.

Typical Aussies. First chance they have to mention sheilas and they grab it.

Theo couldn''t have been that bad a keeper as he was signed by Gunn, one of our best ever. I was abroad at the time so missed everything about that game except the result, but nevertheless I agree that our defense at that time was crap and the whole team had been poorly prepared by all accounts. Theo was probably a bit nervous that day too. I''m glad he had a baddie though because the consequences from that result have been beyond belief.

Us Aussie''s like to pick up on anything positive even if it is the WAGS.

Just thought that after yesterday''s game where he was great, the 7-1 debarcle couldn''t have all been his responsibility. 

Rabbit caught in headlights springs to mind. I,(an ex goalkeeper of no repute!) had him at fault for 6 of the goals. It was one of those days I am  afraid, it wasn''t meant to be.

The fact is that he was condemned and dismissed on the back of a single bad game.He wasn''t at fault for all the goals, I saw it as maybe 3, 4 at a stretch, which obviously isn''t good, but it was his first game here with a defence that were like the red sea that day and we were terrible as a team.After that result he never got another chance to show it was just one of those shocking performances that almost every player has now and then in their career.Quite what happened with the ''missed bus'' saga I can''t imagine, but that was probably the final nail in the coffin for Theo.I still maintain that he was a far better keeper than the majority of fans gave him credit for, but it''s all academic now and I''m just glad that he''s managed to re-settle well back home and regain his form.

I disagree Indy, I had the misfortune to watch him play a couple of reserve games and have to say he was flapping about all over the place. He just didn''t seem able to keep up with the pace of the game and would get in a flap whenever the ball came within 40 yds of him.

[quote user="IncH HigH"]I disagree Indy, I had the misfortune to watch him play a couple of reserve games and have to say he was flapping about all over the place. He just didn''t seem able to keep up with the pace of the game and would get in a flap whenever the ball came within 40 yds of him.[/quote]

Yeah, I saw him in the reserves too. Not good.

He was at fault for most of the goals in the Colchester game and you''d be sticking your head in the sand if you said otherwise.

Absolutely IncH. I too saw him play in pre season friendlies and reserve games.

Maybe a bit unfair but my immediate opinion of him, he would never make it in League 1. As you say flapped about and didn''t have the physique for a decent keeper.

Glad he is doing well in Oz. It was a torrid time for him at Norwich - as it was for us supporters until a certain God like figure turned up!

People are quick to jump on the bandwagon and make Theoklitos a scapegoat, but the TRUTH is that the whole team were like statues from the kick off and never really got going.    They were up against a team under a certain Paul Lambert - and we know what PL teams are like!  

The first goal was a disaster from Otsmebor.  From then on it was an uphill struggle  and Colchester were relentless.   He was at fault maybe for two more of the goals.     I was there and  felt sorry for him.    In the circumstances of the club and the managemnent at the time - he was unfortunate.

I for one am so glad he has picked up his career back in the land of oz.    He had  his chance in England and unfortunately it did not work out.    Sounds like he has moved on. Good on him.    I''m sure Gunn was hoping he would settle into being a great goalkeeper for Norwich, but  really that day had an effect on the whole club and Theoklitos  was an unfortunate  part of that.  

Verdict - a good goalkeeper who never really had a chance to settle.   If that day had been a 1 or 2 - 0 loss, he might have stayed and improved and taken his chance.   But that 7-1 was a historic day for the club.    A certain Mr Lambert came to visit - and the rest is in evidence now.  

Thanks to Mr Theoklitos for his contribution to our history - he may have had a rough time, but through circumstance it led on to one of the best periods in our history.   

Good luck to him in the rest of his career.

He seemed totally under-prepared for English football. Came here with lots of promise and failed miserably. Mind you, he can''t take all the blame that day, but he surely didn''t help himself.

Maybe he knew if we''d lose Lambert would come in, and he''s actually secretly a hero...

[quote user="lake district canary"]

People are quick to jump on the bandwagon and make Theoklitos a scapegoat, but the TRUTH is that the whole team were like statues from the kick off and never really got going.    They were up against a team under a certain Paul Lambert - and we know what PL teams are like!  

The first goal was a disaster from Otsmebor.  From then on it was an uphill struggle  and Colchester were relentless.   He was at fault maybe for two more of the goals.     I was there and  felt sorry for him.    In the circumstances of the club and the managemnent at the time - he was unfortunate.

[/quote]

I would say he was at fault or could have done significantly better for 5 or 6 of the goals. Anything else is being very kind on him.

Nothing about making him a scapegoat, it was simply a truly woeful goalkeeping performance - regardless of what the players infront of him were like.

As  usual you''ve got fans coming on here saying white is black and black is white.   Colchester carved through us like a knife through butter.  Poor team performance - Theoklitos?  Not at fault for all the goals by any means.  1st goal set the trend - and that was down to a certain right back - NOT  the goalkeeper.   I wish people could look at things objectively.   Theoklitos wasn''t great that day, but the defence was non existent.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

As  usual you''ve got fans coming on here saying white is black and black is white.   Colchester carved through us like a knife through butter.  Poor team performance - Theoklitos?  Not at fault for all the goals by any means.  1st goal set the trend - and that was down to a certain right back - NOT  the goalkeeper.   I wish people could look at things objectively.   Theoklitos wasn''t great that day, but the defence was non existent.

[/quote]

First goal an awful backpass from Otsemobor but don''t you think the ''keeper could have done a bit better there? He came out in to no man''s land and then completely missed the ball. Just because someone infront of you has made a mistake doesn''t mean you''re not at fault if you don''t rectify it when you''ve got the chance to.

Second goal he''s let a very tame shot along the floor, placed centrally, to get away from his body. Never should have happened. Awful.

Third goal he''s let a cross from a deep enough angle come into HIS 6 yard box at around chest height. Could have been defended better but could have been claimed by the ''keeper.

Fourth goal is a nicely struck freekick from David Fox but it''s fairly central. It certainly isn''t near a corner or into the side netting. He reacts late and doesn''t have the reach to keep it out. John Ruddy would save that all day long, no problem. As should any goalkeeper.

Fifth goal he''s totally misjudged the flight of a long throw from Marc Tierney. He''s started to come off his line and that has cost him big style, the ball is flicked on and he''s back peddling as it gets headed in over his head.

Sixth goal is a decent strike from the guy, we''ll let him off that one.

Seventh goal he once again comes needlessly off his line when he''s got a defender coming across to cover, leaving the goal wide open for the cut back.

So yeah, looking at it objectively, regardless of the dire performance of the other 10 players on the pitch with him, he could have done a lot better with most of the goals. I really cannot see how you could think otherwise. If you''re not sure watch the highlights back while reading my comments and see if I''ve said anything that isn''t true.

An interesting selection of swipes, brickbats and almost a bouquet or two for Theo. I’ve defended him on here before and will do so again. He was not a great keeper, but not that bad a one either. Yes, the 1-7 was a shocker and he didn’t have a good game, and his flapping that day was the start of something huge for NCFC although we didn’t know it at the time.

One day the real story behind 1-7 story will come out and we’ll all understand more about that day in August 2009.

[quote user="TheJarrold"]

guy was a joke for us.....nuff said!

[/quote]

The guy was a joke is like saying it was all his fault.   The  fault was the culmination of a series of events that led to a fantastic pre-season on to a day of high expectation.   The team were caught in the full glare of expectation  - and against a Paul Lambert team.

The fault that set the tone was Otmesbor''s back pass.  A suicidal lob into the path of a striker.  Theoklitos had no alternative but to come for it.  People persist in blaming him but although he was poor, it was the team that were at fault as a whole.  Much like MKdons earlier this season, it was one of those days (and a half).  

A day of history - whatever view you have on it.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

An interesting selection of swipes, brickbats and almost a bouquet or two for Theo. I’ve defended him on here before and will do so again. He was not a great keeper, but not that bad a one either. Yes, the 1-7 was a shocker and he didn’t have a good game, and his flapping that day was the start of something huge for NCFC although we didn’t know it at the time.

One day the real story behind 1-7 story will come out and we’ll all understand more about that day in August 2009.

[/quote]why not tell us... if its true you have nothing to lose.as for Theo, Utter useless, he kept looking towards the bench after every goal and shrugging.... he should have been subbed at half time as all the fans were expecting to restore pride with us 4-0 down.The sad thing is the Aussie League must be woeful in terms of quality if Theo looks half decent. watching the highlights and he is at fault for 5 of the 7 goals at least... his communication was non existent as well.~I do wonder if we were desperate when Crooky reccomended him.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="TheJarrold"]

guy was a joke for us.....nuff said!

[/quote]

The guy was a joke is like saying it was all his fault.   The  fault was the culmination of a series of events that led to a fantastic pre-season on to a day of high expectation.   The team were caught in the full glare of expectation  - and against a Paul Lambert team.

The fault that set the tone was Otmesbor''s back pass.  A suicidal lob into the path of a striker.  Theoklitos had no alternative but to come for it.  People persist in blaming him but although he was poor, it was the team that were at fault as a whole.  Much like MKdons earlier this season, it was one of those days (and a half).  

A day of history - whatever view you have on it.

[/quote]

Agreed the back pass was truly awful but theo completely mis judged where and how much the ball was going to bounce, so you cannot blame otsemobor alone.

Also to reply to any earlier comment you made, contrary to being like statues from kick off, we looked lively in the first 10 mins (though it''s been very painful trying to remember that day) and it was only after the back pass that we completely fell apart.

Poor performance from all but a gk that lets in 7 will always get the brunt of it - and for at least 5 of the goals - deserved it

[quote user="GJP"]First goal an awful backpass from Otsemobor but don''t you think the ''keeper could have done a bit better there? He came out in to no man''s land and then completely missed the ball. Just because someone infront of you has made a mistake doesn''t mean you''re not at fault if you don''t rectify it when you''ve got the chance to. 

Second goal he''s let a very tame shot along the floor, placed centrally, to get away from his body. Never should have happened. Awful.

Third goal he''s let a cross from a deep enough angle come into HIS 6 yard box at around chest height. Could have been defended better but could have been claimed by the ''keeper.

Fourth goal is a nicely struck freekick from David Fox but it''s fairly central. It certainly isn''t near a corner or into the side netting. He reacts late and doesn''t have the reach to keep it out. John Ruddy would save that all day long, no problem. As should any goalkeeper.

Fifth goal he''s totally misjudged the flight of a long throw from Marc Tierney. He''s started to come off his line and that has cost him big style, the ball is flicked on and he''s back peddling as it gets headed in over his head.

Sixth goal is a decent strike from the guy, we''ll let him off that one.

Seventh goal he once again comes needlessly off his line when he''s got a defender coming across to cover, leaving the goal wide open for the cut back.

So yeah, looking at it objectively, regardless of the dire performance of the other 10 players on the pitch with him, he could have done a lot better with most of the goals. I really cannot see how you could think otherwise. If you''re not sure watch the highlights back while reading my comments and see if I''ve said anything that isn''t true.[/quote]

What a horribly unfair, and IMHO - incorrect reading of the goals.

Goal 1 - Otsemobor''s fault all the way, could Theo have done better? Maybe, although there was also the risk of potentially clattering the striker leading to a pen, but to blame the keeper in that situation, after that pass is pretty unfair.

Goal 2 - Doherty with his usual poor defending first lets the run happen, then doesn''t shield very well which lead to the shot being taken. Fair point however being that Theo didn''t deal with it well and it was an easy tap-in. Certainly has to take a large chunk of the blame there, although Doherty should have been much better before this.

Goal 3 - Shoddy defending in the box with NO-ONE clearing it, leading to Platt''s second. Again, the keeper could maybe have claimed this, but there''s 3-4 defenders in there that did jack all to clear it before they scored with a decent finish.

Goal 4 - It''s a good free kick from Fox which I think Theo saw later than expected, but he was still caught out despite it''s relatively central position. Again, fair to post blame here.

Goal 5 - 2 defenders again do jack all before the header goes past Theo, and whilst he should have stayed more on his line, the ball should have been cut out and the striker blocked before the header was even made. This is poor defending and not the keepers fault.

Goal 6 - I agree with you here, it''s a good strike and not the keepers fault at all.

Goal 7 - He didn''t come out totally needlessly, Vernon had skinned the defender and was directly through, if Doherty had got there in time, then the same simple ball across would still be made, and then it comes down to how well the striker places it and what Theo does to stop it. This again was down to bad defending, and whilst the better choice was probably to stay on his line but watching the angle, the chances were they''d have scored anyway due to the non-existent covering of the striker in the middle.

So whilst I can happily agree that there were mistakes made by the keeper on a few occasions, the majority of it was down to god awful defending beforehand IMO, something we saw happen regularly in the days of Doherty et al, regardless of who was in the net.

Theoklitos was a convenient scapegoat for our overall dogshit performance.

As for those comments made regarding him in reserve games - that has to be a joke right? Since when did performances in the reserves dictate a players ability? You can be world class or total crap in the reserves and it''s not taken seriously the majority of the time, as it''s purely there to keep players fit overall and bring injured players back to match fitness. It''s not even vaguely competitive compared to league play, and if a keeper struggles with our first team infront of him, why you think he''ll be better with our second string is beyond me???

We had a guy who''d moved halfway round the world to play in a different league which was much quicker than he was used to, and people expected him to adjust instantly, and be the next Schmeichel overnight...unbelievable. Bear in mind as well that this guy was checked out by Crook and Gunn who both felt he was a good choice, and in Crook''s case, he''d seen more of the guy than virtually anyone over here so was ideally placed to give a fair and professional opinion. Yet based on 1 league match and a few reserve outings, the average Norwich fan suddenly thinks they know more about the player...

Anyway, this debate was done to death 2 years ago, and opinions aren''t likely to have changed since then, and whilst I respect everyone has their own opinion, it frustrates me when damning indictments are handed out based on virtually no evidence. The guy has a bad game and he''s suddenly the worst keeper ever, who isn''t even good enough to play non-league...FFS what a load of...