Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Getting the scores from City games - how did you used to do it?

Was talking to a younger fan recently and they were amazed at how hard it was to get the score from an away match, particuarly midweek. And it got me thinking how I used to wait for Look East to give us the score, or try and listen to Medium Wave in the dark, or the best ever was when the club introduced a telphone number that you could call along with thousands of others to get the score. I dont mean th epremium rate one, this one was a normal 01603 number that was engaged for about 4 hours.

On saturdays it was the teleprinter , so we all became wrestling fans as it immediately preceeded the football scores.

Nowadays, we''ve got internet, iphones, sky updates, live streaming. In those days I used to wait all night to get the score.

Blimey some memories there. There was a time when you would have to wait for the next day, sometimes it didn''t even make the next days papers, especially if there was extra time or something and I''m only going back to the 70''s here.

I can''t remember if there was a Radio Norfolk as we know it back then?

I suppose some things have changed for the better.

Used to be in the Royal Navy and still remember when we were miles out to sea I would have a word with an RO (Radio operator) to listen in and try to get me scores. Sometimes I would have to wait ''till Sunday or Monday before I got the result ! Closer to shore and they would broadcast the world service throughout the ship, at half time they would pick up the commentary from a match, which I would not have much interest in, I would be waiting for them to go to updates for other matches. I guess it''s a lot different in the modern Navy !  

Yep always was teletext in the late 80s early 90s and the radio of course. I remember listening on my radio as a kid or as soon as close to 5 came along Desmond Lyman always reported the games....Memoriessss

Oh those memories of watching 90 minutes of paint drying, sorry , I mean teletext. Really can''t believe I used to that

If it was an away game and I wasn''t going, I usually went to the reserve game at Carrow Rd (if a match was on) where they gave out updates.

Or failing that, I went with my father who picked up the Pink Un''s in Norwich for sale in Lowestoft, and read it on the way home, the EEN (pre Archant) never found out. .........and as he''s dead now I doubt they''ll sack him.

I''m afraid as a child of the 80''s , I predate teletext. In the early 80''s , for away matches you''d get an update on radio norfolk every 15 mins or so, between music etc etc and for the final few minutes to get confirmation that the match had definitely finished, it was the often nervewracking Granstand vidiprinter waiting for the result to come through.

To get to actually read a detailed report on what had actually happened during the 90 mins of an away day, it would be a hot-foot round to the local newsagent at about 7.30ish on a Saturday evening to buy the pinkun (when it was actually printed on pink paper)

I can remember in the early seventies, when we were in the second division, going to the reserves on a saturday afternoon. In those days the reserves used to play on the same day as the first team. They would give the latest score every 15 minutes or so.

You''ll all kick yourself for not tuning in at the time, but back in the old days when a wireless ran on coal, the BBC World Service gave football results rather quickly.

I remember staying up to watch sportsnight when they would give you the scores (no goals in those days) at the very end of the programme.

I remember well trying like mad to get the score from the milk cup semmy against Ip5w1ch 2nd leg and jumping around the living room for joy as a 12 yrd old.  My mum and Dad thinking I was mental.

those were the days

Ringing the social club upListerning to the police on the radio,which you could pick up in the 70sSoccer Special on the radioSportsnightVery frustrating times back then,often didn''t find the score out until the next morning

A bit off topic but does anyone remember the letter system they used to use to give fans in the ground the half times from other matches? I''m not sure if they had them at CR but most grounds did.

The programme had a list of letters next to games, for example: A = Norwich v Spurs, B = Southampton v Leeds etc then somewhere behind one of the goals there would be the letters all laid out against the advertising hoarding. Someone would then go and put the half times against the relevent letter so you would end up with A31, B20 etc. Not the best system in the world but a dam fine way of selling more programmes!

According to my Grandad anyway.....

Reserve games on a Saturday for me as well, followed by a quick dash home (Thorpe) to sprint round and do the evening news paper deliveries, back to the newsagent to wait (and deliver) the Pink Un, (like has already been mentioned on pink paper) at a more leisurely pace!

The thing I remember about teletext was you could press the update button so the text would go off,and you could watch the programme which was on,  and then if something changed then a little number, the number of the page, would appear in the top right hand corner. Obviously this didnt work if there were more than one pages on that number, but if there weren''t - and sometimes City would be the only game - you would be watching whatever was on, and all of a sudden the number would come up, and your heart would miss a beat because you knew the score might have changed. It wasnt always the score. ''HT'' would appear at half time so you would get in a state all for nothing. I can remember nervously pressing the ''reveal'' button on the remote on many occasions.  At the time it seemed like the height of technology!

[quote user="waggers"]

A bit off topic but does anyone remember the letter system they used to use to give fans in the ground the half times from other matches? I''m not sure if they had them at CR but most grounds did.

The programme had a list of letters next to games, for example: A = Norwich v Spurs, B = Southampton v Leeds etc then somewhere behind one of the goals there would be the letters all laid out against the advertising hoarding. Someone would then go and put the half times against the relevent letter so you would end up with A31, B20 etc. Not the best system in the world but a dam fine way of selling more programmes!

[/quote]Remember that,used to be at the Barclay End i think,along with the men in white coats

[quote user="yellow 63"][quote user="waggers"]

[/quote]
Remember that,used to be at the Barclay End i think,along with the men in white coats
[/quote]

Sorry mate, but looking from the Barclay, I thought it was top left river end, near the 6d transfer end.

I can remember my days as an RSI in the Paras Regimental signal instructor, During my time if I was away I would get the A13 radio out and use shortwave convert to C/W carrier wave and use Morse code would get some dodgy replys at times but the NCFC lads in the Battallion were knocking on the door for ages, Cyprus,and Hong Kong were really dodgy. 

[quote user="Kathy "]The thing I remember about teletext was you could press the update button so the text would go off,and you could watch the programme which was on,  and then if something changed then a little number, the number of the page, would appear in the top right hand corner. Obviously this didnt work if there were more than one pages on that number, but if there weren''t - and sometimes City would be the only game - you would be watching whatever was on, and all of a sudden the number would come up, and your heart would miss a beat because you knew the score might have changed. It wasnt always the score. ''HT'' would appear at half time so you would get in a state all for nothing. I can remember nervously pressing the ''reveal'' button on the remote on many occasions.  At the time it seemed like the height of technology![/quote]

Gawd I had completely forgotten all of those nights watching teletext. If it was a full league programme as the goals went in the pages got longer.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="yellow 63"][quote user="waggers"]

[/quote]Remember that,used to be at the Barclay End i think,along with the men in white coats[/quote]

Sorry mate, but looking from the Barclay, I thought it was top left river end, near the 6d transfer end.

[/quote]Correct, can''t remember meself but just found a photo,maybe i was thinking of another ground that had the scores behind the goal

I remember watching the teleprinter on Granstand during the Seventies to see the results come up.

For those too young to remember it was like watching someone using a typewriter.

I can clearly remember one afternoon in December 1975 when the scoreline - Liverpool 1 (pause) Norwich 3 came up.

Then had to watch the classified results a few minutes later to believe it was true.

Most memorable ''finding out the score'' for me was the promotion decider in 1972.  Away at Orient, wanting to know the score, we were glued to Anglia TV,  who had said they would put updates on.   Watching some black and white drama, sure enough - even while the programme was on, the scores popped up in little white letters across the bottom of the black and white image.    2-1 to Norwich - fantastic!

All sounds a bit primitive now, but a momentus day in the club''s history, first time ever in the top league, indelibly printed in my memory - and the first time practically live scores were put out on Anglia TV - not even waiting for adverts!  

Nowadays?  I switch on the black and white t..................... 

I remember an old boy out Catford/Stalham way who had a blackboard hung on his gate giving the City score....Don''t suppose anyone else remembers him?

Now you mention it Cluck I remember my Dad venturing off the main road to see what the score was when travelling back to Gorleston from visiting family in Cromer, must have been the same one.

As to the score boards at Carrow Road if my memory serve me right there was one either end of the ground.

Early 80s in Australia... had to use a phone service... that was timedWent something like this   Ars        e     nal     one        Tott    en    ham      onePause                                           Liver   (pause)  pool       nil          Aston    (pause)  villa         nil    (pause)

got quite expensive... especially waiting for Div 1

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

Reserve games on a Saturday for me as well, followed by a quick dash home (Thorpe) to sprint round and do the evening news paper deliveries, back to the newsagent to wait (and deliver) the Pink Un, (like has already been mentioned on pink paper) at a more leisurely pace!

[/quote]

Crabby it was Thorpe for me as well; I lived in Primrose Crescent where were you?

There was indeed a half time score board at each end of the ground. The one at the river end was also the commentary box for hospital radio; that of course was another way of keeping up with score as they used to commentate on away games. Problem was only worked if you were visiting someone in hospital which I did take of advantage of a few times. Mind you the patient you were visiting could sometimes feel a bit neglected.