Sign in to follow this  
Winning 25

Curbishley in reserve?

Hello.. been viewing the forum for a while..and from the gist of it, there seems some angst about Lambert leaving in the foreseeable future, for a slightly bigger club (spurs or villa).. Well, think Curbs done a super job at Charlton with a predominately British team of no real stand out players.. much like the current Norwich side.. Kept West Ham up in difficult circumstances (foreign agent using team to advertise players).

What a great job Lamberts done, but for piece of mind about the future of our team in the top flight, it''d be nice to have Curbs in reserve hey, to consolidate prem football. Remember not so long ago when he was being banded the hottest young thing in football management..much like Lambert of today

I thought graham Westley may have been worth a go after the job he did at Stevenage?

Failing that, Eddie Howe would be good, and also get burnley back for trying to steal lambert ;)

Curbishley has always been found wanting in the premier league in my opinion - that''s why he''s not managing there now.Also, I would prefer not to talk about Lambert leaving in case we jinx something!!

When you say ''have Curbs in reserve'' what exactly do you mean? Kidnap him and shove him in a locker somewhere until Lambert leaves?

I think there is a strong chance Curbishley will get the job at Wolves - but since he quit West Ham he has never really expressed an interest in getting back into management. I also think it can be a risk to bring someone in who has had such a long break away from the game.

I don''t think it is worth too much talk about Lambert''s replacement, as the tides can turn so quickly. If Lambert were to walk out tomorrow I could see Eddie Howe coming in or someone of that ilk. Whoever it is they are going to have a tough job emulating what Lambert has done.

I have my doubts as to whether Curbishley (or any manager, for that matter) could keep Wolves in the Premiership. I think that job is rather a poisoned chalice, particularly as the new manager doesn''t have the transfer window open so as he can refresh his squad.

Firstly, I am not going to fall into the trap of thinking that PL will go every time a half-decent managerial vacancy turns up. Why should he? Delia is sensible enough to reward him financially now that she can and he seems more than content with things at the moment ...... those ludicrous boo-boys excepted. Why shouldn''t he.

If it does happen eventually, and like death and taxes etc., then I would hope the baton be passed on to Culverhouse.

"Curbishley has always been found wanted in the Premiership"

You might want to research that statement...

He achieved mid-table plus finishes on a consistent basis with Charlton for many years (7th, 13th, 11th etc.) before announcing his departure and need for a new challenge.

He then had a break before taking over West Ham, winning 7 out of the last 9 to keep them up and then another top-half finish the following year before starting the following seasons with 2/3 wins before resigning due to legitimate claims the board was undermining him.

The only thing that goes against him currently is he long break out of the game but if appointed by Wolves he will keep them up.

Rant.

These kind of threads annoy me in that fans seem are so full of ideas about replacing our current, successful, manager.  

He''s here!   Has he said he''s going anywhere?     Why do we have to have someone ''in reserve''?       He has built a team that is still progressing, improving, why would he want to leave?   Why is anyone thinking about  another manager other than the one we''ve got?     

Fans talking about the ''next'' manager is plain doo dah  if you ask me.  

Give us a break, lets enjoy PL while he''s here whether its for 6 months or 6 years and lets stop talking about other managers coming in until the time comes when we need to.

It''s pointless and unnecessary.   

End of rant. 

[8o|]

Boys and girls, I don''t mean to have a rant but can we please stop worrying about Lambert leaving.  He is a legend, the best manager we have ever had and probably ever will have.  He has saved this club when we could have easily faded into league 1 dross.  Him, Holt, Hoolahan, Culverhouse... what has happened over the last years has been incredible as you all know.But harping on about Lambert leaving is, I am afraid, us living up to our own billing of how big a club we are.  Some people hark back to the 90s, finishing 3rd, Bayern Munich, Steve Bruce etc and talk about how we should still be there, one of the Evertons or higher of the English league.  And yet as soon as we get a chance of getting there, of becoming one of the biggest clubs outside the top 5 or whatever, all we do is worry about losing our manager to a bigger club.  Sad to say this is exactly the sort of worrying that will eventually give him the excuse he needs when he does leave - ''they didn''t fit my ambition'' etc.  We have to stop being so insecure about our club and go with the flow.  Lambert is one of the brightest young managers in european football, let alone english football. We have a smart Chief Executive who can actually bring players in to the club (contra Doncaster) as well. So we have quality leadership at manager level, player level, chief exec level, and ownership level. Not many clubs in the country can boast that.  Don''t want to quote Kennedy ''The only thing we have to fear is fear itself'', but it kind of springs to mind.  Let''s get behind the team and think positive. This club can go places in the next 5 years, but it''s going to need supporters that are fully behind the club, urging us forward, instead of worrying about an eventual demise.

[quote user="El capitano"]Boys and girls, I don''t mean to have a rant but can we please stop worrying about Lambert leaving.  He is a legend, the best manager we have ever had and probably ever will have.  He has saved this club when we could have easily faded into league 1 dross.  Him, Holt, Hoolahan, Culverhouse... what has happened over the last years has been incredible as you all know.But harping on about Lambert leaving is, I am afraid, us living up to our own billing of how big a club we are.  Some people hark back to the 90s, finishing 3rd, Bayern Munich, Steve Bruce etc and talk about how we should still be there, one of the Evertons or higher of the English league.  And yet as soon as we get a chance of getting there, of becoming one of the biggest clubs outside the top 5 or whatever, all we do is worry about losing our manager to a bigger club.  Sad to say this is exactly the sort of worrying that will eventually give him the excuse he needs when he does leave - ''they didn''t fit my ambition'' etc.  We have to stop being so insecure about our club and go with the flow.  Lambert is one of the brightest young managers in european football, let alone english football. We have a smart Chief Executive who can actually bring players in to the club (contra Doncaster) as well. So we have quality leadership at manager level, player level, chief exec level, and ownership level. Not many clubs in the country can boast that.  Don''t want to quote Kennedy ''The only thing we have to fear is fear itself'', but it kind of springs to mind.  Let''s get behind the team and think positive. This club can go places in the next 5 years, but it''s going to need supporters that are fully behind the club, urging us forward, instead of worrying about an eventual demise.[/quote]i agree with every word! its like some people want Lambert to leave to give them a reason to moan!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="El capitano"]Boys and girls, I don''t mean to have a rant but can we please stop worrying about Lambert leaving.  He is a legend, the best manager we have ever had and probably ever will have.  He has saved this club when we could have easily faded into league 1 dross.  Him, Holt, Hoolahan, Culverhouse... what has happened over the last years has been incredible as you all know.But harping on about Lambert leaving is, I am afraid, us living up to our own billing of how big a club we are.  Some people hark back to the 90s, finishing 3rd, Bayern Munich, Steve Bruce etc and talk about how we should still be there, one of the Evertons or higher of the English league.  And yet as soon as we get a chance of getting there, of becoming one of the biggest clubs outside the top 5 or whatever, all we do is worry about losing our manager to a bigger club.  Sad to say this is exactly the sort of worrying that will eventually give him the excuse he needs when he does leave - ''they didn''t fit my ambition'' etc.  We have to stop being so insecure about our club and go with the flow.  Lambert is one of the brightest young managers in european football, let alone english football. We have a smart Chief Executive who can actually bring players in to the club (contra Doncaster) as well. So we have quality leadership at manager level, player level, chief exec level, and ownership level. Not many clubs in the country can boast that.  Don''t want to quote Kennedy ''The only thing we have to fear is fear itself'', but it kind of springs to mind.  Let''s get behind the team and think positive. This club can go places in the next 5 years, but it''s going to need supporters that are fully behind the club, urging us forward, instead of worrying about an eventual demise.[/quote]i agree with every word! its like some people want Lambert to leave to give them a reason to moan![/quote] spot on.

What a stupid idea, Curbishley in reverse is "yelhsiburC", who the hell''s he and how is someone with a name like that going to fill Lambert''s boots?

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]

What a stupid idea, Curbishley in reverse is "yelhsiburC", who the hell''s he and how is someone with a name like that going to fill Lambert''s boots?

[/quote]

Yes indeed, especially as Trebmal is going nowhere in the near future.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Rant.

These kind of threads annoy me in that fans seem are so full of ideas about replacing our current, successful, manager.  

He''s here!   Has he said he''s going anywhere?     Why do we have to have someone ''in reserve''?       He has built a team that is still progressing, improving, why would he want to leave?   Why is anyone thinking about  another manager other than the one we''ve got?     

Fans talking about the ''next'' manager is plain doo dah  if you ask me.  

Give us a break, lets enjoy PL while he''s here whether its for 6 months or 6 years and lets stop talking about other managers coming in until the time comes when we need to.

It''s pointless and unnecessary.   

End of rant. 

[8o|]

[/quote]

Definitely not a rant. Agree with every word.

On the subject of Curbishley though, I agree with the comment above about the Wolves job. Everyone around the guy should be screaming at him to stay away from that job! It has always been a poisoned challice and McCarthy''s achievements there have been monumental in my view.

It is totally the wrong club for Curbishley. But he must be desperate to get back in if he''s applying for it. He has turned down better opportunities than Wolves since he left WestSpam. Been out too long I guess and now finds he can''t be picky.

"Who is he? Who is he?" Alan Curbishley! Better track record than the dross being talked up on the pinkun forum. Underrated now it seems? Have football fans forgotten. He''ll give us the stability needed to establish Prem football. 35000 and the next level. Yes! During his Charlton Prem days he outperformed Aston Villa in his last 4 years in charge. That''s who is he!

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Been out of a job for far too long. Not sure why he could have got many good jobs in the past but yesterdays man[/quote]

4 years. Wasn''t it a better league 4 years ago? Forget about what he achieved at Charlton then. This manager made sure Tevez (didn''t start well with Pardew) was on top form. His first season in the league and somehow keep west ham up in 2007. Finished in the top half the next year with his best players injured. While Pardew was getting charlton relegated. Better manager than given credit.

[quote user="Winning 25"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Been out of a job for far too long. Not sure why he could have got many good jobs in the past but yesterdays man[/quote]

4 years. Wasn''t it a better league 4 years ago? Forget about what he achieved at Charlton then. This manager made sure Tevez (didn''t start well with Pardew) was on top form. His first season in the league and somehow keep west ham up in 2007. Finished in the top half the next year with his best players injured. While Pardew was getting charlton relegated. Better manager than given credit.[/quote]
Agree with that. I think some people are too quick to dismiss him. I''d be happy to have him here.

[quote user="lake district canary"] 

Give us a break, lets enjoy PL while he''s here whether its for 6 months or 6 years

[/quote]

As it happens, it wasn''t even 6 months, lol.

Number ONE candidate in my view. We are a good fit for him, worked miracles at Charlton for 8 years, not 3.

Funny we''re bashing Lambert a bit on loyalty. Then suggesting Hughton, Poyet, Robinson, Malky, etc as our next manager. Wouldn''t that be disloyal of them to join us. A stepping stone maybe!... Curbs was loyal for a long time. One of the good guys I guess, No room for that in football. Good guys come last.

[quote user="a1canary"]Number ONE candidate in my view. We are a good fit for him, worked miracles at Charlton for 8 years, not 3.[/quote]

I certainly wouldnt be against this appointment, alot of it would make sense, im sure Curb''s must be champing at the bit to get involved in the Prem again and prove a few people wrong, plus Delia and MWJ have said a few times in the past that they liked way he competed with Charlton in the Prem with their modest budget and wage bill whilst playing good passing football, maybe just maybe this could happen, no compensation fee''s needed to pay but bags''s of experience, it''s definately one that makes more sense the more you think about it.

Still believe that McNally will go for someone already in a job though, so they can hit the ground running.