Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Lambert looked and sounded angry on CW today.

No need to panic, there''s still another 2 and a bit weeks of this window.

Lambert always keeps his cards close to his chest when it comes to transfers, he doesn''t like letting too much info out until everything is finalised and sorted.

[quote user="87canary"]Give it a rest wiz.[/quote]

No I won''t.

Its obvious you three haven''t seen the footage, he was seriously pi**ed of with the subject.

Without trying to stir, the telling thing was when a reporter asked him if any of the youth players might make the grade in the next 2 years. Lambert said something along the lines of ''that''ll make it 5 years here...that''s unheard of in the modern game''.

I think he''ll leave at the end of the season.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

No I won''t.

Its obvious you three haven''t seen the footage, he was seriously pi**ed of with the subject.

[/quote]I''m sure he is frustrated.My comment was aimed at the ''board misleading him over funds'' snipe.  Which, with McNally at the helm, I doubt has happened.

[/quote]

Probably not as much as the rest of this forum are with your endless sh*t stirring

No I won''t.

[/quote]

He''d just been told of your announcement that we''re going into administration.

If he has been misled about the money available for Jan he will walk. Maybe thats why we didn''t get the three i said we were going for we all know bates will try and squeeze you for as much as possible.

When talking about transfers or rather lack of.

I do hope the board haven''t been misleading him over availible funds.

[/quote]The beloved Saviour does have previous form on this issue Wiz.There''s only one Paul Lambert and we''ve got to look after him or lose him.

Of course he''s frustrated, him and several other Premier League Managers.

Clubs aren''t going to easily let good players done at this time of year. If we had bids for Martin, Wes and Holty, the bidders would be told where to go.

Same with us, you only want to get good players in, PL has said that himself. So who''s selling them? I don''t see much going on, a lot of the usual paper talk and speculation, but bugger all in reality, in Norwich and most other places.

Mediocre players might be available but we don''t want them.

He''s frustrated with the situation as a whole, not with the Board or his Chief Executive! Calm down (again!) Wiz, he knows what he wants and where he can take us, he''s hacked off that he can see it and know how to do it, but can''t get the tools he needs to achieve it.

...anyone would be frustrated.

Does Wiz speak the truth?[:O]

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/12/01/13/SOCCER_Norwich_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

We''ve (relatively speaking) got little money, can''t attract players to some to us and we can''t search Europe for gems because our scouting network is not set up to do so.  It all sounds very grim. 

[:S]

We in great positions and january always is unreal market so If money is silly I belive is better we to play with same group.We are almost full squad at the moment so no need panic buy.At same time WBA seems have huge problems for tmrw lets see...Gareth McAuley - def (13 games, 1 goal, 0 asist)Paul Scharner - mid (14, 2, 2)Steven Reid - mid (17, 1, 2)Jerome Thomas - mid (16, 1, 0)Jonas Olsson - def (18, 1, 0)Chris Brunt - mid (18, 1, 5)Shane Long - forw (16, 5, 0)Youssuf Mulumbu - mid (18, 1, 0)So

they are going to miss players who scored 13 out of their 19 goals and

made 9 asists, including top scorer Long and best assistant Brunt

(missing 5 midfielders in total!).

[quote user="Boris"]
We in great positions and january always is unreal market so If money is silly I belive is better we to play with same group.

We are almost full squad at the moment so no need panic buy.

At same time WBA seems have huge problems for tmrw lets see...

Gareth McAuley - def (13 games, 1 goal, 0 asist)
Paul Scharner - mid (14, 2, 2)
Steven Reid - mid (17, 1, 2)
Jerome Thomas - mid (16, 1, 0)
Jonas Olsson - def (18, 1, 0)
Chris Brunt - mid (18, 1, 5)
Shane Long - forw (16, 5, 0)
Youssuf Mulumbu - mid (18, 1, 0)

So they are going to miss players who scored 13 out of their 19 goals and made 9 asists, including top scorer Long and best assistant Brunt (missing 5 midfielders in total!).

[/quote]

In that case it must surely be our first clean sheet tomorrow.  If not I will be furious!

Wiz, if Lambert leaves it''ll be because he''ll have achieved all he can with us, not because the board won''t back him. Do you really think the board are that stupid to withhold funds from a man who has achieved what he has?

Lamberts frustrations are very likely aimed at players/agents demanding huge wage packets, and other clubs unwillingness to release their best players when they''re in a promotion/relegation battle.

[quote user="Wishbone"]Without trying to stir, the telling thing was when a reporter asked him if any of the youth players might make the grade in the next 2 years. Lambert said something along the lines of ''that''ll make it 5 years here...that''s unheard of in the modern game''. I think he''ll leave at the end of the season.[/quote]

I must admit, I don''t usually buy into "Lambert said...." or looked frustrated therefore I reckon he will leave soon, but after seeing that interview when the journalist asked an innocent question about how some youth players may break into the squad in a couple of years and with Lambert then replying along the lines of ''2 years? That''ll make it 5 here then...that''s unheard of'' - I think that''s the biggest indication we have had yet that Lambert himself predicts he won''t be here in the not too distant future; I also thought it was an odd way to answer the question, there was no need for that to be said. Still, lets enjoy him whilst he''s here.

[quote user="Lambo"]No need to panic, there''s still another 2 and a bit weeks of this window.

Lambert always keeps his cards close to his chest when it comes to transfers, he doesn''t like letting too much info out until everything is finalised and sorted.[/quote]Its hardly keeping things close to his chest when he does an interview on Sky saying we cannot get players because of the wages.

I think it would take longer than 2 years to get anyone ready for the Premiership, especially us.

I bet even the top clubs need at least 3 years to properly develop a player from their own academy, and even then they just loan them out to championship/league 1 clubs after that (i.e Arsenal with Lansbury)

Didn''t Holt or Morison''s body language suggest that they were off soon - according to the Pot Stirrer General ?The same PSG who told us before the close of the loan window last spring that we would sign ''No new Strikers'' - we signed Pacheco and Sam VokesWhether his motivation is that of extreme dislike of our club, some attention seeking syndrom or a combination of the two I''m not too sure but anyone daft enough to take heed of his irrational ranst might do well toremember how he disappears when we are doing well and then reappears when there is somethimg to attack the club with.

Wiz all your doing is putting 2+2 together and getting 5.

Has Lambert said he doesn''t have the money to buy the players? If that was the issue, then i''m sure he would say so. He''s not able to get the players in he wants, probably for reasons other than lack of funds. For a start, why would McNally lie about how much money is available....

Its quite simple - pot stirrers utd - if you have good players you want to get as much as you can for them or you will keep them.   No one, especially in January wants to disrupt their season by losing their better players.    So they make sure that they put very high prices on the players  and you either have to be rich, stupid or desperate to pay those prices.    Fortunately our club is none of those things.

Our beloved manager is frustrated at the lack of action presumably because it would make no sense to pander to those clubs that are holding out for high prices.  I get the feeling that we are not even getting to the stage of talking to agents as I think we would have heard if signings were iminent or possible.

As usual with january transfer windows the deals that there are to be done will be done at the last minute.  Frustrating, yes, but no need to think that PL is getting ready to go.  

The players that really are available will be held out for a dutch auction on the last day of the window.  

Patience!!

There will come a time when all the lower league gems have been bought and polished, and all that remains to strengthen the squad is to sign "established" Premier League players.  That''s where the wage conflict will come from.To be fair to Wizzo, and I have been on his case in the past, the Pink Un quotes Lambert as saying:“Of course it’s frustrating but if we have to go with the group here,

I’ll go with the group here. I have no problem with that. They have been

brilliant for me this season, but it is frustrating. We can’t do the

wages as everybody knows. That is a problem but that is the way it is
."I imagine in this case his targets are established, quality players to bring us on another stage.  If we can''t afford their wages then we''ll miss out.  It rather suggests the problem isn''t the transfer kitty to sign players, but the long term cost of keeping the players as part of the overall staff budget.

Equally could Lambert''s comments re the 5 years be directed at the lack of youngsters coming through our academy who are good enough to play at PL level now or will be in the next year or so (current young players aged 18/19 - 21).  We were a League One club 2 seasons ago and this didn''t just affect the first team.  At that point the present regime had just started and whatever had gone on before re the Academy could not just be overhauled overnight and was probably not top of the list of priorities at the time.

Now that we are a PL team and we are aiming to have a top youth setup then hopefully over the next 3, 4, 5 years and beyond we will see a better quality of young players coming through.  We should hopefully be able to attract better young players and be able to hold onto some of the most promising ones.  We had 2 consecutive promotions which the youth structure just couldn''t cope with (and nor should it have been, who''d have thought, as Lambert said, Premier League in 2 years) and is now playing catch up.

However having said the above, other teams in League One and the Championship have managed to produce quality youngsters and if it was a dig at our current crop of youngsters / and the former youth set up (which I don''t believe it was) then that would be a bit worrying.

Perhaps we are all over analysing it, even me.  It may have been nothing more then, if they aren''t good enough after 2, 3 years then they never will be and if it takes us 5 years to determine whether they will be good enough then there is something wrong.  A combination of Lambert bemoaning that we can''t compete with the funds of some clubs coupled with the lack of good enough youngsters coming through, i.e. he can''t even call on our youth players if needed. 

Havn''t seen the interview, But if the comment about the being here 5 years is true then that sounds like he may be pushing for a bigger budget and making the board think. After all it was this time last year that he made a very similar comment about the Burnley job and that got him what he wanted.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]There will come a time when all the lower league gems have been bought and polished, and all that remains to strengthen the squad is to sign "established" Premier League players.  That''s where the wage conflict will come from.

To be fair to Wizzo, and I have been on his case in the past, the Pink Un quotes Lambert as saying:

“Of course it’s frustrating but if we have to go with the group here, I’ll go with the group here. I have no problem with that. They have been brilliant for me this season, but it is frustrating. We can’t do the wages as everybody knows. That is a problem but that is the way it is."

I imagine in this case his targets are established, quality players to bring us on another stage.  If we can''t afford their wages then we''ll miss out.  It rather suggests the problem isn''t the transfer kitty to sign players, but the long term cost of keeping the players as part of the overall staff budget.

[/quote]

Really?  When?[:^)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Equally could Lambert''s comments re the 5 years be directed at the lack of youngsters coming through our academy who are good enough to play at PL level now or will be in the next year or so (current young players aged 18/19 - 21).  We were a League One club 2 seasons ago and this didn''t just affect the first team.  At that point the present regime had just started and whatever had gone on before re the Academy could not just be overhauled overnight and was probably not top of the list of priorities at the time.

Now that we are a PL team and we are aiming to have a top youth setup then hopefully over the next 3, 4, 5 years and beyond we will see a better quality of young players coming through.  We should hopefully be able to attract better young players and be able to hold onto some of the most promising ones.  We had 2 consecutive promotions which the youth structure just couldn''t cope with (and nor should it have been, who''d have thought, as Lambert said, Premier League in 2 years) and is now playing catch up.

However having said the above, other teams in League One and the Championship have managed to produce quality youngsters and if it was a dig at our current crop of youngsters / and the former youth set up (which I don''t believe it was) then that would be a bit worrying.

Perhaps we are all over analysing it, even me.  It may have been nothing more then, if they aren''t good enough after 2, 3 years then they never will be and if it takes us 5 years to determine whether they will be good enough then there is something wrong.  A combination of Lambert bemoaning that we can''t compete with the funds of some clubs coupled with the lack of good enough youngsters coming through, i.e. he can''t even call on our youth players if needed. 

[/quote]..... plus we didn''t have a reserve team for two years so young players were not given the chance to take a smaller step up from youth team action to see how the performed at that higher level.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]There will come a time when all the lower league gems have been bought and polished, and all that remains to strengthen the squad is to sign "established" Premier League players.  That''s where the wage conflict will come from.To be fair to Wizzo, and I have been on his case in the past, the Pink Un quotes Lambert as saying:“Of course it’s frustrating but if we have to go with the group here, I’ll go with the group here. I have no problem with that. They have been brilliant for me this season, but it is frustrating. We can’t do the wages as everybody knows. That is a problem but that is the way it is."I imagine in this case his targets are established, quality players to bring us on another stage.  If we can''t afford their wages then we''ll miss out.  It rather suggests the problem isn''t the transfer kitty to sign players, but the long term cost of keeping the players as part of the overall staff budget.[/quote]

[/quote]Apologies for not starting that sentence with "In my opinion."  Let me try again.I suspect it''s unlikely we can continue to sustain Premier League survival by purchasing players from the Championship and League One, unless survival in the Premier League will remain our seasonal ambition.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]There will come a time when all the lower league gems have been bought and polished, and all that remains to strengthen the squad is to sign "established" Premier League players.  That''s where the wage conflict will come from.To be fair to Wizzo, and I have been on his case in the past, the Pink Un quotes Lambert as saying:“Of course it’s frustrating but if we have to go with the group here, I’ll go with the group here. I have no problem with that. They have been brilliant for me this season, but it is frustrating. We can’t do the wages as everybody knows. That is a problem but that is the way it is."I imagine in this case his targets are established, quality players to bring us on another stage.  If we can''t afford their wages then we''ll miss out.  It rather suggests the problem isn''t the transfer kitty to sign players, but the long term cost of keeping the players as part of the overall staff budget.[/quote]

[/quote]Apologies for not starting that sentence with "In my opinion."  Let me try again.I suspect it''s unlikely we can continue to sustain Premier League survival by purchasing players from the Championship and League One, unless survival in the Premier League will remain our seasonal ambition.

[/quote]And if we''re only ever aiming to survive, Lambert will be off.