Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

De Laet returns to Manchester United

This is means that another loan signing is definitely coming. We are still going to have to pay his wages despite sending him back. So the only reason behind this is to free up 1 of the 2 loan slots.

Very weird player. He has got a lot natural ingredients to be a very decent footballer. Athletic, decent on the ball and absolutely rapid. But he seems to have too many suicidal moments which indicate he is not a centre back. Given that he is left footed he could be a very decent left back someone. Why has no one at another club tried him there?

I get in before Pete and my thread gets deleted!  [:|] HA!Jenkinson is a no go for me, Arsenal have horrible problems in defence at the moment, and he has no real Prem experience (aside from this season).

What is behind de Laet''s return to Manchester? Is it due to his injury, which seems to have kept him out recently, or are we freeing up a loan position for another player? Or is it both?

I would have to say that I expected great things of him, overlooking that he was nothing exceptional at FB when we played against him, except his pace. I am slightly disappointed. It''s good to have CB with pace, certainly, but at times he was unreliable and you were biting your nails when he went in to tackle.  At the moment Ayala seems to offer at least as much, and with Whitbread playing well, and Barnett and Ward waiting in the wings, plus Martin an able deputy, we probably do not need de Laet.

We wish him well, especially  if the problem is his back trouble.

Hope it frees us up to bring in a midfielder on loan. I have always

liked Howson but I am not sure that he offers too much different from

what we already have at the club.  I can only see Howson fitting in to a

4-4-2 system or possibly a 5 man midfield. Would that be a significant

improvement on any combination of Fox/Johnson/Crofts though? Debatable!

Not surprised by this, infact I suspected this might happen.

He''s only played a handful of games for us and we seem to have done pretty well without him for most of the time he''s been here so you had to wonder if we really needed him for the rest of the season. Injured or not I don''t think it''s a big loss at this stage.

Decent player though.

If its true we still have to pay his wages then this indicates hes gone in order to free up space for another loanee!

Looked classy at times but their was always a big mistake just around the corner and overall seems to me a player a bit over rated cause hes at ManU, where he''ll probably not make it!

Thanks for the efforts though Richie!

i get the feeling de laets loan has been cancelled in order to get a goalie in as cover while rudd is injured. i can''t see the sense in buying someone to sit on the bench for a few games.

[quote user="star_manic"]i get the feeling de laets loan has been cancelled in order to get a goalie in as cover while rudd is injured. i can''t see the sense in buying someone to sit on the bench for a few games.[/quote]Goalkeepers dont count towards the 2 player loan rule.. i expect we will get someone else in now.De Laet was no better than what we already have and always looked on the verge of a mistake... he did ok but we can get better.

star manic -

i get the feeling de laets loan has been cancelled in order to get a goalie in as cover while rudd is injured. i can''t see the sense in buying someone to sit on the bench for a few games.

Good call - I didnt think of that.

Its a shame to see RdL go as bar the injuries and that "1 mistake per game" I though he looked our best Defender in the first few games.

"I''d be surprised if we are still paying his wages."

We signed a contract with Man Utd stating we would do so until the end of the season. So unless we can come to an agreement with them we are stuck with it. The only way out of this would be if some championship team took him and started paying his wages instead.

[quote user="Jacko"]"I''d be surprised if we are still paying his wages." We signed a contract with Man Utd stating we would do so until the end of the season. So unless we can come to an agreement with them we are stuck with it. The only way out of this would be if some championship team took him and started paying his wages instead.[/quote]

It''s hard to say, a lot of loan contracts have a termination clause which allows either team to back out of the deal (usually restricted to only being activated during Janurary in a season long loan).

I''d never been a big fan of his attitude after one moment. I think it was against either chelsea or the game after, when Rudd was playing in goal because or Ruddy getting sent off. Basically RdL made a mistake in a back pass but had a massive go at Rudd for it, telling him to "F**k off". I thought that was ridiculous, not good on a young lads confidence in one of his Premier League games.

that game was WBA where De Laet was at fault for the goal and refused to accept the blame instead blaming Rudd!!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]that game was WBA where De Laet was at fault for the goal and refused to accept the blame instead blaming Rudd!!!
[/quote]

Yes, and funnily enough De Laet was then dropped for the next game and has hardly featured since.  You wonder if it was his attitude that did for him as much as the mistakes. 

A player who had his chance with us but unfortunately failed to take it.

[quote user="baldyboy"]that game was WBA where De Laet was at fault for the goal and refused to accept the blame instead blaming Rudd!!!
[/quote]

Yes, and funnily enough De Laet was then dropped for the next game and has hardly featured since.  You wonder if it was his attitude that did for him as much as the mistakes. 

A player who had his chance with us but unfortunately failed to take it.

I''ve been disappointed with him.When he signed, one of my wrexham mates said that he was a top, top player and we were lucky to have him. All the games I have seen him play in have been littered with mistakes, injuries and bad attitude.Fwk him, I say! We''ve can get, and more importantly we have got better.

Did a job when he played but never impressed me massively.

Came with a bit of potential and i expected to see more than i think we did. Of course, injuries caused this.

Good to see the spot freed up though and hope De Laet can sort his injuries for his career.