Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Chrissy Boy on the tele in the CC semi...

Got some good young players though. Martin looks a little off it and not very sharp but he was never the fastest I guess. Don''t think he''s in PL''s plans anymore unfortunately

I thought he was awful; no comitment, lazy and often showing a lack of quality.

He didn''t have the best of games unfortunately.

That Scannel looks handy.Bit rough around the edges due to his age,but has potential.

Pretty unimpressive performance from Chrissy tonight.

For me it just really raised the issue I''ve always had about him as to where his best position is. He''s not suited to playing between midfield and the striker(s) and he doesn''t really cause defenders enough problems or score enough goals to play upfront successfully in the Championship.

He''s got good technique and some clever touches but I just don''t think there''s enough there, especially when he takes things a bit easy - which he is prone to doing sometimes.

Looked completely ineffectual to me, I''m afraid. Was caught in posession God knows how many times and gave the ball away too. Would not have a snowball in hell''s chance of dislodging Holt, Morro, Simeon or Wes on that evidence. Not remotely surprised he was subbed.

On a wider note, and without wishing to sound too smug, watching that game was a perfect illlustration as to how far we''ve come as a team in the last year. We''d murder either Cardiff or Palarse, and they are two of the better Champ sides.

Agree, although I''m a big fan of CM it currently looks like the others have upped the ante and he''s slipped back. I always believed the saying that he is our best finisher (especially after seeing him in training), but whether he can get into the positions to get those chances is looking doubtful. Definitely not ahead of Holt/Moro''/Jacko, and Vaughan is yet to best properly tested.

...however he''s surprised us before so lets not give up on him yet.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

Looked completely ineffectual to me, I''m afraid. Was caught in posession God knows how many times and gave the ball away too. Would not have a snowball in hell''s chance of dislodging Holt, Morro, Simeon or Wes on that evidence. Not remotely surprised he was subbed.

On a wider note, and without wishing to sound too smug, watching that game was a perfect illlustration as to how far we''ve come as a team in the last year. We''d murder either Cardiff or Palarse, and they are two of the better Champ sides.

[/quote]

Absolutely! It''s difficult to believe we have largely the same squad yet are capable of standards so much higher than our previous levels.

In particular I realised how much better we are technically; all our players seem to be able to control a ball instantaneously - last night a decent take was a source of wonder for the commentators - rarely misplace a pass & are able to make wonderful free-flowing moves a commonplace event by virtue of excellent first touches, awareness & movement.

I''m beginning to think that''s the main quality (technical ability) Lambert looks for in a player. Surman is a prime example; technically brilliant, not the quickest (but his speed of thought more than compensates), & his shortcomings - lightweight, doesn''t tackle - paul knows he can work on. IF the player is willing. That''s why "character is paramount".

As for Chrissie, unless something dramatic happens soon it looks like he''s fallen by the wayside. Oh well. He won''t be the first, or the last.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Thought Chris Martin was poor last night. Can''t make out why Palace want to keep him. Take the money before they change their minds.[/quote]

Do we know how much Freedman is prepared to shell out for him ? In Palace''s current financial predicament, presumably not a lot.

To me he is another Ryan Jarvis type player. Good, but never going to be quite good enough . Does a lot of things quite well, but does not really excel at anything .

If Palarse want to pay good money for Martin, then for goodness sake grab it.  I know one swallow doesn''t make a summer, but after last night''s inept performance (again), it really is time he was binned.

["GJP"]

Pretty unimpressive performance from Chrissy tonight.

For me it just really raised the issue I''ve always had about him as to where his best position is. He''s not suited to playing between midfield and the striker(s) and he doesn''t really cause defenders enough problems or score enough goals to play upfront successfully in the Championship.

He''s got good technique and some clever touches but I just don''t think there''s enough there, especially when he takes things a bit easy - which he is prone to doing sometimes.

Nail hit firmly on the head and this in a Championship level game!

If your football abiliity is coming up short in a game then all you can do is make yourself a nuisance and awkward for the opposition to play against something Norwich have done regularly this season. Chris Martin doesn''t do this mainly cause hes slow and not strong and a lot of the time cause he doesn''t put enough into it!

Like I said on here many times before, Chris Martin was very good for half a season when he 1st burst on the scene and in League 1 but we''ve now moved onto higher levels while Martins stood still so I suspect his time with Norwich will be ending soon!

Chris Martin has enough ability and strength to play at a good standard. Maybe not Premier League but who knows. Others have made the transition from League One unexpectedly. But what sets them apart from Martin is they want it more. I get the impression Chris doesn''t want to be a pro footballer enough and while that''s the case he will struggle to make an impact at any level.

It''s harsh to make too many judgements about Martin in a game where no Palace player looked any good due to their negative game plan and the high pressure situation. The game last night really didn''t suit him as he isn''t an effective striker in a team looking to counter attack.

I thought Martin looked good for Norwich in the game against Chelsea, linked play well and moved into some dangerous positions - his problem is and always has been producing a run a consistent performances together. He''s obviously an intelligent player with a lot of natural ability, just his application of these skills needs to improve. I would imagine he''ll be sold at the end of the season, but I''m sure he can forge himself a career at upper Championship level as long as he works hard and really takes advantage of the skills he has.

It was rumoured that Martin had a 500k price tag, which didn''t seem too bad. Certainly doesn''t warrant a tag near the million mark.

500k was only a rumour though. Whether Palace are willing to pay that is a different story altogether. I have no idea how highly they rate CM, just heard they wanted to keep him beyond end of this season.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I thought Martin looked good for Norwich in the game against Chelsea, linked play well and moved into some dangerous positions - his problem is and always has been producing a run a consistent performances together. He''s obviously an intelligent player with a lot of natural ability, just his application of these skills needs to improve. I would imagine he''ll be sold at the end of the season, but I''m sure he can forge himself a career at upper Championship level as long as he works hard and really takes advantage of the skills he has.

[/quote]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I get the impression Chris doesn''t want to be a pro footballer enough and while that''s the case he will struggle to make an impact at any level.

[/quote]

I think the two quotes above sum up Chris Martin pretty well. It is obvious that there is some natural talent there and the fact that PL seems reluctant to sell would suggest that he believes CM has something to offer us still. But how long can you retain faith in a player on the basis of their raw talent when they are falling behind the other players in your squad. There are plenty of posters who doubted the likes of Fox, Drury, Surman and Jackson at the start of the season but they have all made important contributions. Do they want it a bit more than Chris Martin does? I don''t know but he doesn''t seem to be obviously less talented than them so it does make you wonder.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Some disgusting comments on here regarding Super Chris[:@]  He scored like a million goals in League One, morons![:@][:@][:@]

[/quote]How is that in any way relevant to NCFC and now?