Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Foreign owners 'want end to Premier League relegation'

The Bolton chairman has tried to get this approved at several of the last Premier League general meetings - it won''t happen anytime soon so I wouldn''t worry about it.

Most Premier League chairmen are sensible enough to know it would kill interest in the League in the long run.

And if it did happen it wouldn''t include us. They would be wanting Leeds, one of the Sheffield clubs, West Ham or Forest. Certainly not us or Swansea. Should the Premier League ever be made up of 20 clubs from North/Midlands/London they may try it. They certainly wouldn''t worry if Bolton was one of them which explains their haste.

A completely ridiculous idea born of ignorant greedy people with no passion for the game. I hope it gets treated with the distain it deserves from the FA.

I think this thread is showing a lot of disrespect to ''hinvestors'' young master nutty.

Was it barely a few months back that the mere mention of the word ''hinvestor'' would have certain people falling to their knees whilst making the sign of the cross ?

I don''t think they realise that the Prem is not all about those at the top. A significant part of what makes football so exciting is that you can have so many battles going on in the league and the relegation battle is part of that. Mid-table mediocrity is not exciting.

No relegation works in some sports because the format of the league is different where you will have battles to reach the playoffs, battles for divisional and conference titles event hen those who are at the bottom have nothing to aim for. In these sports (Ice Hockey, American Football etc.) if you finish bottom you get first pick in the Draft meaning you can improve your team. In football you can''t have this system because clubs in Spain, Italy France or Germany would sign the best young players before English teams could draft them.

If it did happen it would be one step closer to Franchise Football. With so many teams in the North West between Manchester and Liverpool I can easily see the likes of Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton moving to other parts of the country where they stand a higher chance of filling a Stadium.

This is wrong and hopefully it''ll never happen. Foreign owners are slowly ruining our game and forgetting what it is that made it so great in the first place.

Davo

Mr Chase would not have allowed this UNLESS Norwich were part of it. After all, he helped set it all up. He would have used his veto. Norwich were highly regarded nationally at that time and had some clout in the corridors of power. The Charlton before Charlton. But Norwich are a bigger fish than Charlton or Swansea. Certainly on a par with Leeds, Forest, Wednesday and the Hammers. Just how big we will never know until we have a stadium that can do the test.

For the record, I would like to lavish praise on David McNally and Paul Lambert.

Won''t happen.

Even if the foreign owners become the majority in the Premier League, the FA have a veto so they could, should, would-we hope, why am I already doubtful?-consider it and reject it.

The very foundation of the game is based upon someone doing a Wimbledon and coming all the way up from non-league...or doing an Oxford or a Luton and going all way down to non-league from the top. Both Oxford and Luton won the League Cup in the 80''s, Oxford the year after us!

Foreign owners will talk of franchising and breakaway leagues and anything and everything that will protect their investments potential income-including making the Premier League not only a closed shop, but one that you would enter by invitation only.

I''ve posted this before as have many others-as far as their breakway league is concerned, let them do it and good riddance. A 20 team Prem without Chelsea, Man City and United, Liverpool and Arsenal? Competitive with less money filtering through it but no lack of interest.

Sounds like sabres are being rattled. Lets hope that the FA call their bluff and let them go whichever way they say they will and preserve promotion and relegation, throughout the ladder in guaranteed perpetuity.

[quote user="Big Vince"]

Mr Chase would not have allowed this UNLESS Norwich were part of it. After all, he helped set it all up. He would have used his veto. Norwich were highly regarded nationally at that time and had some clout in the corridors of power. The Charlton before Charlton. But Norwich are a bigger fish than Charlton or Swansea. Certainly on a par with Leeds, Forest, Wednesday and the Hammers. Just how big we will never know until we have a stadium that can do the test.

For the record, I would like to lavish praise on David McNally and Paul Lambert.

[/quote]

Mr Chase may well have voted in favour of a Premier League including us but he couldn''t keep us in it. He just couldn''t compete and finally left us at the bottom of the league below with the club on the brink of bankruptcy. This is always forgotten by those who hold up our record in the First Division as a benchmark for the Premier League. The truth is that we have never been an established Premier League club. Nowhere near in fact.

[quote user="City1st"]I think this thread is showing a lot of disrespect to ''hinvestors'' young master nutty. Was it barely a few months back that the mere mention of the word ''hinvestor'' would have certain people falling to their knees whilst making the sign of the cross ?[/quote]

Indeed City1st. Lest we forget any mention of a foreign investor possibly being connected to our club would have a lot of posters on here wetting their knickers like schoolgirls at a JLS concert[:O]

Hmmmm...

How about  :   Premier League fans "want an end to foreign owners"Sounds like a much better concept to me. Start with that bloody Russian crook.

[quote user="Big Vince"]

[/quote]

I am going to take this as a serious statement. Since that is the way it is presented. Robert Chase had no veto on the formation of the Premier League. The clubs in what was then the First Division decided to break away. As we were one of them, we did the obvious thing, and went along with the idea.

If we hadn''t been one of them, Robert Chase''s supposed clout wouldn''t have added up to a hill of beans. He could have screamed and screamed, but those clubs in the First Division would still have broken away.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Hmmmm...

How about  :   Premier League fans "want an end to foreign owners"
Sounds like a much better concept to me. Start with that bloody Russian crook.
[/quote]

Do you really believe it is only foreign investors who want this?

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Hmmmm...

How about  :   Premier League fans "want an end to foreign owners"Sounds like a much better concept to me. Start with that bloody Russian crook.[/quote]

Do you really believe it is only foreign investors who want this?

[/quote]Gartside in 2009 suggesting the same idea. I don''t think he is foreign.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/6511001/Phil-Gartside-to-revive-proposals-for-two-tier-closed-Premier-League.html

The LMA are sh1t stirring here and have a second agenda by releasing this story.

My guess is they want more power to control the league then they have currently and take some of that power away from the FA?

My concern young nutty is far less than my concern that, of all the images, you should conjure up is " wetting their knickers like schoolgirls at a JLS concert"

ps how do you add the smiley face things ?

Absolutely crazy idea!

Because -

It would kill all interest in the Premiership and make the Football League very stale cause the carrot of a Premiership place would be no more!

Theirs clubs outside the Premiership that are far bigger than clubs in it this season like Leeds, West Ham, Leicester, Derby, Nottingham Forest, both Sheffield clubs and possibly others. To deny these clubs the chance of getting back in the Premiership would be madness and would seriously effect business at all clubs!

One of footballs plus points is the variety and freshness caused by the movement of clubs between the Leagues through promotion and relegation. Take this away and football would stagnate big time. I follow speedway and the teams go in whatever League they want to and its not the same. Speedway would better if promotion and relegation came into force!

As in the case of Norwich 2 years ago, sometimes you have to go backwards to eventually go forwards. If a club permanantly came at or near the bottom of the Premiership regularly then the club would seriously stagnate, but if they got relegated then they would be able to regroup at a lower level and eventually come back stronger and revitalised!

Despite money having a massive influence on football, League status is still decided by what happens on the pitch. Take this away and football would lose a large % of its appeal!

Look at Blackpools impact in the Premiership last season, they were a breath of fresh air. Take away the dream of getting into the Premiership and then the magic of football is lost!

The Premiership is meant to be the elite League of English football. Take this away by denying better clubs entry through promotion and allowing poor clubs to remain in the Premiership and then the League wouldn''t contain the best teams in England!

Like I said before absolute madness, no doubt thought out by those who have little understanding of football!

[quote user="City1st"]My concern young nutty is far less than my concern that, of all the images, you should conjure up is " wetting their knickers like schoolgirls at a JLS concert" ps how do you add the smiley face things ?[/quote]

My concern City1st is to why you are actually trying to visualise those words[8-|]

[;)]

The whole idea is completely ridiculous. Whether Norwich are part of it or not, my genuine interest is always more focussed on the relegation zone, as it''s far more unpredictable and carries far more drama than a title chase.

HOWEVER, just in case, Norwich were the 17th best supported club in England last year so no reason why we would NOT be included, even though it will never happen.

One thing I can''t get my head round is that, if there is no relegation, the league will become weaker. Why would a Norwich (for example) need to spend £15m on new transfers if they knew they wouldn''t be going down anyway? Surely we could just buy a load of cheap youngsters and finish near the bottom every year, while still taking the money?! Wierd.

As much as we all hate to get relegated, relegation is the forefront of football in this country.

[quote user="flecky76"] Why would a Norwich (for example) need to spend £15m on new transfers if they knew they wouldn''t be going down anyway? Surely we could just buy a load of cheap youngsters and finish near the bottom every year, while still taking the money?! Wierd..[/quote]

Because no-one would want to go watch a team in stagnation or constantly on the end of a thrashing. If we were in a league such as this supporters would obviously want us to improve and compete.

[quote user="flecky76"]...relegation is the forefront of football in this country.[/quote]Unfortunately it''s not - money is at the forefront of football in this country, and until serious changes are made, it always will be.The more I''ve watched of the premiership over the last 4-5 years, the more I''ve realised how much worse the league gets each time in respect of competitiveness, and that''s purely because it''s the same teams year after year that are challenging for the title, the same teams sitting mid-table, and the same teams involved in relegation scraps. Of course you''ll get the odd variance here and there on that, but this is the format the league now takes.It''s no surprise that there''s a strong correlation between the teams challenging for Europe and the big money spenders each year, nor is it a surprise that generally the sides that spend the least, are the ones sat fighting it out near the relegation zone. Money talks, and in the majority of cases the money spent will dictate who gets relegated and who challenges for the league.If we want football to improve from a competitive perspective, then GLOBAL changes need to be made to the game in regards to spending etc, and whilst I don''t like the comparison, it does seem that the US draft system provides much better balance than what we have in football - at least in regards to the player signing aspect, but there''s even less chance of a change like that than there is of removing the threat of relegation, and I genuinely don''t see how you''d apply it across the entire football leagues because it''s just not a scaleable idea, so it''s somewhat of a moot point anyway.Hopefully the rules that UEFA have started to put into play regarding balancing the books, along with the Govt''s determination to see a change, will allow things to improve for football in general, and arguably remove the relegation discussion because the leagues themselves will be much fairer and consistent. Whether or not we''ll see real changes by the end of the decade is another matter entirely...

Say for instance, promotion and relegation was abolished in the Premiership, Wigan who without Whelans money are one of the smallest clubs in the football League would be permanant Premiership while much bigger clubs would be permamantly stranded in the Football League!

Imagine had this been brought out last season - Our great season would of been for virtually b uggerall and the interest levels from fans would of been far far less!

Its so unpractical its painfull. Why change something thats worked very well since the late 19th century!

A mad mad idea thought out by greed obsessed foriegn owners with little knowledge of how League football in this Country works trying to preserve their top flight money pot until they get tired and leave!

let it happen make it the top 6 teams in this league and make it happen across europe then have a euro super league where each year the top teams compete in it. this will then get rid of the Manchesters, chelsea, ect.. and open up the league and make things more exciting

[quote user="Davo"]I don''t think they realise that the Prem is not all about those at the top. A significant part of what makes football so exciting is that you can have so many battles going on in the league and the relegation battle is part of that. Mid-table mediocrity is not exciting. No relegation works in some sports because the format of the league is different where you will have battles to reach the playoffs, battles for divisional and conference titles event hen those who are at the bottom have nothing to aim for. In these sports (Ice Hockey, American Football etc.) if you finish bottom you get first pick in the Draft meaning you can improve your team. In football you can''t have this system because clubs in Spain, Italy France or Germany would sign the best young players before English teams could draft them. If it did happen it would be one step closer to Franchise Football. With so many teams in the North West between Manchester and Liverpool I can easily see the likes of Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton moving to other parts of the country where they stand a higher chance of filling a Stadium. This is wrong and hopefully it''ll never happen. Foreign owners are slowly ruining our game and forgetting what it is that made it so great in the first place. Davo[/quote]

I think what I''d like to see in the religation promotion playoff is the two teams in 3rd place going up and coming down should play each other. so its either stay up or go up, Does that make sence to anyone

pete_norw said: I think what I''d like to see in the religation promotion playoff is the two teams in 3rd place going up and coming down should play each other. so its either stay up or go up, Does that make sence to anyone

If I understand you rightly then it makes sense to me. Do you mean the team who ends up 17th in the prem plays the winner of the playoffs. Who ever wins ssatys up/gets promoted?

Davo

If you mean the winner of the Championship playoff then having to plave the team in 17th that would not work - if only because it would make the playoff final a bit of a non event

If you mean 3rd place playing 17th place that then removes having a playoff, again not too good

As to the suggestion I would imagine,with there being no names mentioned, it''s a bit of scaremongering. However what should be borne in mind that however improbable such an idea is we should not take the TV rights money as a certainty.

the money to be earned outside of Europe will lead to more and more attempts to spread the Premier League games outside of the UK. We currently have to endure long breaks to accomodate mickey mouse football - how long before the ''39th game'' and Blackburns visit to India become a feature of our season.

During the ''winter break perhaps. Seeing the nonsense about goal line cameras it wouldn''t take long to fire up the terminally dim to believe that we need a winter break and off go the teams.

Look at what has happened to international cricket. Endless rounds of meaningless and worthless competitions that serve little, other than to devalue the game and fill the pockets of the Cricket board and other sundry vested interests.

How many of the 12 O''Clock games are played to satisfy the far eastern market ? Maybe we will look back on these times as the days of sweet innocence, when we could actually watch the team in the City of their origin and at a time that was favourable to the vast majority .... not at 6 O''Clock in the morning via an expensive media subsrciption.

[quote user="exiled blue"]will never happen. this morning already the wigan owner whelan has said that if it were voted through, he`d resign wigan from the prem.[/quote]

If it happened like us his team would be thrown out of the Premiership to allow a Sheffield team possibly Rangers and Celtic Leeds ect to join. Maybe our way round it will be for Delia to apply for American or Russian citizenship.