Sign in to follow this  
NWC

England to Pull out of FIFA? - slightly OT

Hugh Robertson has hinted that England could pull out of FIFA after the world cup hosting debarcle, and following accusations of coruption of 4 FIFA members.

Good thing or bad thing?

FIFA have shown severe arrogance in a lot of cases, and have continually battled with the premier league, and basically we got shafted for hosting the 2018 world cup.

Could we as a nation do without competing in the world cup? - remember that includes the qualification rounds, so it wouldn''t be like not qualifying for it.

Say RM has another storming season next time out- an international call up would not be unthinkable bearing in mind the penchant for attacking full backs, and lack of competition in England at RB.

Should he be denied the chance to compete competatively for his country?

We won''t pull out of FIFA, it is ridiculous postering and not backed up with any intent.

Also, we weren''t "shafted" over the 2018 World Cup, Russia had a far, far superior bid than England and won on that basis.

To be honest it''s the Premier League I am more annoyed with, who said they would only back the bid if the FA allowed them to have the infamous 39th game.

I think we have to wait and see what happens with Russell Martin and Grant Holt....if we do have another stormer both could feature for England next season....

I think if we were to pull out it would stink of sour grapes, but it is obvious that the federation is corrupt and something needs to be done, but pulling England out of it will not be the answer....

I believe while Sepp Blatter is in charge of FIFA, then we might as well pull out of the organisation.

The whole organisation stinks of corruption, how Jack Warner and co are allowed to represent football begs belief.

Although, Lord Triesman makes allegations which I hope he can substantiate otherwise we will look like bitter fools.

Non Fifa Affiliated teams get to take part in the Viva World Cup.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_World_CupEngland might actually win something.. Watch out for "northern Cyprus" and "Occitanea".. tricky little group games for sure!

Russell Martin has been tipped for making his Scotland debut this summer, so I don''t think any England v FIFA issues would affect him!

The last thing we want is it for to be like boxing where you have like 8 World Champions, makes it all seem a bit pointless.

FIFA needs a overhaul but unless we can get a least a majority of the major footballing nations to leave with us its a non-starter.

We should start closer to home, sort out the farce that is the FA, then move on to UEFA. When they''re in order we can try to sort out FIFA.

I''d imagine if we leave FIFA at this point we''d also be expelled from UEFA so no Champions League etc.

The only way this could work is if other big nations agree to join in and threaten a break away. Losing England on their own is no real issue for FIFA, but if some of the other nations who were part of the bidding for the 2018 World Cup, i.e. Spain, Portugal and Holland all make a similar stand, then it could be possible...

FIFA Officials are rotten to the core, of the 24 man team that voted for the World Cup venues 14 of them have been accused of corruption ! How can anyone say the vote was fair ? 

And forgetting the England/Russia argument, it''s awarding the World Cup to Qatar that blatantly smells of corruption. Who serious believes that holding the world''s biggest event in a country the size of a postage stamp, with less population than Manchester, is non-corrupt? Especially when there was a real opportunity to elevate the game in Australia... there''s your ''LEGACY'' FIFA. Course, money had nothing to do with that decision...

The sooner we pull out the better. An organisation run by a dictator, where the sport has been kept to the same technological level as jousting, but behind that of fencing and lawn bowls. Congratulations Mr Blatter, "another fine mess you''ve gotten us in to."

If anyone actually thinks we will pull out of FIFA you are deluded. The best we can hope for is an overhaul of the ''establishment'' and even that''s a wild dream.

We should pull out of FIFA in my opinion make them realise that the direction they are going in is wrong. Dinosaurs with goal line technology use idea as well as sticking two fingers up at a technically better bid to go to Qatar and play in conditions unsuited to football.

Worst mistake we made was not hammering the point home after Lampards goal wasn''t given, as we were too busy jumping through hoops in order to try and get a world cup that in all reality was never going to come here.

If we pulled out FIFA would soon want us back when TV income and sponsorship etc gets reduced.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Non Fifa Affiliated teams get to take part in the Viva World Cup.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_World_CupEngland might actually win something.. Watch out for "northern Cyprus" and "Occitanea".. tricky little group games for sure![/quote]

No chance Jas - the Padanian''s will be too strong for us!

If every fan in say, continental europe, or maybe just England, France, Spain, Holland, Germany, threatened to boycott a match, and demanded that their clubs pushed their FAs to leave FIFA and set up a new, values-based international organisation, which allowed fans of clubs to vote in the head of the organisation every 4 years, then maybe, just maybe something might change.Could you see every fan in continental europe boycotting a match ?  Me neither.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]We should pull out of FIFA in my opinion make them realise that the direction they are going in is wrong. Dinosaurs with goal line technology use idea as well as sticking two fingers up at a technically better bid to go to Qatar and play in conditions unsuited to football. Worst mistake we made was not hammering the point home after Lampards goal wasn''t given, as we were too busy jumping through hoops in order to try and get a world cup that in all reality was never going to come here. If we pulled out FIFA would soon want us back when TV income and sponsorship etc gets reduced.[/quote]

FIFA have said that goal line technology will be at the next World Cup as long as someone can provide a system that works accurately.

As I see it, FIFA are useless some of the time, but they are actually pretty good most of the time. Their "mission" is to expand football to all corners of the world - they have done this very successfully. The way it is run is however out of date, and very hard to change as the only people with the power to change it are the ones that benefit from the poor governance. For the FA to try to change it, they have to be a part of it.

I don''t know how many people here actually read the World Cup bids, I did, everyone of them as I was working on it for a newspaper. Russia''s bid was strongest by a long way. Triesman is pointing out 4 or 5 corrupt officials (without evidence I will add) but why did England only get one vote? Becuase we didn''t have a good bid. FIFA made it clear they are looking to expand the World Cup to new territories, how much gain would there be from a World Cup in England? There is also confusion between bribing individuals and offering infrastructure and aid to emerging footballing nations.

With 2022, there are more question marks and potential corruption. I will say that no 2022 bid was any good, Australia had made lots of noises that they were having second thoughts and there was an issue with Aussie rules football refusing to change their season dates. The Japan and USA bid were all to similar and didn''t offer anything exciting - Qatar offered something revolutionary. A lot of absolute nonsense has been talked about when it comes to FIFA (which is also true for the FA). We seem to assume every Governing body is useless, even UEFA or are actually managed very well.

Only allow some countries WTF???What countries would you choose. How would you pick nations? Would you pick Angola but not DR Congo? Would you pick England, but not Wales?Darts and boxing only have some nations because other nations aren''t interested in darts and boxing. Just like team handball - England isn''t very serious about that are they?

"There is also confusion between bribing individuals and offering infrastructure and aid to emerging footballing nations."Dude, one of them asked for a freaking Knighthood !  Another wanted a friendly against England that they would own the TV rights to.And I''d like to know how you''d get this kind of evidence, as in order for evidence to be admissible you''d have to tell the other person you were recording them first.  They are hardly likely to make these requests on record.The 2022 bid should have been done 4 years later.  There was no need at all to have the bid at the same time as 2018, and even Blatter has come out and said that no future World Cup hosting bids will be decided 2 at a time, the reason for this being that you get horse-trading between bids.

"FIFA have said that goal line technology will be at the next World Cup

as long as someone can provide a system that works accurately."They already have one.  Hawkeye would work for this.  It works in Tennis and Cricket, and video refs are also used in rugby .  FIFAs'' argument would then go that blokes who play in the park can''t use Hawkeye, and the game has to be the same at all levels.  For very obvious reasons, the game is not the same at all levels.Although if they sprayed the area behind the goal-line with ultra-violet paint, and used a new ball for every goal, and the ref carried with him an ultra-violet torch, would that work ?Now I''m just being silly...

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"FIFA have said that goal line technology will be at the next World Cup as long as someone can provide a system that works accurately."

They already have one.  Hawkeye would work for this.  It works in Tennis and Cricket, and video refs are also used in rugby .  FIFAs'' argument would then go that blokes who play in the park can''t use Hawkeye, and the game has to be the same at all levels.  For very obvious reasons, the game is not the same at all levels.

[/quote]

Hawk-Eye will intends to be at the next testing of goal line technologies which will be taking place in July. So hopefully FIFA are moving in the right direction with this. But the issue of it being useable at all levels does still apply.

Imagine England have a World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands who don''t use the technology and there is a "ghost-goal". We again will be boo-hooing about it being unfair.

As other people say the whole of fifa is corrupt in my opinion. The fact is Blatter is running on about cleaning up fifa but the fact is he is just as bad as all the others. The election next year is a sham as again there both fifa insiders and the only way you can clean the organisation up is by getting new people in from the outside which unfortunately will not happen anytime soon. I will be delighted if one of these days Warner, Blatter and the rest of these fifa crooks get whats coming to them and get banged up in prison

"Imagine England have a World Cup qualifier against the Faroe Islands who

don''t use the technology and there is a "ghost-goal". We again will be

boo-hooing about it being unfair."If it is introduced, then all national teams would have to use it.  If a game is being covered on TV, then there would be no reason not to as far as I can see.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Also, we weren''t "shafted" over the 2018 World Cup, Russia had a far, far superior bid than England and won on that basis.

[/quote]

For an organisation that constantly bleats on about racism in football to turn around and award the WC to one of the world''s most racist countries seems a bit absurd. But then money talks I suppose....

I wouldn''t say Russia had a far superior bid. We Spent £3m on our techinical bid, which was far more in depth than Russia, and it was only released two weeks before the decision was made!

I think FIFA is a rotten, corrupt Gentlemans club! The majority of them have been on the commitee for more than 25 years, and those same people aren''t going to push for change in the game as they are in such an illustious position. As absurd as it may seem to some people, if you really want to revolutionise the game: goal line technology, take retrospective action (Rooney elbow), fairer World cup bids, You need to say enough is enough, we want out!   

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

For an organisation that constantly bleats on about racism in football to turn around and award the WC to one of the world''s most racist countries seems a bit absurd. But then money talks I suppose....

[/quote]How is their bid better Bethnal? They have pretty much none of the stadiums built yet while we could host a world cup tomorrow if we wanted to, whil we have a better transport network than them. If holland or Spain would have won it ahead of us that wuld be fair enough as I genuinely think they could have hosted it just as well as we did. And come on you cannot seriously tell me that Qatar which is the size of norfolk and boiling hot is a better prospect for hosting the world cup than the Usa, South Korea or Australia?

I suggested at the time that we pull out after we were so obviously defrauded out of our bid.  My idea would be to set up our own tournament with the home nations and any others that withdraw out of disgust with the corrupt FIFA.  I hope we do it and form a competing non-corrupt organisation.  

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I don''t know how many people here actually read the World Cup bids, I did, everyone of them as I was working on it for a newspaper. Russia''s bid was strongest by a long way. Triesman is pointing out 4 or 5 corrupt officials (without evidence I will add) but why did England only get one vote? Becuase we didn''t have a good bid. FIFA made it clear they are looking to expand the World Cup to new territories, how much gain would there be from a World Cup in England? There is also confusion between bribing individuals and offering infrastructure and aid to emerging footballing nations.

[/quote]Absolute nonsense, Russia''s bid was not the strongest by far. England''s bid was even described as the best technical bid just prior to the voting, I think you have missed the point if you think our bid to host the 2018 world cup only warranted 1 vote from Fifa members, despite the fact several of it''s members had made it clear to our biding team that they could rely on their vote only to go back on their word the second they turned their back. What cost us more votes was our media''s efforts to tarnish Fifa''s reputation by bringing up all these corruption allegations. How is it fair that our bidding team should be punished for our media''s anti-Fifa reports when they have absolutely no control over it? The whole voting system is a shambles and that''s why Qatar and Russia won the rights to host the world cup, that and a few brown envelopes. As for pulling out of Fifa all together I really don''t the point unless we had some big name countries to back us up which is never going to happen, hopefully these most recent allegations can help shake up Fifa and get rid of that useless tool Blatter and also change the way the world cup voting system works.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]Absolute nonsense, Russia''s bid was not the strongest by far. England''s bid was even described as the best technical bid just prior to the voting, I think you have missed the point if you think our bid to host the 2018 world cup only warranted 1 vote from Fifa members, despite the fact several of it''s members had made it clear to our biding team that they could rely on their vote only to go back on their word the second they turned their back. What cost us more votes was our media''s efforts to tarnish Fifa''s reputation by bringing up all these corruption allegations. How is it fair that our bidding team should be punished for our media''s anti-Fifa reports when they have absolutely no control over it? The whole voting system is a shambles and that''s why Qatar and Russia won the rights to host the world cup, that and a few brown envelopes. As for pulling out of Fifa all together I really don''t the point unless we had some big name countries to back us up which is never going to happen, hopefully these most recent allegations can help shake up Fifa and get rid of that useless tool Blatter and also change the way the world cup voting system works.[/quote]Technical is a very important word here. The technical report said that England would be the most capable of hosting the games, it however also said that there was no risk that Russia wouldn''t be able to host the games.  When you read the reports did you think it was particularly damning of the Russian bid? If you didn''t read the reports and bids maybe you shouldn''t tell someone who did that they are talking nonsense.Anyway, the technical report isn''t really important at all, South Africa had a bad technical report but still won the bid. The main reason England''s bid had a good technical report is because we didn''t need to build new stadiums; this didn''t appeal to FIFA. It was felt the England World Cup wouldn''t be particularly special or inspiring - it would just mean top level football games being played in stadiums that see top level football week in week out. There wasn''t going to be any new stand out stadiums or landmarks due to the World Cup. Many FIFA members want the World Cup to be a spectacle, especially after the success of the Beijing Olympics and how despite being a technically very good World Cup Germany 2006 was instantly forgettable.

[quote user="ncfc4life"][quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]How is their bid better Bethnal? They have pretty much none of the stadiums built yet while we could host a world cup tomorrow if we wanted to, whil we have a better transport network than them. If holland or Spain would have won it ahead of us that wuld be fair enough as I genuinely think they could have hosted it just as well as we did. And come on you cannot seriously tell me that Qatar which is the size of norfolk and boiling hot is a better prospect for hosting the world cup than the Usa, South Korea or Australia?[/quote]The fact they are going to build stadiums makes their bid better, and more fitting the brief that FIFA gave to all the countries thinking about bidding. As I said above the 2006 World Cup was seen as a disappointment within FIFA due to the fact if didn''t supply any spectacle or landmarks like the Beijing Olympics or the 2010 World Cup. Whether or not you agree with this approach is a different matter, that is what FIFA asked for and what England failed to deliver in what was regarded a budget option. Qatar isn''t "better" than the USA, Korea or especially Japan (I''m bias) but they have all had World Cups in recent memories and supplied bids so bad it is almost laughable (they are basically doing a practise run for the 2028 World Cup). Australia were the only real alternative, but the Government was starting to waiver in its support, and FIFA was worried (legitimately) that Aussie rules football would upstage the World Cup. Qatar promised a dream and an amazing ambition to the aging FIFA members who wanted to leave a true legacy, the first World Cup in the former Soviet Union and Middle East.