Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Is Ipswich Eyeing A Playoff Spot?

It''s not out of the question. They may have designs on 7th place with a hope that QPR gets a significant points deduction. Now, it''s not the likely outcome but it is entirely possible that this is what is in the minds of all those at Ipswich Town at the moment. Certainly it adds another dimension to an already exciting encounter next Thursday. Try to look at it from their point of view. They could beat Norwich thereby putting a huge dent in our automatic promotion hopes and, if all subsequent things went the right way for Ipswich, they might even meet Norwich in the play-offs. Not probable, but remember, football is a funny old game.

no. they will be eyeing it up next season thou. they would basically have to win all there last 4 games. next season thou is when they will go for it and why not. we did.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

It''s not out of the question. They may have designs on 7th place with a hope that QPR gets a significant points deduction. Now, it''s not the likely outcome but it is entirely possible that this is what is in the minds of all those at Ipswich Town at the moment. Certainly it adds another dimension to an already exciting encounter next Thursday. Try to look at it from their point of view. They could beat Norwich thereby putting a huge dent in our automatic promotion hopes and, if all subsequent things went the right way for Ipswich, they might even meet Norwich in the play-offs. Not probable, but remember, football is a funny old game.

[/quote]More chance of being struck by lightening.

I should know better than to ask someone inside Norfolk to look at things from the view of someone outside of Norfolk. I''ll try to improve.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]I should know better than to ask someone inside Norfolk to look at things from the view of someone outside of Norfolk. I''ll try to improve.[/quote]Even the most deluded Ipswich fans know that a possible playoff place isn''t even worth thinking about, even if they win all of their remaining games (unlikely) they still wont make the top 6.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]I should know better than to ask someone inside Norfolk to look at things from the view of someone outside of Norfolk. I''ll try to improve.[/quote]

Even the most deluded Ipswich fans know that a possible playoff place isn''t even worth thinking about, even if they win all of their remaining games (unlikely) they still wont make the top 6.
[/quote]

Try taking off the Norfolk blinders for a moment and read the point that was made. I was referring to 7th place. Better still, to help you more effectively use your imagination, assume that Norwich City were four points behind 7th place with twelve points to play for and QPR to face a hearing on charges of not operating within the rules. You think, under those circumstances, there wouldn''t be more than a few posters on this forum hoping beyond hope that the unlikely might happen. Ipswich fans will feel the same way as Norwich fans under those circumstances. What I suggested is that will be thought process Ipswich and their fans will take into the game with them next Thursday before other Championship games are played. This will add an even greater urgency to a game that will already be on a knife edge. If Ipswich wins and are one point behind 7th place you think their fans are going to just go home and say "Ho-hum."

I don''t think so.

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]Well 7th place doesn''t get you into the play offs so pointless you keep mentioning that really.
[/quote]

Oh, Lord! Give me strength to cope with stupidity.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]I should know better than to ask someone inside Norfolk to look at things from the view of someone outside of Norfolk. I''ll try to improve.[/quote]Even the most deluded Ipswich fans know that a possible playoff place isn''t even worth thinking about, even if they win all of their remaining games (unlikely) they still wont make the top 6. [/quote]

Try taking off the Norfolk blinders for a moment and read the point that was made. I was referring to 7th place. Better still, to help you more effectively use your imagination, assume that Norwich City were four points behind 7th place with twelve points to play for and QPR to face a hearing on charges of not operating within the rules. You think, under those circumstances, there wouldn''t be more than a few posters on this forum hoping beyond hope that the unlikely might happen. Ipswich fans will feel the same way as Norwich fans under those circumstances. What I suggested is that will be thought process Ipswich and their fans will take into the game with them next Thursday before other Championship games are played. This will add an even greater urgency to a game that will already be on a knife edge. If Ipswich wins and are one point behind 7th place you think their fans are going to just go home and say "Ho-hum."

I don''t think so.

[/quote]I think you''re right and that Ipswich fans will fancy an outside shot at the playoffs.  Further, they will see this as another motivational factor to beat us.   Any club''s supporters still think it''s possible, Burnley fans (my father in law, for example) still think they can sneak 6th so the Binners won''t be any different.Though I think the Binner plan is flawed because if they do beat us, we won''t finish 3rd and won''t therefore play them because (a) they still probably won''t make the playoffs and (b) if they did, they''d get knocked out by whoever does finish 3rd.

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]Well 7th place doesn''t get you into the play offs so pointless you keep mentioning that really.[/quote]

[/quote]You''ll need extra prayers for strength enough to cope with "Lincoln Yellow".

One thing everyone should realise regarding Norwich vs Ipswich is that home/away doesn''t matter and nor does form going into the game. Whichever team is more up for it on the day will win.Ipswich will not want to lose and see us go into second place.Ipswich will not want to lose and be "doubled" by Norwich.Just like Swansea may hate to see Cardiff go up after being us, Ipswich would love to know that they ground our promotion chances to a holt with a victory.Ipswich will be looking for revenge after a drubbing on live TV.Ipswich will be looking for revenge on Holt who got them a soft red card.It would make it so much sweeter for Norwich and the fans to know that a victory at their place means second place is ours again; especially with QPR-Cardiff on Monday.---Personally my prediction is that Grant Holt has an amazing performance against a very nervous back line, but Jackson scores the one and only goal.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="Lincoln Yellow"]Well 7th place doesn''t get you into the play offs so pointless you keep mentioning that really.[/quote]

[/quote]You''ll need extra prayers for strength enough to cope with "Lincoln Yellow".[/quote]You''ve not left the house again for a good week or so I see, so in need of your little internet friends to come on and give you a good old chuckle.

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]I should know better than to ask someone inside Norfolk to look at things from the view of someone outside of Norfolk. I''ll try to improve.[/quote]

Even the most deluded Ipswich fans know that a possible playoff place isn''t even worth thinking about, even if they win all of their remaining games (unlikely) they still wont make the top 6.
[/quote]

Disagree - if they get 12 points (unlikely I know), that gives them 71 which could see them 6th. Leeds are faltering and have 65. Believe me Ipswich could STILL amazingly get in the play offs and if we don''t get automatic, that would be a nightmare scenario.  

If the S cum squad are being professonal, playing for their manager (which after getting shot of Roeders end result of an Irish fling - Keano, I think they are!) and got any pride then they will betrying to win as many games as possible!

And yes if they win all 4 remainging games and other results go their way then they can get into the play offs!

""I should know better than to ask someone inside Norfolk to look at things from the view of someone outside of Norfolk."

That was because you posted up -

" it is entirely possible that this is what is in the minds of all those at Ipswich Town at the moment "

Being in the mind of a binner hardly makes it a possibility - in fact I would go as far as to say it means it won''t happen.

If you were on this side of the pond YC you would remember the over excited farmhands waving money at Carrow Road. Dimwittly unable to grasp that having to hand your club over for a pittance and being charged MORE interest than before hardly makes you wealthy.

You might also remember when the same farmhands were warbling on about Operation Premiership, were wetting their knickers in anticipation of ''King Keano'' leading them to that promised land and, I should imagine, if you were to ask they would also tell you that they are all ''cockneys innit, guv.

But then as you say ''Not probable'' Not probable as paying back the local traders they defrauded is not probable. the taxman they cheated and the various other suppliers they conned is not probable, so why is it of an interest to us what these retarded farmhands think ?

As long as they refer to me as sir when I take my seat in the Britannia stand on Thursday night.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]I should know better than to ask someone inside Norfolk to look at things from the view of someone outside of Norfolk. I''ll try to improve.[/quote]Even the most deluded Ipswich fans know that a possible playoff place isn''t even worth thinking about, even if they win all of their remaining games (unlikely) they still wont make the top 6. [/quote]

Disagree - if they get 12 points (unlikely I know), that gives them 71 which could see them 6th. Leeds are faltering and have 65. Believe me Ipswich could STILL amazingly get in the play offs and if we don''t get automatic, that would be a nightmare scenario.  

[/quote]Of course it''s mathematically possible but with so many teams in front of them and with only 4 games to go it would take an incredible run of results for the scum to make the top 6. Such is the unlikely hood of it happening means it doesn''t really add an extra edge to our derby match. Binners will be more obsessed with derailing our promotion push than their outside chance of making the playoffs. 

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course it''s mathematically possible but with so many teams in front of them and with only 4 games to go it would take an incredible run of results for the scum to make the top 6. Such is the unlikely hood of it happening means it doesn''t really add an extra edge to our derby match. ( Go and conduct a poll in the middle of Ipswich and see what percentage of people agree with your thinking ). Binners will be more obsessed with derailing our promotion push than their outside chance of making the playoffs. 
[/quote]

I can''t help you with your inability to think clearly but I can offer assistance on your spelling...it''s unlikelihood.

Sorry Yank I assume you must have already conducted your own survey as you seem to be so cock sure? No.. Oh so why ask me to do one then? At least I can speak to my Ipswich supporting friends to get some kind of insight to what they expect to get out of this season and I can tell you that none of them are even thinking about a possible playoff place. What information have you gathered from the other side of the pond to be so certain that Ipswich Town fans are eyeing up a playoff spot.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]WHERE IS CITYANGEL??? She could put this to bed..;-)[/quote]

She made a very fleeting visit to The Nelson before the game Friday night and left with three men.Does anybody know what Bluemike looks like?[;)]

"I can''t help you with your inability to think clearly but I can offer assistance on your spelling...it''s unlikelihood."

================

I don''t mean to be cynical but surely your original question should read "ARE Ipswich eyeing a playoff place?" and not "IS Ipswich Eyeing a playoff place?"

To answer you''re question though. Yes, I''m sure they are eyeing the playoffs since it is mathematically possible. They can dream the unexpected will happen I suppose.

But its also mathematically possible for us to win the title too, but how many of us truly believe we can do that?

Ipswich obviously want to beat us badly, but I know quite a few of their fans.  Was talking to one this morning, and they are definitely just preparing for next season and have written this one off.They are in the market for two new strikers, and we both agreed that with the teams coming down etc this season is THE season to get promoted.Also Svens Leicester will strengthen, and Brighton have a a big money backer who has paid for their entire new stadium which opens next year.  They can sell the place out, and are likely to spend big.  Thats on top of the teams currently challenging and the likelihood of Ipswich adding more than just a couple of strikers as Jewell has not yet had much to spend.This league is always tough, but next year will be a whole lot tougher!Really hope we get up this season!

[quote user="Wembley_Canary"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]Of course it''s mathematically possible but with so many teams in front of them and with only 4 games to go it would take an incredible run of results for the scum to make the top 6. Such is the unlikely hood of it happening means it doesn''t really add an extra edge to our derby match. Binners will be more obsessed with derailing our promotion push than their outside chance of making the playoffs.  [/quote]Have to say I disagree, if they beat us they will only be 3 points off the play-offs, albeit having played a game more, but the other teams above them have been dropping points for fun. Last season Blackpool were promoted with 70 points. Win all 4 and the scum will have 72, no team gives up on promotion till it is impossible.

[quote user="Paint Me Yellow"]"I can''t help you with your inability to think clearly but I can offer assistance on your spelling...it''s unlikelihood." ================ I don''t mean to be cynical but surely your original question should read "ARE Ipswich eyeing a playoff place?" and not "IS Ipswich Eyeing a playoff place?"[/quote]

No, Paint Me Yellow, it should not be "Are." I agree that in your part of the world many people speak in that manner. however, it is incorrect. Ipswich is singular. Many people incorrectly say, "Norwich are a good team" when, in fact, it''s correct to say "Norwich is a good team." On the other hand it would be incorrect to say, "Ipswich is a good team." [:D]