Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Is Ipswich Eyeing A Playoff Spot?

"however, it is incorrect. Ipswich is singular"

Whereas in your original post you stated -" They may have "  and  " their point " which are plural pronouns.

YC, you may have become confused with what is a singular noun and what is a collective noun. If Ipswich is a singular noun (as you state) then the singular action or doing the same thing - the agreed thought on a possible play off place
(as you state) -  requires that the pronoun is also singular.

On behalf of those from our part of the world

[quote user="City1st"]"however, it is incorrect. Ipswich is singular"

Whereas in your original post you stated -

" They may have "  and  " their point " which are plural pronouns.

YC, you may have become confused with what is a singular noun and what is a collective noun.

If Ipswich is a singular noun (as you state) then the singular action or doing the same thing - the agreed thought on a possible play off place
(as you state) -  requires that the pronoun is also singular.

On behalf of those from our part of the world

City 1st, if you believe your input is on behalf of "those" from your part of the world then, I suspect you are on the wrong forum. Based upon the evidence most will not have a clue what you are referring to.

Secondly, you have a point on what I opened with ( "they may have" ). It would have been more appropriate to have stated "Ipswich may have..."

Where I suspect you are confusing yourself beyond that is that one needs to be consistent grammatically within a sentence. There is nothing to prevent the writer to change the reference within a paragraph. Therefore, when I later referred to "all those at Ipswich" then this is the writer''s option to have moved away from the first part of the paragraph as well as the singular noun. Also, you know that a collective noun can be singular or plural, depending upon the context. Now, I was going to close my response with a final thought but something in your formatting is preventing me, so I am assuming you gleaned your information from Google.

[/quote]

Perhaps the expression ''stop digging when you are in a hole'' might be appropriate here YC."There is nothing to prevent the writer to change the reference within a paragraph" to change ? surely it should be from changing"Therefore, when I later referred to "all those at Ipswich" then this is the writer''s option to have moved away from the first part " - sounds like a translation from Babelfish.

"Also, you know that a collective noun can be singular or plural, depending upon the context" Yes. I explained that in my reply. As the context didn''t change then it is incorrect to change from the singular to the plural. Something I also explained.The information was not gleaned from Google, I worked as a TEFL teacher in my younger days. Whether the fact that I cut and pasted 3 lots of text from IE to Firefox (so I could use coloured lettering) added extra codes I''m not sure. But what I am sure of is that your reference was intended to demean my response and so deflect from your errors. A very cheap tactic.It would have been far more gracious of you YC to admit your mistake, offer a polite apology and move on rather than to patronise people on here with "Based upon the evidence most will not have a clue what you are referring to ". Which begs the question of why, if that is how you feel about folk on here, you felt the need (in the first instance) to ''correct'' someone.As to " I suspect you are on the wrong forum", many from OUR part of the world may think that of you. Not based on this example alone, either.

City1st, whatever you did for an occupation beyond teaching English to foreigners surely must have required you to be in a union. You seem to have great difficulty speaking for yourself without making it appear that you are speaking on behalf of others. Now, don''t be foolish or disingenuous, you are speaking, like all of us on a football forum, strictly for yourself. Something gets up your nose about me, which became more apparent the more that you wrote. That''s okay. We can''t all love each other. I will answer one of your points about my correcting someone in the first instance. When someone obviously does not know something and uses the term "unlikely hood", it might be embarrassing for them if they were using it in correspondence ( under their real name ) such as in a resume. In terms of sharing knowledge on obvious low lying fruit I happen to think that''s a good thing to do. The person is not on this forum under their real name. I don''t believe you had the same motives. With respect to grammar, we could both go on all day long regarding each others shortcomings. Take a look at a few of your past posts. Recently as well. However, some other poster would then quite rightly suggest we get a private room. In any event, I''m much more interested in speaking about the fortunes of Norwich City. Do you have something to offer on the original point of the thread beyond what you had to say on your first post? Do you believe Ipswich and its fans think they have a shot at the play-offs and will it add another level of tension on Thursday night? I do envy your presence at the match.   

[quote user="The Mysterious Owl"]If they beat us on Thursday they will be 3 points off 6th. So its not beyond impossible seeing as Leeds play Reading[/quote]

... and even 7th could be enough for the play-offs as YC has already stated, so there is no doubt Ipswich will be determined more than ever to beat us. It''s going to be very tough, but I expect Holt to have another great game against them.  

" I''m much more interested in speaking about the fortunes of Norwich City"

That''s why you started a thread entitled " Is Ipswich ...

As to any envy at my attending City games might I point out that attending any City match usually requires you to be sat with folk about who you stated

" in your part of the world many people speak in that manner "

When I lived and worked abroad I continued to speak in that manner and was neither ashamed or felt the need to mock it. Nor do I dismiss local fans with snide remarks about " most will not have a clue "

"Something gets up your nose about me" The condescending comments you made about Norfolk folk might get up other local fas noses and did lead me to point out the errors in your pompous and flawed attack upon other City fans. But that''s about it, other than to remind locals of a well known Norfolk saying -

"if you rattle the dustcart long enough rubbish from the inside will fall out, eventually"

I don''t have a problem at all with you YC, but I, and the vast majority of the UK, would never use the singular to refer to a football club. Granted things may be different your side of the pond, but I think you''re on thin ice here. And on 7th place being enough, from a brief look at the table QPR would have to be deducted at least twelve points, and lose all the rest of their matches, to sink to 12th. Unlikely in the extreme.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I don''t have a problem at all with you YC, but I, and the vast majority of the UK, would never use the singular to refer to a football club. Granted things may be different your side of the pond, but I think you''re on thin ice here.

And on 7th place being enough, from a brief look at the table QPR would have to be deducted at least twelve points, and lose all the rest of their matches, to sink to 12th. Unlikely in the extreme.
[/quote]

Fair enough Nuff Said. You obviously know how to put your point across in a civilized manner. With respect to the football, I agree it''s an unlikely scenario but most football fans do not see things objectively when it comes to their own team. Ipswich fans are no different and you can bet that most of them, come Thursday, will have the thought top of mind, "Beat Norwich and we are a point or two from a play-off position with the QPR hearing to come."  

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I don''t have a problem at all with you YC, but I, and the vast majority of the UK, would never use the singular to refer to a football club. Granted things may be different your side of the pond, but I think you''re on thin ice here.

And on 7th place being enough, from a brief look at the table QPR would have to be deducted at least twelve points, and lose all the rest of their matches, to sink to 12th. Unlikely in the extreme.
[/quote]

If Faurlin is deemed ineligible before he signed his new contract in October that is six games and thus 18 points deduction. On top of that there are many other offences that QPR are charged with, so they could be given an even worse penalty. It is only sensible for clubs in the chasing pack to keep an open mind and aim for at least 7th just in case. If that scenario does unfold then there will be a few regretting that they wrote themselves off and went through the motions after realising that they could not make 6th only to drop to 8th and below.