Sign in to follow this  
Excited Canary

Just back from the game...

What a night and what a result! I never ever thought we would win there but the lads have proved me wrong, and in some style! Total domination throughout and I think 4-1 would have been a fairer result! Brilliant atmosphere and yet again good numbers from the green army! Shame only about 20 of us know the actual words to the "I just can''t get enough" song, everyone else just sings "Du du du du du" etc...still sounds good though! Anyone who was at the game can you tell me what the hell the Leicester fans to our left were doing? From about 40-45 minutes they just stood their clapping randomly [:s] and also when they scored they all turned around and started bouncing? [:p]Player ratings:Ruddy 5. Considering we won it seems harsh and the lad has been great for us this season but he was very shakey today! Kicking and distribution awful throughout and there is one incident I seem to remember in the first half, goal mouth scramble and he dropped it twice. Claimed crosses well though.Tierney 8.5 (MOTM). I personally can''t see Drury getting back in for a while. The lad was immense! Hard tackler, up and down the flank all night and produced some great first time delivery.Ward & Whitbread 7.5. Can''t remember either of them doing anything spectacular but kept Yakubu & Vassell at bay all night, won all headers and distribution generally good.Russell Martin 7.5. Back to his best tonight, solid defending and went on some good surging runs too!Surman 7. Can''t say I noticed him that much but did the basic things well & tracked back. Looked neat and solid.Fox 8. Great passing, tackling and awareness throughout.Crofts 8. See Fox.Hoolahan 8.5. Obviously desperately tried to make amends. Great near post header for our first goal and generally tore them apart throughout the 90 minutes. Won us the penalty.Wilbraham 8. Didn''t do to much until his goal, but he took that very well! Picked up the ball pulled it back past the defender and a rather weak shot deflected past the keeper but still deserved the goal. After that his confidence was obviously sky-high and started to show some neat passing and touches.Holt 8. Same old Holt. Brilliant work rate and a fantastic penalty to go with it. I am sure he will be taking the pen''s for a while!So, overall great night out and a bloody brilliant result. I really think this may be our year...OTBC [:D]

Fair scores I think. I though we deserved 4-1 too, it should have been too, Holt had a great chace to either score of set Wilbraham with a sitter but took too long and the chance was gone. The atmosphere was very good, some really good singing and banter with the rather quite Leicester fans. That fat drumming guy always gets some grief! that "have you ever seen you ****" chant made me laugh.

I was impressed by Fox tonight, he looked pretty tidy and covered a lot of ground, as did Crofts as usual. I though Wilbraham looked a handfull too, good hold up play and worked well with Holt and the other attacking midfielders. I worried that with two up front and Wes that we''d be a bit weak in the middle, but this was not the case, Wes seemed to be here there and everywhere.

What a great night, i''ve waited years to see a win at the Walkers Library.

they are doing the poznan,taking off man.city,sounds like you had a great time,if i had of been there it would of been 21 lol, remember seeing depeche in the 80''s great times.....

Just got back home and too tired to post much other than to say how proud I was of the team and fans tonight, what a performance from both.

As for Wes he more than made up for the missed penalty, won us the penalty, scored a goal and gave them trouble all night.

Finally well done Wilbraham, I''m not sure who was more pleased when he scored, himself or the rest of the team who seemed so happy for him.

Thats my 8th away game this season and I haven''t seen them lose yet. [:)]

Spotted your thread after mine, sorry EC.  Great night and great win.

The togetherness and team spirit was summed up when Willie scored.  Good on him and well done city...

Absolutely cracking night!

1 of those where you''re reminded how proud you are to follow City on the road.

Terrific support once again and I have to commend those who travel from Norfolk.

Our back 4 were great and a bit unfortunate to concede twice, I think Surman lost his runner and the other was a cracking free kick.

The real difference were the front 3, Holt and Wilbraham really did lead the line well covering so much ground and allowing the likes of Wes & Fox to play.

Hoolahan at his magical best, brilliant header as well.

I really think we could have put at least another past them but i''ll settle for 3 massive points.

Just back as well! Good fair report that I think.However, saying you didn''t notice Surman is a bit harsh! I thought he was tidy and looked good in front of goal. He had a fair few efforts on target, the best being first half header. Amazing as ever from the fans, we truly are the best fans. Leicester were abysmal. As for the drummer guy, 4th time I''ve seen him and he''s always given us a clap at the end, nice chap.Really could be our year, made Leicester look totally average, if that.

Just back myself, just had to have a pint to help with the driving home and a bite to eat in Leicester to allow traffic to die downAgree with all the comments in this threadIt was my first time to the "Walkers Stadium" and thought what a lovely stadium but in the middle of a shit area.My observationsWe played them off the park in the 2nd half and boy did the Leicester fans leave earlyWe should have won 4-2 Holt shouldn''t have hesitated to set up Wilbraham, but Holt was excellent and showd how not to mess with a penaltyAtmosphere was great they didn''t take to kindly to the "I wanna go hone, Leicester is a shit hole I wanna go home"Loved the fat man with the drum at least he had a sence of humour.And the best bitAll the main teams lost or drew tonight.Well done Norwich every player played their hearts out and got what they dererved.

[quote user="NorfolkChance"][quote user="cityangel"]

Thats my 8th away game this season and I haven''t seen them lose yet. [:)]

[/quote]I''m not very superstitious (writings on the wall), however just out of interest, how many more away games you planning on attending?[;)][/quote]Angel doesn''t know it yet, N&C,  but I reckon with that record we''d best get Tilly and the other residents on the '' Team Fanny Magnet '' bus to make sure she''s bundled on board whether she''s planning to be there or not.....

Just a few quotes form the Foxes site:

Norwich - 8 - Looked like the home team, passed the ball around well, had us chasing shadows. Can''t remember us being dominated that badly at home for a while but our setup contributed massively.

Norwich - 9 - Brilliant, especially second half.

Norwich - best team we''ve played.

Thought it was a terrific performance tonight and the second half we started very brightly and were 2 goals ahed before they knew what was happening. Then Ii never felt we would get pegged back - which is a nice if unusual feeling!

Thought those who didn''t manage to go would be interested in a view from "foxestalk" the LCFC forum

I thought the first half was quite an even contest and we could perhaps should have gone in 2-1 up. Both sides were wide open and both were playing some good football.

The second half though was a different story completely. They simply blew us away, their movement was better, their passing was faster and the looked like a team with a lot of self belief and confidence and I have to say throughly desreved to win. In fact I''d say they were the best team I''ve seen all season. They may not have the top quality players but they just looked like a proper unit, well managed and their front players never stopped running.

So home on Monday let''s get behind the team even if we''re not 4 up after 10 minutes and needs to pass sidewards to create space.

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]Just a few quotes form the Foxes site: Norwich - 8 - Looked like the home team, passed the ball around well, had us chasing shadows. Can''t remember us being dominated that badly at home for a while but our setup contributed massively. Norwich - 9 - Brilliant, especially second half. Norwich - best team we''ve played.[/quote]

My mate who is a leicester fan sent me a text last night at about twenty past nine..

''Already walked out mate. Fair play to you, you got a good team there''

We must have been absolutely awesome for him to admit anything as he always has his ''leicester goggles'' on

I thought I had best text him the final score when it finished just in case he didn''t already know! [;)]

Cracking game, cracking support from us, although I think it''s harsh to call the Leicester fans quiet - of the six away games I''ve seen I thought they were the best  (and I''ve not seen us lose either - got my tickets for Hull too so fingers crossed!).I think Tierney looked good because Leicester let him play, he had so much space and time he could really exploit it. I wondered if Lambert might give McNamee a run-out because of it. Hoolahan was MOTM for me and credit to our fans for calling for him when we got the penalty, although I think a lot of us were a little bit relieved secretly when Holt stood up to take it! But I want to highlight old Wheeliebin - I think he gets better and better. He was getting stick again in patches from our crowd, although a lot of it was good natured, but after the goal celebrations he made a point of clapping us. He works really hard, gives us an outlet especially when Holt goes wandering and should have had a really good second chance to score if Holt had passed to him earlier when he was through at the end.As someone has already said on here, what''s so great about I Just Can''t Get Enough? It''s not a City song, lots of teams sing it. And "**** is a sh*thole" is - for me - just stupid. It''s either plain wrong (e.g. Leeds) which just makes us look ignorant, or accurate (Barnsley) which makes me sad for the poor gits who have to live there. Speaking of which, has anyone been to Colchester recently? I was there last weekend and it''s starting to look like a warzone.

Terrific night on the road, a story which is becoming all to common these days. i can''t really remember us being this good away from home at any time in my supporting lifetime. I''m sure in the initial prem days we were decent but the sheer consistency we have now is excellent.

2,300 Norwich fans which is a very decent turnout for a Tuesday night and we made some good noise. That ground has good acoustics which made for a lively atmosphere and some good old fashioned banter with their fans. Also hats off to their stewards and my fellow away fans as unlike Leeds we were not told to sit down once throughout the 90 minutes (by a steward or a grumpy old sod behind) which simply helped add to the atmosphere.

First half I thought we shaded but there was not much in it. We weathered a bit of an early storm before we got our passing game going. After that we we generally had more of the ball and knocked it around well but their looked a bit more threatening going forward with their front two making some good runs and midfielders making late runs into the box which we struggled to track at times. They had a couple of far post headers they should have done better with but we were also creating chances at the other end and 1-1 at half time was a fair scoreline.

Second half though we totally bossed it from start to finish. Came out really well, took the game to them and got our reward immediately with the pen (which i was surprised we got - there was contact but I thought Wes had overrun it). After that their defence went to peices and we could (and probably should) have scored with virtually every attack for a 15 minute spell where we seemed to have an extra man and threatened to overrun them. Fair play to Wilbraham for the control and turn for his goal although it was fortunate in that I think the keeper would have saved it were it not for the deflection. After that we rather sat back and soaked it all up but still looked dangerous on the break and should have made it 4-1 when Holt broke through and tried to set up Wilbraham but played it too close to the keeper. In truth, he probably had too much time to decide what to do and took the wrong option. Was a bit disappointed with the free kick at the end as goal difference could be crucial and from where i sat i thought Ruddy had got across so was surprised to see it hit the net.

Thought all the players played well but special mentions to Fox (bossed the game from start to finish), Hoolahan (unplayable at times - love him), Holt (as always, there is not a harder workingh centre forward in this country) and the much maligned (admittedly by me as much as anyone) Wilbraham (purely for the goal and effort. He still showed some awful touches at times but he puts himself about, did some good stuff and after the goal showed renewed confidence).

All in all an excellent evening and now we must build on it by beating Bristol City. Not an easy game given their recent form.

Loving your brackets, Jim.

Great match report, really makes me wish I''d been there. Well done to the 2300 who made their way to Leicester last night - glad you got what you deserved.

Let''s hope that the home fans can give this wonderful team the support they deserve on Monday. They''re clearly getting it away from home.

I can only agree with the earlier posters about last night thoroughly enjoyable night. A couple of thoughts spring to mind:-

The defence and Fox dropping back played the ball accross the back line looking for space a lot and although there were a couple of sticky moments it payed dividends. Perhaps if at home loads of people didn''t moan everytime a ball was played sideways or back we would look as comfortable at home as we often are away. It reminded me of the old Muhamad ali rope-a dope as Leciester were often chasing the ball and wasting a lot of energy.

The other point I would make to those who thought we should have tried to sign Yakubo on loan; based on last nights performance no-thanks.

[quote user="Excited Canary"]

Player ratings:

Ruddy 5
. Considering we won it seems harsh and the lad has been great for us this season but he was very shakey today! Kicking and distribution awful throughout and there is one incident I seem to remember in the first half, goal mouth scramble and he dropped it twice. Claimed crosses well though.

[/quote]

Just seen the goals (thanks Adam). Not sure that Ruddy was at fault for the first. It''s hard to predict the bounce of a ball with a header like that. But his positioning was wrong for the second. He is virtually standing on his goal line when the free kick is taken (instead of being a yard or more in front of it to cut down the angle) and ends up having to dive forwards as well as sideways.