Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Anyone "Back from Hull", yet?

Come on folks, surely someone back with a report by now.Had a few texts saying it was a cracking game and nailed on penalty but would appreciate a first hand report ASAP.Ta.

Very few chances for either side.

Holt had a complete ''off'' day

Lansbuy was good.

Definate penalty at 1-0, Ref was 5 yards away.

Matty Fryatt was a real handful

Were were our own worst enemies in the first half

2 class saves by Ruddy.

Although we werent at our best, If we get through the Swansea game without losing, I really cant see us getting beat again this season.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Very few chances for either side.

Holt had a complete ''off'' day

Lansbuy was good.

Definate penalty at 1-0, Ref was 5 yards away.

Matty Fryatt was a real handful

Were were our own worst enemies in the first half

2 class saves by Ruddy.

Although we werent at our best, If we get through the Swansea game without losing, I really cant see us getting beat again this season.[/quote]Thanks CDM.I fully agree with the last line. I get the feeling that the boys believe they will do it.

[quote user="ricardo"]Come on folks, surely someone back with a report by now.

Had a few texts saying it was a cracking game and nailed on penalty but would appreciate a first hand report ASAP.

Ta.
[/quote]

Wouldn''t have thought the Norwich contingent would be back much before 9pm Ricardo, last time I went it was gone 5.30pm before we got out of Hull and then its a good 3 hours back and thats if you dont stop on the way back.

Heard from somewhere there that it was a stonewall penalty but like you will see what people have to say when they get back.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Come on folks, surely someone back with a report by now.Had a few texts saying it was a cracking game and nailed on penalty but would appreciate a first hand report ASAP.Ta.[/quote]

Wouldn''t have thought the Norwich contingent would be back much before 9pm Ricardo, last time I went it was gone 5.30pm before we got out of Hull and then its a good 3 hours back and thats if you dont stop on the way back.

Heard from somewhere there that it was a stonewall penalty but like you will see what people have to say when they get back.

[/quote]Last time I went to Hull we lost 1-2 (Dion scored our goal)We were home just after 7.30. Mind you, my son drives a bit quick.

Never seen a more obvious pen, right in front of the ref I have no idea how he didn''t give it. Draw was probably fair in the end based on the general balance of play. Thought we had the edge in the first half, they had us pinned back for the first part of the second half and then at the end we looked the most dangerous but they had a couple of counters. Don''t think we defended particularly well today but Hull aren''t a bad side.

OTBC

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Come on folks, surely someone back with a report by now.

Had a few texts saying it was a cracking game and nailed on penalty but would appreciate a first hand report ASAP.

Ta.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Last time I went to Hull we lost 1-2 (Dion scored our goal)

We were home just after 7.30. Mind you, my son drives a bit quick.
[/quote]

Last time we went to Hull we won but it took us 30 mins to get out of the car park and 3 hours home but we did stop for a coffee [:)]

Yeh. we were not at our best today but im happy with a point!! Ref didn''t give a pen, the Dean Windass look alike linesman had the better veiw and didn''t flag !!

here is a quick rating

Ruddy 7-Not much to do but made a couple of good saves

Tierney 6-Played ok looked a bit dodgey positionally

Martin 7-Solid and would of won us a stonewall penalty if it wasn''t for the ref!!

Whitbread 8- Won most headers and was solid also scored..... my MOM

Ward 7- Also won most headers looks a bit dodgey when passing at the back

Surman 5-Needs a rest

Fox/Crofts 7-Played ok, Fox went off injured (i think) and Crofts played alot better second half getting more stuck in.

Lansbury 7/8-Worked hard today and had a good chance to score but looked like he was fouled in the build up, best ive seen him so far this season(but i dont go to many games)

Hoolahan 8-Same as ever but perhaps held on to the ball abit to long on a couple of occasions,

Holt 6-None existent in the 1st half played a lot better 2nd half, looks a little tired to be honest!

"We were home just after 7.30."

Blimey, that''s going at a fair old lick

over 150 miles

[quote user="City1st"]"We were home just after 7.30."

Blimey, that''s going at a fair old lick

over 150 miles[/quote]Yeah, I know.Now you know why I gave up going to away matches. Not good for the heart, in more ways than one.

lightweight !

My old grandad used to take me to games on his crossbar when I was a nipper - used to leave the bike along riverside

that was I gave up away games

[quote user="City1st"]lightweight !

My old grandad used to take me to games on his crossbar when I was a nipper - used to leave the bike along riverside

that was I gave up away games[/quote]Ha Ha, I remember those biking days City 1st.I used the bike park at the corner of the Barclay and South stands. It cost 3d (in old money).Happy days.

Travelled on the cross country express and have been back in my northern base for a while now, plenty of time for reflection on a tough away day.

I feel it is important to stress that the quality of the pitch at the KC hampered many of our moves today, with Wessi in particular struggling to bring the ball under control in the blink of an eye as many will be familiar with when on home turf.

The first half was a tight affair with Hull''s front two looking tricky to handle at times, especially with the likes of Koren and Rosenior supporting the attack. Despite this Hull''s best early chances came from uncharacteristic errors when passing the ball around from the back reminiscent of Swansea''s horror goal last weekend. Ruddy was reliable as ever though when shots did make it through and I don’t think the faithful behind the goal where ever too scared.

Our goal came from a free kick taken by Fox who planted the ball onto the head of the giant Whitbread who out leapt the onrushing Guzan to head into an empty net. We were good value for the lead on the whole although Hull did make us work hard at times. In fairness they really should have equalised but somehow Harper skied over from only a few yards after a Fryatt pullback.

We had struggled at times with Wes hardly involved at times in the first half in particular.

Second half saw a clever tweak to the formation from Lambert with Lansbury swapping with Wes. Hull were quick to pressure after the restart however we soon started to show our class with impressive passing and moving soon leading to us looking a real threat. We have developed a trusted way of playing in which moments of defence our soon converted into us attacking by way of slick passing and Fox spreading the ball wide.

One of these moves involving Lansbury and a clever Holt knockdown allowed the ever impressive Martin to break into the box with only Dawson and Guzan to beat. He was composed on the ball and looked to make space to shoot. Unfortunately, Dawson had obviously tired of wearing the hideous Hull kit and decided he would take Martins off his back in the crudest of fashion. Fair play to Martin, he held firm and got his shot away when others would have surely tumbled, most likely believing a penalty decision was only seconds away. To the despair of the faithful behind the goal no decision came and Martin was clearly livid squaring up to Dawson. At this point all faith in the referee was lost and we knew we''d have to do it the hard way. Decisions started going against us for a while although we got on with things and continued to look classy.

On 60 minutes Lappin cam on for Surman who seemed a tad tired and immediately looked up for the challenge, tackling sharply looking to ping his trademark balls into the box whenever possible.

A Hull break down the wing was nearly ended when Martin mistimed his tackle sending their player flying, however the referee who had played advantages throughout the afternoon let play continue allowing Fryatt to set up Barmby for a simple finish.

This merely meant that City turned up the heat with Lambert making a surprise change with Fox being replaced by Jackson. This was a very pleasing change as the intent was clearly there as we went for the jugular in the final 10-15 minutes. Holt and Lansbury were causing all sorts of problems, outmuscling their defence and knocking the ball on for our supporting players regularly now.

There were three chances at the end that on another day would have seen us celebrating a win. Jackson turned brilliantly when it looked it had been forced wide. His shot was hit with power across the goal and would have surely nestled in the bottom corner if it had been a few inches higher. As it was Guzan pulled of a match winning save, tipping it around the far post.

A Holt knockdown then set Lansbury through on goal, although he was under immense pressure and as tried to poke the ball goal ward as Guzan rushed to block. Unfortunately it was agonisingly wide by a few inches and Jackson was unable to get to the by-line in time to squeeze it in despite his best efforts.

Hull remained a threat on the break having made attacking changes themselves, although their chances were predominantly long shots coming after a back line had shepherded them well, never really troubling Ruddy despite one flashing just wide near the death.

Finally Wes looked to beat about 5 of their defenders by jinking through to goal after breaking into their penalty area. I thought I was about to witness one of the all time great goals but again Hull were able to block at the last with Wes having skinned about 4 of them.

1-1 was probably a fair result although we certainly feel hard done by considering the blatent foul on Martin when through on goal. We showed that we can battle hard and can play on poor quality pitches.

The fans were awesome away again with Lambert and the team quick to acknowledge us at the end.

MoM: is tough again although Henri Lansbury probably just nicks it for never letting Hull rest for the full 90.

Just back.

Should have been a penalty, Hull done there at homework and it was one of those games when it was ten minutes for us, then them etc etc.

I thought Crofts and Fox look jaded, same with Holt. We looked better when we pushed Lansbury up front, who played well. Wes gave the ball away a lot, but the trickery for the nearly goal was superb, how that didn''t go in. Jackson looked good when he came on.

Zak, awesome, Ward shaky at times. I think it was a fair result in the end, as they had some chances.

Fans quiet on both sets, strangest goal celebrations I have seen as the ball looked like it was heading straight to the keeper then it went in, took a second for everyone to realise.

MOM, Lansbury, close second Zak.

I really believe now.

Sounds like our boys are tired..hopefully this international break is at the perfect time (plus Crofts and Zak don''t get injured)

Back now after a few drinks in hull and Beverley!

Agree it was a strange match, we dominated for spells as did they but thought we had the majority of the last 10 minutes and probably should have won. was it lansbury that got clear and shanked the shot just wide. then Hoolahan took on about seven players before tripping before he could get the shot away! ALso RUssell foul looked like a penalty from where I was sat (block 47)

is it me or has russells crossing been poor of late? also being ultra critical (they both played ok) I also thought Fox and crofts looked a bit off the pace.

Good to see lapin back on the pitch, he looked lively

The break might do Holt the world of good, he''s probably ready for it.  He works tirelessly every game, often doing the work of two.  His style of play, harassing defenders, getting knocks and fouled must be very exhausting.

[quote user="Brighton Yellow"]Travelled on the cross country express and have been back in my northern base for a while now, plenty of time for reflection on a tough away day..." "...We showed that we can battle hard and can play on poor quality pitches.

The fans were awesome away again with Lambert and the team quick to acknowledge us at the end.

MoM: is tough again although Henri Lansbury probably just nicks it for never letting Hull rest for the full 90.[/quote]Back too, completely agree with your match report... a draw was probably a fair result but we definitely should have had a pen for the russell martin situation!

We left Stadio KFC at approx 17.04 and arrived home in Norwich around 20.19. We would have been home sooner but for an HGV going at 40mph on the A15 and some other spoons who don''t deserve a driving licence. I''m no Cap''n "gerrout of me bleedin'' way" Turbo-nutter barsteward.....but some other doddering, mind meandering, slug footed farts who think a rear-view mirror is specifically fitted to their vehicle to check for spinach on their teeth - certainly doesn''t assist progressive driving and allow folk to make decent headway.....

Anyway, I parked on the waste ground ''Park and Ride'' area near to the stadio del ''ULL not far from the ''left turn only'' exit. Straight out onto the main road and over the Humber Bridge before you could say "That tubby useless lino and myopic ref, were downright absolute pump!''

Was a draw a fair result? Yeah, I suppose so....(But we should have won it).....With CMS partnering Holty....[;)]

I went on the Club canary coaches, Got back to Norwich at about 8:55, back in Yarmouth at half 9. Draw was probably a fair result, but both sides had enough chances to take all 3 points. Rosenior and Fryatt caused us problems while Lansbury was always threatening when in possession. Just a pity the referee didn''t realise we were playing football and not rugby when Martin was through on goal before he got tugged back! Decent result though, we now have a break to freshen up/get players recovered from knocks and hopefully we can get the win against Scunthorpe on the 2nd of April

[quote user="ryan1992"]I went on the Club canary coaches, Got back to Norwich at about 8:55, back in Yarmouth at half 9. Draw was probably a fair result, but both sides had enough chances to take all 3 points. Rosenior and Fryatt caused us problems while Lansbury was always threatening when in possession. Just a pity the referee didn''t realise we were playing football and not rugby when Martin was through on goal before he got tugged back! Decent result though, we now have a break to freshen up/get players recovered from knocks and hopefully we can get the win against Scunthorpe on the 2nd of April[/quote]

Sounds like the draw was a fair result from what people who went have posted.

Felt like we had lost yesterday but after a good nights sleep am thinking that it was a good point there.

In a nutshell this game highlighted what is probably our only problem towards automatic promotion. Holt has no proven striker support !! Paul Lambert basically juggled but it did not quite work. We started with Wes well forward and Lansbury wide on right - not very successfull. After 30 mins or so Wes reverted to normal position and Lansbury further up with Holt. Lansbury worked hard and was a general nuisance but they did not gel. Jackson came on towards the end. Had little impact but one good shot.

In the first half Ruddy made a temendous stop and Harper missed a sitter. Our goal was a bit soft - goalkeeper error. Secondhalf we struggled for first twenty five minutes and just could not get any grip on game. Their goal was "bound to come". As usual we fought back well but just could not nick it on this occasion. Martin''s "penalty" was one of those given six times out of ten. Probably not awarded because there was a fair amount of pulling and tugging either way before he went down.

I do feel that particularly away from home we cannot play both Lansbury and Surman and we looked much better balanced when Lappin came on. As I said 3/4 months ago Lappin is a better allround player and made several useful crosses. Surman does not cover very well and left Tierney badly exposed for much of the time he was on the pitch.

Overall a fair result. It was not one of our better performances and we were disjointed because of the frequent changes in our formation, but teamwork and fighting spirit saw us through.