Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

That Penalty...

I think people forget that Wes used to play for Blackpool. He obviously still harbours dislike for Preston. When he played for Pool v Preston he tried the same thing and scored, and it went down in Blackpool folklore as a magical moment of individual craft. If it had gone in today, we would all be praising the fact he had the balls and the cheek to go for such an audacious penalty. Besides, he''s taken probably 10-20 pens, and missed what...three? Technically, he''s our best player by a country mile. You''re a bloody idiot if you don''t think so.

Exactly so missing one penalty and he shouldn''t take them again? He''s an outstanding penalty taker usually.

There are people on this board that plain REFUSE to level any kind of critisism at this team no matter what they do, even when it is clearly deserved.

He made a stupid mistake, one that could proove very costly to us.

What the hell he was thinking only he knows.

That he could score?

There aren''t people who refuse to let any kind of criticism. There are overly optimistic people, and people who don''t agree with the level of criticism towards some people. For me, i''m purely not happy with the term unprofessional.

Some people have been getting the wrong end of the stick, and seem to be defending Wes in general. I don''t think anyone is suggesting he''s rubbish. But today he did make a mistake, and its one of MANY that lost the game. (Wes wasn''t the only player on the pitch, one penalty miss does not equal a draw or loss, its a team game. It is a big element in the failure to win, but is certainly not the only one.)

[quote user="the1englishman"]There are people on this board that plain REFUSE to level any kind of critisism at this team no matter what they do, even when it is clearly deserved.

What the hell he was thinking only he knows.[/quote]Stupid mistake without question, and I''m sure he regrets it massively, but I think people must be idiots if they think that our entire season will boil down to two dropped points at home to Preston.

Everyone saw his reaction after the penalty to know how much it affected him and whether it was stupid or audacious or whatever we need to get behind him so he can get back to what he does best. Its happened and it is pathetic to dwell on it. A win tuesday and you will all forget about it. 

Very good point Crofts.

If Wes came and read all these overly negative comments about his penalty, how do you think he would react?

He is probably our best player (very subjective, but i think most would agree that he is our best ''technical'' player) and ONE penalty miss is getting him so much bad attention. And the whole season will not boil down to this one mistake.

Sometimes I wonder how many people on this board actually go to games or even support City, to the extent that they know a bit about the club.

How can someone say Wes has probably ''taken 10-20 penalties and missed, what 3?'' There is quite a considerable difference between missing 3 out of 10 and 3 out of 20, is there not? It seems to be the comment of someone who has no idea how many pens Wes has actually taken.

Missing a third of pens and missing a sixth, is significantly different, lets hope Lambert knows the correct stats.

For the record, todays pen was unprofessional and I suspect we will never see Wes take another. Not only did it stop us going 2-1 up (pens are often missed, I accept that) but the nature of how absurd it was, seemed to knock the wind completely out of out sails and certainly affected Wes.

Blackpool fan here. I had to smile at what happened today. Wes clearly wanted a repeat of his most pinnacle moment at Blackpool when he successfully chipped a penalty to beat Preston 1-0 right in front of 5000 delirious Blackpool fans in the derby match at Deepdale. Shame it went wrong today as it would have been a treasured moment for you. I am still amused that Wes chose Preston again for such a thing. He clearly wanted to try and rub their noses in it as a former Blackpool hero.This was Wes''s successful one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Wqk4i1d3g

^ Raised the above point in the other thread. If it hadn''t been Preston we were playing he wouldn''t have tried it.

From where I was sitting the penalty was difficult to see properly and it looked to me that Wes tried to chip the ball to the keepers left? if so could he have seen the keeper going the right way and then tried to lift it? I would have though that he would have gone central if he was looking to just showboat.

Having said the above reading about the Blackpool incident maybe he was a little distracted?

[quote user="Clint"]Sometimes I wonder how many people on this board actually go to games or even support City, to the extent that they know a bit about the club.

How can someone say Wes has probably ''taken 10-20 penalties and missed, what 3?'' There is quite a considerable difference between missing 3 out of 10 and 3 out of 20, is there not? It seems to be the comment of someone who has no idea how many pens Wes has actually taken.

Missing a third of pens and missing a sixth, is significantly different, lets hope Lambert knows the correct stats.

For the record, todays pen was unprofessional and I suspect we will never see Wes take another. Not only did it stop us going 2-1 up (pens are often missed, I accept that) but the nature of how absurd it was, seemed to knock the wind completely out of out sails and certainly affected Wes.[/quote]

I''m 16 years old and missed five home games since 1997, got my season ticket at three years old.

None of that matters, only mentioning it because of your veiled criticism of my support of the club.

I apologise wholeheartedly for not trawling through Hoolahan stats.

Pertaining to the fact that I can''t remember how many he''s scored for us ( a fair few) but can remember the three misses (there may be one more, not sure): Colchester, QPR and today.

Surely that shows how successful he''s been as a penalty taker, and a brilliant creative force for the club?

Lambert said on the radio if Wes shows he wants it, he can have the next one.

So clearly it is you who doesn''t pay enough attention to the club, not me.

Thanks for your time.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="the1englishman"]There are people on this board that plain REFUSE to level any kind of critisism at this team no matter what they do, even when it is clearly deserved.

What the hell he was thinking only he knows.[/quote]Stupid mistake without question, and I''m sure he regrets it massively, but I think people must be idiots if they think that our entire season will boil down to two dropped points at home to Preston.[/quote]

Oh my go lord !

Have you looked at the table ?

It doesnt get any closer than that, so yes one or two points could make a MASSIVE difference !

[quote user="Clint"]Sometimes I wonder how many people on this board actually go to games or even support City, to the extent that they know a bit about the club.

For the record, todays pen was unprofessional and I suspect we will never see Wes take another. Not only did it stop us going 2-1 up (pens are often missed, I accept that) but the nature of how absurd it was, seemed to knock the wind completely out of out sails and certainly affected Wes.[/quote]

I''m 16 years old and missed five home games since 1997, got my season ticket at three years old.

None of that matters, only mentioning it because of your veiled criticism of my support of the club.

I apologise wholeheartedly for not trawling through Hoolahan stats.

Pertaining to the fact that I can''t remember how many he''s scored for us ( a fair few) but can remember the three misses (there may be one more, not sure): Colchester, QPR and today.

Surely that shows how successful he''s been as a penalty taker, and a brilliant creative force for the club?

Lambert said on the radio if Wes shows he wants it, he can have the next one.

So clearly it is you who doesn''t pay enough attention to the club, not me.

Thanks for your time.

[quote user="the1englishman"][quote user="I.S."][quote user="the1englishman"]There are people on this board that plain REFUSE to level any kind of critisism at this team no matter what they do, even when it is clearly deserved.

What the hell he was thinking only he knows.[/quote]Stupid mistake without question, and I''m sure he regrets it massively, but I think people must be idiots if they think that our entire season will boil down to two dropped points at home to Preston.[/quote]

Oh my go lord !

Have you looked at the table ?

It doesnt get any closer than that, so yes one or two points could make a MASSIVE difference ![/quote]Okay, so what about all the other points we have dropped this season at home? Hull, Portsmouth, Doncaster spring to mind. Do these suddenly not count because Wes made a stupid decision? I don''t think I made my point very well, but I heard people at the ground saying that Wes'' penatly miss could cost us promotion this season.That is clearly a ridiculous statement to make, as IMO our lack of ability to keep a clean sheet and convert our pressure into clear-cut chances are going to be far bigger factors in how the season turns out than a missed penalty in a single match!

[quote user="BigHandsOliverKahn"]Blackpool fan here. I had to smile at what happened today. Wes clearly wanted a repeat of his most pinnacle moment at Blackpoolen he successfully chipped a penalty to beat Preston 1-0 right in front of 5000 delirious Blackpool fans in the derby match at Deepdale. Shame it went wrong today as it would have been a treasured moment for you. I am still amused that Wes chose Preston again for such a thing. He clearly wanted to try and rub their noses in it as a former Blackpool hero.This was Wes''s successful one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Wqk4i1d3g[/quote]

Had it hit it as cleanly today, it would''ve been in the back of the net! Complete scuff, now let''s move on!

I have to admit that I''ve got a little worried about Hoolahan taking spot-kicks now he''s missed a few. Penalty misses can have a big effect on the result of the game. Ok, when he hit the crossbar v Colchester last season we still won 5-0 but why? - We were awarded it midway in the 2nd half, and were already 3-0 up. I do believe that he can still be the penalty taker as Ward is probably the only other player who has any experience and is a central defender, when Hoolahan is more an attacking midfielder.

His miss today was costly, but lets get over it now and put it behind us

[quote user="BigHandsOliverKahn"]Blackpool fan here. I had to smile at what happened today. Wes clearly wanted a repeat of his most pinnacle moment at Blackpool when he successfully chipped a penalty to beat Preston 1-0 right in front of 5000 delirious Blackpool fans in the derby match at Deepdale. Shame it went wrong today as it would have been a treasured moment for you. I am still amused that Wes chose Preston again for such a thing. He clearly wanted to try and rub their noses in it as a former Blackpool hero.This was Wes''s successful one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Wqk4i1d3g[/quote]

He must have had it in mind before the game to try the same if we got a pen.....destined to fail. If he scores one of them against Ipswich I''ll forgive him.

I cant recall every penalty he''s taken but most (if not all) recently have been placed (with little power) into one of the bottom corners, an obvious exception being the missed penatly at Colchester which he smashed against the bar.

Ive thought for a while that if keepers do study his penalties they would give themselves a 50/50 chance of saving as recently low slow stuck penalties have become the norm for Wes. If his thinking was that a chip high over the keeper would give himself a good chance of scoring then i can understand that, just wish he''d have actually got some height and power on it.

On the other hand if he really was trying to be clever then thats is unacceptable - although I doubt it.

Besides, he''s taken probably 10-20 pens, and missed what...three? Technically, he''s our best player by a country mile. You''re a bloody idiot if you don''t think so.

Exactly so missing one penalty and he shouldn''t take them again? He''s an outstanding penalty taker usually

Personally what he done for Blackpool is as they say history. But what he does for NCFC does concern me. How you can say he is a great penalty taker is bizzare, he has missed 2 this season and hardly inspires confidence when he takes a penalty. He showed after the miss how much his game went to pot, so perhaps he isn''t a great taker of penalties.

If we are to have any chance of getting promoted we need Wes to show the sort of form he''s been in for the last dozen or so matches. He was almost unplayable at Barnsley. So my point is he and we need to put this in the past and Lambert needs to build his confidence up straight away for the Leicester match.

It''s done, it''s over and we are only two points from automatic promotion with 11 games to go. I for one am right behind him.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]

If we are to have any chance of getting promoted we need Wes to show the sort of form he''s been in for the last dozen or so matches. He was almost unplayable at Barnsley. So my point is he and we need to put this in the past and Lambert needs to build his confidence up straight away for the Leicester match.

It''s done, it''s over and we are only two points from automatic promotion with 11 games to go. I for one am right behind him.

[/quote]

[Y]

Warnock on Talksport just mentioned Wes''s cockup.  He said that if any of his players tried that he would ''kill'' him, and he had already told Taraabt and other players never to try to chip a penalty as he believes that Taraabbt is the type of player to try it. He would rather they hit it hard and the keeper saves it than suffer this outcome. He also reckons that Lambert would have balled-out Wes in front of his team-mates even though he refused to do it in public.   

... and some people on here still say this was NOT unprofessional..... LOL

With all due respect Paul I think we''re better off leaving the man management to Lambert. He''ll know whether Wes needs a balling out or an arm round the shoulder better than you or Warnock (who won''t have a clue how to motivate Wes as he''s not his player).

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]With all due respect Paul I think we''re better off leaving the man management to Lambert. He''ll know whether Wes needs a balling out or an arm round the shoulder better than you or Warnock (who won''t have a clue how to motivate Wes as he''s not his player).[/quote]

Of course it is up to Lambert, but I would hardly expect him not to say anything. My worry is what this miss could have on the morale of the squad and any potential future penalty misses on Wes, psychologically. In view of that a change of penalty-taker may be the best option IMO. There is no getting away from the fact that we would probably now sit a point clear in the second automatic spot if Wes had taken the penalty in a responsible manner. That must surely rankle with all of us.

paul moy is actually in charge of the football world. Everything he says is fact, and if anyone disagrees with him he just LOLs his way out of it.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]paul moy is actually in charge of the football world. Everything he says is fact, and if anyone disagrees with him he just LOLs his way out of it.[/quote]

It''s just opinion Gingerpele. It''s your viewpoint that Wes''s attempt to chip was a professional way to take a penalty. It appears that many others on here agree with the opposite viewpoint. Don''t let it get to you.   

Just to put it simply for you AGAIN

Penalty: Everyone expects the player to score.

There are different ways to score the penalty.

Wes did not invent a new way to show off his fancy skills because he thinks he''s the best player ever.

Many (including Wes, and Zidane in a World Cup final) have chipped and scored penalties.

It is not the best option, but it is an option, the same way everything is, do you pass short or long, shoot near or far corner etc etc. Wes made the WRONG choice this time.

If Lambert had not told him to not chip it which he has never said he has, just that he will not be doing it again. (In what way does Wes appear to be so arrogant he ignores the managers instructions?) If Lambert has not told him to not chip it, then it is in no way any more unprofessional than mis placing a pass, diving, blasting a shot wide instead of placing it, all wrong choices.