Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Is Bryan Gunn tainted forever?

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="KCanary"]Bryan Gunn will always be a legend to me. Not just for his keeping skills but also the bravery of the man (ie playing just days after his daughter passed away, not a dry eye in the barclay when he came out) and that he is a genuinely nice chap off the field. To say he is a leech is just laughable, he just wanted to manage the club he loved, who would''nt. Ok it ended sour but there is no question about the man himself. Wiz, i read your comments and respect your views but in this thread i think you have been very narrow minded and a bit of a prick.[/quote]

Thats fine KC, but what else peed me of about Leechy, was how he pi*sed on Lamberts promotion success by claiming on Sky that it would havev happened anyway under his leadership.

How damn arrogant was that?

[/quote]

He did''nt actually say that he waould have got promoted though, did he Wiz? The game in question to which I believe that you are referring was the the Leeds v City game which was in the New Year.

He was indirectly asked whether he felt that he would have turned Norwich around from the position he left us in to which he felt that he could have matched the league position that City were in at the time. Norwich were not even top at that point...

How many of you know of the account of Gunn''s antics on the pre-season tour to Scotland?Can''t repeat it on here as I did not witness it myself,but I was told it by someone who did see it first hand,and is I believe,a reliable source.It did not reflect well on Mr Gunn the manager!

[quote user="A Change is Gonna Come"]How many of you know of the account of Gunn''s antics on the pre-season tour to Scotland?Can''t repeat it on here as I did not witness it myself,but I was told it by someone who did see it first hand,and is I believe,a reliable source.It did not reflect well on Mr Gunn the manager![/quote]Familiarity breeds contempt.... He thought he had his feet under Delia Smith''s dining room table for good... and left to that pair we''d still be playing in Division 3. He had a good run... and for a pretty ordinary goalkeeper.... far too much adulation.

You and Wizard really should just be done with it and move in together. You would have a whale of a time seeing who could be more bitter, unpleasant and judgemental about people who served the club you love with distinction.

I could really see Harry and Paul making characatures of the pair of you grumbling away together!

[quote user="not_the_lowestoft_loon"].[/quote]I agree entirely.Good first post.  [Y]

[quote user="a1canary"]You and Wizard really should just be done with it and move in together. You would have a whale of a time seeing who could be more bitter, unpleasant and judgemental about people who served the club you love with distinction. I could really see Harry and Paul making characatures of the pair of you grumbling away together![/quote]

They did[:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MNZALcCzSg

[quote user="KCanary"]Bryan Gunn will always be a legend to me. Not just for his keeping skills but also the bravery of the man (ie playing just days after his daughter passed away, not a dry eye in the barclay when he came out) and that he is a genuinely nice chap off the field. To say he is a leech is just laughable, he just wanted to manage the club he loved, who would''nt. Ok it ended sour but there is no question about the man himself. Wiz, i read your comments and respect your views but in this thread i think you have been very narrow minded and a bit of a prick.[/quote]The question was what do you think when you see his name. KCanary has it spot on. I can choose to remember the rubbish management bit or I can (like KC and City Angel) choose to remember a man who was a brilliant keeper for Norwich (at a high level), a chap who came out to play just days after the death of his daughter, a man who has raised an enormous amount of money to help others, and someone who smiled and said hello to a young(ish) Chrisr in the city when he saw I recognised him. It''s only a bloody game. Gunny is a Norwich City Legend.

[quote user="A Change is Gonna Come"]How many of you know of the account of Gunn''s antics on the pre-season tour to Scotland?

Can''t repeat it on here as I did not witness it myself,but I was told it by someone who did see it first hand,and is I believe,a reliable source.

It did not reflect well on Mr Gunn the manager!
[/quote]

I was up in Scotland for that tour, what antics are these, dont tease now tell me what you heard.

If not, someone else tell me!!

[quote user="jimmicity"]

[quote user="A Change is Gonna Come"]How many of you know of the account of Gunn''s antics on the pre-season tour to Scotland?Can''t repeat it on here as I did not witness it myself,but I was told it by someone who did see it first hand,and is I believe,a reliable source.It did not reflect well on Mr Gunn the manager![/quote]

I was up in Scotland for that tour, what antics are these, dont tease now tell me what you heard.

If not, someone else tell me!!

[/quote]The "rumour" is that they spent more time in the bar than they did on the training pitch.*allegedly*

Ok thanks Morty, I thought it was going to be some sort of sex scandal involving Gunn and Delia!!

We spent more time in the bar after watching those games so who could blame them[:D]

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]

Jack Charlton enjoying a fag during a break in training - now he was a crap player wasn''t he. 

[/quote]I think the evidence of the team being poorly prepared for the season was all too evident on the opening day.[:)]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="not_the_lowestoft_loon"].[/quote]

I agree entirely.

Good first post.  [Y]
[/quote]

Like you, I thought it was a good point........

[quote user="a1canary"]You and Wizard really should just be done with it and move in together. You would have a whale of a time seeing who could be more bitter, unpleasant and judgemental about people who served the club you love with distinction.

I could really see Harry and Paul making characatures of the pair of you grumbling away together![/quote][img]http://www.michael-thoennessen.de/media/Waldorf$20$26$20Stadler$203.jpg[/img]

Tainted as a poor football manager......That''s why he isn''t one now.....

Apart from that?....He seems a decent bloke, oh, and he has been in the Directors Box for the last couple of home games.....

A welcome back into the fold, it seems....maybe....probably....to be expected. 

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]Gunn the leech.[/quote]

Says the man who lives on benefits.

[/quote]

One big difference pal, mine''s not by choice.................his is!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]Gunn the leech.[/quote]Says the man who lives on benefits.[/quote]

[/quote]Two big differences - you weren''t a quality goalkeeper who served our club with distinction for many years, and who was part of our greatest ever set of achievements as a football club.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="a1canary"]You and Wizard really should just be done with it and move in together. You would have a whale of a time seeing who could be more bitter, unpleasant and judgemental about people who served the club you love with distinction. I could really see Harry and Paul making characatures of the pair of you grumbling away together![/quote]

[img]http://www.michael-thoennessen.de/media/Waldorf$20$26$20Stadler$203.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Daddy!

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Two big differences - you weren''t a quality goalkeeper who served our club with distinction for many years, and who was part of our greatest ever set of achievements as a football club.

[/quote]

Exactly, which makes it even worse.

But for the strong Robert Chase defence in front of him.... he would have been exposed as very ordinary......If you want to worship a goalkeeper.... try Sandy Kennon, Kevin Keelan and Chris Woods. Better by miles and dignified in retirement.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]Gunn the leech.[/quote]Says the man who lives on benefits.[/quote]

[/quote]Two big differences - you weren''t a quality goalkeeper who served our club with distinction for many years, and who was part of our greatest ever set of achievements as a football club.[/quote]

[/quote]

You''ll have to explain that to me, I''m afraid.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Two big differences - you weren''t a quality goalkeeper who served our club with distinction for many years, and who was part of our greatest ever set of achievements as a football club.

[/quote]

[/quote]

You''ll have to explain that to me, I''m afraid.

[/quote]

Nah, you always want the last word, so be my quest, its been refreshing though and I have missed this.

Unfortunately in life people only remember their last memories of someone!

Gunn was a legend as a player but his last employment with the club was as a person who was took advantage of by a failing, ran out of ideas board who took the easy cheap option, one which Gunny with his love of the club was not going to turn down.

At least we won his last game as a manager 4-0!  

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I totally accept the tributes to him for his playing days but i can never forgive him for taking the job, even in the first place. To my mind this was a bit of ignorance and a lot of arrogance all mixed with the chance to make more money than he otherwise would have done. If he thought he was so good, why did he not go off and learn the trade with a lower league or non league club after being McNastied. As my little chum Bury Green says, others within the club were more culpable in making yet another stupid decision. I have great memories of him as a ''keeper and a brave father and husband.[/quote]

And forgive the people who gave him the job?  They were equally to blame IMHO.

I have fantastic memories of Gunny as a player, and Gunny the man who did and still does so much for charity.  I shaved my head to raise money for his leukemia appeal, and that was not easy for me to do as I had lovely long curly hair, but I raised almost £200, my hair grew back.

Also when our little grandson was in the special care baby unit he gave some bits for us to auction off to raise money for the SCBU.  Going back to when he was playing, he also donated to us a set of his gloves and shirt to raise money for the local childrens hospice.

Yes he was a poor manager, but it was also a poor poor choice by the board for even allowing him to apply.

Gunn was never going to turn down the offer to become manager at a club he loves, where he made his name, has many of his best memories, in an environment he was comfortable in and earn more money to boot!

Anyone that says otherwise is deluded!

Gunn should of never been put in that position by a board that had run out of ideas and where just going for damage limitation!

I saw most of Gunns games for us from his debut against Coventry in the full members cup at home in 1986 to his last game for us against Sunderland at home in 1998, so I know whats hes all about and he''ll always be a legend in my eyes!

I accept that its very likely that Gunn would not of cut it as a manager had he of been given longer but when he took over we were in hell of a mess with a board that only wanted loan players coming in which was a disasterous costly policy. I think many experienced managers would of also failed to have kept us up in 2009 under the same circumstances! 

If there was one game which summed up the abilities of Gunn as a player it was the live ITV game against Millwall away back in the days before Sky and the money men had their noses in the trough.Millwall threw the kitchen sink at our defence and Gunn made about 4 brilliant saves before Flecky scored with a superb half volley at the death.Everyone in the land who watched the game knew that Gunn was the man of the match but Ian St John gave it to Terry Hurlock to appease the Millwall fans and avoid any abuse leaving the ground.He is not tainted in my book.

[quote user="Bury Green"] I do think that as the clubs ascent continues the memories of this will fade and we’ll focus more on the good times.

BG the keeper at the Olympic Stadium, the San Siro, Highbury (2-4) and all the other great days we enjoyed with him as our keeper, you can easily argue that had he not have broken his leg we would not have been relegated in 1995.

The trouble is I saw each and every game of his tenure and Glen Rodent aside my views on this period have me banned for life from this message board, Swansea away, the Scum and culminating in the mother of all surrenders at The Valley.

It’s still too early I’m afraid[/quote]I suppose I see things slightly differently. Gunn the goalkeeper was a legend.Gunn the manager just highlights how badly the club was run. It wasn''t just Gunn''s appointment, it was all the debacle since Worthington left. Whilst Deila Smith is a very nice woman, who has ploughed vast amounts of her own money that she will never see again into the club, she has absolutely no bloody idea how to run the club. Since Bowkett and McNally have been in control things have gone from strength to strength. Gunn should never has been re-appointed (maybe not even appointed in the first place), but then Doncaster and Munby should have been given their notice with 3-5 games to go, in order that a new executive team would be firmly in place to appoint the new manager. But no, we appointed Gunn and let him bring in 12 new players. In was a miracle that Lambert had a decent squad to work with after all that.