Sign in to follow this  
Morisons Prozac

Team for first game?

I still can''t believe the unexpected signing of Surman. That throws a spanner in the works with the selection of the team, so I am asking you what do you think the team should be angainst Watford on the opening day (assuming Russell leaves)?

For me it''s:

Rudd

R Martin   Ward   Whitbread   Drury

Crofts

Hughes         Surman

Hoolahan

Holt            Martin

Subs: Steer, S Smith, Nelson, K Smith, Fox, Macnamee, Johnson

I would play Hughes over Smith because he is more experienced and I he has impressed me so far.

Rudd

Spillane  Ward Whitbread Smith

Crofts

Fox                Surman

Hoolahan

Holt  Martin

Subs: Steer,askou,macnamee,drury, hughes, smith, johnson

I think rusty will leave, we need another GK and striker, Possibly another RB as i dont rate R.Martin at all.

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]

I still can''t believe the unexpected signing of Surman. That throws a spanner in the works with the selection of the team, so I am asking you what do you think the team should be angainst Watford on the opening day (assuming Russell leaves)?

For me it''s:

Rudd

Crofts

Hughes         Surman

Hoolahan

Holt            Martin

I would play Hughes over Smith because he is more experienced and I he has impressed me so far.

[/quote]At the moment i''d put Spillane in ahead of Russell Martin. Other than that, i can''t say i would complain if that side stepped out on the turf at Carrow Road against Watford, though i''d welcome improvements to it.

Looks great going forward and will no doubt score more goals than we did last time we were in the Championship, but will no doubt concede a few too.

The squad is starting to look the part but we still need a right back, a keeper and back up for Holt even if we get Jackson. I''d be delighted to see Danny Green come in too to give us a proper 4-4-2 option if the diamond doesn''t work out.

Rudd

Martin Ward Whitbread Smith

Russell

Smith Surman

Hoolahan

Holt Martin

Steer, Spillane, Drury, Crofts, Fox, Johnson, McDonald

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]

For me it''s:

Rudd

Crofts

Hughes         Surman

Hoolahan

Holt            Martin

[/quote]

This..with the below

GK - Fraser Forster

RB - xxxx (someone in on loan rather than r martin)

ST - Jackson

With this, its a great starting eleven

Just for fun a 3-5-2

New Keeper - Forster or whoever

Three centre backs: Askou, Ward, Whitbread

Left wing back: S. Smith

Right wing back: R. Martin

Three midfielders: Crofts, Surman and Hoolahan just in behind the front two.

Strikers: Martin and Holt.

Forster/Rudd

Spillane Ward Askou Smith

Crofts

Smith Surman

Hoolahan

Martin Holt

Subs - R Martin, Keeper, Whitbread/Nelson, Lappin, Fox, Johnson/Jackson (?), McNamee.

Based on what is at the club now.......

-------------------------Rudd----------------------

Spillane-------Whitbread------Ward---------Drury

-----------------------Crofts-----------------------

-------------K. Smith--------------Surman------------

--------------------Hoolahan-----------------------

---------------Holt-------------C. Martin-------------

The defence looks pretty settled now with competition for every single position. However surely Wiggins will depart soon, probably for Bournemouth as the signing of Steven Smith has made him redundant.

Realistically in the midfield Hughes, Lappin, Fox and Russell (if he stays) would mean there is then competition in every position. It also means that surely Tudur Jones and Gill should be got rid of if possible. I am not too sure where McNamee fits in either because both Surman and Lappin are decent left wingers.

Obviously another goalkeeper is imperative. Fraser Forster would be the ideal choice but I am sure Lambert has other irons in the fire if that is not succesful

Up front another striker is also important because Johnson and McDonald are not strong enough to start games. Johnson in particular could make some significant contributions from the bench this season but is a little way off starting yet.

All in all I would not be pretty happy if that started in August. But I think Lambert will surprise us even further yet!

[quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

The defence looks pretty settled now with competition for every single position. However surely Wiggins will depart soon, probably for Bournemouth as the signing of Steven Smith has made him redundant.

Realistically in the midfield Hughes, Lappin, Fox and Russell (if he stays) would mean there is then competition in every position. It also means that surely Tudur Jones and Gill should be got rid of if possible. I am not too sure where McNamee fits in either because both Surman and Lappin are decent left wingers.

Obviously another goalkeeper is imperative. Fraser Forster would be the ideal choice but I am sure Lambert has other irons in the fire if that is not succesful

Up front another striker is also important because Johnson and McDonald are not strong enough to start games. Johnson in particular could make some significant contributions from the bench this season but is a little way off starting yet.

All in all I would not be pretty happy if that started in August. But I think Lambert will surprise us even further yet!

[/quote]

I wouldn''t class either of them as wingers. Also think McNamee will have a crucial role off the bench like he did last season or even starting like the Southend game where he was outstanding. He can also slot into the Hoolahan role very well but I think we have brought in Foxfor competition and Oli can play there too.

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]

I wouldn''t class either of them as wingers. Also think McNamee will have a crucial role off the bench like he did last season or even starting like the Southend game where he was outstanding. He can also slot into the Hoolahan role very well but I think we have brought in Foxfor competition and Oli can play there too.

[/quote]

The most frequent and effective replacement for Hoolahan was actually Chris Martin which menans we need another good striker to give us that option

[quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"][quote user="Good Touch For A Big Man"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The most frequent and effective replacement for Hoolahan was actually Chris Martin which menans we need another good striker to give us that option

I''ll put a ? in the positions i hope we''ll sign someone                    ??       Ward   Whitbread   Smith                 Crofts     ?                         Surman               Hoolahan         Martin/?       HoltAre those two strikers good enough for the championship? only time will tell

Without wishing to open up a whole can of worms, has Nelson left the club, or have people simply forgotten his form in the second half of the season?  Will Lambert allow sentimentality to determine his selections?  Many of us seemed to think Nelson should at least be allowed a shot, and yet here we are a month or so later and he''s the forgotten man?

buffonJohnsonAshley coleCannavaroPiqueMessiPark Ji SungHiguainRiberySneijderPodolskiTevezthey are all signing next week.. FACT

[quote user="The Lord"][quote user="Docs Big Nose that was at the Heart of the Defence"]

For me it''s:

Rudd

Crofts

Hughes         Surman

Hoolahan

Holt            Martin

[/quote]

This..with the below

GK - Fraser Forster

RB - xxxx (someone in on loan rather than r martin)

ST - Jackson

With this, its a great starting eleven[/quote]Jackson in for who?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]buffonJohnsonAshley coleCannavaroPiqueMessiPark Ji SungHiguainRiberySneijderPodolskiTevezthey are all signing next week.. FACT[/quote]LOL - err why?

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

Why is everyone picking Whitbread?

He''s been injured since he arrived and when he has played he''s looked average at best, in my opinion he''s 4th choice as it goes

[/quote]Until I see more from him I share your opinion.[Y]

Can''t believe how many people wouldn''t play Korey Smith.

Last season he gave us energy, determination, 100% every single game.  He also was very good in the tackle and kept niggling at every single players heels until they lost possesion.  He also had some skill to acompany the hard working tough tackling side.  Him and R.Martin worked well down the right.  He could play good short balls and long balls and he also put in a few decent balls for Holt.  Also his football brain looks second to none and he reads the game well and looks half a step ahead of everyone (the other half will come as he learns).

Definate Championship quality and one who has a real bright future.  He would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Taking into consideration fitness and earning the right to give this division a go, as it stands...

Rudd

Spillane Ward Nelson Smith

Crofts

Smith Surman

Hoolahan

Holt Martin

Spillane is a much better right back than Russell Martin at championship level. If Whitbread had played regularly last season and wasn''t injury prone I would have him in the starting line-up, unless he proves himself to be 100% fit and ready then Nelson has to keep his place.

Drury was great last season but will surely face faster and more technically gifted wingers and a more able player in Smith is essential.

Fox is certainly a capable passer of the ball but doesn''t make up for that with strength, similar to Surman, so I think Korey Smith for his tackling, tenacity and presence is important. If we play against a similar passing team, a Swansea perhaps, then Fox could well be brought in.

Lappin was great last season but we''ve seen him plenty of times at Championship level fail to impress, and with a ready made replacement in Surman surely he''ll get the nod.

The front 2 select themselves :)

Lincs CR, I completely disagree with what you said about Drury.

Drury has shown us plenty of times that he is a more than capable left in the Championship, and he certainly cut it when we were in the Premiership.  I know he has had his injuries but last season he got a good run and looked back to his best all be it League 1 level, and I am sure he will be back to his best next season as well.  When Drury has had a run of games there is not many better than him in the Championship in his position if at all.  It would be very harsh on Drury to be dropped straight away and I would not be happy with it one bit.

After some of his injuries he has looked a bit jaded at times but that old saying is true, form is temporary, class is permanent.