Sign in to follow this  
batesout MOT

Russel to Leeds?

This rumour has been around a while. My opinion is, based on performances last season, is I''d rather keep him than lose him. Played at the base of our diamond in front of the defence screening the back four and played the role well. Played as a normal defensive midfielder in a 4-4-2 he doesn''t do as well for me. The trick seems to be playing him in the right role. He''s a strong tackler but can be prone to the odd daft red card type of moment.Not entirely sure he''s still up to Championship standard.

Leeds have offered him a deal & he also has an offer from us to stay (He is out of contract this month). You''ve offered more money so we will soon learn what his priorities are... As for abilities as a player, well, he''s a no nonsence 100% effort, holding midfielder who loves a tackle. He also, in my opinion, was too good for league 1 & regularly ran the show by breaking up play & & distributing well. I personally would love him to stay although I don''t think he''ll be quite as effective in the Championship as in league 1.I think you''ll get a mixture of opinions here as he isn''t everyone''s cup of tea!

I am probably in the minority but I for one wouldn''t mind at all if he left.  He did ok last year but didn''t pull up any trees.  In my opinion he is an average to good League 1 player who has shown in the past that he is not a stand-out performer in the Championship.

There has been rumours that you have offered him a better deal, but nothing confirmed, and from what I have heard from Lambo he is wanting to keep hold of him.Russell is an average Championship midielder, he is a real fighter. But coming with that, being a real fighter, he has the tendency to get himself sent off. He is not the greatest passer of the ball, but can normally speed up our attacks with balls out wide, but it can get a bit annoying him playing sideways all the time...He is good in league one, but an average Championship player.

Got to say, I think the comments above are maybe a little sour grapes. Russell has been essential to our League One campaign - he''s the base of the diamond which has worked so well. If he left, it would be a big blow. But, as has been said, his last season at this level was a poor one. Still, would be quite disappointed if he did leave.

For me Russell had his best season for us last year. That is partly due to it being League 1 standard of course but also because he was played in his best position. In the last Championship year he was pretty average to be honest but that was playing in a 4-4-2 where IMO his passing is not good enough. As a holding player he wins the ball well and plays it simple which suits him. I''d like him to stay and play in that position at a higher level.

[quote user="TheGoogler"]Got to say, I think the comments above are maybe a little sour grapes. Russell has been essential to our League One campaign - he''s the base of the diamond which has worked so well. If he left, it would be a big blow. But, as has been said, his last season at this level was a poor one. Still, would be quite disappointed if he did leave.[/quote]

I agree.

I have always held a high opinion of him and would rather he stayed than left although I think he will find the Championship much tougher than League 1. I remember him running the show at Portsmouth many years ago on a muddy pitch when we won 1-0. But therein lies the problem. Russell is now 29 yrs old and as one of his main strengths has been his "engine" I think this coming season will be a big challenge for him which is why I feel that Lambert will not go to extremes to keep him.

[quote user="Alf Tupper"]I have always held a high opinion of him and would rather he stayed than left although I think he will find the Championship much tougher than League 1. I remember him running the show at Portsmouth many years ago on a muddy pitch when we won 1-0. But therein lies the problem. Russell is now 29 yrs old and as one of his main strengths has been his "engine" I think this coming season will be a big challenge for him which is why I feel that Lambert will not go to extremes to keep him.[/quote]

I hope he stays - important part of the team. One downside is his very short fuse which I think he has made big efforts to control, not always successfully

He never seems a happy bunny, too many personal issues regarding his private life, plus he wasn''t at the parade - i know reasons were given but........

I think he''ll go - we have recruited new players and Korey is coming though. I agree with another poster he never seems a very happy bunny does he? Strange really; he got huffy last year about the Burnley thing yet stayed and had a great season - he seems a bit mixed up to me.

Money talks, if a good pay package is offered in Yorkshire I reckon he''ll take it this time. PL won''t be held to ransom - and I think Darel is well aware of that!

Ah well, sounds ok as defensive mids go.

R.e. motivations:

He comes to Leeds for the money or stays with you through loyalty. Nice little niche you''ve got yourselves there :-).

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]I think he''ll go - we have recruited new players and Korey is coming though. I agree with another poster he never seems a very happy bunny does he? Strange really; he got huffy last year about the Burnley thing yet stayed and had a great season - he seems a bit mixed up to me. Money talks, if a good pay package is offered in Yorkshire I reckon he''ll take it this time. PL won''t be held to ransom - and I think Darel is well aware of that![/quote]

I know what I would do if I was Russell, age 29, and Leeds offer me more money than Norwich. I would go to Leeds. His first loyalty must be to himself and his family. Footballers outside the Premiership must rack up as much cash in the bank as they possibly can before they have to retire from the game.

[quote user="batesout MOT"]Ah well, sounds ok as defensive mids go. R.e. motivations: He comes to Leeds for the money or stays with you through loyalty. Nice little niche you''ve got yourselves there :-).[/quote]

Now if that was a spurs fan he would say "He comes to us for ..how great we are and everyone wants to play for spurs or he....comes to us because everyone loves spurs"

Spurs fans are the most arrogant s.o.b people you would ever meet!..Hate em

[quote user="TheGoogler"] his last season at this level was a poor one. [/quote]

Bit harsh isn''t it? he was messed about big time by Roeder.. was played up front and at right back at times!

Think he was brilliant for us last season and took to the holding role like duck to water.

I think the signing of Crofts (who I rate highly) and the up and coming Korey has made me feel less inclined to keep Darel than I perhaps would have been.

That said i''d rather we had him than a divisional rival, he was fantastic for us last season, laid the foundations for Wes, Chrissy and Holt to shine on and was IMO POTS aswell as developing a terrific understanding with Korey.

Personally, I hope he stays, but his going could be a good omen, as I remember he left Stoke to rejoin us just before they got promotion.  [:D]

... and of course he left us the first time just before we got promotion to the Prem !!!

Like the Doc, Russell was one of our best players last season and has done well before that yet still some fans don''t rate him!

Its not fair to judge Russell on our last season in the Championship cause he was messed about by Roedernowhere, playing him out of position in a team that was struggling then he didn''t get on with Gunn and in the end lost heart!

The diamond, set up to accomodate Hoolahan in my opinion, worked because Russell done a fine role in the holding position at the base of the diamond protecting the back 4!

I''m not saying Russel will take the Championship by storm but I don''t think its wise to get rid of your best players particularly one as experienced as Russell!

A stereotypical Leeds player then [:)]Sounds

like another erm sound signing if you will. With the capture of Kasper

and Paynter on frees, another one of what sounds like decent quality

wouldn''t be a bad thing to bolster the midfield. From what I''ve heard he

sounds like the kind of player Leeds fans like. That''s playing wise,

don''t know what he''s like attitude wise,  we''ll see if he comes.

Yes, PL, quite right, he was messed around. But under Gunn when we needed players like him to step up, I felt like he failed to come to the forefront.

Like I said, a good player - and I''d prefer to keep him. But his attitude is questionable at times.

You know what you''re getting with Russell. Good work rate, hard tackling, a lot of running and a bit of strength in the middle. But ultimately, even though he was important in our promotion, I never felt he dominated like he should have, and that''s something he''s been doing most of his career. He''ll be a good player for who ever buys him, but probably nothing more than that, and I certainly feel there are many better players out there in the league. (Plus when he left Norwich and Stoke, the following season they both got promoted....)

Although i''ve not been Russell''s biggest fan over recent years it would be a big blow to lose him, the holding role in the diamond suited him down to the ground and without him our midfield begins to look rather lightweight, he is the 1 player we have in there with a bit of a physical presence.

If Russell or his agent, think that he''ll benefit and have a better future, both financially and football wise at Leeds (or any other club for that matter)....Well? Cheerio and bye then. He''s done well and I''m grateful for his contribution....

But, I certainly won''t be crying buckets if he departs....

Life goes on.

[quote user="Barclaybred"]

[quote user="batesout MOT"]Ah well, sounds ok as defensive mids go. R.e. motivations: He comes to Leeds for the money or stays with you through loyalty. Nice little niche you''ve got yourselves there :-).[/quote]

Now if that was a spurs fan he would say "He comes to us for ..how great we are and everyone wants to play for spurs or he....comes to us because everyone loves spurs"

Spurs fans are the most arrogant s.o.b people you would ever meet!..Hate em

[/quote]Ahem...... I resent that comment young man :PYou cannot tarnish all spurs supporters with the same brush, thats just ridiculous