Sign in to follow this  
dpit

When was the last time we had a really really rubbish keeper ?

(apart from the obvious exception)

Reading the article about Marshall and Gill in the Champ play off final, it made me think that (apart form Theo) we have had more than our fair share of really rather decent keepers over the years....and I''m going back as far as Keelan

Woods, Gunn, Marshall (x2), Greeno, Lewis, Gill

Roger Hansbury was pretty dodgy but I can''t think of many others.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]David Marshall was one of the reasons we got relegated! he was shocking!
[/quote]

Could argue it when Cardiff could be going up, however i agree. He is/was overrated big time!! Shotstopping good but the key elements of keeping such as commanding his box, arranging hsi defence and positioning weren''t up to scratch.

Green, Forster, D.Marshall, L.Camp, these are all good gks.

We haven''t had a bad set of strikers either,

Ashton, Earnshaw, Crouch, Holt, Bellamy...(maybe hux more of a left winger though)

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Ashton, Earnshaw, Crouch, Holt, Bellamy...(maybe hux more of a left winger though)

[/quote]

what abou that polish bloke? What was it Strihavka?

[/quote]

[quote user="freddyf105"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dave Strihavka, I don''t think we ever got to see the best of him purely because of a clause in his contract and if he played anymore we would have had to pay his former club something like 1 million euros. (read it on internet.)

[quote user="dejanstenfanovic"]He looked rubbish anyway ! Czech not pole[/quote]

well, he looked better than any other option we had that year *cureton*cough!!

Peter Vasper...the City version of Gary Sprake.

Didn''t think Roger Hansbury was that bad but there were better more established keepers around at the time.

On loan what about the night game against Coventry at Carrow Rd some years ago???

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Paul Gallacher[/quote]

how many games did he play about 5?

[/quote]

rather more than that if memory serves. I''m sure he played a good half a season after Green joined West Ham ??

[quote user="Canary Ascent"]Simon Tracey[/quote]

I don''t think he enjoyed playing at Carrow Road!

From Wiki:

The loan spell that he spent at Norwich City during the 1994-95 season was a nightmare for Tracey. He made three appearances - in the first he ran mindlessly out of his area allowing Coventry to score an easy goal, in the second he was stretchered off with an injury and in the third he let in five goals in an FA Cup tie at Everton. In 2000 when he played at Norwich for Sheffield United he made a similar charge from his area that allowed Norwich striker Craig Bellamy to score.

Whoever it was in goal when we last 5-0 at Everton in the FA Cup round 3 - 1995 I think.  He was awful.  He hid in the crowd every time Duncan Ferguson went in the penalty area.

Other than him, David Marshall was poor and Vasper, Hansbury and Baker were average.

We have been truly blessed with great keepers though.  Keelan and Woods are the best I have seen but Forster is probably capable of being as good, if not better.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

rather more than that if memory serves. I''m sure he played a good half a season after Green joined West Ham ??

[/quote]Try 31!! [:O]I''m glad you mentioned him GJL! I can only remember bad things from him!

[quote user="Clipped Canary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Try 31!! [:O]

I''m glad you mentioned him GJL! I can only remember bad things from him!
[/quote]

paul gallacher possessed black magical powers  5 times grant tried to replace him and gallacher saw them all off with only tony warner managing to avoid the curse [6]

Theo? surely! plus someone said david marshall was the reason we went down last year, you clearly didnt go to many matches as he was keeping us in matches with numerous world class saves. yes he had 1 or 2 bad moments but all keepers do, he is top class.

Simon Tracey was indeed the culprit in the 5-0 FA Cup defeat at Everton. Jon Newsome was sent off.

What about Graham Benstead, keeper just before Gunny came on board-had his moments!

[quote user="jed exodous"]Jamie Ashdown springs to mind(Grant brough on loan got sent off and we got thrashed 5-0 i belive at Stoke?)[/quote]Yes Ashdown was crap!I dont agree that Marshall was useless but he was a poor bit of business.

[quote user="UEA Canary"]Theo? surely! plus someone said david marshall was the reason we went down last year, you clearly didnt go to many matches as he was keeping us in matches with numerous world class saves. yes he had 1 or 2 bad moments but all keepers do, he is top class.[/quote]He was absolutely dreadful at The Valley -  a game where we needed to win. He had given up even before the whistle was blown to commence play. 90 bad moments there I''d say. He obviously wasn''t the only player at fault but that''s not what this thread is about. Marshall was a disgrace to the shirt on that day.