Sign in to follow this  

Thank you to those supporters...

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

Yet not sick enough to not pay to help them in their bad decisions by buying a season ticket? you love helping Delia and the clan make bad choice after bad choice [;)]

[/quote]Agree totally DDD - did wonder how long it would take the "holier than thou, noble act of claiming my rebate" bunch to arrive on this thread! Funnily enough, I saw very few people verbally protesting outside the ground, and I suspect about the same amount refused to renew their season ticket, which is very odd seeing as how "sick to death" they were of the club and its mismanagement. Odder still that those who didn''t take the rebates are sheep whose attitudes are responsible for us being in League One, yet those who claimed a measly few quid back from each ticket are the noble saviours of our club! At least Smudger actually had the decency to try and organise a protest rather than think that taking their rebate and moaning on the Pink ''Un was protest enough. [:D]I also find it very strange that a fairly innocuous first post giving a bit of support to those who have received so much grief on here from the above-mentioned saints ends up with the usual insults being thrown around. Who on earth could have predicted that, eh?http://www.bamboopet.com/assets/cms_images/thumbs/Catfisher%20red%20Fishing%20rod%20and%20reel.jpg

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]I didn''t need the rebate. I didn''t need a new pair of shoes, money for the gas meter or any of the thousand and one reasons why people did take it. But I took it.I took it because I was fed up to the back teeth with the year after year antics of the clowns who''d been in charge of the club I love. I took it because the clowns that made bad decision after bad decision year after year culminated in the club I love being humiliatingly relegated to the third tier of English football for the first time in 49 years. I took it because I wasn''t prepared to trust the clowns who had the cheek to ask me to bail them out after the complete pig''s ear they''d made of the whole thing.To those saintly people on here who coughed up the readies to buy Grant Holt - allegedly - by all means feel smug if you must but you won''t see me on any guilt trip. Around two thirds of season ticket holders who claimed their cash felt the same at the time and I hope they all feel the same now.At last, probably more by luck than judgement, the owners have ended up with really good people under them, and, not before time I can see some real hope at NCFC.Of course this unspeakable '' crime '' I''ve committed may well come to bite me on the bum at the Day of Reckoning. As I line up to face St Peter at the Pearly Gates he may well decide that as I trousered my wedge I''ll have to go downstairs.I''ll have to take my chances on that one.......

[/quote]

Yet not sick enough to not pay to help them in their bad decisions by buying a season ticket? you love helping Delia and the clan make bad choice after bad choice [;)]

[/quote]To a rational human - who as far as football is concerned they can take it or leave it - you make a fair point DDD. But we''re not rational people are we ? We''re football fans .As far as my wife is concerned I''ve spent 43 years watching blokes kick a bag of air around a square of grass but it doesn''t seem that way to me. I can''t stop, simple as that.Like the two thirds who took the rebate I was sick to death of the shenanigans going on at Carrow Road and this was a practical way to show the Board how I felt without giving up my weekly '' fix ''.It would be interesting to see how many people gave up their season tickets purely in protest. Not many I bet.But then we''re all addicts you see.....

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"]

[/quote]Agree totally DDD - did wonder how long it would take the "holier than thou, noble act of claiming my rebate" bunch to arrive on this thread! Funnily enough, I saw very few people verbally protesting outside the ground, and I suspect about the same amount refused to renew their season ticket, which is very odd seeing as how "sick to death" they were of the club and its mismanagement. Odder still that those who didn''t take the rebates are sheep whose attitudes are responsible for us being in League One, yet those who claimed a measly few quid back from each ticket are the noble saviours of our club! At least Smudger actually had the decency to try and organise a protest rather than think that taking their rebate and moaning on the Pink ''Un was protest enough. [:D]I also find it very strange that a fairly innocuous first post giving a bit of support to those who have received so much grief on here from the above-mentioned saints ends up with the usual insults being thrown around. Who on earth could have predicted that, eh?http://www.bamboopet.com/assets/cms_images/thumbs/Catfisher%20red%20Fishing%20rod%20and%20reel.jpg[/quote]Eh ? I''m lost here.....By your argument surely the '' holier than thou '' supporters are those who performed the '' noble act of NOT claiming their rebate ''Me? I just burn in Hell..........

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I took my rebate too, I wasn''t about to start paying Championship prices for 3rd division football.  [:D][/quote]I agree and did the same. Well actually I met them halfway, I claimed the rebate on my season ticket but gave them the rebates from teh two kids season tickets I buy.[:)]

In my opinion it''s was your own choice- I mean you were paying for the season ticket in the first place why should anyone else get a say in the actions you decide to take and  money you decide to spen/save. I think criticsing fans who took the rebate is ridiculous, in no way are they worst fans and we hardly know each others'' financial positions.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I took my rebate too, I wasn''t about to start paying Championship prices for 3rd division football.  [:D][/quote]

I agree and did the same. Well actually I met them halfway, I claimed the rebate on my season ticket but gave them the rebates from teh two kids season tickets I buy.

[:)]
[/quote]Where do you sit Morty?

I never cashed in a dividend cheque from the club when they were appealing for supporters to do so in order to buy Dean Ashton!

I took  my rebate as a matter of principle cause if the club would of been run better, with better decision making at board level we''d of never been relegated!

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]Eh ? I''m lost here.....By your argument surely the '' holier than thou '' supporters are those who performed the '' noble act of NOT claiming their rebate ''Me? I just burn in Hell..........[/quote]Sorry mate, no offence meant to anybody on this thread - I really started it with the devious notion of playing Devil''s advocate and seeing what responses we got [;)]. My personal view is that those who did claim the rebate - that''s fine, and those that didn''t - that''s also fine. I''m sure we all had our own reasons for taking the rebate (or not).My beef is with those people who seem to think those who didn''t take the rebate are partly responsible for the decline in the last x seasons, and should be strung up - whereas those who did take the rebate have done so for purely unselfish reasons in order to force Delia "Wicked Witch" Smith out.Personally I think it has worked out somewhere in between. Those who didn''t claim the rebate obviously went some way towards financing Holty, and for that I think they should be commended. They are no more/less a passionate supporter than you or I, would you not agree?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I took my rebate too, I wasn''t about to start paying Championship prices for 3rd division football.  [:D][/quote]I agree and did the same. Well actually I met them halfway, I claimed the rebate on my season ticket but gave them the rebates from teh two kids season tickets I buy.[:)][/quote]Where do you sit Morty?[/quote]Upper Barclay block B.

[quote user="Norwich MP"]I completely agree, quite why people think that taking money out of the club in order to remove Delia et al from the board was the best way forward I don''t know. Hopefully those people are feeling a little foolish now...[/quote]I don''t feel foolish at all.  The turnaround in our season was nothing to do with Grant Holt being bought, and everything to do with Paul Lambert being hired as manager.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I took my rebate too, I wasn''t about to start paying Championship prices for 3rd division football.  [:D][/quote]

I agree and did the same. Well actually I met them halfway, I claimed the rebate on my season ticket but gave them the rebates from teh two kids season tickets I buy.

[:)]
[/quote]

I agree with this too. (Except to say that it''s Championship prices for League One football or Division Two prices for Division Three football.) And this is why I disagree with the OP. When the season ticket  renewals came out early in 2009 there were two prices, one for The Championship and one for League One. The club didn''t say in the event of relegation the price will be the same to enable them have a better chance of promotion. That came later. Almost as an after thought in fact. There''s plenty of mileage elsewhere to show up "the glory boys" but I think this ones a nonrunner.

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="......and Smith must score."]Eh ? I''m lost here.....By your argument surely the '' holier than thou '' supporters are those who performed the '' noble act of NOT claiming their rebate ''Me? I just burn in Hell..........[/quote]Sorry mate, no offence meant to anybody on this thread - I really started it with the devious notion of playing Devil''s advocate and seeing what responses we got [;)]. My personal view is that those who did claim the rebate - that''s fine, and those that didn''t - that''s also fine. I''m sure we all had our own reasons for taking the rebate (or not).My beef is with those people who seem to think those who didn''t take the rebate are partly responsible for the decline in the last x seasons, and should be strung up - whereas those who did take the rebate have done so for purely unselfish reasons in order to force Delia "Wicked Witch" Smith out.Personally I think it has worked out somewhere in between. Those who didn''t claim the rebate obviously went some way towards financing Holty, and for that I think they should be commended. They are no more/less a passionate supporter than you or I, would you not agree?[/quote]Yes I.S. We''re all Norwich fans when all said and done.........Let''s just hope the good times are ready to roll again.

I took my rebate and for the same reasons as so well documented on this thread by The Butler, And Smith must Score and Yellow Rider. Yes, I happen to know all of them, and all three, like myself are long term supporters of NCFC. A bit long in the tooth, but not ready to accept mediocrity any longer.

Like many others, we were fed up with the shambolic running of the club by Smith and Jones (through the actions of one Neil Doncaster). It wasn''t only the players who were responsible for us ending up in League One. If relegation wasn''t bad enough we then had to endure another season of Bryan Gunn. Did I have any faith in our chances of promotion with him in charge? None at all. Did I have any faith in the board (at the time consisting of the old crew, before McNally arrived), none. Their recent history had indeed made us history. Relegated to the third tier.

It was nothing to do with wanting new shoes, and not even the correct payment for a lesser level of football, it was about showing the board enough was enough. The rebate, the meeting at St Andrews'' Hall all added up to much unrest.

And that was before the first game of the season.

I am not at all sorry I did it, nor ever will be. Let''s just be thankful the majority shareholders woke up to reality and appointed a credible Chairman and CE finally. Without McNally and Lambert there would have been no promotion.

[quote user="Norwich MP"]Then why renew your season ticket atall? Was it not stated that the extra cash would be spent on players?

There''s really no need for people come on here and start justifying why they took their rebate because who really cares? It just seems a lot of people saw it as an opportunity to take something out of the club when it needed it most, surely a letter to the board is a better way of sending a message?
[/quote]

Because as I said it was my money and I wanted it back, im not going to pay extra to a supermarket just because I enjoy their product if I can get the same product at a cheaper price.

I sent a letter to the board and heard nothing back.

Surely it''s not up to you or anyone else on how my money is spent, if I wanted to give money away id give it to charity, not to a club and board who at the time were wasting money and mismanaging hand over fist.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="I.S."][quote user="Norwich MP"]Then why renew your season ticket atall? Was it not stated that the extra cash would be spent on players?

There''s really no need for people come on here and start justifying why they took their rebate because who really cares? It just seems a lot of people saw it as an opportunity to take something out of the club when it needed it most, surely a letter to the board is a better way of sending a message?
[/quote]

Agree with that - there are various opportunities to get your thoughts across, ranging from letters through to supporters'' forums, through to a verbal protest or even something as radical as not renewing your season ticket if you had that little faith in the board. I fail to see how a rebate that was a small percentage of the cost of the season ticket, achieved anything other than to starve the club of vital income, especially when the money was matched and put directly into the player budget. Needless to say, many people were happy with the signing Gunn had made over the summer, so obviously had faith in the scouting network at this time.

It is a fair point that this may have been the straw that broke the camel''s back in terms of the Smiths getting McNally in, although I doubt we will never know this for sure. People are, of course, free to do what they want with their money, but my point was simply that people who didn''t take their rebate have directly funded our likely Player of the Season. Nobody wants to pay over the odds for third division football (although perhaps this has something to do with why Leeds are still stuck in this division), but thankfully those that have have probably been the difference between playoffs and automatic promotion this season.
[/quote]

What an absolute load of pretentious codswallop!

The paying fans had just watched an inept manager take the club to the lowest point for 50 years . Lead in no little way by a board that had proved over many years a disaster.

Those fans were entitled,by the clubs own statement to get the money they had "over paid" refunded. That point alone and the numbers that did perhaps shook the complacency of those concerned.

To then say those who didn''t funded Holt is also disengenuous as it could have funded Gunns/Doncasters pay off or the funding of the other crap that Gunn brought in.

Stop trying to heap praise on yourself when attitudes like yours lead to the situation we were in.

The true fans stood up for what was right and that stance forced the necessary changes. The majority at St Andrews Hall can''t all have been wrong.

[/quote]

Very well said.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

I did''nt feel foolish then and I most certainly don''t now. Those of us who claimed the refund offer did so for a variety of reasons. Personally, I feel the majority (over 60% from memory) who took the refund sent a very clear message to the Boad that they had no confidence in the bunch of amateurs who had been running the club for several years. I believe the refund issue was one of the factors that finally made The Smiths sit up and small the coffee. Ditto the meeting at St. Andrews Hall. Sure the Board will deny until their last breath that the decisions had anything whatsoever to do with ''the natives''. Events have proved that ''the natives'' have been proved correct I believe.

It''s those people who blindly followed The Smiths in all their decision making who should be feeling ''a little foolish now''. If they had held sway there would have been no McNally, no new manager and (quite possibly) no promotion!!  

[/quote]I''m afraid this argument doesn''t hold water , as Purple Canary pointed out:"Inconveniently for this argument, the boardroom changes were set in

motion by the sacking of Munby and Doncaster - and that happened on May

12th. Foulger didn''t even make his offer on the rebate until late May,

and the deadline for fans to make up their minds was in late June, by

which time McNally had already been chief executive for some weeks and

Smith and Jones were in the process of persuading Bowkett to become

chairman. The announcement that he had agreed came just a few days

later, on July 2.So the decision by many fans to claim the

rebate was not in the slightest way instrumental in prompting the

boardroom changes."

I didn''t take the rebate ... but before I get too sanctimonious, I have to remind myself that I renewed early to get the discount as well!

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

I did''nt feel foolish then and I most certainly don''t now. Those of us who claimed the refund offer did so for a variety of reasons. Personally, I feel the majority (over 60% from memory) who took the refund sent a very clear message to the Boad that they had no confidence in the bunch of amateurs who had been running the club for several years. I believe the refund issue was one of the factors that finally made The Smiths sit up and small the coffee. Ditto the meeting at St. Andrews Hall. Sure the Board will deny until their last breath that the decisions had anything whatsoever to do with ''the natives''. Events have proved that ''the natives'' have been proved correct I believe.

It''s those people who blindly followed The Smiths in all their decision making who should be feeling ''a little foolish now''. If they had held sway there would have been no McNally, no new manager and (quite possibly) no promotion!!  

[/quote]

I''m afraid this argument doesn''t hold water , as Purple Canary pointed out:

"Inconveniently for this argument, the boardroom changes were set in motion by the sacking of Munby and Doncaster - and that happened on May 12th. Foulger didn''t even make his offer on the rebate until late May, and the deadline for fans to make up their minds was in late June, by which time McNally had already been chief executive for some weeks and Smith and Jones were in the process of persuading Bowkett to become chairman. The announcement that he had agreed came just a few days later, on July 2.

So the decision by many fans to claim the rebate was not in the slightest way instrumental in prompting the boardroom changes."

[/quote]

The boy McNally was apointed on 12th June I believe so hardly ''some weeks'' before ''late June'' IMO.

That said, and to avoid splitting hairs on the subject, what I said was the refund issue was ...''one of the factors''. Lets face it the refund saga had been dragging in for ages long before McNally arrived at FCR.  

Until we really saw McNally in action none of us knew how cosy (or not) he would be with The Smiths so could not make a judgement. Oh, and by the way, the ''legend'' was still our manager I believe during the whole late spring saga of the refund. Like it or not,  the fans stood up and made their feelings known (at long last!). For once, The Smiths listened. The rest, Sir, is as they say now ''history''!       

Yep. All what Yellow Rider said!

I took the rebate and have no regrets. I did what i thought was correct. I have shares in the club and have supported it financially in small ways over the years but there was no way I could support the idiotic events during that period.

Perhaps i should go and drive a Toyota Prious and wash my soul.

This is taken from the BBC website and refers to criticism by some of fans staying away from Anfield because of the shambles the club is in. I think it the following quote is a good one and applies to the rebate also:

"No supporter has to blindly follow their club regardless of what a mess they are in. If a supporter chooses to not go to a match in order to make some sort of a statement, they are perfectly within their right to do so."

While I disagree with the OP for the reasons I gave earlier I can''t agree that "the true fans" took the rebate either. I would love to know the definition of true fans. I just looked it up and found this definition by an American talking about NFL fans : -

What makes someone a true fan? This is a question that has been asked for years. Is it someone who can buy everything the team sells or is it someone who goes to every game? 

I will try to shed some light on this argument. 

Fans come in many shapes and sizes.  Some will go with the team across the country while others only go to home games. Some have the best seat in the house every time while others are lucky to afford a ticket at all. Does any of that make a person a true fan?

No. The fact that you try and get out to the games and paint yourself does not make you a true fan. But what about the people who spend money that they don''t have because they love their team so much? Well to those people I say get your priorities straight. 

A true fan does not need to even own one piece of merchandise from their team for all I care. They just need to feel what the team feels and believe with all their heart that their team will win.

That''ll do for me[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

While I disagree with the OP for the reasons I gave earlier I can''t agree that "the true fans" took the rebate either. I would love to know the definition of true fans. I just looked it up and found this definition by an American talking about NFL fans : -

What makes someone a true fan? This is a question that has been asked for years. Is it someone who can buy everything the team sells or is it someone who goes to every game? 

Fans come in many shapes and sizes.  Some will go with the team across the country while others only go to home games. Some have the best seat in the house every time while others are lucky to afford a ticket at all. Does any of that make a person a true fan?

No. The fact that you try and get out to the games and paint yourself does not make you a true fan. But what about the people who spend money that they don''t have because they love their team so much? Well to those people I say get your priorities straight. 

A true fan does not need to even own one piece of merchandise from their team for all I care. They just need to feel what the team feels and believe with all their heart that their team will win.

That''ll do for me[Y]

[/quote]

I will go with that Nutty.

It was the inference that those "Not having THEIR money back" were better supporters and got the team promoted that got my over size goat.

Lets stop for a week or three and enjoy what we have got NOW and hope that the future is indeed yellow and green.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]I''m afraid this argument doesn''t hold water , as Purple Canary pointed out:"Inconveniently for this argument, the boardroom changes were set in motion by the sacking of Munby and Doncaster - and that happened on May 12th. Foulger didn''t even make his offer on the rebate until late May, and the deadline for fans to make up their minds was in late June, by which time McNally had already been chief executive for some weeks and Smith and Jones were in the process of persuading Bowkett to become chairman. The announcement that he had agreed came just a few days later, on July 2.So the decision by many fans to claim the rebate was not in the slightest way instrumental in prompting the boardroom changes."

[/quote]

The boy McNally was apointed on 12th June I believe so hardly ''some weeks'' before ''late June'' IMO.

That said, and to avoid splitting hairs on the subject, what I said was the refund issue was ...''one of the factors''. Lets face it the refund saga had been dragging in for ages long before McNally arrived at FCR.  

Until we really saw McNally in action none of us knew how cosy (or not) he would be with The Smiths so could not make a judgement. Oh, and by the way, the ''legend'' was still our manager I believe during the whole late spring saga of the refund. Like it or not,  the fans stood up and made their feelings known (at long last!). For once, The Smiths listened. The rest, Sir, is as they say now ''history''!       

[/quote]It is one thing to split hairs, another to rewrite history.  Doncaster& Munby had gone before there was anything decisive about the rebate, that''s the point. Nobody''s saying (least of all me) that change wasn''t desperately needed, & I am sure the Board knew the fans had had enough. I suspect they felt the same. But the rebate situation was after the event.Not related to Mr. A. Campbell by any chance??

I took mine and then spent it in the Club shop so it was a win win situation! Ive stood by them though, never left before final whistle and never boo''d, just kept cheering them on. I am a ''Supporter'' and I always support them who ever is manager, even Glenn Roeder!

It''s a bit odd (but perhaps inevitable) that we are raking over this one again.

I was in 2 minds but ended up not taking the cash - partly through being a twonk and forgetting the deadline. But was relatively happy to do so as it seemed to me it gave us the best chance of going back up.

I certainly don''t think any more or less of anyone for taking the cash - it was their''s to take or to leave. But to say the group who did take it were ''true'' supporters is totally daft.

It is certainly the case, however, that the cash left in must have helped the transfer pot - who knows it may have been the difference between signing Grant Holt or Liam Dickinson (remember him?)......

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

That''ll do for me[Y]

[/quote]

I will go with that Nutty.

It was the inference that those "Not having THEIR money back" were better supporters and got the team promoted that got my over size goat.

Lets stop for a week or three and enjoy what we have got NOW and hope that the future is indeed yellow and green.

[/quote]

The future will be yellow & green, I know that because I''m going to spend the rest of my life there [;)]

A big thank you to everybody who did not claim their rebates at the start of the season, you guys (and Foulger) are solely responsible for us being able to afford Grant Holt, who in turn has had a major part in firing us straight back to the Championship. Many people who decided not to claim their rebates were called happy clappers and sheep and Delia lovers etc, hope the abusers feel stupid now! OTBC