Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

18 points to guarantee promotion!!!

Looking at the current League One table I think the points required for a playoff place and automatic place will be as follows -

I think for a playoff spot this season you will need 78/79 points and for automatic promotion 89/90 points - that is allowing for Swindon to average 2 points a game for their remaining 14 games.

To get those 18 points we only need to average 1.5 points a game, across the season so far we have been averaging 2.1 points per game.

TeamPGDPTS
Full League One table
1Norwich343472
2Leeds United333067
3Charlton342163
4Colchester331762
5Swindon321560
6Huddersfield332558
7Millwall331558

I think anything over 85 points should be eough to go up this season, the top 4 sides will probably slip up more now were heading towards the end of the season.

Norwich and Col Who will take the top 2 spots, Leeds will choke once again.

Some of this depends on who our victories are against as to how few /many. Should we win all our games in March and beat Charlton that would be it 5 wins would do. Lose some of these top games however and it will probably mean 7 / 8 wins.

I think it will be a higher than normal total needed  -but 90 should be enough.

As they pointed out in the FL show sat night the top seven are pulling away;  and those 7 will mainly drop points against each other and prob Soton they will pick up strong points from the rest of a league that is not in the same class.

There will be ups and downs before the season end but a win on sat will set us on the way and its fantastic that our destiny is in our own hands.

90 points should be more than enough. 5/6 home wins to get us up plus some away points to get us the title...hopefully. [:P]

The fact that there are so many games between the top seven will favour us with our points on the board. For example, Leeds have to play Swindon, Millwall, Charlton, us and Southampton and Col Who play MiIlwall, Swindon Charlton and Huddersfield.

90 points plus has been needed to win it for most seasons in league one.[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

I think it will be a higher than normal total needed  -but 90 should be enough.

As they pointed out in the FL show sat night the top seven are pulling away;  and those 7 will mainly drop points against each other and prob Soton they will pick up strong points from the rest of a league that is not in the same class.

There will be ups and downs before the season end but a win on sat will set us on the way and its fantastic that our destiny is in our own hands.

[/quote]

[quote user="Beauseant"]

The fact that there are so many games between the top seven will favour us with our points on the board. For example, Leeds have to play Swindon, Millwall, Charlton, us and Southampton and Col Who play MiIlwall, Swindon Charlton and Huddersfield.

[/quote]

Southampton are not top 7.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]Very good point Beausant, it''s certainly looking like the points total required will be lower than many, myself included, thought it might be at one stage of the season.

Yeovil at home is such an important game. If we win that we will have a nice little buffer to see us through the 3 very difficult fixtures ahead. However I am confident we''ll be alright our record against the other members of the top 6 since Lambert took over is reasonable

Leeds: Lost 2-1 but I thought it was a travesty we got nothing from that game. One of our best performances this season

Charlton: 2-2 draw when we were stil finding our way under Lambert and they were on a roll. I fancy us at the Valley.

Colchester: 5-0 win. Enough said

Swindon: Gritty 1-0 win. However they will be a different proposition altogether with Paynter and Austin firing so I would take a draw here.

Huddersfield.: 2-0 win. Haven''t lost at home but thats a bit of red herring for me. They have drawn 7 games at home this season. Result is possible.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

That only fuels my belief that Leeds will miss out on an automatic spot.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And another useful interjection from the forum''s resident smartarse.

Southampton will be a tough game for Leeds regardless of their position. Would you like to argue that point or simply continue to deal in pedantry?

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Southampton will be a tough game for Leeds regardless of their position. Would you like to argue that point or simply continue to deal in pedantry?

[/quote]

Agreed. Southampton will need to take three points to stand any chance of getting into the play-offs, and I think they will beat Leeds, but Otsy will need to concentrate.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim at the top of league 1"]I''m not too sure about 18 points. I''m going for 21 points to take us to 93. Promotion gained at home to Gillingham!!!![/quote]Up yours... promotion gained away at Charlton (as long as they make sure that I can have a ticket)... [:P]

[quote user="Smudger"]Up yours... promotion gained away at Charlton (as long as they make sure that I can have a ticket)... [:P]
[/quote]I''m loving this new happy clappy smudger........

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:D]

It has to be promotion at Orient........ repeat of 1972. And yes I was there.

Then the title secured at Charlton. Putting to right last years humiliation.

Back for the celebrations at home the following week.

Then lets kick on for the 100 points and the 100 goals.

Seven games until Orient. Even allowing for TWO defeats and a draw that would still have us on 86 points.

So lets, start dreaming. start believing and enjoying. Because we aren''t ever going to have a season like this again. In that I include where we started from.

If Leeds and Swindon win all of their games (and Swindon beat Leeds) then we would need 103 points for 2nd spot if they both surpassed our goal differenece. This would involve us losing to both of them and would only allow us to drop points in one other game which we must draw. In this unlikely scenario it''s 31 points to guarantee promotion. This is worst possible case...

Sorry, I can''t add up. If we lost to both Leeds and Swindon then the remaining 30 points available would not be enough. We need to at least draw one of those games to guaruntee promotion.

[quote user="City1st"]It has to be promotion at Orient........ repeat of 1972. And yes I was there.

Then the title secured at Charlton. Putting to right last years humiliation.

Back for the celebrations at home the following week.

Then lets kick on for the 100 points and the 100 goals.

Seven games until Orient. Even allowing for TWO defeats and a draw that would still have us on 86 points.

So lets, start dreaming. start believing and enjoying. Because we aren''t ever going to have a season like this again. In that I include where we started from.[/quote]I like the sounds of that... [Y]As long as they ensure they save a ticket for me at Leyton Orient, Charlton and the Gills @ home that is!

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Up yours... promotion gained away at Charlton (as long as they make sure that I can have a ticket)... [:P][/quote]I''m loving this new happy clappy smudger........

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:D]

[/quote]Ahh the new happy clappy Smudger loves you too Lapp... but do not fear, if we don''t perform in the Championship next season than normal service will be resumed! [:P] [U]

[quote user="Smudger"]if we don''t perform in the Championship next season than normal service will be resumed![/quote]Oh right, you mean if we start losing again you''ll stop going to matches? [^o)] 

It''s good to see that you''ve not deserted your principles but simply set them aside for this season! [Y]

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Smudger"]if we don''t perform in the Championship next season than normal service will be resumed![/quote]Oh right, you mean if we start losing again you''ll stop going to matches? [^o)] 

It''s good to see that you''ve not deserted your principles but simply set them aside for this season! [Y]

[/quote]Oh you do like to put words in my mouth don''t you Lapp?As long as that and the odd [B] or two is all that you are putting in there?I dropped you enough hints last time I saw you, have you forgotten already???

[quote user="Sideshow Bob"]If Leeds and Swindon win all of their games (and Swindon beat Leeds) then we would need 103 points for 2nd spot if they both surpassed our goal differenece. This would involve us losing to both of them and would only allow us to drop points in one other game which we must draw. In this unlikely scenario it''s 31 points to guarantee promotion. This is worst possible case...[/quote]I cannot really see that being a likely scenario to be fair!I agree that it would be great to seal promotion or the title at Charlton to banish last season''s ghosts, and would love it, just love it if Leeds continued their choke enough for either Colchester or Swindon to go past them.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Resident Smartarse? I like that...

...maybe one day I''ll steal that Resident Bore title from you as well.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Resident Smartarse? I like that...

...maybe one day I''ll steal that Resident Bore title from you as well.

[/quote]You might be top of the Pink Un Resident Smartarse table right now but there are many other strong contenders out there! [:)]

The Statto site suggest 85 points for promotion and 89 for the title.

If we beat Yeovil and go to 75 points the team can go out every game from thereon and really go for it.

The players confidence will be sky high and they can play with freedom - Huddersfield and Co might just come in for a bit more than they bargained for.

We should fear no one but must have patience and respect for our players.