Sign in to follow this  
Henry

Russell Appeal Dismissed

I hope Stephen Hughes will play tonight. My personal view is that he is better than Russell.Russell and Smith together is not the ideal combination, and remember we got relegated with Russell in midfield last season. May be Russell will come back as a better player after a 3 games break?

[quote user="National express super guard "]even my old man, staunch ex ref, said it weren''t a red,possibly a yellow though.[/quote]That''s the thing - these "it could be a yellow" cases where there''s an interpretation of the rules involved very rarely get overturned because they''d rather stick with the referee''s interpretation (unless you''re called John Terry). The only types that usually get rescinded are like Doherty''s against Bristol City last season. There he clearly got a foot on the ball, so it was no foul, no card and no interpretation required, therefore an easy decision for them to make.

Leaving aside the fact that we are all agreed the red card was a ridiculous decision, it might be a good thing for Rusty to have a break and give Hughes a chance. The team hasn''t changed much in the last few months and maybe a few players are getting tired. Hopefully Rusty will return refreshed and raring to go.

[quote user="Lambert is King"][quote user="UEAstudent"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]Even Alan Pardew said it was a harsh sending off. I know he was on the winning side but surely if an opposing manager disagrees with that sort of decision they must have a good idea that it was the wrong one.[/quote] The trouble is that a harsh sending off is still a sending off and you cannot appeal on the basis that it is harsh.[/quote] We werent as I understand it we were argueing the red card should not be given as for violent conduct there has to be intent. Will there be a rule as from today that a high foot is now a red card. I was not convinced about the camera angle not doing us any favours, however on last nights programme they zoomed in and based on this alone the red card should have been dismissed[/quote]

Just to clarify something, he wasn''t sent off for violent conduct, he was sent off for serious foul play.

[quote user="Wes Hoolahanraha-hanrahan"]

[quote user="jim blair"]Absoulutely shocking decision by the FA..who the hell sits on these panels,, time we got people on them that have played the game and understand it.[/quote]

The disciplinary committee is made up of Andy D''Urso, Alan Brazil, George Burley, Kevin Muscatt and Andy Marshall

[/quote]I heard Kevin Lisbie and Matt Holland were in it too.

[quote user="Georgie Bless"]Completely inevitable. That bunch of jokers hate to admit when a mistake was made. I think if you asked 100 people if that was a sending off at least 99 would say its not.[/quote]Looks like the FA are filled with those wa.n.kers who are in the 1%

As Radiohead once sang... "No Surprises!" [8][8]The FA, like most organisations don''t like admitting when one of their representatives has got something wrong.  Never expected the outcome to be any different.At least it gives Lambert the chance to hopefully have a look at Hughes in that role and "MAYBE" make another change or two?Go on Mr Lambert Sir, you know that you want to!

While it obviously shouldn''t have stood, does anyone else think the reason it did was more because of Lamberts comments about the ref after the game?

I''m only speculating but maybe the appeal would have gone better had he not claimed he didnt even know who the ref was?

Not that I blame him, but the FA might!

[quote user="National express super guard "]maybe mr hughes will get a game now if he''s fit long enough, but never ever a red card. even my old man, staunch ex ref, said it weren''t a red,possibly a yellow though. Makes you wonder about the conspiracy about leeds et al getting up
[/quote]

I spoke to an ex-ref this morning, he said that it wasn''t a red, not even a yellow.  But he also says that the very rarely overturn red cards and appeals are a waste of time.

The only saving grace is that he''ll miss three games against pretty poor teams - Southend, Oldham and Yeovil.
(I hope I don''t live to regret saying that!)

Right, now Lambert can use it as a stirring call - "it''s us against the lot of them - let''s show ''em what we can do and stuff it in their faces" kind of thing.  Let''s hope for a really big reaction tonight!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="National express super guard "]maybe mr hughes will get a game now if he''s fit long enough, but never ever a red card. even my old man, staunch ex ref, said it weren''t a red,possibly a yellow though. Makes you wonder about the conspiracy about leeds et al getting up
[/quote]

I spoke to an ex-ref this morning, he said that it wasn''t a red, not even a yellow.  But he also says that the very rarely overturn red cards and appeals are a waste of time.

[/quote]

Unless you are Chelsky Arsnul or Manure, I think we are going to get a lot of rough rides from now on in the run up, these teams era going to try and knock us off the rails by what ever method, I think it was the amount of rolling over times in pretend oscar winning pain award by Pardew''s cheats and for that reason I hope Pardew players suffers many injuries    

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Unless you are Chelsky Arsnul or Manure, I think we are going to get a lot of rough rides from now on in the run up, these teams era going to try and knock us off the rails by what ever method, I think it was the amount of rolling over times in pretend oscar winning pain award by Pardew''s cheats and for that reason I hope Pardew players suffers many injuries    

[/quote]

You are right, they sure seem to favour the bigger teams, it''s a shame.

At the end of the day all we fans ask is consistency, and with the refs we don''t get that.

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I just looked at FA website and you have to register to get a fan number in order to contact them. Don''t think it will do much good though.[/quote]

I think I already have a fan number so, hopefully, I can use that!

[quote user="canarytom"]

[quote user="norfolkchance1"]I just looked at FA website and you have to register to get a fan number in order to contact them. Don''t think it will do much good though.[/quote]

I think I already have a fan number so, hopefully, I can use that!

[/quote]

No you don''t.

As an active referee I am shocked. I know I am a City fan but when I looked at Holts sending off he deserved it and even Lambert kept quiet.The Russell rejected appeal is terrible and I am shocked that the FA can find any justification in video incident that there was any intent, certainly I could see it being a foul and at worst yellow but red beggars belief. I long for the day when the FA can be fair and not always back the officials.Unfortunately I know what will have tipped the balance here because I know the FA so well, it will be Lambert in the press effectively criticising the ref and the FA for the handling of the review. They will react against that. The only manager who seems to get away with it is Ferguson who seems to be bigger than even the FA. Many refs I know have a grudging admiration for the way he walks all over the FA!I remember when Roeder started giving Refs what for and walking on the pitch, I knew there would be comeback and his days were numbered. It is the one advice I give all managers try no matter how bad the ref is to keep it to yourself. If nothing else it will spread to players who think ref is bias etc.It will be interesting to see what ref is like tonight!

Its so laughable someone can almost cause GBH on a football field but if the referee''s caught it in the corner of his eye and given a yellow- no retrospective action can be taken as he''s deemed to have dealt with it.

If someone gets two wrong yellows -they can''t appeal.

They obviously don''t like appeals of any sort, I can hardly hear of anyone recently winning an appeal. I would like to read the stats of how many successful appeals have been made compared to previous years.

If ever there was a case for a successful appeal it was today. I think we are heading towards an era where appeals are outlawed unless mistaken identity.

If this becomes the case then video technology has to be brought in because the percentage of incorrect decisions is way too high at the moment.

The only thing they consistently get right (uses the term right loosely) is booking someone when they take their shirt off or go across to the crowd. Why do they never get this wrong?

Even added time at the end of games is a lottery, sometimes there are injuries and substitutions yet only 4 minutes, but if a big personality (i.e. Fergie) is jawwing to 4th official the time seems to increase.

Also why is it when a corner is taken and ball goes in the ref blows for a foul by defender - corner is retaken -no penalty is given.

Yet if striker fouls as ball goes in box free kick is given to defending side, corner is not retaken.

Rant over.

The FA''s complaints procedure is detailed here (for what it''s worth!)http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/WhoWeAre/ContactUs/ComplaintsProcedure/Player/FARelatedComplaint.aspxAm I correct in thinking that we pay these jokers salaries?Why can''t they just admit a mistake has been made?