Sign in to follow this  
spainboy

Will you catch Leeds?

Leeds have had good starts before but dropped away after Christmas. I think if youre still 9 points clear come mid Feb then the title will be yours but if you slip we''ll come charging up behind you

Key difference this year is that there are 5 or 6 reasonably decent sides in L1 - so the pressure is lessened to a certain extent. Its easier for small teams to have 4 ''cup finals'', but not 12

[quote user="Barclay hero"]Leeds have had good starts before but dropped away after Christmas. I think if youre still 9 points clear come mid Feb then the title will be yours but if you slip we''ll come charging up behind you Key difference this year is that there are 5 or 6 reasonably decent sides in L1 - so the pressure is lessened to a certain extent. Its easier for small teams to have 4 ''cup finals'', but not 12[/quote]

Leeds are under completely different circumstances this year. Dont forget they only dropped off last season. the season before they finished 10 points ahead of forest (but had a 15 pt deduction which wasnt the players fault). Leeds are a lot stronger than last season and a change of manager didnt help. This aint gonna happen this season. Too much depth,quality and competition for places. Grayson is still going to get tow loan players in before it shuts to many leeds fans surprise.

I think we can! All other teams in top 6 have had a stutter. Leeds generally have since being in the division.

Personally have a feeling Beckford will leave in January, which will disrupt their season. His contract runs out in summer, so they will look to cash in!

Still not half way in season, got to play all top 6/7 again so anything could happen

We can forget Leeds - i think Huddersfield are the team we need to keep an eye on and will provide the stiffest competition for 2nd.

I really don''t want to be the team that misses out on auto promotion right at the end. That team rarely gets through the play offs.

No, I think they''re too far ahead to realistically catch. They''re due a blip for sure but I''m sure everyone is, including us.

As others have already alluded to, this season has been different for us so far in that we''re not losing all our key players through injury. What happens if Holt or Hoolahoop are out for a couple of months?

No. Our realistic and achievable target is second place, which will do us nicely. Being of a superstitious and pessemistic nature I have a horrible feeling we are more likely to just make it to a play-off place.

Probably not but if anybody is going to do it it''ll be us.

If Beckford was to get a long term injury, say just after the transfer window closes, that''d change things.

[quote user="spainboy"]Best defence in England (inc Premier league)

Best home record in a year (inc Premier league)

Lots of points and a game in hand and a better GD from anything out of a promotion spot.

Or are you intending now to try and get a second spot.?[/quote]Just like to point out a couple of things.First of all you don''t have the ''best defence in England'' - you have the best defencive record (ie goals conceeded) record in England. Being the best to me would indicate that they are Premiership / international quality which they are quite obviously not.As others have pointed out, your players have played in this division long enough and you have paid enough for most of them that they should be performing and getting out of this league one way or another.I would be happy with 2nd or promotion via the play offs - essentially as long as we go up I would be happy. And we would have achieved it a lot faster than Leeds.Just a couple of things I would like to add:- We have the best support in this league and in terms of league tables for home games we are up there in the top 20 so we have premiership class fans and turnouts.- No one likes you (Leeds).When we played you I was horribly disapointed - your team couldn''t play decent football. Its all route one stuff trying to get the ball to Beckford who struggled massively. One of those strikers that needs several chances before taking one, his first touch looked decidedly dodgey as well. Sure you can only beat the teams infront of you and its not his fault they are no good but even Cureton has scored a couple from the bench - and that says something.I think the league is yours to loose - but again having said that, you have done it before so good luck. You have a hard battling solid team in the mold of Bolton / Stoke and you will do well at this level but I wouldn''t get to carried away - there are a lot of things starting to leak out about Leeds and Ken Bates so I hope for your sake they have no effect on your campaign.

I don''t think we will catch them if things stay as they are. Charlton and Colchester have been slipping up a bit lately. If we are to catch them though I think they have to lose a key player - a couple of seasons ago Arsenal were doing just like Leeds are, but then lost Eduardo to a broken leg and ended up finishing 3rd.They may still slip up as I think that sometimes when teams are doing really well they can get a bit over-excited, causing their performances to start going down - I think I''ve noticed it happen to Man Utd a few times

Hi there, Leeds fans in peace here.Just thought I''d respond to a few points from this post if I may?-

In relation to you potentially achieving promotion "a lot faster than

Leeds" if you go up this season? It''d be unfair to assume you know the

full details of our two previous league one campaigns so let me tell

you in our first season down here, 07/08, we stormed the

division and achieved 91 pts and the second best GD in the league?

91pts would''ve seen us finish second behind Swansea''s 92pts and we did

it with a rag tag bunch a lot worse than your current squad. Alas, our

much hated Chairman Mao sorry, Bates, had tried to work the system

putting the club into admin the previous season and the FL gave us a

"special circumstances" deduction of 15pts then asked the other teams

in the league if it should remain (what do you think they said?), we

therefore finished 5th and lost in the dreaded PO final and Forest got

the auto spot with 82pts, 9 less than we had earned! And if you think

the minus 15pts is what spurred us on and we wouldn''t have got 91pts

without that deduction let me ask you one question: Would you fancy

trying it? Didn''t think so.- In relation to you having the best

home support in the league (577 above our average)? Have you seen our prices and ticketing

strategy? Our esteemed chairman has just revealed Hartlepool at home on

boxing day will be Category A! That''s Hartlepool currently 12th in the

table, Happy Christmas eh? I''d love to see what your attendance would

be like with Unkle Ken''s pricing. We pay the highest prices in the league and will be paying more again next season, no price freezes for us! Anyway, we averaged 26546 when we first came down have managed the highest single home attendances the past two seasons (38256, 34214) and already got 31838 against Charlton this season which will be smashed when Huddersfield come to town in December.- "No one likes you". Ta for

that. Noone likes us but very few can tell us why. Anyone who watched

us in the 70s may have reason to pull this one out but I doubt that''s

you. "Dirty Leeds"? We haven''t been "dirty" for years but to tell you

the truth, we''d rather be hated than loved so keep it up!- In

relation to us being route one and Stoke/Bolton like. Errr no. Against

you we were awful whilst you gave, according to your manager, your best

performance under him (and still lost). We are far from a long ball

Stoke side (which you seem to be basing on the game at ER) but neither

are we a pass it to death from defence to midfield to attack whilst

letting the opposition get back behind the ball type side! Putting our

performance in that game to one side, our true style is high tempo, one

touch stuff (like we''ve exhibited brilliantly the past five games) with

classy players like Kilkenny, Howson and Snodgrass pulling the strings.

We occasionally mix it up with long balls but that''s not our preferred

style. We are powerful and competitive though. Under McAllister

last season we tried the Arsenal way and it wasn''t effective in this

league, mainly because the defence always suffers with that style of

football. We now play, quick, effective football (did you see any of

our Brighton goals?) with a rock solid defence and we''re running away

with the league. In truth, our style''s more Chelsea than Stoke or Bolton, mate!Anyway,

good luck to you this season though. I''d like to see you go up because

you play nice football and have good fans. Hopefully we''re both playing

eachother again next season in The Championship. Any chance of your

miserable manager cheering up by then though??

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="spainboy"]Best defence in England (inc Premier league) Best home record in a year (inc Premier league) Lots of points and a game in hand and a better GD from anything out of a promotion spot. Or are you intending now to try and get a second spot.?[/quote]

Just like to point out a couple of things.

First of all you don''t have the ''best defence in England'' - you have the best defencive record (ie goals conceeded) record in England. Being the best to me would indicate that they are Premiership / international quality which they are quite obviously not.

As others have pointed out, your players have played in this division long enough and you have paid enough for most of them that they should be performing and getting out of this league one way or another.

I would be happy with 2nd or promotion via the play offs - essentially as long as we go up I would be happy. And we would have achieved it a lot faster than Leeds.

Just a couple of things I would like to add:
- We have the best support in this league and in terms of league tables for home games we are up there in the top 20 so we have premiership class fans and turnouts.
- No one likes you (Leeds).
When we played you I was horribly disapointed - your team couldn''t play decent football. Its all route one stuff trying to get the ball to Beckford who struggled massively. One of those strikers that needs several chances before taking one, his first touch looked decidedly dodgey as well. Sure you can only beat the teams infront of you and its not his fault they are no good but even Cureton has scored a couple from the bench - and that says something.

I think the league is yours to loose - but again having said that, you have done it before so good luck. You have a hard battling solid team in the mold of Bolton / Stoke and you will do well at this level but I wouldn''t get to carried away - there are a lot of things starting to leak out about Leeds and Ken Bates so I hope for your sake they have no effect on your campaign.
[/quote]

I feel a touch of sour grapes coming from that post. Firstly I would like to correct myself. Yes Leeds do have the best defensive record, not the best defence, the best record is what I obviously meant. 

Why were you disappointed? Do you honestly think it''s allabout fancy football in this league? We are in league one for heavens sake. Leeds play how they need to play and can play route one football if needs be. If you take a lot at the highlights Vs Brighton 2 days ago you will notice that we played very good passing football. A few games ago after the Charlton game their manager came out and said that Leeds were a lucky team and sort of implied how long we were going to ride our luck for. Tables don''t lie. Grayson must be doing something right,route football or not. The fact is with a full season and his own picked players he knows how to get out of this division and sucessfully did it before with Blackpool who had less funds than the likes of Yeovil.    Take Doncaster for instance. If teams won games on how brilliant they play then Doncaster would have won league one 2 years ago with games in hand. They still continue to play the best passing football in the Championship but look where they are in the table.!!

Norwich are on a good run right now but so are Leeds and have been consistant since game one. They still have a very steep hill to climb to catch Leeds right now and yes, it is our title to lose but you have to look at what we had last year and what we have now. This time last year we had conceded 20 goals, less than mid table form. This time only 8, best in the country and on top of that we can now call Elland Road a complete fortress. We couldn''t say that last year.     The strength and depth is massive,we have the best manager in a lot of years and cash to keep on building this week in the loan market and in January if needs be.. Norwich and Charlton are both pretty cash strapped from what I hear so let''s see how that turns out when you get suspensions and hamstring injuries over the harsh winter months.   And please don''t use the ''what if Beckford leaves'' old line. He will remain a Leeds united player until May and then he can do what he likes. This has been stressed on Simon Grayson''spost match questions on a few occasions.   Clever man!!!

Thank you for your post WW, a very good read. As footy fans we welcome anybody on this board as long as they can conduct themselves in the same manner as you!

I am from Hull and lived there until about 12 years ago so know quite a lot about Leeds and have been to your ground many times. You have some great support and have been through the mill and your Chairman rewards all this by trying to price you out of your stadium! As a result I agree you have a bigger fan base than us but our board want bums on seats and hence that''s why our support is stronger!

Nobody likes you, well certain members of your support don''t do yourselves many favours. I have been to nearly 70 grounds and only got attacked once, in the 1980s at Elland Road when I was still at school!

That aside I wish you luck for the rest of the season and if we both occupy both top spots in May I won''t care if we are 2nd!!

[quote user="spainboy"]

[quote user="Barclay hero"]Leeds have had good starts before but dropped away after Christmas. I think if youre still 9 points clear come mid Feb then the title will be yours but if you slip we''ll come charging up behind you Key difference this year is that there are 5 or 6 reasonably decent sides in L1 - so the pressure is lessened to a certain extent. Its easier for small teams to have 4 ''cup finals'', but not 12[/quote]

Leeds are under completely different circumstances this year. Dont forget they only dropped off last season. the season before they finished 10 points ahead of forest (but had a 15 pt deduction which wasnt the players fault). Leeds are a lot stronger than last season and a change of manager didnt help. This aint gonna happen this season. Too much depth,quality and competition for places. Grayson is still going to get tow loan players in before it shuts to many leeds fans surprise.

[/quote]

Maybe - but just after Christmas in your deduction season, you''d virtually wiped that out.  Then you dropped off

Most people on here will know what loan players can do for you.  They can either make your season (Huckerby Crouch & Harper) or they can break it.  Graysons done a good job so far, but you''ll lose your advantage if you overcomplicate things

[quote user="Barclay hero"][quote user="spainboy"]

[/quote]

Maybe - but just after Christmas in your deduction season, you''d virtually wiped that out.  Then you dropped off

Most people on here will know what loan players can do for you.  They can either make your season (Huckerby Crouch & Harper) or they can break it.  Graysons done a good job so far, but you''ll lose your advantage if you overcomplicate things

[/quote]

No real need to complicate things. So far Vokes was brought in because Becchio was injured and Gradel was brought in as a sub to change the game which he does (as you well know).

No real need to change our system and to be honest I can only see perhaps a left back coming in this week. Look at the first team and back up below.

Higgs(injured)---Ankergren   Crowe/Bromby   Naylor/Michalik    Kisnourbo/Marques.     Hughes/Parker(injured)   Snodgrass/Robinson.  Howson/Prutton   Doyle/Kilkenny   Johnson/Gradel    Beckford/Vokes   Becchio/Kandol.

A team of Ankergren,Bromby,Michalik,Marques,Parker,Robinson,Prutton,Kilkenny,Gradel,Vokes,Kandol would be extremely strong for this division.

[quote user="spainboy"][quote user="Barclay hero"][quote user="spainboy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No real need to complicate things. So far Vokes was brought in because Becchio was injured and Gradel was brought in as a sub to change the game which he does (as you well know).

No real need to change our system and to be honest I can only see perhaps a left back coming in this week. Look at the first team and back up below.

Higgs(injured)---Ankergren   Crowe/Bromby   Naylor/Michalik    Kisnourbo/Marques.     Hughes/Parker(injured)   Snodgrass/Robinson.  Howson/Prutton   Doyle/Kilkenny   Johnson/Gradel    Beckford/Vokes   Becchio/Kandol.

A team of Ankergren,Bromby,Michalik,Marques,Parker,Robinson,Prutton,Kilkenny,Gradel,Vokes,Kandol would be extremely strong for this division.

[/quote]

One player that would do well for us is Hoolahan. Could Leeds realistially get him in January? Yes.!!  Worked under Grayson.Leeds have the money and Norwich need cash.  Not an unrealistic thought.

[quote user="spainboy"][quote user="spainboy"][quote user="Barclay hero"][quote user="spainboy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

One player that would do well for us is Hoolahan. Could Leeds realistially get him in January? Yes.!!  Worked under Grayson.Leeds have the money and Norwich need cash.  Not an unrealistic thought.

[/quote]Doubt he''d leave us for you guys, if a well placed Championship side came in perhaps but why we would he leave when he''s happy, the side looking good for promotion and he''s playing in front of full houses for the best supported side in this division

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="spainboy"][quote user="spainboy"][quote user="Barclay hero"][quote user="spainboy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Doubt he''d leave us for you guys, if a well placed Championship side came in perhaps but why we would he leave when he''s happy, the side looking good for promotion and he''s playing in front of full houses for the best supported side in this division
[/quote]

Come on. What a cheap comment. How many will Norwich be getting in a few days when the Leeds Vs Huddersfield clash of 38,000 are there? 31,000 Vs Charlton the other week too.  You are averaging 24k-25k and Leeds about 22k but out do you on those big games by 10,000..   Norwich will sell if someone comes along mark my words. Leeds are a bigger club that potentially will get bigger crowds in the championship and if we are top by xmas (which is extremely likely) and Grayson shows an interest then Hoolahan wont think twice.

[quote user="spainboy"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="spainboy"][quote user="spainboy"][quote user="Barclay hero"][quote user="spainboy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Doubt he''d leave us for you guys, if a well placed Championship side came in perhaps but why we would he leave when he''s happy, the side looking good for promotion and he''s playing in front of full houses for the best supported side in this division[/quote]

Come on. What a cheap comment. How many will Norwich be getting in a few days when the Leeds Vs Huddersfield clash of 38,000 are there? 31,000 Vs Charlton the other week too.  You are averaging 24k-25k and Leeds about 22k but out do you on those big games by 10,000..   Norwich will sell if someone comes along mark my words. Leeds are a bigger club that potentially will get bigger crowds in the championship and if we are top by xmas (which is extremely likely) and Grayson shows an interest then Hoolahan wont think twice.

[/quote]Why don''t all those fans turn up week in week out?

Mr Grayson has already been in touch with The Hooligan''s agent on the "come home" basis.  That we can say with certainty.  Hooligan certainly playing well but given a straight choice between Lambert and Grayson the silly Irish lad would choose Grayson.

Personal I suppose.[;)]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="spainboy"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="spainboy"][quote user="spainboy"][quote user="Barclay hero"][quote user="spainboy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Doubt he''d leave us for you guys, if a well placed Championship side came in perhaps but why we would he leave when he''s happy, the side looking good for promotion and he''s playing in front of full houses for the best supported side in this division
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why don''t all those fans turn up week in week out?
[/quote]

Simple.  Ticket prices.Higher than yours hence why you are currently getting on average 2k more than us on home games. Ive just bought 2 tickets for the Huddersfield game costing £62!!

We''d do very well to get attendances like 38,000. You''d do very well to fill your ground. Ultimately, your ground is too big for you, you can''t sell all your tickets and £62??? Did the guy have binoculars? How else could he have seen you coming from THAT distance...?

yeah 31 quid a ticket for the west stand. I think the kop is about 22ish though.

Even still our price structure is higher than everyone elses by 2-3 quid.

[quote user="spainboy"]yeah 31 quid a ticket for the west stand. I think the kop is about 22ish though. Even still our price structure is higher than everyone elses by 2-3 quid.[/quote]

Well 2-3 quid really doesn''t make all that much difference to people, you just CAN NOT sell your tickets!

BTW now you have made your point about how you feel Leeds will win the league, please excuse yourself from the NORWICH forum and go back to your Leeds message board troll!

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

[quote user="spainboy"]yeah 31 quid a ticket for the west stand. I think the kop is about 22ish though. Even still our price structure is higher than everyone elses by 2-3 quid.[/quote]

Well 2-3 quid really doesn''t make all that much difference to people, you just CAN NOT sell your tickets!

BTW now you have made your point about how you feel Leeds will win the league, please excuse yourself from the NORWICH forum and go back to your Leeds message board troll!

[/quote]

2 or 3 quid makes a hell of a difference. That''s 60 quid a season per person, 120 per couple and maybe even 200+ for a family.

Do you expect Leeds to be full to the brim each week in league one? why have Newcastle dropped 10,000 each week now they are in a league lower.? why are Hull City getting more people now they are in the prem. Its the way it goes.

Huddersfeild were doing 100 quid season tickets.Leeds were doing them at 700.

Lets be realistic about things. The fact still remains that Leeds made 4m profit last year and probably the same this year and the likes of Charlton and Norwich are on the bones of their backsides. So really I couldnt care less if Leeds are getting 2k less than norwich this season. We have tons more money than you because of our shrewd chairman and thats all that counts.

happy spending in January.!!! I know we will be.!!

Yes Leeds may well have made those profits Spainboy but they trampled over so many people so many times with their pathetic overspending and administration that I doubt anyone cares. Your once famous club is now tainted by what has happened. For so many years you were rivals to the top clubs in the land and now your rivals are Huddersfield and Rochdale. It''s no coincidence that no team who has been in administration seems to ever have returned to former glories. You may return to the Champs but I doubt you will progress much further. If you do you will most certainly buck the trend. The goodwill has gone and won''t be there when you need it just as our impoverished neighbours have found out to their cost.

LOL, honestly, could you be anymore patronising???

"Hoolahan will leave you for us".

On what basis?? It''s widely reported he''s happy here and that Lambert doesn''t want to sell him.

He''s a Norwich player til the end of the season at the very least.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Yes Leeds may well have made those profits Spainboy but they trampled over so many people so many times with their pathetic overspending and administration that I doubt anyone cares. Your once famous club is now tainted by what has happened. For so many years you were rivals to the top clubs in the land and now your rivals are Huddersfield and Rochdale. It''s no coincidence that no team who has been in administration seems to ever have returned to former glories. You may return to the Champs but I doubt you will progress much further. If you do you will most certainly buck the trend. The goodwill has gone and won''t be there when you need it just as our impoverished neighbours have found out to their cost.

[/quote]

Why wont we progress much further? We are better than both Leicester and Swansea were in this league and look where they are now. Consistancy plays a big part and if we continue to perform the way we do then there is a good chance this will be a great set up for the league above, however let''s not be too complacent.

You say Leeds trampled on people. Look at other teams in the prem and how they work.The likes of chelsea taking youngsters from other clubs without permission because they think they can. It doesn''t need me to tell you how some of these clubs cheat and do things backhandedly to get what they want. The over spending and underachieving of Leeds wont be the last club in history to go down this road. Leeds were the first.that''s all.

No one really cares what you think anyway.Leeds have bottomed out and are coming out of the other side. Not long ago you were playing the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea too and now you are a just above mid table league one team so you of all people should understand the overspending/underachieving situation otherwise you wouldn''t be riddled in debt the way you are.

Come back when you have a valid argument.