Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

The Pink 'Un.....RIP?

As a suscriber to the '' Pink ''Un '' for longer than I care to remember I''ve not had the usual subscription reminder so far this year.

I rang Archant and was told that talks are going on as to the future of the publication and we subscribers would be told of the paper''s fate very soon. It sounded to me that because of the internet sales have declined to the extent that it''s no longer viable to print a hard copy.

I don''t suppose for one minute that this will concern some on here who''ve probably never bought a copy but I think it will be a sad day to see the dear old '' Pink ''Un '' vanish from the newsagents after all these years.

Anyone else likely to shed a tear ?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

As a suscriber to the '' Pink ''Un '' for longer than I care to remember I''ve not had the usual subscription reminder so far this year.

I rang Archant and was told that talks are going on as to the future of the publication and we subscribers would be told of the paper''s fate very soon. It sounded to me that because of the internet sales have declined to the extent that it''s no longer viable to print a hard copy.

I don''t suppose for one minute that this will concern some on here who''ve probably never bought a copy but I think it will be a sad day to see the dear old '' Pink ''Un '' vanish from the newsagents after all these years.

[/quote]

Shame if it were to go..........Pete any news?

I too would be upset if this were to happen, fewer and fewer of this type of paper are produced anywhere in the country. I don''t know if the pink''un''s sister publication the Ipswich green''un is also under threat, or could there be plans to merge them? That would certainly make some of the columns eg ''man in the stand'' interesting. 

Bound to happen one day in a limited market. Besides with what you can get on the website, videos etc, it makes more financial sense to concentrate what resources you have on that.This forum seems a bit RIP too lately. There seem to be a few posters I used to enjoy reading who haven''t been around for a while.[:(]

Seems a good time to quote my three favorite headlines from the pink-un

1. Bly Bly Babes - (no comment about the poster of the same name - after the FA cup victory in 59 Terry Bly scored twice)

2 Hot Cross Bone day (72 promotion season - a Good Friday victory - Davis Cross and Jimmy Bone scored)

3 Dunces with Wolves (Following a 5-0 hammering at Wolves)

Just isn''t the same on line a the printed word.

Seems a good time to quote my three favorite headlines from the pink-un

1. Bly Bly Babes - (no comment about the poster of the same name - after the FA cup victory in 59 Terry Bly scored twice)

2 Hot Cross Bone day (72 promotion season - a Good Friday victory - Davis Cross and Jimmy Bone scored)

3 Dunces with Wolves (Following a 5-0 hammering at Wolves)

Just isn''t the same on-line as the printed word.

So putting two and two together.  Pete asked a while back bout what we would like to see on a mobile site, and also that they were working on a new site for the future.Expect a subscription content service soon with the paper disappearing.....

Although 1 quid for the Pinkun last season was absolutely extortionate. The first 4 or 5 pages on Norwich were ok, but then there was about 40 pages on local football which is just boring in my opinion. It''s probably worth about 20-30 pence.

"I don''t suppose for one minute that this will concern some on here who''ve probably never bought a copy".

What a sad and pretentious comment; I would bet my house on the majority of people on here having bought quite a few copies. Personally I used to buy it for the away games and get all the conversation I needed about home games in the city centre bars with fellow supporters. I stopped buying it after discovering broadband, and quite frankly.... my recycling bin is 46 pink un''s lighter each year, so I could say something pretentious and boring like: "I bet some of those pink un subscribers don''t recycle their copies".

With the amount of traffic driven to this site, and the additional traffic that will surely be driven to this site as a result, I am sure that they make plenty of money from advertising revenues.

I can''t see why they just don''t put some adsense on the forum; I would.

The only thing that I WOULD like to see however is Pink Un specials. Particularly if we won the League One title or the Championship or something, I would hate to lose the chance to gain a memento from something like that. If we won League One this year then a ''Pink Un Champions Special'' is an absolute must.

It will be a very sad day if it goes.......as a kid I used to deliver the pink in the village where I lived......every bloke there took it, whether they had been to the match or not....it would be a read of the early evening....and then most would be off to the local to discuss what they''d read......or seen at the match.....over a few beers.....and then a stagger home......sweet memories.....!

[/quote]

Yes... another important institution possibly on the way out.......

Memories of being a kid reading the City match report on away games having waited for the BBC teleprinter to give out the results... then looking for the local club news and checking to see if you''d got a mention in the Youth League section...

It would be very sad to see it go.... but the following is no longer mainly in the local area now and the internet is king.

Sad but inevitable........

I for one will shed a tear.

Used to like picking up my copy late sat night/early sun morning from the Fiveways petrol station.

Happy days.

Shame, but it really is too expensive for what''s it it nowadays.

I remember when it was actually pink back it the early eighties when I was a lad, and used to go round to the local chippy on a Saturday evening to buy our copy, back then it was the only way of reading what had actually happended at an away match if you hadn''t been.

Living blooming miles away now as I do, i subscribed to the Pink Un last year (although a few editions never arrived) and prevoiusly subscribed to the online edition too.My best memories are as a kid waiting around the City after the game to get a copy for the return journey to Hertfordshire, then also as I grew up, waiting for the delivery at the station with several others before sprinting down the platform to the train back to London.The Pink Un is a Norwich institution and will certainly be missed by me if it dies.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]"I don''t suppose for one minute that this will concern some on here who''ve probably never bought a copy". What a sad and pretentious comment; I would bet my house on the majority of people on here having bought quite a few copies. Personally I used to buy it for the away games and get all the conversation I needed about home games in the city centre bars with fellow supporters. I stopped buying it after discovering broadband, and quite frankly.... my recycling bin is 46 pink un''s lighter each year, so I could say something pretentious and boring like: "I bet some of those pink un subscribers don''t recycle their copies". With the amount of traffic driven to this site, and the additional traffic that will surely be driven to this site as a result, I am sure that they make plenty of money from advertising revenues. I can''t see why they just don''t put some adsense on the forum; I would.[/quote]

Thanks for your comments JV. I''ve no idea how old you are but I suspect you won''t see 21 again so perhaps you can see where I''m coming from.

It is indeed a sad - but pretentious ? - comment I made if some people have never bought a '' Pink ''Un ''. I did say SOME and by that I mean young computer-savvy youngsters who somehow find all their knowledge of life through a screen blindfold but wouldn''t dream of physically ploughing through any printed news. I''m sure there must be many more people on here who''ve bought at least one copy of the '' Pink ''Un '' than those who haven''t. 

This isn''t a critiscism of you personally but you''ve hit the nail right on the head when you say, " I stopped buying it after discovering broadband ". That''s the big problem for many publications, certainly not just those in the Archant stable.

You could indeed say something like, " I bet some of those '' Pink ''Un '' don''t recycle their copies ". I''m puzzled as to why you think that''s boring or pretentious but for the record I never re-cycle mine. I apologise if by not doing so I''m committing a crime against humanity and now fully expect to be hauled into the dock as an enemy of the state. Before I''m dragged away screaming may I would point out that I''ve kept every single copy I''ve ever bought ( much to my other half''s bewilderment ).

The '' Pink ''Un '' forms part of the very fabric of the history of Norwich City Football Club and I''m not letting go of the chunk I hold. There''s something magical about reading all those old match reports balanced precariously on the loft rafters.

Sure no doubt one day everything that''s ever been said, written and even thought about Norwich City will be somewhere on this flickering screen.

But it won''t be quite the same, will it?

[quote user="Big Bob"]Although 1 quid for the Pinkun last season was absolutely extortionate. The first 4 or 5 pages on Norwich were ok, but then there was about 40 pages on local football which is just boring in my opinion. It''s probably worth about 20-30 pence.
[/quote]

As you say, it''s terrible value for money. I think it''s almost bound to die as the circulation must be very low indeed now. I used to buy it but haven''t done so for ages - probably since websites and forums such as this have been available. Of course, all newspaper sales have been adversely affected by the advent of the internet and I''m sure a few are under threat of closure

I think many people like myself can''t bring themselves to buy it if we''ve lost, fair weather reader, could explain the recent decline in sales

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]"I don''t suppose for one minute that this will concern some on here who''ve probably never bought a copy". What a sad and pretentious comment; I would bet my house on the majority of people on here having bought quite a few copies. Personally I used to buy it for the away games and get all the conversation I needed about home games in the city centre bars with fellow supporters. I stopped buying it after discovering broadband, and quite frankly.... my recycling bin is 46 pink un''s lighter each year, so I could say something pretentious and boring like: "I bet some of those pink un subscribers don''t recycle their copies". With the amount of traffic driven to this site, and the additional traffic that will surely be driven to this site as a result, I am sure that they make plenty of money from advertising revenues. I can''t see why they just don''t put some adsense on the forum; I would.[/quote]

Thanks for your comments JV. I''ve no idea how old you are but I suspect you won''t see 21 again so perhaps you can see where I''m coming from.

It is indeed a sad - but pretentious ? - comment I made if some people have never bought a '' Pink ''Un ''. I did say SOME and by that I mean young computer-savvy youngsters who somehow find all their knowledge of life through a screen blindfold but wouldn''t dream of physically ploughing through any printed news. I''m sure there must be many more people on here who''ve bought at least one copy of the '' Pink ''Un '' than those who haven''t. 

This isn''t a critiscism of you personally but you''ve hit the nail right on the head when you say, " I stopped buying it after discovering broadband ". That''s the big problem for many publications, certainly not just those in the Archant stable.

You could indeed say something like, " I bet some of those '' Pink ''Un '' don''t recycle their copies ". I''m puzzled as to why you think that''s boring or pretentious but for the record I never re-cycle mine. I apologise if by not doing so I''m committing a crime against humanity and now fully expect to be hauled into the dock as an enemy of the state. Before I''m dragged away screaming may I would point out that I''ve kept every single copy I''ve ever bought ( much to my other half''s bewilderment ).

The '' Pink ''Un '' forms part of the very fabric of the history of Norwich City Football Club and I''m not letting go of the chunk I hold. There''s something magical about reading all those old match reports balanced precariously on the loft rafters.

Sure no doubt one day everything that''s ever been said, written and even thought about Norwich City will be somewhere on this flickering screen.

[/quote]

Being criticised for this truly stinks....

For me this little example of sentiment says a great deal about you. We could do with a lot more of this kind of thinking before the world finally turns us all a neutral shade and we totally lose sight of where we''ve come from.

10/10 [*]

[/quote]O C D

[quote user="foggo7"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]

O C D
[/quote]

OCD ? Probably ........( lol )

My wife seems to think that if she wasn''t here to keep things from running amok I''d be like dear old Mr Trebus, the star of that fly-on-the-wall TV series documentary '' A Life of Grime '' which still gets repeated from time to time.

For those that don''t remember old Mr T never threw anything away. Consequently his house and garden were piled high from floor to ceiling with rubbish, so much so that  inside the house he had to resort to burrowing tunnels through it all just so he could get from one room to another.

I''ve told my wife that that''s been my dream for my ever expanding collection of '' Pink ''Uns '', but now, sadly, it looks like I''m in for a big disappointment.......

The pink un was not just there for NCFC, but is the lifesblood for many amatuer football sides. 

Many of us could see this happening ages ago.  If you look at the link below, you will see that it was raised about lack of exposure for the smaller local sides.  People dont want to spend £1 nowadays on something they get to read online anyway, however had more local issues, reports and club features had been added, you never know, after all who doesnt like seeing their own name in print, and thats what the junior football section gave you 10 years ago.  This was slowly whittled down to 4 or 5 pages covering the whole of football in Norfolk other than NCFC or kings Lynn.  Thats over 200 clubs given just half an issue!  Shame on you archant

http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1018897/ShowPost.aspx

For about the first time ever I agree with Cluck, there is nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgic sentiment. I can well remember in the early seventies waiting outside the local newsagent for the pink-un to arrive. It was pink then and broadsheet.

While on the subject of local paper I can remember when the evening news was an evening paper in fact on a Saturday if there were any early goals they would be reported in the late news.

I realise that things have moved on and I am by no means a ludite having worked in IT for over 30 years, I just sometimes feel that the instant nature of news takes away some of the thrill about finding out who our new signings are. Lets face it when was the last time a new signing was unveiled and everyone was surprised. I am old enough to have been at Carrow Rd the night that David Cross was announced as our new striker having signed for a club record of £40,000. Things are just not that exciting any more.

And if the above makes me a sad old git than so be it.

I thought the decision to stop printing the Pink Un was made some time ago. However I think Archant are thinking of putting a sort of supplement in the Monday EDP - which they may even call the Pink Un. I can fondly remember waiting in the the local newsagents (who stayed open late especially) for the Pink Un to arrive. The shop used to get quite full of chaps standing around waiting, chatting about the game. Those were the days before Radio Norfolk did commentary. So if it was an away game you really didn''t know how we had played until you read about it. We used to send our copy away to my uncle who moved about the UK a fair bit because of his job. He always looked forward to it arriving on Tuesday morning. I used to like reading about the local teams as well. It is a shame that Archant don''t cover as much local football as they used to. I think it was called the Pink Un simply because it was printed on pink paper - why pink paper I am not sure. It''s a sad day if it goes. Another piece of football history lost. 

how long has the pinkun been going then?i must admit i havent bought a copy for a good 4 or 5 years now, i can get everything i want online.