Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

I hope Maric turns down his contract offer!.

because if he doesn''t and signs, I fear this will be a real kop-out for Gunn.

You can sign whoever you like but at the end of the day it''s how many goals you score that will determine how succesful a season will be - and invariably strikers cost the most money. Should we really settle for someone we stumbled upon in pre-season and scored a couple of goals against two Scottish teams.

I''d rather have a proven goalscorer in English football.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

You can sign whoever you like but at the end of the day it''s how many goals you score that will determine how succesful a season will be - and invariably strikers cost the most money. Should we really settle for someone we stumbled upon in pre-season and scored a couple of goals against two Scottish teams.

[/quote]Recommended by Dejan apparently.And as for scoring goals, that''s basically what Maric has been doing since he''s been part of our squad.

Do you really think it''s impossible to sign a good player, who nobody has even heard of, for little or no money?Two words, Ferrie Bodde.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"]We need two strikers in my opinion anyway.

Maric and a proven striker like Holt
[/quote]

Exactly. Get Maric on a free and we can spend that little bit more on his strike partner. I''d like Holt, but certainly wouldn''t turn down Bishop as well...that''s perhaps a little too greedy though!

Complete tosh! Whats to say he wont be the find of the season.

[/quote]We settled for a season of Ched Evans who nobody had heard of.  Everybody, on the other hand, had heard of Jamie Cureton.  Which would you rather have?

[/quote]

Liverpool fans said the same when Torres signed....

jas :)

even if he does not set the world alight id rather he is sat on our bench then someone elses

he could come off the bench and make a impact like Iwan used in his twilight years

why are so many people hung up about money, not paying a fee for a player does not make that player any worse than a player who might cost us £1m, the only difference is that one still has a year or so left on his contract and the other has decided not to sign another contract and see what else is out there!

times have changed, players are now looking for a slice of the pie with the signing on fee/bonus which of course they don''t get if you buy someone!

in other words, price or no price does not guarantee goals at our level - when you pay £20m for a striker then maybe, but then there have been a few expensive flops over the year (Alfonso Alves anyone - £12m for what??)

I''d have the top scorer in the Spanish first division in my team !!, unfounately don''t really think that Maric is that.

My real issue here is that this is a guy that we just seem to have stumbled upon without having seen or know much about, he was playing for C.Palace two days before we took him to Scotland. He scores a couple of goals against mediocre opposition and we''re throwing a contract at him!!, I''d rather see him play against Palace and Wigan first.

My other fear here is that Gunn would then call it complete as far as strikers go.

There''s a little too much of the "Strihavka''s" about this for me.

Norwich could do with a bit more european talent, other than English, Scottish or Irish!

Who says he hadn''t seen him or known nothing about him?

That''s the thing, there are lots of things that go on behind the scenes at football clubs, it is more likely that a number of clubs have been aware and as he came over he went to Palace first as they are Championship, no go there so came to have a look at us!

I hope he signs but I wouldn''t be surprised if he get''s a better offer elsewhere as, even with Clingan and Russell money, I don''t think we''ll have enough to afford him as he looks quality. I also don''t think we will be forking out £500k or so for a partner or replacement for him. If he doesn''t sign I don''t expect any proven striker will be signed instead. Hope I''m wrong but we seem really skint.     

No fee involved and we have made him an offer which he is considering.  With our current batch of strikers being Cureton, Martin and McDonald,  it is obvious we need at least a couple of more strikers.  If he is still here at the weekend then we can all get a chance to look at him and make our own minds up.

maybe im wrong here but wont the players agent have any idea before spending time with a club so close to the start of a season how much the player wanted for salary if he signs..?

talks must have happened before hand regarding salary.?

im not sure on this one just a thought .

[quote user="silver fox"]

No fee involved and we have made him an offer which he is considering.  With our current batch of strikers being Cureton, Martin and McDonald,  it is obvious we need at least a couple of more strikers.  If he is still here at the weekend then we can all get a chance to look at him and make our own minds up.

[/quote]Gunn said he was back in Belgrade nursing his injury.

"because if he doesn''t and signs, I fear this will be a real kop-out for Gunn."

We''ll that''s the key point, nothing wrong with signing the guy, but is he THE solution, or just a PART of the solution?

[quote user="Alan_Grey"]Do you really think it''s impossible to sign a good player, who nobody has even heard of, for little or no money?

Two words, Ferrie Bodde.
[/quote]

Good spot, Ferrie Bodde is one of the best unknowns I think I have seen... He just popped up and Swansea built around him! And they were right to do so!

Excellent player! So why not take a chance, there is as much chance of Maric getting us 20 odd goals this season as there is Grant Holt if we were to sign him... I like the fact that the squad is finally a contracted squad and if it means taking a few gambles... so be it!

GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary wrote

Should we really settle for someone we stumbled upon in pre-season and scored a couple of goals against two Scottish teams.

So what does that make Cody McDONALD?...... who was also plucked from the obscurity of unknown football.....WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS POST...... just because Maric is not a household name to you as a top striker you condem him before a ball has been kicked this season in the league.....I much rather trust the judgement of Gunny/Crooky and Butts than a muppet like you.

[quote user="Stephen Frys Evil Twin"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[/quote]

Recommended by Dejan apparently.

And as for scoring goals, that''s basically what Maric has been doing since he''s been part of our squad.
[/quote]

Against WEAK teams, Col Who will be somewhat different!

[quote user="porkyp"]GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary wrote Should we really settle for someone we stumbled upon in pre-season and scored a couple of goals against two Scottish teams. I''d rather have a proven goalscorer in English football. So what does that make Cody McDONALD?...... who was also plucked from the obscurity of unknown football.....WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS POST...... just because Maric is not a household name to you as a top striker you condem him before a ball has been kicked this season in the league.....I much rather trust the judgement of Gunny/Crooky and Butts than a muppet like you.[/quote]

Firsly McDonald has only scored ONE GOAL so far, but early to judge yet don''t you think?

Don''t come crying to me if/when Maric has his contract cancelled in Jan and returns to Serbia, you''ll wish we signed a proven English striker then at the start of the season!

As for backing Gunn/Crooks judgement - that''s really worked well so far hasn''t it !!!!!

lastly - good use of the word ''muppet'' - enjoying the first week of your six week school holidays are we?

[quote user="porkyp"]GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary wrote Should we really settle for someone we stumbled upon in pre-season and scored a couple of goals against two Scottish teams. I''d rather have a proven goalscorer in English football. So what does that make Cody McDONALD?...... who was also plucked from the obscurity of unknown football.....WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS POST...... just because Maric is not a household name to you as a top striker you condem him before a ball has been kicked this season in the league.....I much rather trust the judgement of Gunny/Crooky and Butts than a muppet like you.[/quote]

Cody=Unproven.................muppet.

I would like to see a strike force of Maric and Holt next season with Mcdonald as back up I think that would slove a goal scoring problem up front with these guys.