Sign in to follow this  
Canary Man of Kent

Shack is back

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

lets be honest its another backward step by gunn. cureton and shackell were shipped out for a good reason and reagrdless of the fact roeder was the man to do it 90% of us fans agreed it was time for them to move on and supported the decision.

since cureton has returned roeders judgement has been proved correct and i can only see it happen again with shacks. in fact looking at what gunns done so far it is worrying, bringing players like shackell and cureton back and letting players like lupes and bell leave!

[/quote]

With due respect Lups wanted to leave, you can''t make a player play for you if he doesn''t want to be here[:)]

[/quote]

if we had played him, he would have stayed. i think he generally loved playing infront of us fans

I don''t think Shackell coming back is the end of the world, but it shows how few players are interested to coming to Norwich, so we resort to ''known quantities''. Maybe Gunn has been on the blower to Martin Peters or David Phillips? Every ex player is in with a shout right now.

Well i think he''s a good player, not amazing, but a good player, he''ll be better next to grounds too imo. Maybe with the doc getting better he''ll be able to impress more next to him although those 2, despite me liking them individually, never really did it for me. i was sad to see him leave, but happy that we got £1.5m for him, i really hope that he does well for us, as he has in the past and then we buy him back for like a third of what he left for, then he''ll have basically earned us £1m! (I reckon he planned it from the startStick out tongue [:P])

So, To all the people who are upset, angry or as on another thread ASHAMED!! to see Shacks back, Just one question, what will you do when he runs out on the pitch, Cheer him as any player in yellow and Green should be? Or start chanting you don''t know what you''re doing at Gunn?

[quote user="sturgeon220"]
  So, To all the people who are upset, angry or as on another thread ASHAMED!! to see Shacks back, Just one question, what will you do when he runs out on the pitch, Cheer him as any player in yellow and Green should be? Or start chanting you don''t know what you''re doing at Gunn?
[/quote]

Cheer him of course, anyone who pulls on a Y&G shirt and plays for us will get applause and cheers from me.

I''m not upset by this signing at all.

Am glad to see him back, he was a solid centre back for us. Believe he will do OK and could help stabilise back four.

Apparently Robert Rosario is coming back too. What are they playing at? We got rid of him for a good reason.

[quote user="tribes"]Marshall; Otsemobar; Docherty; Shackell; Drury. With Croft; Fotheringham; Russell and Cureton. Sounds familiar. It''s almost as though Roeder had never been here.[/quote]

Just wait for Peter Grant to turn up in the summer and bring Chris Brown as his first signing.

I dont think getting Shackell back here on loan is the answer to our prayers. But I do think that he is better than what we have already. Plus he knows the club and will soon settle in. I do hope another central defender will soon follow, hopefully Davies from Stoke, because then the signing of Shackell will make much more sense. Shackell will then provide that much needed cover, particulary as Grounds goes back soon, and competition for places. 

Another right back will not go a miss while we are at it. Whats Marc Edworthy doing at the moment?

[quote user="JohnoBono"]

I dont think getting Shackell back here on loan is the answer to our prayers. But I do think that he is better than what we have already. Plus he knows the club and will soon settle in. I do hope another central defender will soon follow, hopefully Davies from Stoke, because then the signing of Shackell will make much more sense. Shackell will then provide that much needed cover, particulary as Grounds goes back soon, and competition for places. 

Another right back will not go a miss while we are at it. Whats Marc Edworthy doing at the moment?

[/quote]

Edworthy signed for Leicester City on 7 November 2008, signing a two month contract that will see him stay at the club until 6 January 2009. He made his debut in Leicester''s 3–0 FA Cup first round victory over Stevenage Borough, playing the full 90 minutes.

On January 6th, 2009 Edowrthy agreed to stay at Leicester until the end of the 2008-09 season.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="CT the Jarrold king"]

[quote user="tribes"]Marshall; Otsemobar; Docherty; Shackell; Drury. With Croft; Fotheringham; Russell and Cureton. Sounds familiar. It''s almost as though Roeder had never been here.[/quote]

We''re missing someone though....

[/quote]

Yes we are missing plenty. If we could keep going back until we got to October 2006 we could have :-

Gallacher

Colin Doherty Shackell Drury
Croft Safri Etuhu Huckerby

Dublin Earnshaw.
Subs: Camp Fleming Hughes Robinson Thorne

But we hated that so much we protested inside and outside the ground and hired out St Andrews Hall to get rid of the man who put that lot together in order to end up where we are now.[:|]

[/quote]

Nutty you are stirring the pot again.

Colin,Camp,Hughes,Robinson,Thorne. Legends in your eyes obviously.

Etuhu and Earnshaw.Aren''t they the ones who when they signed had get out clauses in case it went tits up?.

[/quote]

How can that be stirring the pot? Is every opinion that is different to yours stirring the pot? Have you moved on from Commander Tilson to Ayatolah Tilson?

And whilst Etuhu and Earnshaw had those clauses in their contracts can you be sure that they would have acted on them if they''d still been playing for the manager who signed them? Players like Huckerby, Dublin, Etuhu and Earnshaw were more than happy to play for Worthy but also more than happy to come out and publicly criticise subsequent managers.

My opinion on Worthy has never changed and well you know it. And at least we had legends at the club when he left. How many legends did your mate Granty sign?

[/quote]

Oh dear Nutty,yesterday i was moody according to you so may i be so bold as to say you appear to be a tad touchy today?Grant was my mate was he?I take it you base that on the fact i thought he would be a good manager.Fair enough i was wrong on that score but to be fair your love affair with Worthington is reaching stalking proportions.Get over him mate.

As you said recently you will post whatever you want on here so be prepared for those who don''t subscribe to your train of thought on the odd post.Ayatolah indeed,mirrors come to mind.

[/quote]

Here comes the mirror man and he''s a city fan....

I have no problem with posters who don''t subscribe to my train of thought just with those who believe that I only post my opinion to stir the pot or cause trouble.

Where are all the legends we have signed since Worthy went? The grass wasn''t really greener was it Tilly?

How much did we actually sell Shacks for? The figures on this thread range from £500k to £1.5 million!? Nobody has a clue do they!

Anyway, let''s hope his return is more successful than Cureton''s!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Well i think he''s a good player, not amazing, but a good player, he''ll be better next to grounds too imo. Maybe with the doc getting better he''ll be able to impress more next to him although those 2, despite me liking them individually, never really did it for me. i was sad to see him leave, but happy that we got £1.5m for him, i really hope that he does well for us, as he has in the past and then we buy him back for like a third of what he left for, then he''ll have basically earned us £1m! (I reckon he planned it from the startStick out tongue [:P])[/quote]Another nice idea there Jimmy...I think he will be ok too, knowledge and to some people still a good player.Good luck to him i say and as WAY49 said anyone who wears the Y&G will get a cheer from me too[:D]P.S. except a ips**t player... i still hold grudges lol

I''m going to be positive about this too!  I thought under Roeder both Shack''s and Doc''s confidence had been ripped to shreds.  As a result Doc played his usual committed self most of the time but far too often panicked when the pressure was on giving away far too many fouls around the penalty area and not providing a true outlet for the defence.  Playing alongside him, Shacks seemed to sense the panic in Doc which then crept into his own game, particularly when he had too much time on his hands and thought about things too much - he was actually much better under pressure than Doc.  Prior to Doc''s permanent rooting at CB, as others on here commented, Shacks looked a likely prospect.  When Taylor was here on loan, Shacks also looked more confident than at any time since the Premier league season.  Only with his departure and Roeder''s mismanagement did his confidence desert him. 

I have mentioned on here many times that the CB that should have gone over the summer, subject to a suitable replacement being found, was Doc not Shacks.  I accept that there has been no more committed player than Doc this season.  If Gunn is truly injecting more confidence into the players by his approach of not jumping on them a la Roeder for every mistake made, then maybe Doc and Shacks can yet build a partnership with more confidence.  Here''s hoping.

[Or maybe Gunny was expecting the worse - the FA deciding the appeal was frivolous and increasing Doc''s ban to three games which with Davies not likely to be freed by Stoke until their injuries clear up, meant that Shacks was a very cheap replacement!  Given the decision on Doc maybe he wished he hadn''t now!]

Still best sale and leaseback property deal of recent times!  If only the real property deals could release that much cash!

OTBC

I''d say Shackell is probably the worst CB I''ve seen at Carrow Road. I''m no fan of Doc but he was made to look bad by Shack being pulled out of position again and again. Shack is brave and gives 100%, no complaints there, but reads the game like a 10 year old.Worst decision of the season to date. Shows what Wolves think of Shackell.

Given how ropey Wolves'' defence looks, it does clearly show how poorly McCarthy rates Shacks...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="CT the Jarrold king"]

We''re missing someone though....

[/quote]

Yes we are missing plenty. If we could keep going back until we got to October 2006 we could have :-

Gallacher

Colin Doherty Shackell Drury
Croft Safri Etuhu Huckerby

Dublin Earnshaw.
Subs: Camp Fleming Hughes Robinson Thorne

But we hated that so much we protested inside and outside the ground and hired out St Andrews Hall to get rid of the man who put that lot together in order to end up where we are now.[:|]

[/quote]

Nutty you are stirring the pot again.

Colin,Camp,Hughes,Robinson,Thorne. Legends in your eyes obviously.

Etuhu and Earnshaw.Aren''t they the ones who when they signed had get out clauses in case it went tits up?.

[/quote]

How can that be stirring the pot? Is every opinion that is different to yours stirring the pot? Have you moved on from Commander Tilson to Ayatolah Tilson?

And whilst Etuhu and Earnshaw had those clauses in their contracts can you be sure that they would have acted on them if they''d still been playing for the manager who signed them? Players like Huckerby, Dublin, Etuhu and Earnshaw were more than happy to play for Worthy but also more than happy to come out and publicly criticise subsequent managers.

My opinion on Worthy has never changed and well you know it. And at least we had legends at the club when he left. How many legends did your mate Granty sign?

[/quote]

Oh dear Nutty,yesterday i was moody according to you so may i be so bold as to say you appear to be a tad touchy today?Grant was my mate was he?I take it you base that on the fact i thought he would be a good manager.Fair enough i was wrong on that score but to be fair your love affair with Worthington is reaching stalking proportions.Get over him mate.

As you said recently you will post whatever you want on here so be prepared for those who don''t subscribe to your train of thought on the odd post.Ayatolah indeed,mirrors come to mind.

[/quote]

Here comes the mirror man and he''s a city fan....

I have no problem with posters who don''t subscribe to my train of thought just with those who believe that I only post my opinion to stir the pot or cause trouble.

Where are all the legends we have signed since Worthy went? The grass wasn''t really greener was it Tilly?

[/quote]

Well done Nutty you got to the last line of your post before your man Worthy got a mention.Blimey CA and her Hucks love affair pales into insignificance with your Worthy posts.

Your powers of hindsight are something to behold.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Well done Nutty you got to the last line of your post before your man Worthy got a mention.Blimey CA and her Hucks love affair pales into insignificance with your Worthy posts.

Your powers of hindsight are something to behold.

[/quote]As is your tremendous ability to deflect from the actual point at hand...

It''s not hindsight if the you don''t change your mind but then my dad always said you got moved back a year and still finished bottom[:O]

[quote user="JohnoBono"]

[/quote]Can we make any more loan signings?. Thought there was a maximum of 14 in season. Shacks may be a special " emergency return of sale loan " though, which may not count.

I think Pete needs to explore the possibility that the forum can provide some kind of room for Til1010 and Nutty, because those two just need to get together, find the man-love, and mellow the whole situation out, Blind-Date stylee...[;)]

Back to the original point of the thread, looking at Shackell objectively, he''s a decent Championship centre-half who has all the attributes to play at a higher level if he didn''t have all the concentration of a three year-old child, full of sugar whose been dropped off for the afternoon at Funky Monkeys.

Personally I''m surprised at the move but if he can come back, slightly more humble, having confirmed that the grass is no greener whilst training with Wolves'' reserves, and with a point to prove to himself as much as anyone, then he could be an astute signing. Butterworth is also the first defender we''ve had as a coach whilst Shack''s has been at the club (unless my memory decieves me), which may help as well.

All-in-all, not the worst signing Gunny could have made, and at least it''s Championship-experienced cover. Any other Championship club needing centre-half cover would be delighted to get Shacks on loan.

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

I think Pete needs to explore the possibility that the forum can provide some kind of room for Til1010 and Nutty, because those two just need to get together, find the man-love, and mellow the whole situation out, Blind-Date stylee...[;)]

Back to the original point of the thread, looking at Shackell objectively, he''s a decent Championship centre-half who has all the attributes to play at a higher level if he didn''t have all the concentration of a three year-old child, full of sugar whose been dropped off for the afternoon at Funky Monkeys.

Personally I''m surprised at the move but if he can come back, slightly more humble, having confirmed that the grass is no greener whilst training with Wolves'' reserves, and with a point to prove to himself as much as anyone, then he could be an astute signing. Butterworth is also the first defender we''ve had as a coach whilst Shack''s has been at the club (unless my memory decieves me), which may help as well.

All-in-all, not the worst signing Gunny could have made, and at least it''s Championship-experienced cover. Any other Championship club needing centre-half cover would be delighted to get Shacks on loan.

[/quote]

lol that did make me chuckle out loud.  Like a couple of women at times, but very amusing [:D]

[quote user="Canary02 III"]

[/quote]

Pete has already banished us to Room 101 or it it Til101 [:O] with the Hughie Curran thread.

We do sometimes get together but there''s no chance of it going any further because he''s waaayyyyy tooooooo old for me[;)]

I think its funny Shackell has come back on loan as me and my husband were only sayin the other day about the possibility of that happening and that it might not be such a bad thing! I dont see why everyone is being so negative about it, in my opinion he was a good player for us.Ok, he made some mistakes but dont all players? He obviously wants to be here and help us out of trouble so good on Gunny for bringing him back I say![:)]