Sign in to follow this  
corbs

Have you ever been beaten up at a football Match?

I used to work for the Norfolk Health Authority in the late 70''s, and one of my favourite ''work'' days was taking ''residents'' from the Care Home where I worked to Carrow Road on Saturdays. In 1978 I took 2 lads with Learning Disabilities to the River End (Terracing) against Man City. During the game I was dying for a pee so I told the lads to stay put whilst I nipped to the Lav. I was wearing a scarf. On coming out of the Toilet I bent down to tie my shoes laces. The next thing I knew boots were flying into me from all angles, and I took a kicking. The accents told me they were not local. The odd thing was I was not at all afraid of being hurt but I was desperate to get back to the lads in my care, so I ran away and back to the terraces. I could not find the two in my care, and I had to put a message on the Loud speaker, and they eventually turned up. I never said a word to my employers. Then there was the time at Orient (F.A Cup 3rd Round) when I took another kicking from the West Ham, but that''s for another day............... 

Err, not beaten up as such, but pushed and spat at:

Once at Portman Rd after a City victory.

Once at Carrow Road during the Chase out demo''s...............and that was from fellow City supporters!!.

cant say i have... for the most part i think those days are behind british Football.. theres a few isolated incidents now but as most grounds welcome Familys in england it is a safe place to be...

contrast that to the continent however...

jas :)

I once witnessed a young, black City fan come very close to getting a beating from about 7 racist Sheff.Utd youths outside the City stand after a game.  Luckily a few people "stepped in" and the little prats lost their bottle.......[;)]

Had coins thrown at me by a few twats at Walsall. Could not believe a few weeks back when some were on here defending there right to have a dust up.

Remembered being offered out by about 20 Pompey fans down riverside a few years back, luckily for them the police got there pretty quick.

Also even though not quite at a football match, i remember quite a few fights during 2006 world cup between what was the Lloyds bar and Norweigan Blue, hot weather and stella don''t mix, even though we were all england fans.

Couple of times - worst was at the Hungry Horse chippy on the A47 by Leeds scum.  Kicked the shit out of me and then smashed up my old man''s new car he had lent me.  Let''s hope they get stuffed in the play offs.

I have not personally but a girlfriend of mine got her leg broke when it kicked off against the scum at their gaff in a league cup tie in the 60s, ,I nearly got nicked defending her honour, needless to say she quickly became an ex but it were''nt all bad we won 4-2, hughie Curran Hatrick if i remember rightly [:D]

Off topic, but here in the states at baseball games, they have givaways... hat day, calendar day etc....  Needless to say they still have "bat day." Kids 12 and under are supposed to be the only people getting them.  Late 80''s the Yankees made the foolish mistake of putting Bat Day for a Red Sox game.  On one of the few days I''ve been ashamed of being a Yankee fan, I saw 4 Yankee fans beating the crap out of a Red Sox fan on the subway home.  They were all wasted and I knew better than to get involved versus 4 bats.  I did take about 15 photos which I forwarded to the police and the 4 were arrested the following week.  It made the news and they showed my photos on TV.

Not been beaten up but when queuing to get into the Jarrold stand against Palace earlier this season (when Strihavka scored the winner) some of their fans were throwing nasty insults at City fans and an old boy took exception and started pointing and telling them to grow up.

At this two young drunken louts started charging at him so me, my Dad and his ex-copper went in stood in front of him and they bottled it, ran back to their mates and to got a load of them to start walking our way but the cops pre-empted and gave them a rollocking.

Pathetic, trying to start on a group of what was largely kids, old folk and families. One of the best things about Carrow Road is that we don;t have to worry about this sort of ridiculous behaviour and we can be proud of that.

I''m lucky (Or unlucky enough) to work on inteligence with in the football world. The main lot of the hoolligans in their middle ages now have gone, but there is a new breed who want to fight like their relatives. They are not as big in number as before, but I would say it in the infancy stage. Each football club has deicated football ''spotters'' who identify potential and known troublemakers, their work is as busy as ever. Shame. Can''t stand going to a football match and having to worry about trouble.

Yes I was brutally ambushed by a gang of Norwich City fans after the Premier League encounter with Newcastle in April 2005 which we lost due to that late Ashton goal. I ended up in hospital for over a week, but completed a full recovery no thanks to some young Norfolk yobs who were completely drunk at the time and set upon me and my mate just for wearing a Newcastle shirt.

[quote user="Hughesy"]Yes I was brutally ambushed by a gang of Norwich City fans after the Premier League encounter with Newcastle in April 2005 which we lost due to that late Ashton goal. I ended up in hospital for over a week, but completed a full recovery no thanks to some young Norfolk yobs who were completely drunk at the time and set upon me and my mate just for wearing a Newcastle shirt.[/quote]

IF (and a big IF) tats true then im sorry to hear it...

if its not ture and ur ona  windup then go and play on the central lane of the M1.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Hughesy"]Yes I was brutally ambushed by a gang of Norwich City fans after the Premier League encounter with Newcastle in April 2005 which we lost due to that late Ashton goal. I ended up in hospital for over a week, but completed a full recovery no thanks to some young Norfolk yobs who were completely drunk at the time and set upon me and my mate just for wearing a Newcastle shirt.[/quote]

IF (and a big IF) tats true then im sorry to hear it...

if its not ture and ur ona  windup then go and play on the central lane of the M1.

[/quote]

I am afraid it is true I would not make up something like that

Corb, funny you should mention Orient. I remember going to that cup game and for some reason (can''t remember so long ago) I had some tickets in the City Stand. We were okay until some Orient fans turned up and were abusive with everyone, including me. They threatened to beat me and my brother up, but relented I think due to our ages and because they were a bit the worse for wear.

To think I used to walk through the masses of fans like Leeds, Man U, Chelsea etc, etc in the 70s and nothing, then Orient in a home stand.

Then there is the wonderful Molineux, too many incidents there to mention.

Never actually been beaten up at a football match - although I''ve been frequently mugged for my season-ticket dosh - over the last few seasons.

A few close scrapes, in the bad old days of the 80''s, but the absolute most terrifying occasion bizzarely enough was a pre-season "friendly" against Cambridge Utd away. Went by car and two of us got seperated from the others after, then got ambushed. No exageration there were minimum 30 Camb Utd fans, mostly skinheads chasing us over the bridge near the station, just in time for us to see the train to Norwich pull out. I swear they were close enough to hear their breathing! I was running with a lad who used to run for Suffolk schoolboys and I was keeping up with him in sheer terror. As luck would have it a police van was coming the other way and I ran out in the mddle of the road and just stood there with arms raised. I thought I''m gonna get killed here, might as well get run over as beaten to death. The copper stopped and let us in the van, and thought it was a huge joke. Lift to the station through the jeering mob followed, to find luckily enough another train waiting to go to the Fine City. Still had time to be stranded for a couple of hours in ELy as some wag decided to pull the emergency cord on the way back and the driver refused to continue until anyone that looked vaguely like a football fan was chucked off. A few months later a major police operation nicked a load of football hooligans in ....Cambridge.

As a youngster of 14 walking on my own to the ground, I set upon by about eight useless Geordie fans whilst walking along the old Riverside Road. It was pathetic on their part as I was not a threat and stood no chance. Thankfully one of them said I had had enough whilst laying on the floor being kicked from all angles.  I have hated Newcaslte ever since and are they are nearly on a par with Ipsick and Scumcester United. I hope they continue to win naff all as they have managed to do (Major domestic trophy) since 1958 - Nice.

Now those Geordie fans are the salt of the earth you know. Best fans in the world......... [*-)]

Another endearing trait they have managed to carry into the 21st century is spitting. Yes those passionate geordies still like to cover opposing fans in their saliva as I found out to my cost at SpiT James''s in 2004.

50 years of hurt[8] and long may it continue [Y]

Go to alot of QPR games with mates who are fans.....got a kicking from Pompey fans about 10 years ago when the stadium had a riot!!

Then few months ago got bottled by a Chelsea fan whilst running down the Kings Road after Rangers vs Chelsea cup game!!

took some given some.worst taken- spurs away we won 3-1 fleck got 2 i believe. best given- scum away boxing day,my mate so p****d he stood for entire 90 mins barefoot! temp -1.

[quote user="corbs"]

I used to work for the Norfolk Health Authority in the late 70''s, and one of my favourite ''work'' days was taking ''residents'' from the Care Home where I worked to Carrow Road on Saturdays. In 1978 I took 2 lads with Learning Disabilities to the River End (Terracing) against Man City. During the game I was dying for a pee so I told the lads to stay put whilst I nipped to the Lav. I was wearing a scarf. On coming out of the Toilet I bent down to tie my shoes laces. The next thing I knew boots were flying into me from all angles, and I took a kicking. The accents told me they were not local. The odd thing was I was not at all afraid of being hurt but I was desperate to get back to the lads in my care, so I ran away and back to the terraces. I could not find the two in my care, and I had to put a message on the Loud speaker, and they eventually turned up. I never said a word to my employers. Then there was the time at Orient (F.A Cup 3rd Round) when I took another kicking from the West Ham, but that''s for another day............... 

[/quote]

You haven''t by any chance got one of ''those'' faces or ginger hair have you? ;)

even home games were away games for me so its no supprise that i had many angry encounters while travelling from liverpool street to paddington mainly. The worst that i saw was a norwich fan being kicked to the ground by chelsea wankers and losing his fingers after the blakey clad doc martins stamped on his hands! worst beatings that i got were at Cardiff, Watford, and of course Millwall where the only thing that saved my life was that i hadn''t eaten any of the shite "Westler boiled burgers" that were on the menu at the Den so i managed to out run them and survive with my bollocks still intact. The seventies were very cultured..Lol