Sign in to follow this  
norwich flag

retire hucks shirt as a matter of honer

anyone with me that the club should retire the no 6 shirt

as a tribute to hucks it would go someway of showing how

much he means to the fans and i think the fans would find something in that?

i dout we could find someone with the honer and commitment he has showen

to this club long live the hucks

[quote user="norwich flag"]

[/quote]

dot be daft , thats going way over the top .

Honer? Is he one of The Simpsons?The whole thing has been badly dealt with but retiring the shirt is a bit drastic. Let''s just move on shall we.

Oh for goodness sake. Why can''t some of you just come to terms with his departure sensibly. Yes its crap the way the club handled it but to retire number 6 and I see on another thread have a protest... its just getting silly now!

[quote user="WeWantWorthyBack"]you must be joking. It comparison to some players in Norwich history, Huckerby is nowhere near legendary status![/quote]

i respectfully DISAGREE [:@]

Martin Peters, Steve Bruce, Fash, Fox, Alcock, Keelan, Sutton, Iwan...........

Hucks was good and certainly one of the best in recent years but to retire a shirt!?  I don''t think so!

well we should have retired, Roberts shirt, flecks, goss, all the other great players as well, unless they have really been very loayland wonderfull (like maldinin at milan) then it is not necisary, a decent player (one of are best for a while i must admit) his number should not be retiredend of

to be honest i wouldn''t be against retiring it...but then i''m not old enough to remember or appreciate some of the older players we once had.

No! fair play, quality player, legend, love him as a player! but there''s no way he deserves to retire the number 6 shirt. Think of all the other legends who have been here, and been here longer over the years!

Next we''ll be calling for a giant 60'' statute of Huckerby to replace the hotel, made entirely of gold, diamonds and emeralds of the finest quality.

[quote user="Polar"]to be honest i wouldn''t be against retiring it...

but then i''m not old enough to remember or appreciate some of the older players we once had.
[/quote]

Well I am most certainly old enough to have seen all those mentioned and I would rate Huckerby higher than all except Martin Peters and Kevin Keelan in legendary status.

[quote user="WeWantWorthyBack"]you must be joking. It comparison to some players in Norwich history, Huckerby is nowhere near legendary status![/quote]

Retire  the shirt? No way, but, Huckerby was 50% of the reason we made it to the prem, so I  think legendary status is not in question.

Hucks is a TRUE legend of Carrow Road

Hucks is an okay championship player. Is Best coming off the bench. He isn''t a legend. He''s nowhere near the likes of Gunn, Iwan, Fleck never the  most talented but they were true team players unlike huckerby. As for half of getting us to the prem you must be joking, that year he played well but we still had a squad load of players who played for Norwich not Darren Huckerby.

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="Polar"]to be honest i wouldn''t be against retiring it...

but then i''m not old enough to remember or appreciate some of the older players we once had.
[/quote]

Well I am most certainly old enough to have seen all those mentioned and I would rate Huckerby higher than all except Martin Peters and Kevin Keelan in legendary status.

[/quote]

I agree with that Ricardo. But I also think out of those three, all things considered, Kevin Keelan is THE MAN!

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]Hucks is an okay championship player. Is Best coming off the bench. He isn''t a legend. He''s nowhere near the likes of Gunn, Iwan, Fleck never the  most talented but they were true team players unlike huckerby. As for half of getting us to the prem you must be joking, that year he played well but we still had a squad load of players who played for Norwich not Darren Huckerby.[/quote]There''s so much wrong with that post it''s unbelievable

If we retire shirts for players who have been here for a good years and, admittingly, are very good players we would run out of numbers to have on shirts!! In a few years every number would be over 100!!! Just think how much more that will cost the club on printing costs!!!!!!

[/quote]

had this Debate with Andy Cullen at the open day just after Iwan Left... they dont retire shirts.. purely because they can make more money from having a name on the back of a shirt from the fans....

thats the basic gist of it

jas :)

well its an american football  idea,but their squad numbers run into the hundreds and not all are utilised in a season anyhow.

years ago I remember seeing a program about all the great players that had worn the Man utd number 10 shirt,and the over-riding impression it left was the importance of tradition and legacy.

[quote user=" Desi Rascall"]

well its an american football  idea,but their squad numbers run into the hundreds and not all are utilised in a season anyhow.

years ago I remember seeing a program about all the great players that had worn the Man utd number 10 shirt,and the over-riding impression it left was the importance of tradition and legacy.

[/quote]

And that''s such a good point Desi. How many youngsters would have dreamed of wearing Denis Laws number 10 shirt for real when they are older. And how many City youngsters dream of running out at Carrow Road in years to come wearing Huckerby''s number 6.

Never destroy the dream.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user=" Desi Rascall"]

[/quote]

And that''s such a good point Desi. How many youngsters would have dreamed of wearing Denis Laws number 10 shirt for real when they are older. And how many City youngsters dream of running out at Carrow Road in years to come wearing Huckerby''s number 6.

Never destroy the dream.

[/quote]The vast majority of retired shirt numbers in world football are for players who have died while occupying that shirt/squad number. Otherwise you''re looking at players who have spent their entire career at a club. To retire Huckerby''s shirt would be absurd.

[/quote]Oh my god, I''m dissapointed he''s gone but this is way over the top.. he didn''t exactly win us the champions league. He was a good player and did what he was here to do.

There is no way that he deserves to have his shirt retired - he was here for 4 years - the number of games he was playing was dropping season by season , he was the highest paid player and as such when cuts are made you look at somebody who best days are probably behind him but who earns loads

I think it is far better that he leaves as a hero now , rather than in a year or so as a diminished player

I am never in favour of retiring shirt numbers for anyone , Goss had 1 good season out of 10 years at the club , Huckerby is not better than Peters , Crook etc - even Eadie was called up for England , Huckerby wasn''t

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]sorry about spelling there people
[/quote] Very honerable (honourable) of you to apologise for your bad spelling.