Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Next Season - Hopes and Expectations

With the season now drawing to a disappointing conclusion, hopes and expectations are already rife for next season. Roeder will be given the money to do his thing, how much money – with our useless board this could be anyones guess? There are a few things I would like to see realised before the new season commences. I’ll name a couple to kick things off –

1. Sign Bertrand, Camara and Taylor no matter the cost.

2. Offload Shackell (liability), Marshall (I rate him but with a price tag of £2m floating about we would be crazy not to and I really rate Gilks), Fotheringham, Martin, Ryan Jarvis (all good but not good enough). I could name more but these boys are the only ones that are worth any money.

I am aware that these players need to be replaced. Realistically, we need to bring in at least 15 new faces if we are to be equipped for next season. Heavy investment in the loan market next season me thinks. Please no pre-pubescents this time though Glenn.

The fact that you think we can rebuild without Fozzy means your knowledge of championship football is poor. If you look at good  teams mid-field pairings you will find a player like Fozzy keeping things running. We need him.

Also have you seen Gilks play? I havent - i am curious. For his age though Marshall is excellent.

I have seen Gilks play actually. Believe it or not he played wk in wk out at Rochdale before he came here.

My knowledge of Championship football is poor? I think not. We need midfielders who is going to chip in with at least 10 goals a season. Even if Fozzy trebled his goal tally next season it would be nowhere near good enough. Correct me if Im wrong but he has scored one goal this season. One mesesly pathetic goal. A pathetic total. Russel isnt much better with three but at least he attacks. If he was so successful at keeping things running we would be scoring more goals from midfield. Our midfield has scored five goals all season. Embarrasing if you ask me. No wonder there is so much pressure on our strikers.

Fozzy and Ryan Jarvis are out of contract in the summer so how could we make money on them when they can leave for nothing

Did you go and watch Rochdale every week? how do you know how good Gilks is? What league are Rochdale in, do you think there is no difference?

if we stay up then a massive overhaul of the squad is needed to push safely towards mid table by Xmas... lets not talk about the playoffs.. theres still alot of rubbish and not enough finances to take us up.

Aim for 12th place by Xmas and anything else is a bonus.. it will be a "slow build" for Glenn and Co.

If we go down then i think the likes of Rossi Jarvis, Matty Gilks and Michael Spillane could become 1st team regulars.... a large number of players would be moved on.. more due to cost cutting... We couldnt afford the wages...

im not privy to who the high earners are.. Hucks and Dion i expect... but the likelihood is they will be off anyway... i also think Marhsall is on a fair whack so could be off, same with the Doc.

Id bring back Simon Lappin too as in league 1 i think he could a job...

We''d need to spend.. theres footballing sides in league 1 but also sides, such as Carlisle, who kick u in the air.. and we''d need ungainly plodders who can do the same, act as "minders" for the more flair players....

jas :)

I completely agree with th poor goal tally but a rebuilding exercise cannot be done by shipping out every body.

Fozzy is our captain andlinks up play between defence and midfield very well. Also a lot of what he does goes unoticed beacuse it is in this 30% of the park. We do need more goals though. I agree with Roeder getting rid of Croft due to no goals. He is not good enough. He should have played hucks on the right with betrand on the left.

I think we can all see some of our players be them real city players or loaners here for the ride are just not good enough maybe even to keep us in this league next season. But what happens to the FOOTBALL club next season will all depend on how interested this board is in "on the pitch" investments come the summer?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

I have seen Gilks play actually. Believe it or not he played wk in wk out at Rochdale before he came here.

My knowledge of Championship football is poor? I think not. We need midfielders who is going to chip in with at least 10 goals a season. Even if Fozzy trebled his goal tally next season it would be nowhere near good enough. Correct me if Im wrong but he has scored one goal this season. One mesesly pathetic goal. A pathetic total. Russel isnt much better with three but at least he attacks. If he was so successful at keeping things running we would be scoring more goals from midfield. Our midfield has scored five goals all season. Embarrasing if you ask me. No wonder there is so much pressure on our strikers.

wow rochdale when was the last time they played in the championship i agree the money would be good if we sold marshall but a 3rd tier goalkeeper to replace him is not good enough midfielders dont always have to score goals they create stop opponants attacks which fotheringham does well take a look at makelele for example when was the last time he scored a goal or flamini for arsenal im not saying fotheringham is the same class as them two but midfielders are not there to score goals they have other qualties as wel

there is pressure on strikers to score plenty of goals every season because that is what they are paid to do, like a defender is paid to defend

im not critising your comment but i think you should think before you type

roeder has got a massive task this summer clearing out the rubbish and bringing in new players i do beleive if he gets the money from our tight fisted board then for once norwich will be a potential top six championship team again  

lets look forward to the future hey

xxx

[quote user="skins89"]

midfielders dont always have to score goals

[/quote]

Sorry but I strongly disagree with you. Midfielders, be that attacking or defensive, need to contribute with goals. Etuhu and Safri both did. I think it is you who has to think before you type.

Fozzy is useless mate!  He cant pass a ball to save his life, and he does nothing all game apart from shout!

Besides that though, if we stay up we have to try not to slip down too soon and try and get  mid table half way through then we start pushing for play offs.

If we go down we just have to buy players to get us straight back up.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="skins89"]

[/quote]

Sorry but I strongly disagree with you. Midfielders, be that attacking or defensive, need to contribute with goals. Etuhu and Safri both did. I think it is you who has to think before you type.

[/quote]

Eh? Etuhu and Safri never scored for us. Safri scored 3 in 83 games, Etuhu scored 6 in 54.

My reply to the man who said we should sell Fozzy- the men in white coats will be round shortly. Strong takler, good passer, it''s no coincidence that our season turned around when he recovered from injury. It''s also no coincidence that we were over-ran in midefield saturday, when Fozzy was absent.

Safri scored goals!?!?!

I must not have been looking when those imaginery goals went in.. correct me if Im wrong, he scored 3 for us, thats IT!

Fotheringham certainly has a long way to go to catch up to that hefty goalscoring feat... I mean he has to get a whole ONE!

The main thing we''re missing is a strong, aggressive striker that can really stick the chances away.. hate to say it but if you look at Haynes'' goal against us, I can see any of our strikers sticking it home like that

Cureton would shoot too high, Dion would be about 5 feet off the pace due to age and Ched usually waits untill everyone stops concentrating and hits it very hard...

New Strikers, pronto

[quote user="Making Plans"]Automatic Promotion from League 1[/quote]

I hope you are wrong

But if we go down then I hope you are right.

We wont be selling Fozzy for one reason and that is hes worth nothing , there was hardly a long line of clubs waiting to take him on when he was without a club and i cannot imagine many would be wanting to spend good money on such an average footballer.Theres so much dross in this City side its hard to think of 2 players worth keeping.As for next season , well we all know this Board will spend diddley squat so it will be another season much like this expect another load of loanees shipped in to try to keep us up.

My hope is that Doncaster doesn''t do to Roeder what he did to Grant and sell off the better players just as preseason is about to start leaving the manager to scrape round at the last minute to get replacements. I dont hold with the spend big theory players are out there that could do an excellent job without costing the earth its down to scouting and knowing who you want.

As it would seem that we are going to need several players in I would hope they are already lined up so they can start preseason with the new players rather than huff and puff looking around only to join on or after the start of the season.

I think we really need to be realistic next season, at the start of this season there was far too much talk about makeing the playoffs, despite the fact that we have just lost our three best players and the fact that we knew very little about our new signings.

Roeder will have to take a few chances on some of the more "unknown" players in the summer due to out financial situation. I agree with the other poster though who said we should sell Marshall, if another club is prepared to offer 2million + then we can''t afford to turn that down despite how fantastic he has been for us this season. Next season is where Roeder''s management skills will truely be put to the test, it really could go either way.

I like the rest of you want to see Norwich back in the Premiership ASAP, but in reality a midtable or top half finish next season would be very pleaseing given how poor we have been in the last three seasons.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]

And why does Russell attack?  Because by Fozzy sitting it allows Rusty to get forward! Bloody obvious aint it!

[quote user="skins89"]

wow rochdale when was the last time they played in the championship i agree the money would be good if we sold marshall but a 3rd tier goalkeeper to replace him is not good enough midfielders dont always have to score goals they create stop opponants attacks which fotheringham does well take a look at makelele for example when was the last time he scored a goal or flamini for arsenal im not saying fotheringham is the same class as them two but midfielders are not there to score goals they have other qualties as wel

there is pressure on strikers to score plenty of goals every season because that is what they are paid to do, like a defender is paid to defend

im not critising your comment but i think you should think before you type

roeder has got a massive task this summer clearing out the rubbish and bringing in new players i do beleive if he gets the money from our tight fisted board then for once norwich will be a potential top six championship team again  

lets look forward to the future hey

xxx

[/quote]

Cannot comment on the rest of that but I have seen Matty Gilks him play on numerous occasions.  He is an outstanding young goalkeeper, particularly noted for commanding his area and terrifying his defenders which is why he is/was known as Matt the Mouth.

While it is true he has only played in League Two there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he could step up to the Championship and probably in some style.  I would point out that he was watched by a number of Premier League (not just Championship teams) over his previous two seasons and a number of good offers were made.  He declined to move from Rochdale (he''s a local lad and still goes back there) until his contract expired last Summer.

He turned down Bolton Wanderers to join Norwich.  It was your second approach - the first was made by Nigel Worthington. 

If  Mr Marshall is your first choice next season Matty Gilks will be off.  He cannot afford to ruin his career chances as he has this year.  In my opinion, there will be no shortage of takers and I suspect some may be higher than the Championship League.

This is the first season for three or four years when Matty has not played every game for his club.  I don''t think you will find he is going to make the same mistake again.  Albeit at a lower level he has actually played more games in competitive matches than your first choice keeper. 

At least two Championship clubs came in for him this season for a loan both of which the club refused. understandably no doubt.   One of them is only marginally below you. Unless you are going to sell your current keeper the lad MUST move.

I don''t think Premier League clubs watch a player and make a definite offer unless they are fairly confident that the player can, as they say, step up to the plate. 

Caveat: through a friend I know Matty Gilks and I am desperately sorry that his career has unfortunately temporarily hit the buffers.  I believe he is a quality keeper and one of the best I have seen in recent years in the old fashioned skill of "organising" and "warning" his defence.  I believe that is a massive asset to any club, regardless of which Division you are in.

His current predicament is not the fault of anyone - it''s just football.  But he cannot afford another season like this one.

I''m not his agent in case you think I am!  If I had been there would have been a transfer request put in by Christmas.  I believe that Matty has the ability to make a name for himself at a reasonably high level in this game and I would like to see him given the chance to do so.  If Norwich cannot give him the opportunity to do that I sincerely hope that some other club can.

He deserves far better than bench warming and the Snow White Reserve League and my strong bet is that he has no intention of doing it for two seasons running.

It is my opinion that this is a lad with a career ahead of him NOT behind him!

Build off this the remains of this season and we''ll get - 11th in the Championship. Season after that - 5th. Lose in Playoff-Semi''s to Carlisle.Season after that - 1st. Win by 7 points over second placed Crystal Palace.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="skins89"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Think you''ve just proved you dont know anything about Championship football - Safri scored 3 for us in three full seasons so he didnt even match Fozzy, and Etuhu did only marginally better.

Still, dont let the facts cloud your misconceptions.

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="Making Plans"]Automatic Promotion from League 1[/quote]

I hope you are wrong

But if we go down then I hope you are right.

[/quote]

Well Ricardo, if we do get relegated it will be more of a hope than an expectation. Forest are still there 3 seasons after relegation and the mighty Manchester City only got back through the play offs on penalty kicks. I''d have no more expectation of automatic promotion from League One than I would the Championship.

Eh? Etuhu and Safri never scored for us. Safri scored 3 in 83 games, Etuhu scored 6 in 54.

I don''t think I have ever used the word "pwn3d" before until now......

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

With the season now drawing to a disappointing conclusion, hopes and expectations are already rife for next season. Roeder will be given the money to do his thing, how much money – with our useless board this could be anyones guess? There are a few things I would like to see realised before the new season commences. I’ll name a couple to kick things off –

2. Offload Shackell (liability), Marshall (I rate him but with a price tag of £2m floating about we would be crazy not to and I really rate Gilks), Fotheringham, Martin, Ryan Jarvis (all good but not good enough). I could name more but these boys are the only ones that are worth any money.

I am aware that these players need to be replaced. Realistically, we need to bring in at least 15 new faces if we are to be equipped for next season. Heavy investment in the loan market next season me thinks. Please no pre-pubescents this time though Glenn.

[/quote]I''m glad you''re not in charge. You''d sign Bertrand and Camara no matter what the cost? Really? Bertrand I agree with, he''s awesome, and no matter what we pay for him we''ll get more when we sell him on. But if we sign him, we have absolutely no need for Camara, who''s too old and, just in case you haven''t noticed, a bit rubbish. Nowhere near as good as Drury. Getting rid of Marshall would be ridiculous. We need to get rid of our bad players, not our good ones.Putting Fotheringham in the same category as Martin and Ryan Jarvis is laughable. When Fozzy and Russell play together in midfield, we look good. When they don''t, we struggle.  It''s almost as simple as that.You expect our midfielders to score ten goals a season each? Have you looked at the leading scorers list for the Championship. Almost no one has scored more than 14, and they''re strikers. I think Russell should be disappointed with his tally, because he''s a box-to-box midfielder who should be looking for 6 or 7 a season. but Fozzy plays deeper, getting the ball and moving it on. If you can''t see what he adds to the team, your season ticket and username on this forum should be revoked."Realistically we need to bring in 15 new faces" Realistically! There''s no chance of us signing that many. What we need to do is keep the solid Championship players we have, and add to the squad so that it gets better. If we get rid of everyone, realistically we''ll have to sign a lot of average players, which is what got us to this level in the first place.No pre-pubescents? I suppose you''re thinking of Gibbs? But Pearce, Evans and Bertrand are all young and have all been a success. I would rather have young, hungry players who will play in the Premier League in the future (hopefully with Norwich), than 20-somethings who are never going to reach that level (Hughes, Thorne, Brown, the list goes on).Keep: Marshall, Drury, Semmy, Doc, Shackell, Russell, Fozzy, Pattison, Spillane, Hucks (if he can maintain this latest level of fitness).Sign: Pearce and/or Taylor (I''ve been really impressed by Pearce every time I''ve seen him, but in a couple of games I''ve missed (Blackpool, ipswich), he''s supposed to have had a shocker. Evans and Bertrand (season-long loans, I can''t believe we could sign them permanently, but would love it, love it if we did). Also need a midfielder to provide proper competition for Russell and Fozzy, and at least one and probably two strikers.Undecided: Croft, Cureton. Would let them go if replacements were an improvement.Get rid: both Jarvises, Martin, Lappin.I''ve probably left a few people out, but there we are. I''m assuming we''re going to stay up, but I don''t know why.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="skins89"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Think you''ve just proved you dont know anything about Championship football - Safri scored 3 for us in three full seasons so he didnt even match Fozzy, and Etuhu did only marginally better.

Still, dont let the facts cloud your misconceptions.

[/quote]

Must admit I didnt research these figures (Im not that sad) and I was wrong about Safri. More than happy to admit this. He seemed to have scored many more but ho hum - Maybe he was prolific in cup comps?? Etuhu achieved an average of one in nine (also surprised by this) but this scoring ratio (4/5 a season) would single handedly match our entire midfield goal contribution effort this season! Realistically you would want midfield to contribute 16 goals a season. Thats 4 goal per player, not a massive ask. We need more goals from midfield, plain and simple.

Maybe I am laying too much blame on Fotheringham here. Maybe it is the entire midfield that needs rebuilding. With Chadwick back hopefully he can pick up his goals tally next season but apart from him we are desperate.

Two free scoring midfileders please Mr Roeder.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"][quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[/quote]

I''m glad you''re not in charge.

You''d sign Bertrand and Camara no matter what the cost? Really? Bertrand I agree with, he''s awesome, and no matter what we pay for him we''ll get more when we sell him on. But if we sign him, we have absolutely no need for Camara, who''s too old and, just in case you haven''t noticed, a bit rubbish. Nowhere near as good as Drury.

By whatever the cost, I mean within reason. Camara has been one of the better performers this season and he would prob be avaliable extremely cheap. Good cover for Drury.

Getting rid of Marshall would be ridiculous. We need to get rid of our bad players, not our good ones.

Would it? A potential £2.5m injection into the transfer kitty would come in handy. Also - Gilks would do an equal if not a better job. Next season we need depth in squad. Trust me, the only way we will achieve this is to sell Marshall because I know how our board operates.

Putting Fotheringham in the same category as Martin and Ryan Jarvis is laughable. When Fozzy and Russell play together in midfield, we look good. When they don''t, we struggle.  It''s almost as simple as that.

Didnt put him in the same catergory but still believe he doesnt have what it takes to move this club forward.

You expect our midfielders to score ten goals a season each? Have you looked at the leading scorers list for the Championship. Almost no one has scored more than 14, and they''re strikers. I think Russell should be disappointed with his tally, because he''s a box-to-box midfielder who should be looking for 6 or 7 a season. but Fozzy plays deeper, getting the ball and moving it on. If you can''t see what he adds to the team, your season ticket and username on this forum should be revoked.

No - I expect our midfielders to contribute 16 goals a season between them. Fotheringham adds an engine, I will give him that, but that is all.

"Realistically we need to bring in 15 new faces" Realistically! There''s no chance of us signing that many. What we need to do is keep the solid Championship players we have, and add to the squad so that it gets better. If we get rid of everyone, realistically we''ll have to sign a lot of average players, which is what got us to this level in the first place.

Realistically we do need 15 new faces. Stoke have 29 club players they can call their own, West Brom 26 and Bristol City 30.  These three teams currently top the Championship. Norwich have 24. 22 When Huckerby and Dulin depart at the end of the season. This 22 include Jarvis x 2, Halliday, Cave Brown, Bexfield, Eagle, Spillane, Daley and Renton. Sorry but I for one dont want want to see these guys playing 1st team regular football next season. That leaves 13 potential players to choose from. I think an extra 15 would be spot on. Obviously we wont sign 15 players permanently. Though I would like to see at least 7 permanent signings and 8 good season loan loans (to include Evans and Bertrand - Sadly cant see this happening).

No pre-pubescents? I suppose you''re thinking of Gibbs? But Pearce, Evans and Bertrand are all young and have all been a success. I would rather have young, hungry players who will play in the Premier League in the future (hopefully with Norwich), than 20-somethings who are never going to reach that level (Hughes, Thorne, Brown, the list goes on).

I dont rate Gibbs and I dont particularly rate Pierce. I rate Bertrand and I rate Taylor.

Keep: Marshall, Drury, Semmy, Doc, Shackell, Russell, Fozzy, Pattison, Spillane, Hucks (if he can maintain this latest level of fitness).

Sign: Pearce and/or Taylor (I''ve been really impressed by Pearce every time I''ve seen him, but in a couple of games I''ve missed (Blackpool, ipswich), he''s supposed to have had a shocker. Evans and Bertrand (season-long loans, I can''t believe we could sign them permanently, but would love it, love it if we did). Also need a midfielder to provide proper competition for Russell and Fozzy, and at least one and probably two strikers.

Undecided: Croft, Cureton. Would let them go if replacements were an improvement.

Get rid: both Jarvises, Martin, Lappin.

I''ve probably left a few people out, but there we are. I''m assuming we''re going to stay up, but I don''t know why.

[/quote]

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]We wont be selling Fozzy for one reason and that is hes worth nothing , there was hardly a long line of clubs waiting to take him on when he was without a club and i cannot imagine many would be wanting to spend good money on such an average footballer.Theres so much dross in this City side its hard to think of 2 players worth keeping.As for next season , well we all know this Board will spend diddley squat so it will be another season much like this expect another load of loanees shipped in to try to keep us up.[/quote]

If the board spends ''diddley squat'' this summer then we must be a good bet for relegation next season assuming we stay up this time and thats not guaranteed!

we will be one of the favourites for relegation....just becasue of this season. Need about 6-7 permanent signings. Taylor, brantrand, pearce, earnshaw,etc etc and we can have 5 loans in the squad so maybe 6-7 loans..... Thats 12-13 new players...

Marshall

semy/new----- Taylor(i think we''ve missed the boat on that one)/new-----shackell/Doc------bretrand/drury

Croft/new-----fozzy/new----russell----new/new

Crueton/earnshaw evans/new (target man)

subs-Gilks 

new

new

new

new

so gonna cost around 8-9million........so another relegation battle it is then!!!!

My Hopes and Expectations for next season are that we start the season in the Championship and not League1.  I think the main squad is good enough for the Championship but we need to add strength and deepth. I would like to see us keep Bertrand and Evans on season long loan or perm ideally, we need a new centre back like Taylor, a left sided midfielder, an attacking centre mid who will score goals, a big strong cart horse of a striker who will bag goals and another striker to be in and around the box in the right place at the right time to poach the goals.  Plus others to fill out the squad including 1 or 2 good old experienced pros from the premership to take over from Dion and Hucks.  I will be looking for us to finish in the top half of the table as a minimum and hopefully pushing for the playoffs.  I will be very disappointed to see Marshall go as other are suggesting on here, i think he is probably the best keeper in the Championship and we must keep him (good teams don''t sell ther best players), i would also be disappointed to see fozzy go because while he doesn''t score enough goals he is a solid championship player for the short term.  I''m hoping that the board has seen enough in Roeder to give him some money to spend even though i don''t believe we need huge money to succeed in this division as Bristol City have proven.