Sign in to follow this  
Tookie140

Magilton angry at Nugent silence

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/i/ipswich_town/7278467.stm

Ipswich manager Jim Magilton has criticised Portsmouth''s David Nugent after failing to sign him on loan.

Magilton got fed up of waiting for the striker, 22, to return his calls.

"Portsmouth have been very good about this but we''ve spoken to the player and we haven''t had a response," Magilton told BBC Radio Suffolk.

"So David Nugent can go and play for whoever he wants now. The very least we deserve is a phone call or something to suggest he''s not available."

The Ipswich boss is critical of top-flight players who seem content to stay on the fringes of their parent clubs rather than drop down a division to play first-team football.

"Premier League players who are not in their squads seem to choose the option of not coming out and playing," he added.

"I was at a Premier League club and my self-satisfaction was zero if I wasn''t playing on a Saturday but the game has moved on and these lads seem quite happy to pick up their money and sit there and not play."

Magilton says he is now looking at other options and would not rule out an approach for Fulham and Northern Ireland striker David Healy.

Couldn''t you have added this to the existing Nugent thread further down the page?

"So David Nugent can go and play for whoever he wants now"

Cheers Jim - I think that was true before and *as* he ignored you!

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"]He did the same thing to Roeder in January I hear. And Wolves.
[/quote]

Is this the infamous player Roeder had a go at down the phone for not wanting first-team football? Cant remember if that was ever revealed..

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

[quote user="I beat Atalanta"]He did the same thing to Roeder in January I hear. And Wolves.
[/quote]

Is this the infamous player Roeder had a go at down the phone for not wanting first-team football? Cant remember if that was ever revealed..

[/quote]

...if it is (and there were rumours that we might be after Nugent at the time), it would rather put all those "this shows that the binners have more ambition than us" threads somewhat into the shade!

According to a Rep from Ipswich who was in today his actual words were ''bo****ks to him'', on live radio.  Quality.

Cant help liking Magilton if for no other reason that his frank honesty.  Shame he is a binner...

[quote user="cityangel"]

Couldn''t you have added this to the existing Nugent thread further down the page?

[/quote]

Blimey, City Angel, you''re so bossy. You remind me of of my wife...... but I like you.

Doesn''t really surprise me, ever since he got that place in the England setup and started getting a couple of Premiership clubs show serious interest in him he''s looked like he loves himself too much.

Tell you what, Lita signing for Charlton was a very good buy, although only for a month, he is the sort of player that will get you promoted. He must have a serious attitude problem at Reading if he can not get in there team. I think that Nugent will go to Stoke or maybe even Ipswich, whichever one he goes to, like Lita, he is the sort of player who gets teams promoted.

[quote user="canaries in Bed"]

Tell you what, Lita signing for Charlton was a very good buy, although only for a month, he is the sort of player that will get you promoted. He must have a serious attitude problem at Reading if he can not get in there team. I think that Nugent will go to Stoke or maybe even Ipswich, whichever one he goes to, like Lita, he is the sort of player who gets teams promoted.

[/quote]"Lita was injured on the eve of the new campaign when he hurt his leg while stretching in bed."From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/7278982.stmThat is the lamest cover up story I have ever heard! "Stretching" in bed eh? [:P] Must have been really exerting himself!! [H]

Decent player at this level that Lita.

Ipswich may be lucky not to have got Nugent.  Considering the sums of money involved the player seems to have a proper attitude problem.  Is it any surprise Harry seemed to want to sell within a couple of weeks of signing him for an inflated 4.5 million rising to 6 million [:S]. 

A player who doesnt care if he plays....  says a lot about football these days.

People are so quick to criticise players who arent willing to go out on loan.

1) If someone said you HAD to move to another part of the country, would you be pleased? No. Footballers are people, they all have lives that may mean moving is completely impossible, or totally unacceptable.

2) Even if they are warming the bench or in the reserves, they ae still training with and surrounded by players of Premiership quality. Its a well known fact that to improve your skills at anything, you need to be with those who are better than you. It''s called "learning from copying" and it''s how you can all walk to the ground, talk to your mates, etc.

3) It often looks better for a player''s record to show that they fought back from the sidelines in a team, back into the first team picture, rather than "running away" and dropping down a level. If a player performs while on loan, this is always tempered by the fact it was a lower level; doesnt prove anything about their ability to play in the Prem again.

4) Often loan moves are preludes to a permanent move; many loanees stay out on loan unless they are youngsters that are sent out to develop their immature game (i.e. most of our current loanees.) Accepting a loan move could be perceived by a manager as "OK, Im not good enough, I''m willing to leave"; it''s often game, set and match on a career at a particular level (i.e. most of our loaned players, past and present.)

[quote user="Jim Duffy"]

People are so quick to criticise players who arent willing to go out on loan.

1) If someone said you HAD to move to another part of the country, would you be pleased? No. Footballers are people, they all have lives that may mean moving is completely impossible, or totally unacceptable.

2) Even if they are warming the bench or in the reserves, they ae still training with and surrounded by players of Premiership quality. Its a well known fact that to improve your skills at anything, you need to be with those who are better than you. It''s called "learning from copying" and it''s how you can all walk to the ground, talk to your mates, etc.

3) It often looks better for a player''s record to show that they fought back from the sidelines in a team, back into the first team picture, rather than "running away" and dropping down a level. If a player performs while on loan, this is always tempered by the fact it was a lower level; doesnt prove anything about their ability to play in the Prem again.

4) Often loan moves are preludes to a permanent move; many loanees stay out on loan unless they are youngsters that are sent out to develop their immature game (i.e. most of our current loanees.) Accepting a loan move could be perceived by a manager as "OK, Im not good enough, I''m willing to leave"; it''s often game, set and match on a career at a particular level (i.e. most of our loaned players, past and present.)

[/quote]

Agree with everything you have said but.....

1)  Surely the aim for every professional footballer is to actually play regularly

2)  If the manager has agreed that said player can go out on loan surely that indicates to the player he isn''t required at the moment

3)  Nugent specifically hasn''t exactly been firing on all cylinders since his move to the prem.  In fact he has looked like an overrated waste of money, we all know he isn''t.  Surely a loan move to a level he knows he can perform in would help build his confidence and get his form going and BOOST his chances of playing in the Pompey first team.

I think the reason Magilton is angry though, is not becuase the lad won''t go on loan, is the fact he hasn''t even got the decency to phone and say ''I''ve had a think, it isn''t right for me at this time, thanks but no thanks''.  And IF it is the same player Roeder was talking about then that is just plain arrogance.

or maybe turning out in front of a bunch of sullen farmhands might not appeal - as the prospect didn''t appeal to Jeffers or Wright either

Agree with all youve sasd too, Jimmy, good post.

I personally would want to play football at whatever level, but I havent heard much in defense of footballers who don''t. What we have heard alot of is bitter recrimination from our last 3 managers over the "greed and laziness" of modern footballers but things aren''t that simple.