Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

Wenger or Roeder - who is the better manager ?

Some of you were praising Arsenal and Wenger to the rafters yesterday which then led to a discussion as to whether or not Wenger was a great manager or just inevitably successful because he is backed up by loadsamoney. Well, my question is this - could Wenger have done the job that Roeder has so far done for Norwich or would he have been completely out of his depth. I know what I think but I would be interested to know your opinions ?

Wenger is a genius and would be successful at almost any club.  Most of the players he signs are bargains and very low fees, he has the best scouting and recruitment in world football.  I think even Roeder would tell you that Wenger is a much better manager and if he can do a quarter as well as he has he would be delighted. 

Has to be? Wenger revolutionised Englsih football, was the first manager to introduce diets etc, kicked out the drinking culture. Much as I love Glenn you only get to be a manager backed with money if you earn it. Unless you''re Bryan Robson.

Is this some sort of wind up??? It is a no brainer, and so is the person who stared the thread

Sorry but a pointless post. You can not compare any managers of different clubs, let alone Wenger and Roeder.

"Pointless post", calling me a no brainer ........ the usual drivel and moronic reactions on here to a thoughtful and deliberately provocative post. What''s the measure of a truly talented manager ? Someone who joins a club which is already in the top two or three in the land and is given almost unlimited riches to buy the best players, a scouting infrastructure which was and is now one of the biggest in the world, a genuinely huge fan base and time to make a mark .............. or someone who joins a club like Norwich rooted to the bottom of the Championship, no  money to spend, hardly any scouting infrastructure (but who would want to come to the club anyway ?), a decent if not large fan base, takes a group of non-perfoming players, borrows some from elsewhere on the knock and transforms the club from no hopers to one which has genuine if not totally realistic hopes of getting to the play-offs in a matter of a few months. Could Wenger have done that, would he have deigned to even cosider such an "opportunity"  ? I don'' t think so.  

Have to agree with most of the replys to this. That is, are you ''avin a giraffe? Seriously suggesting that Roeder is in the same galaxy as Wenger is laughable! What has Roeder achieved in the prem? What has Roeder won? Who aspires to Roeder''s football and management style? I think Roeder can be very good, and he''s done a fantastic job for us so far. But that''s all for now.

And he''s the smallest man on the pitch says: "Pointless post", calling me a no brainer ........ the usual drivel and moronic reactions on here to a thoughtful and deliberately provocative post. What''s the measure of a truly talented manager ? Someone who joins a club which is already in the top two or three in the land and is given almost unlimited riches to buy the best players, a scouting infrastructure which was and is now one of the biggest in the world, a genuinely huge fan base and time to make a mark .............. or someone who joins a club like Norwich rooted to the bottom of the Championship, no  money to spend, hardly any scouting infrastructure (but who would want to come to the club anyway ?), a decent if not large fan base, takes a group of non-perfoming players, borrows some from elsewhere on the knock and transforms the club from no hopers to one which has genuine if not totally realistic hopes of getting to the play-offs in a matter of a few months. Could Wenger have done that, would he have deigned to even cosider such an "opportunity"  ? I don'' t think so."Whilst I respect your good intentions for this post, it was only a provocative post because of it''s complete insanity.Your argument is fundamentally flawed by the comments on unlimited riches, yes Wenger has them, but he doesn''t spend them.Look how much Wenger has spent compared to his contemporaries, especially Fergie, look at the wonderful flowing football Arsenal play, look how many gems he has unearthed.....He buys talented youngsters for peanuts and turns them into the best players in the world, consistently. Thierry Henry, Cesc Fabregas, Adebayor - All bought for a drop in the premiership money ocean, all achieved their potential and then some!Wenger has a consistent record over 10years including a 46(?) game unbeaten run.Roeder has flattered to decieve before us, and whilst yes he has worked miracles here, he has been here for  less than 6months. Wenger is the better manager of the two, as proven by his record. Remember Roeder has had the premiership riches to play with before, and only achieved moderate success.The only thing Wenger has had and Roeder hasn''t is time. Hopefully he will get that here, but for me, Wenger is the best manager of this generation; Roeder is a decent manager, but not in Wenger''s league.

smallest man, i think you have come in for a lot of stick because of the title of the thread.

wenger''s track record speaks for itself, so no contest in most peoples eyes. however, it would be interesting to see the approach that wenger would have made if he had come to manage norwich when roeder did.

it may well be that given the situation, roeder performed better than a lot of the prem managers would have done - although why would they have accepted the challenge in the first place? it''s really all hypothetical, but could have been interesting to hear some positive reactions instead of shouting you down.

[quote user="And hes the smallest man on the pitch"]Some of you were praising Arsenal and Wenger to the rafters yesterday which then led to a discussion as to whether or not Wenger was a great manager or just inevitably successful because he is backed up by loadsamoney. Well, my question is this - could Wenger have done the job that Roeder has so far done for Norwich or would he have been completely out of his depth. I know what I think but I would be interested to know your opinions ?[/quote]

Wenger didnt just appear at Arsenal one day and get it all spot on.. he Took AS Monaco from whipping boys on the verge of relegation to French champions and europe. He won the J-League with Nagoya Grampus-8 in Japan.

He took an over weight Winger, who had been booted out of Juventus for being rubbish and was booed every time he got the ball at Monaco and turned him into one of the best, fittest, and injury free players in the world.... that player? Theirry Henry.

Wenger would come here.. get a bunch of no names, cast offs and has beens and turn them into world beaters! no doubt!

How Come Roeder nearly got Newcastles "stars" relegated then? Not a slight on Glen in the least but it shows Wngers the better manager.

jas :)

Is it April Fools Day? haha how bloody funny

has it ever occured to you why arsene wenger is managing a top prem side in champs league and top league

and  glenn roeder is at a midtable championship side

this isnt a dig at norwich or roeder, before i get started

lets face it wenger is the master

he doesnt buy stars, he produces stars

yet with all this making money he still regularly gets them to finals or winning titles

has roeder done the same with youth? lets face it he got whu most talented side in recent years RELEGATED

james, defoe, di canio, kanoute, carrick, j.cole, the list is endless

in transfers he signed tomas repka to save his side, 4m? jesus, he poor old version of d.mills

roeder has found his level and seems to be doing terrific job norwich and fairplay to him, but i can understand what you trying to say if he was in charge of norwich etc... but wenger is the master only manager better than him in world currently is Sir Alex in my opinion and neither can be compared to anyone

just turn it around how do you reckon roeder would do in wenger situation then you got your answer

chinese we8wba and most of the rest of you :-

Oh do read the question before answering pleeeeeeeeeeeeease :   "Well, my question is this - could Wenger have done the job that Roeder has so far done for Norwich or would he have been completely out of his depth". 

CT - Roeder good shrewd manager this level it seems, time will really tell when it gets to squeeky bum time when he on bad run but so far so good.

as to question - sort miss read it, but still yes, wenger is a master, although his football style wont work, wba being perfect example

I think you raised a valid question. Blame wba for derailing the thread - it wasnt him, but lets frame him.

The flaw in your thinking is you look at this from the Championship angle only - you question how Wenger would perform in the Champs, with it''s different demands (certainly the teams here wouldnt give Arsenal the time and space to play their natural game; we for instance would be down to 8 men by the end of a game with them.) You have unfortunately overlooked the fact that we CAN compare them in the Premiership, and I think you know the outcome of that comparison.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

This has to be a candidate for the dumbest thread of the year award. Sorry, but it is.

[/quote]

That''s rich coming from you.

Self-evidently, I happen to think my thread raises interesting questions and the fact that you disagree doesn''t bother me at all although I am surprised at your unjustified rudeness  especially your use of the word "dumbest" as an insult. Anyway, that''s your problem not mine but I am disappointed that the moderators deemed your nastiness as being acceptable.

Anyway, yto finish off : I have more respect for a manager who succeeds with scant resources both in terms of cash and people/expertise around him than the “successful” managers with almost unlimited cash to spend and droves of people backing them up. It’s all about relativity. Where was Arsenal when Wenger joined, how many seasons has he been at Arsenal, list out what he has achieved during his time there and actually shouldn’t he have done better when all said and done ? Anyway, I shall now retreat from this thread, saddened by the unwarranted unpleasantness of most of the responses, particularly yours. I guess this message board is a mirror image of life today in general. Rudeness and bad manners encountered at almost every interval of the day. Most of the posters on here remind me of car drivers with their hands hovering over the hooter ready to blast their horns at the slightest and mildest of provocations.

Wenger is better than Roeder as a manager, but by what margin is hard to gauge considering he has much more money to spend. The best manager in Britain at the moment? Without a doubt Sir Alex Ferguson. Who can argue with nine Premiership titles, five FA Cups, two League Cups and one Champions League trophy? He is almost certainly the most successful manager in English football history. And another thing, when Utd are in full flow their football is every bit as attractive and exciting as the much admired Arsenal.

And he''s the smallest man on the pitch wrote: That''s rich coming from you.

Self-evidently, I happen to think my thread raises interesting questions and the fact that you disagree doesn''t bother me at all although I am surprised at your unjustified rudeness  especially your use of the word "dumbest" as an insult. Anyway, that''s your problem not mine but I am disappointed that the moderators deemed your nastiness as being acceptable.

Yes , I was awfully rude ''smallest man on the pitch'', and yes, its not like me when replying to fellow posters, especially like you, who I have the greatest respect for, I''m very sorry and I do apologise to you.

My only defence, weak as it is, is that I have the vilest man-flu from hell bug..............please forgive on this occassion, a very sick, sweaty and gumpy old wizard.[:S]

What a stupid original post....  As for Roeder, well the longest he as lasted at any club is 3 years and he has relegated 2 of his previous 4 clubs.

And I am not dissoing Roeder here who has done a fantastic job so far.  I am looking forward to him making us his first long term success as a boss.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

This has to be a candidate for the dumbest thread of the year award. Sorry, but it is.

[/quote]

Yes, I prefer the vapid brain-spill of an insecure senior trapped in a adolescent magical fantasy. Thats just me, though.

[quote user="And hes the smallest man on the pitch"]

Where was Arsenal when Wenger joined, how many seasons has he been at Arsenal, list out what he has achieved during his time there and actually shouldn’t he have done better when all said and done ?

[/quote]

Mid table, lots, he has won the double, gone a season in the Premiership unbeaton, reached a champions league final, won premierships and FA cups (and maybe league cups).

[quote user="And he is the smallest man on the pitch"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Where was Arsenal when Wenger joined, how many seasons has he been at Arsenal, list out what he has achieved during his time there and actually shouldn’t he have done better when all said and done ?

[/quote]

Winner

Runner-up