Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

My One Big Fear!

Okay, I think we can all agree that Glen Roeder has/is the best thing that has happened to our club since Walker and O''Neil were here. Yes, I had big doubts with the new loan signings, as did many of us, but again, it seems Glen knows what he''s doing.

We know it, the players seem to know it and now parts of the national press and media appear to know it too.

So:

How long before a relegation haunted Premiership club or Champs club realise it and come calling?.

It scares me to think of all his good work being undone in a flash!.[U]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Okay, I think we can all agree that Glen Roeder has/is the best thing that has happened to our club since Walker and O''Neil were here. Yes, I had big doubts with the new loan signings, as did many of us, but again, it seems Glen knows what he''s doing.

We know it, the players seem to know it and now parts of the national press and media appear to know it too.

So:

How long before a relegation haunted Premiership club or Champs club realise it and come calling?.

[/quote]

Worthington? He certainly achieved more than O''Neill. However, I agree that Roeder could well emulate him but it would take a play off final and a championship. How soon we forget!

As Glenn would say himself, think positive Wiz.

I don''t think he is the sort to disappear somewhere else just because they offered him more money but equally, let''s hope the club can find him sufficient money in the summer to continue the excellent job he is doing.

Who would have believed we would be where we are now, back in October!

So:

[/quote]

Walker and O''Neill? What about Nigel Worthington?

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Roeder has a job to do wiz, and he has barely even started.[/quote]

When GR came here we were 5 points adrift of the relegation pack, now we''re 7 points off the playoffs! all this without spending big.

Thats vitually a miracle in my book, trust me......................others will have noticed.[:|]

Sorry Alex, but in my opinion, he wasn''t in their league, despite promotion, he damn near ruined this club in the end....................they didn''t!.

So:

[/quote]

Blimey, Wiz, are you only happy when you have something to worry about?

I think you''re Shirley Manson from Garbage... "I''m only happy when it rains..."

Be thankful that we''ve got someone who has respect in the game, good contacts with quality managers and a clue about player management.

Sorry Alex, but in my opinion, he wasn''t in their league, despite promotion, he damn near ruined this club in the end....................they didn''t!.

[/quote]

What planet are you on?

O''Neill was here for about half a season and walked out in a huff over transfer fees.

Worthington cleaned up after Hamilton (much as Roeder has done after Grant), took us to a play off final and then got us promoted as champions.  He delivered more than O''Neill ever did.

I am increasingly of the opinion that you crave attention and the spotlight.

In fact, let''s look at this:

Two days ago, you started a thread entitled "Here’s an idea, Glen"…

Until you''ve actually signed someone, shut thy gob!.

I happen to think you''re an ok manager, but getting desperate fans hopes up is just plain wrong, just like you have now on two seperate occassions.

Stop it!.[8o|]

[/quote]

Perhaps you should keep quiet for a while and recover some credibility.

Flip....flop....flip....flop....

Did anyone else hear that?

Someone asked about this on Canary Call yesterday and Neil Adams answered it well.  Basically he said that we should be OK this summer.  If he keeps winning for us next year, then its likely he''d get some calls. Hopefully we''ll be promoted so that Premiership strugglers wouldn''t be much of a temptation. 

Some said O''Neil was not here long enough to prove he was good or bad for us and he just played long ball, I think later in an interve somewhere he said he played the FOOTBALL most suited to the players he had?

Martin O''Neil    August 1995 till December 1995    P 26  W 12  D 9  L 5  W% 46.2

But looking at the stats he could have been one of the best for us?

If Roeder proves to be as good the board better back him or start looking for another man soon.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Sorry Wiz, but NO WAY did Martin O''Neill do more for us than Nigel Worthington!. Dear oh dear Wiz, i''m not having that! If O''Neill had spent several seasons with us, and kept up his record then i could you see you arguing the point. But what if Peter Grant had left straight after his honeymoon period?...Would he be a Norwich ''Great'' based on a reasonable record after a short amount of time too? I don''t think so!. Irrespective that O''Neill''s got an impressive pedigree, he didn''t do squat to make himself better than Worthy, he was here for 6 months or something. So on account of that, i''d have to say you''re wrong, no logical comparison.

Short memories indeed Nutty [;)]

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Roeder has a job to do wiz, and he has barely even started.[/quote]

When GR came here we were 5 points adrift of the relegation pack, now we''re 7 points off the playoffs! all this without spending big.

Thats vitually a miracle in my book, trust me......................others will have noticed.[:|]

[/quote]

Whats with the bold lettering wiz?

It was never a case of spending big. We all knew the payers we had had potential. It was more a case of restoring morale than spending big. Though the new players that have been brought in have done extremely well.

Course other clubs have noticed........that''s football. GR really is''nt the man you make him out to be. He is the type of man who finishes what he starts. He is honest. He wants to do the best for the club not for himself. You don''t think he''s onto a good thing at Norwich? Why would he leave? Sometimes wiz, your negative speculations destroy your otherwise excellent opinions. It does''nt belong on here.

For me it all depends on whether Glenn gets backing from the bored. He strikes me as a very canny operator, who would have not signed for us unless he had some kind of idea what money for players he had to work with.

This transfer window is a case in point. Was it case of of the board not giving Glen any money to spend OR the fact that Glen could not find anyone of any quality to spend his money on ???? According to Neil Adams he  tried to sign 2  strikers but the deals did not come off. Truth or spin ??? I guess it depends on whether you love or hate our dear board..................

I think Roeder will be here until the end of this season, it will be interesting to see what happens then.

O''neil was a good manager and still is, he done well for us here, but he did not set up any legacy''s etc, maybe Worthy didn''t, but he sure as hell got us out of the mire, ala GR, he stabilsed us and even got us probably one of our best days out at Cardif, he then got us promoted, which was a surprise. He seemed to have lost it all, I was glad when he left. Back to topic now, I think GR would want to stay here, I reckon he has a free reign here and would like to sort out the youth set up, get lots of good young players etc. I have faith he will still be here, I heard KK talking about Wise in his post and said that there were a few options, I reckon that GR was a candidate a bit similar to the role he had before and was touted for at Arsenal. If a ''bigger'' club comes in, then his rep will be high and that means that he has done a good job for us, remember, the season is still not over. Lets hope not.

I have no respect for Worthington for the simple fact that he took this club to the cleaners hanging on in until he was sacked getting his payout negating anything good he achieved. For all Grants failings (and I think he was shafted by Doncaster selling Earnshaw and Etuhu just before the season began) and his bad luck losing Smith and Fotherinham to long term injuries he left the club when he realised he wasn''t achieving anything. Just imagine if Grant had done a Worthington and sat there waiting for a payout where would we have been now.

[quote user="ridgeman"]

I have no respect for Worthington for the simple fact that he took this club to the cleaners hanging on in until he was sacked getting his payout negating anything good he achieved. For all Grants failings (and I think he was shafted by Doncaster selling Earnshaw and Etuhu just before the season began) and his bad luck losing Smith and Fotherinham to long term injuries he left the club when he realised he wasn''t achieving anything. Just imagine if Grant had done a Worthington and sat there waiting for a payout where would we have been now.

[/quote]

In the same place as we are now, because if Grant hadn''t resigned the board would have sacked him later the same evening.

To have no respect for a manager who took us back to the Premier League is fairly shoddy.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

So:

[/quote]

Worthington? He certainly achieved more than O''Neill. However, I agree that Roeder could well emulate him but it would take a play off final and a championship. How soon we forget!

[/quote]

I was going to raise the same points Nutty... Worthy got us to a play-off final and then won us the title (from the shambles that Hamilton left for him to pick up), O''Neill helped the gullible people of Norfolk get rid of another bunch of NCFC directors who had totally lost the plot.

Roeder has achieved nothing yet except saving us from staring relegation to the Div 1 in the face.

[quote user="ridgeman"]

[/quote]

B0ll0ck5! I''m not having that either Ridgeman! Say what you like about Doncaster but without those buy-out clauses we''d never of signed Earnshaw and Etuhu. Those clauses happen at every club top to bottom!, it''s the sad state of the modern game unfortunately. You can''t blame Doncaster for that, i don''t care what anyone says!. Tell me, could you of bought those two without those ''inserts''?....!. No, i didn''t think so.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

So:

[/quote]

Blimey, Wiz, are you only happy when you have something to worry about?

I think you''re Shirley Manson from Garbage... "I''m only happy when it rains..."

Be thankful that we''ve got someone who has respect in the game, good contacts with quality managers and a clue about player management.

[/quote]

A few quick lessons for you Master Chops:

1. My credibility?.........................never gave a flying stuff for what I never wanted or had!.

2. Flip flop?..................................No way! I just raised a few concerns regarding Glens press announcements, not once in my post did I actually question his overhall football ability, so apology please.

3 O''Neil in football terms was/is in another galaxy compared to Worthless, plus him being here, resulted in Chase quitting later on. That was a huge legacy to leave us.

If you were lucky like me and had my wide vision, then you''d see the bigger picture!.[;)]

[/quote]

Wiz - are you for real anout NW?  Don''t just flippantly respond, but think carefully about what Worthy achieved in a realtively short spell without huge investment. 

On balance, I think most people can recognise that he did an excellent job.

In the end, he came up short and never got him or the team over the Fulham result.... and he made some strange and frustrating decisions along the way (the persistant use of the ill-fated diamond formation in the Premiership, the persistent use of Holt in the Premiership when he had a lung full of blood, the persistent lack of tactical substitutions until the 89th minute, the persistent use of the word ''sit-you-ashion'').

But with a play-off final, a league win and a very exciting and credible run-in in the Premiership season (including a sound thrashing of Man U) I think he did an excellent job.

Further, I will always wonder what might have been if he''d been allowed to sign Ashton the summer before the Prem and perhaps if we''d signed Earnie too.... dreams!!!!

[quote user="LeedsYellow"]

In the end, he came up short and never got him or the team over the Fulham result.... and he made some strange and frustrating decisions along the way (the persistant use of the ill-fated diamond formation in the Premiership, the persistent use of Holt in the Premiership when he had a lung full of blood, the persistent lack of tactical substitutions until the 89th minute, the persistent use of the word ''sit-you-ashion'').

[/quote]

No real need for me to reply is there mate? you said everything!.

PS. Can we get this thread back on track please?.

[quote user="LeedsYellow"]

[/quote]

No real need for me to reply is there mate? you said everything!.

PS. Can we get this thread back on track please?.

[/quote]

Think you missed something.  "On balance, I think most people can recognise that he did an excellent job."

My one big fear would be spiders.  Well, spiders and heights.  Oh, and enclosed spaces.  If you were to put me in an open-topped glass lift on the side of a skyscraper, and then parachute a box full of spiders into the lift somehow, that would pretty much be my one big fear.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]My one big fear would be spiders.  Well, spiders and heights.  Oh, and enclosed spaces.  If you were to put me in an open-topped glass lift on the side of a skyscraper, and then parachute a box full of spiders into the lift somehow, that would pretty much be my one big fear.[/quote]That wouldn''t scare me, not unless the lift was blacked in on the walls but glass on the floor, the glass was cracked, it was night, but the ground was illuminated (so I scould see it) and two of the spiders were a snake and a clown, ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGG............

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"][quote user="Alex"]

What about Nigel Worthington?

[/quote]

= dull football
[/quote]

Yeah I remember being at the parade when we won the League and I remember thinking to myself, what a dull season of football that was!!!

[quote]Yeah I remember being at the parade when we won the League and I

remember thinking to myself, what a dull season of football that was!!![/quote]Does anyone know what happened to the giant inflatable canary that was on top of City Hall ?I can''t help thinking, somewhere in Mile Cross, there''s a garden with a whole bunch of  B & Q 40 watt Xmas lights and a giant inflatable canary.