Sign in to follow this  
Escape2Victory

Why blame the board?

I am a first time poster but i was just interested to hear why people are so anti our board?

We are a Championship club. Like many championship clubs we are crippled with debt. Players capable of playing in the premier league will want to leave(ashton, earnshaw, francis etc) Due to the difficulties of sustaining a football club at this level we are not always going to able to replace them with people of the same value. (even if we could attract such players to the club) Even when an agreement can be made with a potential new players club, the player will not always want to come here. (e.g Billy Sharp, Steve Howard, Dave Coterill etc) Yes the club has good support, facilities and stadium but it is also a fair distance from anywhere else of note in the country. Players will often have the chance to join another club without moving house and family.

Surely the responsbility for signing bad players lies with the management of recent years? Players like Hughes, Doherty, Jonson etc didnt exactlly come cheap. The inclusion of release clauses in contracts is also a modern reality for teams in our position (and league). If we don''t include such clauses, we have no chance of attracting players such as Etuhu and Earnshaw in the first place.

Good to see someone talking some with sense of perspective.  We all know that we have problems but they have to be taken into the context of the overall sitation as above mentioned.  Some want Delia gone ... who comes in her place?  Who''s willing to spend millions on Norwich City F.C.?

Like any board ours has made mistakes but hindsight is a wonderful thing, they are are committed to the club and people should realise that we have no divine right to be in the premiership or in the pay offs but with our resource we are desparately under achieving!!!

[quote user="Escape2Victory"]

I am a first time poster but i was just interested to hear why people are so anti our board?

We are a Championship club. Like many championship clubs we are crippled with debt. Players capable of playing in the premier league will want to leave(ashton, earnshaw, francis etc) Due to the difficulties of sustaining a football club at this level we are not always going to able to replace them with people of the same value. (even if we could attract such players to the club) Even when an agreement can be made with a potential new players club, the player will not always want to come here. (e.g Billy Sharp, Steve Howard, Dave Coterill etc) Yes the club has good support, facilities and stadium but it is also a fair distance from anywhere else of note in the country. Players will often have the chance to join another club without moving house and family.

Surely the responsbility for signing bad players lies with the management of recent years? Players like Hughes, Doherty, Jonson etc didnt exactlly come cheap. The inclusion of release clauses in contracts is also a modern reality for teams in our position (and league). If we don''t include such clauses, we have no chance of attracting players such as Etuhu and Earnshaw in the first place.

[/quote]

The club have only just stopped receiving the £32million sky money from promotion. In that period they have also banked some £16million in player sales. As it stands our entire squad cost less than £5million to assemble and the debt has hardly reduced. Have a little think about those figures and then see if you can figure out where the problem might be.

Well who elses fault is it that we are in the dire situation we find ourselves in? It is the board who have been responsible for selling our best players for big money and only making a small percentage of that money avaliable for replacements so that the team is now to weak to compete at this level, it is the board who have spent all the money on anything but the team and it''s the board that hung on far to long before sacking Worthy and replaced him with an inexperienced manager when we quite clearly needed an experienced man at the helm. Can''t see who else it can be, it certainly isn''t the fans.

The problem is that we''ve (badly) we been forced to radhly replace all of our more expensive, better players with cheaper, worse ones as the parachute money runs out. A bit like the other two teams (Palace and Soton) who came down with us from the Premiership.

Now look at the league table and tell me how much better they''re getting on?

[quote user="kdncfc"]

Well who elses fault is it that we are in the dire situation we find ourselves in? It is the board who have been responsible for selling our best players for big money and only making a small percentage of that money avaliable for replacements so that the team is now to weak to compete at this level, it is the board who have spent all the money on anything but the team and it''s the board that hung on far to long before sacking Worthy and replaced him with an inexperienced manager when we quite clearly needed an experienced man at the helm. Can''t see who else it can be, it certainly isn''t the fans.

[/quote]

Spot on!

[quote user="Evil_Canary"]Good to see someone talking some with sense of perspective.  We all know that we have problems but they have to be taken into the context of the overall sitation as above mentioned.  Some want Delia gone ... who comes in her place?  Who''s willing to spend millions on Norwich City F.C.?[/quote]i''d love to hear you''re prespective on life in league 1 please???

[/quote]

I personally think, that the blame should be put on you and your "ilk''s" shoulders.....

Because the board believes it can buck the trend of paying competetive wages and transfer fees,by "thinking cleverer" than everyone else,whilst whittling away our transfer budget on numerous bargain bin squad fillers,Robinson,Hughes,Thorne,And most of or current team.Bolstered by the occasional big name,eg Earnshaw who it turns out can only be persuaded to join on the proviso that they can name their own leaving terms no matter how detrimental to the team in terms of cohesion or unity,or by ensuring the squad was large enough to compensate for such an eventuality.

By the way it handled Dean Ashtons transfer to West Ham, or Leon Mckenzies to coventry.

For the Lack of ambition that so clearly manifests itself on the pitch, Name one other club that has "prudence with ambition" or "sound fiscal policy with a modicum of sucess" as a club mission statement, then wonder why we have difficulty attracting and retaining ambitious footballers.

Because despite numerous chances for the board to learn from past mistakes,there is no sign that it has nor shows any willingness to listen to criticism,beyond labelling it unhelpful.

E2V, next time you are bored watching the rubbish in front of you on the lovely £700,000 pitch have a look around at the wonderful stadium, the restaurants, the car parks, the travel shop, the car showroom, the new Yellows pub, the hotel.  Then look at the City stand glance up a bit, it says Norwich City FOOTBALL Club, then think about how all that money could have been spent on improving that rubbish squad that you are fed up watching.Thats why I blame the board because of the millions of pounds that has been wasted on non football issues!

[quote user="slater"]The problem is that we''ve (badly) we been forced to radhly replace all of our more expensive, better players with cheaper, worse ones as the parachute money runs out. A bit like the other two teams (Palace and Soton) who came down with us from the Premiership. Now look at the league table and tell me how much better they''re getting on?[/quote]

exactly. it would be ridiculous to spend money we don''t have. i am by no means happy by the present performances, but i would prefer to have my football club existing for the rest of my lifetime than gamble on more success in the short term.

If the Turners or other suitable investors want to invest, then it would be great. Until then, however, i fail to see what more the board can do.

[quote user="Confused Des"]

Because the board believes it can buck the trend of paying competetive wages and transfer fees,by "thinking cleverer" than everyone else,whilst whittling away our transfer budget on numerous bargain bin squad fillers,Robinson,Hughes,Thorne,And most of or current team.Bolstered by the occasional big name,eg Earnshaw who it turns out can only be persuaded to join on the proviso that they can name their own leaving terms no matter how detrimental to the team in terms of cohesion or unity,or by ensuring the squad was large enough to compensate for such an eventuality.

By the way it handled Dean Ashtons transfer to West Ham, or Leon Mckenzies to coventry.

For the Lack of ambition that so clearly manifests itself on the pitch, Name one other club that has "prudence with ambition" or "sound fiscal policy with a modicum of sucess" as a club mission statement, then wonder why we have difficulty attracting and retaining ambitious footballers.

Because despite numerous chances for the board to learn from past mistakes,there is no sign that it has nor shows any willingness to listen to criticism,beyond labelling it unhelpful.

quoting the handling of Ashton''s seems bizare. Ashton was given a new contract the summer we went down, with the ambition that he would fire in the goals to return us to the premiership. Anyone that saw his performances that season could see he was taking the piss and simply didnt give a damn. History shows there is not a huge amount of point keeping an unhappy player.

[/quote]

Why blame the Board?  Because their "Prudence with Ambition" policy has meant that the occasional dribbles of cash made available to successive managers has been spent on third rate no-hopers (barring the occasional exception that proves the rule) because that''s all they''ve been able to afford.  Needless to say, these transfers have been a complete waste of time and have weakened rather than strengthened the squad so actually it would have been more prudent to either give significant funding to buy quality players or not to have given any money at all.  The "prudence with ambition" transfer policy seems to have been the most imprudent way of conducting business - after all, you get what you pay for!

because they are useless, mistake after mistake and no answers! they appointed a dope for manager in grant they sanctioned bringing in hartson by Duffer what more can i say the list is endless over the last few years

why blame the board, God help us, if some of you fans dont wise up, you must start sharing the responsibility for our plight, this board must now be pressurised, Chase Like, they will soon find a buyer guaranteed, Chase said he was going nowhere, HE DID.

This can only be yet another apologistic wind up......as I suspect anybody with such a dim witted view of reality could scarcely switch on his computer...let alone post anything.

Enjoyable stuff though....and it keeps the the "Smith Out" pot boiling nicely....... 

you seem to have forgoten the details surrounding the ashton affair and the way it was announced to the fans,at the eleventh hour,as the window was shutting,to late to draught in another target man after weeks of denial that a move was on the cards.

You seem to have forgoten Ashtons performances in the championship,having very nearly kept us up,he along with huckerby were one of the few to actually give a damn,exhorting the other players along,to no avail,with precious little service from the centre or the right.

you seem to have forgoten how threadbare the squad is and has been for the last two seasons where we have had no cover in numerous positions,causing city to field make and mend squads with little cohesion and over rely on loan transfers of such paucity that have steadily depleted the coffers.

yet you say i am the one being bizarre

how odd.

[quote user="Confused Des"]

you seem to have forgoten the details surrounding the ashton affair and the way it was announced to the fans,at the eleventh hour,as the window was shutting,to late to draught in another target man after weeks of denial that a move was on the cards.

You seem to have forgoten Ashtons performances in the championship,having very nearly kept us up,he along with huckerby were one of the few to actually give a damn,exhorting the other players along,to no avail,with precious little service from the centre or the right.

you seem to have forgoten how threadbare the squad is and has been for the last two seasons where we have had no cover in numerous positions,causing city to field make and mend squads with little cohesion and over rely on loan transfers of such paucity that have steadily depleted the coffers.

yet you say i am the one being bizarre

how odd.

[/quote]

Des, you seem confused.

[quote user="slater"]The problem is that we''ve (badly) we been forced to radhly replace all of our more expensive, better players with cheaper, worse ones as the parachute money runs out. A bit like the other two teams (Palace and Soton) who came down with us from the Premiership. Now look at the league table and tell me how much better they''re getting on?[/quote]

exactly. it would be ridiculous to spend money we don''t have. i am by no means happy by the present performances, but i would prefer to have my football club existing for the rest of my lifetime than gamble on more success in the short term.

If the Turners or other suitable investors want to invest, then it would be great. Until then, however, i fail to see what more the board can do.

[/quote]

You are completely missing the point. The club have had plenty of money over the last three seasons (£32million sky money, £16million player sales, record season tickets etc.) it just hasn`t been spent on the team, and this is why we have ended up with a poor, demoralised squad which cost less than £5million to assemble. The board have chosen to spend it on unneccessary infrastructure and therefore they deserve all the blame they (you?) are getting and some.

It`s funny how when it comes to spending money on the pitch it`s "spending money we can`t afford", but when it comes to chucking millions at a new infill, new pitch, road, new ticket office, land, offices and corporate facilities these are deemed wise investments.....[^o)]. How silly do they look now? People have been saying for a long time now that it is a massive risk to assume the team will trot along nicely with minimal investment, but then i don`t think our board are intelligent enough to even grasp that idea.

[quote user="ricardo"]

Des, you seem confused.

[/quote]

nope,just replying to E2V''s comment,

"quoting the handling of Ashton''s seems bizare. Ashton was given a new contract the summer we went down, with the ambition that he would fire in the goals to return us to the premiership. Anyone that saw his performances that season could see he was taking the piss and simply didnt give a damn. History shows there is not a huge amount of point keeping an unhappy player."

[/quote]

oh foolish one!