Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

As I stated all along... nothing has changed...

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED12%20Jul%202007%2012%3A13%3A17%3A080

Granty''s statements to the press earlier today are an utter disgrace and just sum up where this club is falling short!!!  [:@]

So spending is over prior to the season kicking off is it?

7 players out (make that 8 by the time Safri has left us during the next few days) and only 6 players in...

£3.5million for the shameful under valuation of a certain Mr Robert Earnshaw''s talents, with only approx £2.3million (approx £2.7million with signing on fees etc taken into consideration) re-invested back in to the squad.

Yet again the Carrow Road board have fleeced the gullible Norfolk public... and it disgusts me!!!

Where is the Turners and Delia''s input in to our summer spending spree?

I said all along that any money we spent this summer would be dependant on and less than any fee that we received for Earnshaw and I have been proved right!!!

Read it again Smudge....

"City boss Peter Grant is to put his summer spending on temporary hold"

There''s a clue there somewhere if you try hard enough.

Did you read the story or just the headline? Go back and only read the bits grant actually says as opposed to the spin that was placed on a few comments simply to make news. I think if you do that you''ll have a different opinion of things.

How many times do you have to keep churning this over and over again, we all know that we only got Earnie because of what was written in the contract.

You have not been proved right, because you know NOTHING about inside the board, you know very little about football in general so how do we expect you to know about inside the board room, we do not and don''t pretend to but you do.

[quote user="Smudger"]

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED12%20Jul%202007%2012%3A13%3A17%3A080

Granty''s statements to the press earlier today are an utter disgrace and just sum up where this club is falling short!!!  [:@]

7 players out (make that 8 by the time Safri has left us during the next few days) and only 6 players in...

£3.5million for the shameful under valuation of a certain Mr Robert Earnshaw''s talents, with only approx £2.3million (approx £2.7million with signing on fees etc taken into consideration) re-invested back in to the squad.

Yet again the Carrow Road board have fleeced the gullible Norfolk public... and it disgusts me!!!

I said all along that any money we spent this summer would be dependant on and less than any fee that we received for Earnshaw and I have been proved right!!!

[/quote]

I have to admit Smudger that the investment so far has not filled me with any great enthusiasm Some posters on here seemed to be getting carried away with their assessment of recent transactions. The signings of Marshall, Brellier and Strihavka have made us a bit stronger down the spine of the team but we have to weigh that against the loss of Earnie and possibly Saf.

Jamie Cureton was an o.k signing but if we did pay £800k for him then in my opinion it was a poor bit of business. He may do the job for a season or so but his resale value will be close to nil.

The early news of the bids for Sharp and Eastwood seemed to suggest the board were prepared to spend something like £3-4 million in order to satisfy the aspirations of the fans. It would now appear that the Earnie money has done the job for them and they will be able to sit back having pocketed around three quarters of a million quid.

If we don''t fill the obvious weaknesses at centre back and attacking midfield it will be a disgrace. The truth appears to be that without the sale of Earnie there would have been no transfer budget at all!

Not much of a spending spree is it? Looks more like a con trick to me.No [N]

In case anyone needs to know what the date is, it''s the 12th of July 2007.  The Transfer Window shuts in approximately 50 days.In case anyone missed the article, the first lines are...[quote]City boss Peter Grant is to put his summer spending on temporary hold.For now, Grant is keen to see how his new recruits and current squad perform in training and in the warm-up games, but he could then dip into the transfer market again, with the option of permanent or loan signings.[/quote]About using the loan system to bring in players, Grant said :[quote]If there''s anybody we feel could benefit the group, we''d definitely look to take them in. I think it''s something we have to utilise because last year, you saw the amount of injuries we ended up having. We were short. The young boys deserved their opportunity, but there was a stage when I was putting injured boys on the bench. If you''re going to be challenging, you just can''t have that and I was doing that too often last year.”[/quote]

So the spending isn''t over, we''re looking at how the new signings fit into the squad before further players are brought in, and will use loan signings to being squad numbers up.Everybody happy ?

Wow dude, you should be the manager. You seem to know more about football and finance than anyone I have ever seen or heard of.

With your gut instinct for predicting the future as well, I think Norwich would be delighted to have you on board. I know I would.

The only thing which worries me about your suitability for the role is that rather than going down to the club to enquire about any vacancies, you would rather spout on and on about how digusted you are about the job others are doing.

Well, the last time I was disgusted about something I did something about it. So I do hope you can do likewise and that you are not purely one of these ''internet experts''

Discussion is all well and good, but it seems now is the time for you to put up or stop pretending you are that bothered by events at the club.

"utter disgrace" just about sums you up sir.  Oh and very gullible, if you think that the various fees are around 400k (40k each).Do (can) you even read the articles before you jump in and criticise them?can you count or did Tony Warner count as one of our players that has shamefully left? neither Colin nor Safri have actually left yet.You have yet to be proved right as the summer has not yet ended - nor by the second half of the article does it sound like it has. Its just taking a pause for a while, untill atleast saturday. That is 3 days - just means that they haven''t any deals on the table right now.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I have to admit Smudger that the investment so far has not filled me with any great enthusiasm Some posters on here seemed to be getting carried away with their assessment of recent transactions. The signings of Marshall, Brellier and Strihavka have made us a bit stronger down the spine of the team but we have to weigh that against the loss of Earnie and possibly Saf.

Jamie Cureton was an o.k signing but if we did pay £800k for him then in my opinion it was a poor bit of business. He may do the job for a season or so but his resale value will be close to nil.

The early news of the bids for Sharp and Eastwood seemed to suggest the board were prepared to spend something like £3-4 million in order to satisfy the aspirations of the fans. It would now appear that the Earnie money has done the job for them and they will be able to sit back having pocketed around three quarters of a million quid.

If we don''t fill the obvious weaknesses at centre back and attacking midfield it will be a disgrace. The truth appears to be that without the sale of Earnie there would have been no transfer budget at all!

Not much of a spending spree is it? Looks more like a con trick to me.No [N]

[/quote]

Absolutely RICARDO...

It amazes me that you seem to be the only guy on here that can see it who previously stood by the board in what they were doing.

All RESPECT to you for being able to see it and hold your hands up admitting that you got it wrong.

It is nothing short of (I will save you the time of editing that word - mods) what is occuring at Carrow Road.

[quote]The early news of the bids for Sharp and Eastwood...[/quote]Grant said he has never enquired about Eastwood, I assume that this was because Eastwood wanted to go to Wolves.  I also assume that Southend used our name to push the price up on a player in the last year of his contract.  They seem reasonable assumptions to me.[quote]The truth appears to be that without the sale of Earnie there would have been no transfer budget at all![/quote]If other clubs think this is true, that puts us in a good bargaining position, doesn''t it ?  I mean, compared to Wolves who made national news with their "£30 million for players" announcement ?Maybe we''re living within our means, maybe a big fish is yet to arrive.  That''s the fun of it though.

[quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]It depends - with cureton - I agree he is a limited time signing (possibly the club is hoping Martin will take over from him gradually?) the the prices to compare his fee too would be loaning a striker from the premiership for a similar length of time (1.5 - 2) seasons.    We don''t know what that would cost but bet it would be about the same cost to loan someone like Bendtner for the same period - and we have a proven striker who loves the club.  OK business I say.

You really should read the whole of that article before letting your favourite orifice run away with you.

Nothing within that article suggests that there will be no more signings before the season starts - Grant states that he wants to assess the players over the pre-season fixtures and Gunn is on the lookout for possible Premiership loan players.

As to your constant harping on about team strengthening & depleted squad numbers; I refer you to the following thread:- http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/976593/ShowPost.aspx

What are you on about (again), I don''t see anything disgraceful there, he merely says David MIGHT be the last signing, spending is not over for definate. He says he will utilise the loan system if necessary and that midfield and defence is still a key area for work.Nowhere in that article does it say we won''t buy anymore players, so why don''t you drop the spin and assumptions. In fact at the beginning it clearly states that he will and has not ruled out anymore signings.

We have signed a fantastic goalkeeper, the Championship''s top goal scorer, the second highest goal scorer in the Czech league, a very highly rated defensive midfielder, a right back that was in the team of the season for Div 1,a highly rated second keeper,  and you still snipe at the club at every opportunity.

You are becoming even more predictable, bitter and downright boring.

Fair to say that Smudger likes the sound of his own voice.......why don''t you go home to Portaloo Road...they will welcome you with open arms......Leave this site for true fans....

[quote user="Dicky"]

We have signed a fantastic goalkeeper, the Championship''s top goal scorer, the second highest goal scorer in the Czech league, a very highly rated defensive midfielder, a right back that was in the team of the season for Div 1,a highly rated second keeper,  and you still snipe at the club at every opportunity.

[/quote]

Just like one of your posts... you don''t even mention what has gone out in the other direction do you?

Unless you can balance your views up a bit more why bother posting???

[quote user="yarmy"]

Fair to say that Smudger likes the sound of his own voice.......why don''t you go home to Portaloo Road...they will welcome you with open arms......Leave this site for true fans....

[/quote]

how predictable.... yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn  [S]

Spending is not equal to success. Spending well is, and I think we can all see that the money spent is not spent unwisely so far. Marshall, Cureton and Strihavka represent three excellent acquisitions and Gilks, Otsemobor and Brellier are three excellent bosmans. It is possible to get out of this division by spending wisely, not spending alot, and I think the assumption by Smudger that investment = success is a naive one.

Still, in a related matter, Grant''s apparent dismissal of any additional transfer activity is really disappointing. Last year, we were let down by one of the poorest defensive records in the league. While we''ve brought Otsemobor in, this is not enough to deal with what I see as severe defensive frailities we have at the club now.

We need another center back at the very, very least. With Shackell, Doherty, Dublin, Halliday and Spillane the only recognised center backs on our books, to say we''re short on cover in this position is understatement of the century. Look at it this way; Shackell is decent enough. Doherty as we all know is a liability. Dublin is a striker turned defender, Halliday has very little first team experience and Spillane is preferred in central midfield. We need that center back, and for Grant to say our summer spending has come to an end is in my view, a very big and ridiculous error on his part.

We could also use that old chestnut of a back up left back. With Drury getting a few injuries last season, we need someone young, fit and up and coming to replace him.

Come on Grant; most of us are delighted by the transfer activity so far. But it''s not enough - we need to see at least a central defender. If not a back up left back to go with.

wind-up merchant.

its not worth getting het up about smudgers comments. just let it wash over you and then continue to enjoy the new signings. our squad looks considerably stronger than last seasons!!

I suspect that you just come on here to annoy people, Smudger................your facts are ususally suspect. How on earth we continue to tolerate you on here is beyond me. I can think of no recent comments of yours that are the slightest bit constructive. You are all too ready to criticise people who have given time and money to the club for the benefit of us all. You expect absolutely everything and give nothing but bad mouthing in return.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

Just like one of your posts... you don''t even mention what has gone out in the other direction do you?

Unless you can balance your views up a bit more why bother posting???

[/quote]

Thorne, Fisk, Henderson, MLJ, McVeigh - all lynchpins of the team eh?  We have lost one decent player.  How''s that for balance.  As for you telling peole to balance their views, I am gobsmacked.  Smudger, predictable, bitter and downright boring again.

[quote user="Wings"]

Spending is not equal to success. Spending well is, and I think we can all see that the money spent is not spent unwisely so far. Marshall, Cureton and Strihavka represent three excellent acquisitions and Gilks, Otsemobor and Brellier are three excellent bosmans. It is possible to get out of this division by spending wisely, not spending alot, and I think the assumption by Smudger that investment = success is a naive one.

Still, in a related matter, Grant''s apparent dismissal of any additional transfer activity is really disappointing. Last year, we were let down by one of the poorest defensive records in the league. While we''ve brought Otsemobor in, this is not enough to deal with what I see as severe defensive frailities we have at the club now.

We need another center back at the very, very least. With Shackell, Doherty, Dublin, Halliday and Spillane the only recognised center backs on our books, to say we''re short on cover in this position is understatement of the century. Look at it this way; Shackell is decent enough. Doherty as we all know is a liability. Dublin is a striker turned defender, Halliday has very little first team experience and Spillane is preferred in central midfield. We need that center back, and for Grant to say our summer spending has come to an end is in my view, a very big and ridiculous error on his part.

We could also use that old chestnut of a back up left back. With Drury getting a few injuries last season, we need someone young, fit and up and coming to replace him.

Come on Grant; most of us are delighted by the transfer activity so far. But it''s not enough - we need to see at least a central defender. If not a back up left back to go with.

[/quote]

What assumption?  The only assumption I can see is the one that you are making above in that I have made such an assumption in the first place.

You know what they say WINGS?  Assumption is the mother of all and all that...... point is that you are the only one making one though!!!

As for the rest of your post I would pretty much agree with you... there are still many gaps that ned plugging...

Hence why I see it as an utter disgrace that Grant is making such comments when we haven''t even spent the Eanrhsaw money.

Like I said all along though Delia and the Turners would be putting in Sweet FA... and these statements by Grant seem to be backing that up don''t they???

[quote user="Garfunkel"]

I suspect that you just come on here to annoy people, Smudger................your facts are ususally suspect. How on earth we continue to tolerate you on here is beyond me. I can think of no recent comments of yours that are the slightest bit constructive. You are all too ready to criticise people who have given time and money to the club for the benefit of us all. You expect absolutely everything and give nothing but bad mouthing in return.

[/quote]

and I suspect that you may be a Carrow Road Spin Machine - Office Junior if you want to play immature childish games Garfunkel  [:P]

This is getting very boring why are we spending all of our spare time on an internet message board arguing over this? Have we all really got nothing better to be doing? Come on people back to your jobs and your lives go for a walk, read a book or something! Then on the 1st of September we can all come back when we know who''s left, who''s come in, how much money we''ve spent etc and we can have an informed disscusion rather than the bo***ks that''s being spouted at the moment.  

sorry Smudger

My 17 posts against your 1661......you obviously have much greater knowledge than me.....!!!! 

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

It depends - with cureton - I agree he is a limited time signing (possibly the club is hoping Martin will take over from him gradually?) the the prices to compare his fee too would be loaning a striker from the premiership for a similar length of time (1.5 - 2) seasons.    We don''t know what that would cost but bet it would be about the same cost to loan someone like Bendtner for the same period - and we have a proven striker who loves the club.  OK business I say.
[/quote]

Indeed 7rew However at £1.5-2.5 million for Sharp or Eastwood ( or others that have been mentioned) it would seem to me that taking into account their resale value, either would have been a better bet.

We can argue all we like over whether they would have come but I would suggest that going for a 32 year old with no resale value was the wrong option. I do not dispute that Jamie loves the club or that he is a decent player at the lower levels. What i can''t understand is why we paid the reported £800k for him. I don''t think any other club would have done.

Smudger, you still haven''t addressed the point of most responses to this thread. People are observing that nowhere is PG quoted as saying "that''s it, no more players coming in this pre-season". All the quotes indicate that he would like more players. What about the following:

• "Whether he''s the last one, I will see"
  • "I still feel there are maybe one or two positions where I could get an extra body in"
  • "Midfield and defence I''ll still have to look at..."?
  • "Bryan Gunn has spoken to a few people, letting them know that we''re still looking for players"
  • "If there''s anybody we feel could benefit the group, we''d definitely look to take them in"

I can''t find one quote from Grant in that article that actually says "yep, that''s the last one".

It seems to me that most of you have entirely missed Smudgers points.

1.We have spent less than we have recieved by the tune of something like £750k.

2.We quite obviuosly still need a central defender and midfielder.

3. Granty appears to be saying if anyone else comes it will be a loan signing.

4. Spending so far does not give the impression that we are serious about going for promotion.

I remain amazed that you all seem to think we are vastly stronger than last season. We still have a threadbare squad and important position still need strengthening.

Perhaps Granty has something else up his sleeve other than his arm. I certainly hope so or a lot of you are going to be very disapponted come the Autumn.