Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

I cannot believe Worthy's dig at fans

Having just completed my 2 hour trip home after the game I decided to watch the highlights on Anglia and I couldn''t believe that Worthy''s first comment was to have a go at the fans. Does he live in a different world to the rest of us, he should be praising the fans who continued to give excellent vocal support throughout, despite having witnessed a dreadful first half of football from a team top of the league. Get real Worthy at least the supporters perform consistently week in and week out. I suppose you think that 8,000 fans are travelling to Crystal Palace to have a moan at the team. Most managers in the first division would love to have our loyal supporters but our manager decides to criticise them!

Fans paid money to the game, expected to see good football or good result, it was nothing wrong there, but we just cannot expect we are going to win every game, or score 3 or 4 goals in every half! We are the top of the league now so when every team which play against us now or in the future, they should be very focus on how to draw us or how not losing to us. They must try to frustrate us first more than have a go to our defence. Gillingham is near the relegation zone so they must be happy to take anything back home from Carrow Road, even only for 1 point they are happy enough.

I admit we didn''t pass the ball better (in Nigel''s tone mate!) (of course I wasn''t in the game since I was in Hong Kong but I rely on Wallers'' commentary) in the first half, maybe we are too nervous or maybe their front two were quite dangerous so we cannot push numbers up front to allow them counterattack; but for the manager''s point of view, what he need most was the player''s response, also the help of the home fans! If we are playing away from home, then mostly 80% of the supporters will boo off us, now we are at home so why do we try to "increase" the booing sound to our players, by helping the 20% of the away supporters? Honestly at half time I wasn''t booing, but I admit I was worrying about. I don''t the 8000 strong supporters would ask for refund for the Palace game! :P

i haven''t seen this comment myself, was it on tv or in the press, no matter, i cannot believe it either, i was at cardiff and thought the support was excellent, especially considering the provocation from our welsh friends who were racist to the core (the shipman song being a prime example that they are stuck in a 70s timewarp).

Okay, it wasn''t the noisiest we have ever been but then the football wasn''t the greatest either, but we did make some noise and sing a lot of positive stuff, so i don''t know what he was directing his comments at

as you say, he will no doubt be cheered to learn 8000 of us are making the trip to selhurst, cannot wait!!! should be a day to remember, let''s hope it will be up there in supporting folklore one day like barnsley away in the play off season

Dont forget that Worthy is stressed big time right now ! , frankly, he can call me what he likes as long as he`s doing the business , and he IS doing the business !! , as for going straight down again if we get promoted ......... such defeatist talk ! :o(

i agree with worthy we need to support the team from the first kick to the last ,5 mins into the game fans were moaning and shouting disguting things at the players . i would understand it if we were bottom but we are top ,come on lets sing our hearts out and be behind the boys.

He wasn''t having a dig, he was just being honest like he would with anyone else on the team. I think he is right.

Those who were at the game last night will have to agree that there was a funny old atmosphere. Take the WBA game out of the equation and there always seems to be a funny atmosphere on a Tuesday night game. Its like we are all tired from day at work.

Thats wot worthy was talking about. It was almost as if the edginess of the crowd made the players more nervous. The fans are great and we have been home and away this season, worthy will be the first to point that out as well. However last night we were edgy and nervous and as we go to the end of the seaon we must come out of the blocks from the start and not get on players backs, we can make a positive impression and lift the players by getting behind them............. but we can make a negative impression far more easily.

I didnt see the comments on TV but did read the report on SKY (and the report on the pink''un). Unless they have missed some of his key comments it doesnt look to me like he actually criticised the fans but just implied that we should relax cheer the team and enjoy the moment. I wasnt at the Gills game, but I have been to many games where we are all too wound up/tense/on edge and the cheering/singing/chanting is sometimes at a minimum.

I suppose that given the current prediciment we need to decide what is the most important (and ideally we would want both but..) 3 more points to secure automatic promotion or the beautiful passing game/attacking football we all crave.

Silver Fox - what area do you live - it takes me 2 hours to get home too - I live in the Bishops Stortford area?

I don''t agree with you though over this. Worthy speaking his mind to players does the trick - so why not the fans....

It was strangely subdued at the start of the match last night, its a nervous time for everyone and we let it show.

It wasn''t just the team that had a bad first half - we did too - and by this I mean the whole ground - not just certain areas. Maybe we needed a bit of a hairdryer!

At the start of the second we really got going. That, and the intro of Mullers, made the difference.

So, lets not show our nerves again - Palace is going to be amazing, and we need to be on top form against Stoke who are going pretty well - and are fighting for a late run into a playoff place.

As Eadie said on Anglia last night - 4 wins from 10 should do it. 4 home games left - If anyone comes away from these games without singing themselves hoarse then they''ll have me to answer to!

I think it''s a good point well made by Worthy.

We''re nearly there, the boys have done so well to entertain us for nearly a whole season, let''s forgive them the recent lack of flowing football and get behind them even if they''re playing terribly. We all want to see great football, but it can''t always be that way.

personally I don''t give a monkeys how the team play as long as we get points on the board, its our year playing like that last night and still winning. I admit that I was venting my frustration but watching a lacklustre Damien Francis who really seemed like he could not be bothered I don''t think I was out of order. However, I never boo. What I will say then is that Nigel obviously doen''t shout at them at half time as they don''t need the bad vibe...........yeah right. We were shocking, the fans want it bad and were edgy, but we needed those points and got them. Being part of the 8000 fans heading to London on Saturday I do not doubt my commitment to the club or support for the team, neither should Nigel

OTBC

I can understand Worthy''s frustration that the crowd was edgy in the first half. However its a two way thing and I think the team need to do something to lift the crowd in situations like that. If I was Worthy, then I''d tell the likes of Huckerby to try and work the crowd a bit as I''m sure that would help the atmosphere. All it takes sometimes is one spark to set the crowd off and a bit of passion directed towards the crowd from the players could just do that.

I think NW has a point. The players were understandably nervous, they are only human after all and there is a great deal at stake here not least £30 miilion. Wher I was sitting every misplaced pass was greeted with a roar of disapproval and I said exactly the same thing to some of the perpetrators at the time. What do they think this achieves. I know this is worse in some areas of the ground than others but it is up to all of us to pull togetehr as Worthy said. See the remakable transformation in the play once we had scored and the burden was lifted.

The ridiculous thing about this is that it was SO predictable. The build up to this game amongst supporters was exactly the same as Watford and Bradford "How many are we gonna win by","Hux is gonna have a field day" blah, blah, blah. The result of this attitude was a large percentage of the crowd turned up (yet again) expecting to be 3-0 up by half-time, and when Gillingham got stuck in and frustrated us (such a suprise!), the moaning starts.

When are some people gonna wake up and smell the coffee? WE ARE NOT THAT GOOD! We have got where we are mainly by working harder and being more committed and consistant than other teams in the league- though with the lack of gratitude on display yesterday they must wonder why they`ve bothered. How anyone can just turn up assuming we are gonna win after all the upsets this season is beyond me. It aint rocket science!

As for a sniper to take out the whingers, i have to admit i was so angry at half-time i would have been all for it! One thing for sure is that these people are not `supporters`. Any true supporter knows that in an important,tight,nervy match the best reaction is to get right behind the team as much as possible, if the players fail to respond THEN there is a genuine reason for moaning. The very WORST thing to do is start moaning and whinging after 10 minutes and a couple of mistakes, and then act all suprised and indignant when the players dont perform and the manager has a go at the crowd!

That''s exactly it Mr Carrow.

If the team turned up expecting to win they would get a blast from the "hairdryer" - if the crowd roll in wondering how many we''re going to score then they need a hairdryer too.

Sorry if you paid your money and you feel you deserve to be treated to "Total football" but really, you know it doesn''t work like that. The team desperately want to please us, perhaps even too desperately after the loss at Cardiff.

It''s not easy, but it''s worth keeping your spirits up - bad feeling spreads very quickly, even down on to the pitch.

Good post Mr Carrow.

We (the crowd) are always a bag of nerves in the crucial games - we need to gee ourselves up a bit. Thise of us in the River End always look to the barclay boys/snake pit to get things going like last nights long version of Worthington''s Army.

Which is why on this occasion, i think NW is a bit out of line here and i understand Silver Fox''s annoyance. I don''t agree with people getting on the players backs but NW can''t blame us for being nervous for goodness sake. Look at what he said...

"They were edgy and they made the players edgy and that just isn''t acceptable."

Well i''m very sorry if it''s unacceptable Nigel but that just comes with the territory mate! You''ve taken the team to the the very verge of promotion for the first time in blah blah after years of abject blah blah - we know the story and there''s no way after that, and with the position we''re in now, that we fans aren''t going to be edgy. Find me a single person on this board who isn''t a bag of nerves right now. That nervousness IS going to come across from the stands i''m afraid between now and May so he and the players are going to have to get used to it!

mr worthy should engage his brain before he opens his mouth . i have and will have spent £3000+on my team this season.i will be a city fan long after he has taken his skills to another club.i really am mad at his unjust comments about the fans last night.if he had done his job right over the past 6 odd games we would not need a pep talk at half time week in week out. we the fans are the club,and we remain the life blood of the club and dont let any body foreget that.and i will be at palace on saturday. hope my team turns up in the first half i will do.thanks one very unhappy fan.

The team were playing ***** first half certain players were giving the ball away far too easily and to be honest like the Ip**** game we lucky to go in at half time 0-0 as I thought the two strikers up front for gills were amoung the best I have seen this season at Norwich pace power and skill.

What does worthy expect ? every fan there in a way expects better from a team who are top of the league and needing the beat the likes of gillingham with ease not give the ball away in midfield and let the visiting team shoot any time they like.

And if they don''t turn up, are you going to help by getting behind them or will you come down on them like a ton of bricks??

It''s a case of which came first, chicken or the egg? If we don''t get behind them, they will be edgy. And DON''T get down on the manager, we''re 12 points clear of third place and heading for the promised land. The "6 odd games" to which you refer we have been beaten once.

I think some supporters can be a bit self-important - the players have given us soooo much to cheer this season, I think it''s a bit unfair that we get techy with one or two bad halves.

a1, Worthington was not having a go at the fans for being nervous but for the way they reacted to it. Is it really inevitable that nervous fans will start to moan and boo after 10 minutes and scream abuse at inexperienced teenaged players? What a sad attitude.

Grinner, the people who should engage their brains are the ones who seemed intent on destroying the players confidence very early in the game last night, rather than a man who has taken us 11 points clear of the play-off places. Such a shame he hasnt been doing his job isnt it.......?! It doesnt matter how much you spend or how many games you`ve been to, if you get on the players backs when you KNOW it can only have a negative effect you cannot call yourself a supporter. If people are going to behave like credulous imbeciles they have got to expect criticism and Worthy,and now Green are spot on.

I am sorry you are so unhappy at City being so successful this season Grinner, but you can always look forward to plenty of City defeats in the Premier to whinge about so keep your chin up eh?

if we are, as has so often been said, the vital 12th player in the team, then we can expect to get rollocked like the others when they dont pull their weight. go worthy

I think that its a catch 22 situation - the fans were tense pre match - even the kids started OTBC was muted - wanting to see the team get back to winning ways - I think the absence of Leon and Drury was a part of that. This tension in the fans came from 2 (now 3) successes game where the team lacked spark in the first half (and the support at those games was first class)

As such the fans tension transmits itself to the team who again seemed inept in the first half - which increases the fans tension who quickly look for a scapegoat - currently Hendo and Francis - although again I think the whole team failed to play inthe first half.

If the tension was bad last night I dread to think what its going be like in a couple of games time as the pressure gets worse!

My view is the club needs everything to play its part on match day - from players to manager to fans - undyingy support in fine voice at the ground followed by constructive criticism on boards like these is what the players need for the next 10 games - we can have our opinion at the game but is it worth it to lose a chance of the premiership??

At the end of the game we played well for about 15 mins last night, got three points and are now 11 pts clear with just 10 to play - game on!

''I think were gonamake it...''

OTBC

I think it''s important that Worthington addresses the fans directly on matters like this. Indignant fans (probably the moaners) can say we were awful, there was a lack of passion, we should beat Gillingham at a canter blah blah blah, but I think the facts speak for themselves here. We are in(lets face it) an astonishingly good position given the extent of most City fans pre-season expectations - just what have this table topping, verge of the Premiership against all odds side done to deserve moaning and booing? I dont see anything wrong with the manager of our side asking maximum support for the last few crucial home games of the season. Put yourself in Worthy''s shoes - wouldnt YOU be hacked off if the moaners don''t cork it when we''re top of the league?????! I think that ANY Norwich side needs and deserves unconditional support - I just wish I could understand the mentality of a "fan" who seems to think that criticism at any time is going to help the players.

The fans, players and management all need to calm down.

Everybody has to accept that we are so close and so much is at stake that things will be said and done that don`t represent the true feelings.
Everybody was edgy because of this important must win game after the Cardiff defeat.

Worthy is no doubt feeling the pressure and will probably say things he doesn`t mean or in the wrong context.

Good news is that I expect tremendous support on Saturday at CP where a victory and other results going our way will make it very difficult for us to not get promoted.

It would be so nice if we could lock in promotion with 5 games to go.
The advantage we have is none of the chasers are looking like world beaters and they will often settle for draws and a playoff place rather than victories which will catch us and West Brom.
With the playoff picture being so tight it actually helps us and west brom

A1,
Spot on,
Have just read his comments in the EEN and after doing a 6am - 1.30am trip to Cardiff
and getting behind them last night it feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth.No-one is more passionate than me about this team,no-one has more faith than me but we are so close and that makes it a bit nerveracking for us all,me included, and this was evident last night..Please dont be so critical Worthy because we are all behind you and the home and away support this season has proved that.

One thing we like about NW is that he talks pretty straight. I respect that.

Let''s not forget one thing. At the end of the day all we have to do is sit in our seats and support the team. We don''t have to go out there and play, we don''t have to try to play a clever flick, a defence splitting pass or stick the ball under the keeper. The players have to do that and they know just as much as we do how close they are and what it means to us and them.

The first half last night was poor, but the solution is not to boo and make a bad situation worse. At times last night you would have got more atmosphere in the morgue although the Barclay tried their best from time to time.

Every game now has more and more pressure, its like 10 mini play off finals.

So as suggested above, if we are the 12th player then lets be a team player and not sulk.

NW is quite right- he and the players knew what was happening and NW himself made a match winning substitution. The last thing they need is for us to get on their backs after such a fantastic position they have given us.

its not a kick in the teeth because worthy is simply pointing out that if you are going to do a 6 - 1.30 trip you might as well watch a win. if the fans actions are putting this in jeopardy by demoralising the team it is only common courtesy that nw should let us know. he sees things from the most important viewpoint and if he identifies something which can be changed to imrove the teams performance i would be disappointed if he didnt bring it to attention

I think that the fact you feel the need to comment on Worthys opinion suggests that we all have our opinion.Everyone has there role at the club from the manager to the supporters.Our role is to support the unquestioned loyalty to Norwich and to the man who is in effect the Papa bear of Carrow road.We all feel the pressure of a possible fall from grace brought on by the Cardiff game and the fact that no team is invincible ,yet I would bet that we don''t feel it half as much as Nigel.When Eadie said on T.V last night that the players can always hear the croud I bet Worthy can feel every dis heartened sigh and feels not just for himself but his players.Not all of us were born to be a politician and not all of us were born to be an outstanding manager.I know where Nigel is blessed.You can''t please all the people all of the time.I bet he still loves us as we love him.
Silver Pup

get your facts right mr carrow,i did not boo a single player in the first half last night.but then again i must say i didnt not get over exicted at the rubbish that was put before us.mr wothington must agree also as he made a sub at half time.and he was aiso going mad at his team from the 2min.but then thats ok for him tovent his anger.