Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Who is Mr Norwich?

When you think of teams there is always one person who epitomises that club. When you go on holiday in your city shirt, you always get a comment of "ah Jeremy Goss!" or "Delia...lets be avin ya" but who is Mr/Mrs Norwich?

For me it has to be Bryan Gunn. To me he is the club. His service to our cause is second to none, he always wore his heart on his sleeve and whenever he kissed his badge you knew he meant it.He has had his up''s and down''s, but the guy is a true gentleman and a total legend. He is''nt my fave player but to me he is MR NORWICH. A true great.

Great move Granty!

You are probably right. And before him Mr. Norwich ws another big hearted Scotsman by the name of Duncan Forbes. Of course if Iwan was still at the club, or if he ever came back in any capacity, he would be another contender.

Not sure who Mr Norwich is, but I know that Mr Carrow can usually be found in the Barclay Stand!

Mr Carrow must be very important as his arrival is always announced on the tannoy, but as he is so busy, his stay is often very short and his departure is announced a few minutes later.

I am sure Mr Norwich is an eminent orthopaedic surgeon in the west country somewhere...

Being "old school" I''d say Geoffrey Watling...but of the living...Dave Stringer or Kevin Keelan.

mr carrow is a message to security that there may be someone causing trouble, if he has not been spotted. when that person either stops causing trouble or is thrown out of the ground mr carrow leaves the stand.

[quote user="Cobain18"]mr carrow is a message to security that there may be someone causing trouble, if he has not been spotted. when that person either stops causing trouble or is thrown out of the ground mr carrow leaves the stand.[/quote]

Well DUH

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]Based on this season probably Peter Thorne - no real form, failure to live up to expectations, lots of injuries and only seen in glimpses![/quote]

Quality

how anyone can consider anyone but Geoffrey Watling is a mystery to me.

he saved our club twice and even after his passing wrote off any debts the club may have owed to his family.

jas :)

[quote user="can u sit down please"]

When you go on holiday in your city shirt...

[/quote]Please don''t do that, it''s just embarrassing for the rest of us!But good question, and i agree, Gunny gets it for me. To have chosen to stay with us and work for the club in a non-football role, probably pretty poorly paid for it as well by the standards of the staff on the football side, shows he is green and yellow to the core. You can see how excited he is to be back involved with the football side again and he deserves that opportunity.

Being a mere 25 I have less to choose from, but for me, as a child, Bryan Gunn was the original footballing hero, and I''m glad he''s now more involved on the playing side...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

how anyone can consider anyone but Geoffrey Watling is a mystery to me.

he saved our club twice and even after his passing wrote off any debts the club may have owed to his family.

[/quote]

You are right jas. But people will always identify with players before they do Managers and Chairmen. And it''s right that they should because it''s the players we go to see. So for me Mr. Norwich has to be an ex player who stayed at the club in another capacity. It''s a hard choice between Duncan Forbes, Bryan Gunn and Dave Stringer.

Geoffrey Watling saved the club twice just as you say but football fans are fickle and always blame the Board when things aren''t going well. You are probably way too young to remember the zigger zigger chanting in the late 60''s. Disgraceful though it was!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Geoffrey Watling saved the club twice just as you say but football fans are fickle and always blame the Board when things aren''t going well. You are probably way too young to remember the zigger zigger chanting in the late 60''s. Disgraceful though it was!

[/quote]

NN, what was the deal with the zigger zigger chanting? I''ve seen it mentioned a few times, but alas I think I''m too young to know...

It wouldn''t happen now mbncfc. But back then racist chants were acceptable in society as a whole. I remember being about 10/11 and the kids chanted it in the school playground, probably many of them didn''t even know who Watling was.

Zigger zigger zigger Watling is a ...

work it out for yourself.

Disgraceful!

Sickening Chants there NN... i am too young to have heard them thankfully! i hope those individuals concerned got a very sharp fist to the face for their ignorance!

Im glad to say that, since my first game in 1991.. our fans have been immaculately behaved... theres always the odd dim wit but they soon get sounded down by those that know better.

It wouldn''t happen now mbncfc. But back then racist chants were acceptable in society as a whole. I remember being about 10/11 and the kids chanted it in the school playground, probably many of them didn''t even know who Watling was.

Zigger zigger zigger Watling is a ...

work it out for yourself.

Disgraceful!

[/quote]

Thanks NN. I had an idea of the chant, just didn''t realise it had been directed at him...

Disgraceful indeed.

I''ve been trundling through the internet, with little luck sadly, trying to find full details of GW''s life in the football club. I know he saved the club twice from administration, but was there a point when he wasn''t liked by the City faithful?... (just curious) - anyone know/could enlighten me? 

Jas

Ignorance is the right way to describe it. Us kids were ignorant at that time. Sadly some people of my generation are still ignorant now having been unable to open their own minds from the example they were set as kids. Thankfully we don’t hear racist stuff at Carrow Road anymore but there are still things accepted at football matches that would be unacceptable in other places. The personal stuff is out of order when you think about it. We often hear oppo fans singing stuff like “Delia takes it up….”. I have also noticed that bad language seems to be tolerated more at Carrow Road than other grounds. I sit (stand) in the Lower Barclay and am as guilty of this as anyone, but where our fans chant “**** off, you might as well **** off” fans at some other clubs just sing “go home” to the same chant. At Wolves Moxey actually banned The Liquidator being played before matches because of the bad language it encouraged yet at the same time the playing of Daydream Believer at Carrow Road was never questioned.

Don''t get me wrong, I''m not advocating what should happen here, these are just observations.

mbncfc

I was only a kid in the 60’s and there are posters on here who will remember better than me. When I first started going to games the atmosphere was quite flat. The 59 Cup Run and promotion the next season seemed to have lifted expectations and by the mid-sixties it was as though the club was slipping back. (A bit like now?) Lol Morgan was the manager and he wasn’t popular, Geoffrey Watling also seemed to be a target for the fans displeasure. Us kids didn’t really understand about Chairmen and Managers, we were only interested in the players. I think Geoffrey Watling finally sacked Morgan and recruited Ron Saunders from Oxford. With hindsight this was a great appointment but at the time I remember fans having plenty of misgivings about it. And to be fair some of the football we were playing was dire. However, once Saunders got it right and we won promotion to the top flight for the first time ever it was all forgotten.

In the seventies Watling was replaced as Chairman by Arthur South, I can’t remember exactly what happened but I think it coincided with the start of John Bonds era, and what an exciting time that was!!!

Jas

Ignorance is the right way to describe it. Us kids were ignorant at that time. Sadly some people of my generation are still ignorant now having been unable to open their own minds from the example they were set as kids. Thankfully we don’t hear racist stuff at Carrow Road anymore but there are still things accepted at football matches that would be unacceptable in other places. The personal stuff is out of order when you think about it. We often hear oppo fans singing stuff like “Delia takes it up….”. I have also noticed that bad language seems to be tolerated more at Carrow Road than other grounds. I sit (stand) in the Lower Barclay and am as guilty of this as anyone, but where our fans chant “**** off, you might as well **** off” fans at some other clubs just sing “go home” to the same chant. At Wolves Moxey actually banned The Liquidator being played before matches because of the bad language it encouraged yet at the same time the playing of Daydream Believer at Carrow Road was never questioned.

Don''t get me wrong, I''m not advocating what should happen here, these are just observations.

mbncfc

I was only a kid in the 60’s and there are posters on here who will remember better than me. When I first started going to games the atmosphere was quite flat. The 59 Cup Run and promotion the next season seemed to have lifted expectations and by the mid-sixties it was as though the club was slipping back. (A bit like now?) Lol Morgan was the manager and he wasn’t popular, Geoffrey Watling also seemed to be a target for the fans displeasure. Us kids didn’t really understand about Chairmen and Managers, we were only interested in the players. I think Geoffrey Watling finally sacked Morgan and recruited Ron Saunders from Oxford. With hindsight this was a great appointment but at the time I remember fans having plenty of misgivings about it. And to be fair some of the football we were playing was dire. However, once Saunders got it right and we won promotion to the top flight for the first time ever it was all forgotten.

In the seventies Watling was replaced as Chairman by Arthur South, I can’t remember exactly what happened but I think it coincided with the start of John Bonds era, and what an exciting time that was!!!

[/quote]

Cheers for that NN - much appreciated [Y]

And your points for Jas are well made too...

Mr Norwich? Why, it''s my hubby Norm. We''ve been married for 48 years and he''s in the front room now, wearing his battered old slippers, smoking his favourite old pipe in his favourite old armchair and getting ready to have a moan to Neil Adams in tonights Canary Call. He hasn''t been to a match for years.