Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

NORWICH POISED TO SIGN NEIL HARRIS?

HEARD FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE THIS MORNING (CAN''T SAY OTHERWISE HE COULD GET IN TROUBLE) THAT WE ARE CLOSE TO SIGNING NEIL HARRIS FROM NOTTS FOREST ON LOAN, DON''T KNOW HOW LONG FOR.

ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIM, OR HOW GOOD HE IS?

Here''s his wiki :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Harris

Neil Harris born on July 12, 1977 in Orsett Essex England, is a professional footballer who currently plays for Nottingham Forest as a striker.

His football career began at Cambridge City. He was later sold to Millwall for £30,000 on March 26, 1999. In the same season, he was named player of the year for Millwall and later helped them to a Division 2 championship in 2000-01 with a remarkable goal scoring record. Harris was the Golden Boot winner for being the top English goal scorer during the 2000/01 season. By the end of his Millwall career, Harris wasn''t being played because the then player-manager Dennis Wise didn''t believe he was up to par, and that led him to sign for Cardiff City on loan to prove he was good enough for first team football at Millwall. Unfortunately, Harris was unable to prove himself and was subsequently sold to Nottingham Forest for an undisclosed fee after they were relegated to Football League One in the 2004-05 season. He was unable to make an impact at the City Ground and so was loaned out to Gillingham who had also been relegated to League One at the same time as Nottingham Forest.

He scored 6 goals for Gillingham during his season long loan spell, at the end of which he returned to Forest, hoping to make an impact under new manager Colin Calderwood. Neil''s old club Millwall made a loan deal for Harris on a 6 month loan deal in August 2006, however Harris rejected the offer saying if he were to move it would be on a permanant basis, and due to the likes of Darren Byfield & Ben May returning from injury throughout the season for Millwall, Neil would of once again been forced out the side which first made him leave The New Den therefore Millwall withdrew from transfer negotiations. He finally opened his goal-scoring account for Forest on the 2nd September 2006 after 21 months of waiting in a 4-0 victory against Chesterfield. It was a cutely struck volley from a few yards out. He and his team mates joy was clear to see in his celebration, as he ran towards the corner of the stadium and didn''t look as though he would stop, until his team mates caught up. In the post match report, he admitted he was finally enjoying life at Nottingham Forest.

• In 2001, Harris was diagnosed with testicular cancer but after intensive treatment including surgery, was given the all clear a year later.[1]

• Harris is Millwall''s joint top league goal scorer along with Teddy Sheringham, each having scored 93 league goals for the club. In May 2006 he told the South London Press: "I am delighted to have equalled Teddy''s record, whatever people say about him he''s a superstar. I''m very proud to be in the record books of a club I love so dearly".

Forest are going well and he cant get a game.. says all that needs to be said to me...

His record is impressive i''ll admit. But the fact he is playing in league 1 and not in the championship/premiership where we should be aiming says it all

jas :)

A terrific player at Millwall and is their joint highest ever league goalscorer (with Teddy Sheringham).  However that was 5/6 years ago and his record in the last couple of years for Forest is pretty poor.

Lets not be so quick to write him off, based on his past success at Millwall I think he is worth a gamble.  Watford did a similar thing when they signed Marlon King last season and we all know how that worked out.  Besides its only a loan so what have we got to lose.

29 years old and probably his last chance to get into the Championship unless Forest get promoted. He could be just the sort of striker we need to play alongside Earnie.

Can the Pinkun or someone get a club comment or something with the latest on Harris?

As hucks is out, I agree that Jarvis should be given a long enough stint in the first team to prove that he is good enough to stay here, although a loan forward wouldn''t be a downer either, after Earnie and Jarvis we are really struggling up front for depth. To be honest the whole team is struggling, I said a while back that if 3 players are ruled out for any lengthy period of time we''ve had it.

All I know is that he 29 and 5''11" has played for Milwall and Gillingham.

If you find out anymore please post the details.

Thanks

Forest are on a roll  , and its reasonable to assume  Harris can`t get a look in  right now !   the way I see it  ,  he`s already got some pedigree   ,   he`s playing in league  one ,    somewhere along the line it all went tits up for him ,  the way I see it ,  the club that offers him   a chance  to prove himself again  , will be the club   that sees the best of him   !      git him ! 

I agree time to give Jarvis an extended run.  It seems to me that what the lad needs most of all are full games.

It would be interesting to know how many full games Jarvis has played since his debut at Walsall in 2003.

Thats a question for the stattos on here.

Harris has not found his form since he recovered from illness and is simply not good enough to play at Norwich.  There are other options from the premiership:  Carlton Cole?  we should also look at Lee Clark - he has recently left Newcastle and is available on a free. 

[quote user="charlies dad"]Theme developing here... Richard Harris anybody?[/quote]

Always likely to produce a bit of magic!

There''s always Ed Harris as well.