Gary Doherty should lead the team as a reward for his improvement in fitness and performance.  Once incapable of getting in the team and described as unfit, he''s a core part of our defense. And he''s the player of the year after all.

You would had thought that Worthy would know by now who his captain was going to be, he has all summer to make up his mind, hasn''t he?

I''d give the arm band to Shackell.

I agree - give it to Shackle, although he''s relatively inexperienced. Central defender is a good place for a captain, as they have said about John Terry for England, - you get a good perspective and all-round view.

When he first came into the team, there was no-one to lead the defence and he quickly began to shout at players out of position. Later on he was not so vocal. Had somone leant on him?

I remember this question last summer - I put my vote with Shackell then and I stick with my choice!

Rock solid when coming into the team towards of the Prem campaign and

seeing Flem and an experienced defence being marshalled by a mere slip

of a lad was fun to see!

But what are the odds on Worthy doing this? In fact, it wouldn''t

surprise me if Worthy finally puts faith in Colin or Spillane at RB and

simply shifts Flem back into the centre!

Id not go for shackell (yet) its a big responsibility to put on the shoulders of what still is a young player learning his trade (1 for the future captain for me)

Doc for me is too quiet, but a likely candidate.

For me it would be Hucks, not afraid to tell his teammates if something needs fixing, leads by example, and I actually believe the responsibility might give him a new impetus.

Difficult to see any other obvious candidates

Drury (maybe a lucky charm)?

[quote]

Id not go for shackell (yet) its a big responsibility to put on the shoulders of what still is a young player learning his trade (1 for the future captain for me)

Doc for me is too quiet, but a likely candidate.

For me it would be Hucks, not afraid to tell his teammates if something needs fixing, leads by example, and I actually believe the responsibility might give him a new impetus.

Difficult to see any other obvious candidates

Drury (maybe a lucky charm)?[/quote]

I agree Huckerby has to be the choice for me, he''s vocal, intellegent, passionate for the club, knows the game well and would make a good leader.

The Doc is too quiet, I feel Shack could become a very good captain one day but probably too soon right now, as for the rest, there just doesn''t appear to be a real leader amongst them, oh dear! but then Worthy doesn''t like players with a bit of character does he?Oh Malky where art thou? PS. Does Malky have a younger brother prepared to play a bit of hoof football? if so sign him up!!

We need someone with leadership skills - and simply giving to Doc because he was player of the season is non-sensical!

The only players who demonstrate leadership skills are Hooooghes and Shacks - give it to the youngster.

I''m going to get my butt kicked for saying this I know but assuming he will be a regular next season, I would say Hughes.

Not the best player in the squad, that much is obvious. He is a natural leader though. He is a big voice in the changing room and a big voice out on the pitch. He does also back this up with 100% commitment. Forgetting his lack of ability for one moment, he is a good example of a commited player.

I''m going to shut my eyes now and wait for the barrage of ''are you crazy?'' comments.

I see where youre coming from Yellow Rages, but i personally wouldnt. Yes, his commitment lies with NCFC, thats unquestionable, but i think we have to give it to someone who has lots of years behind him, someone with quality, and an equal amount of commitment to the club. Yes, my vote would be for young Shackell, though with Worthless in charge, it''ll go to Hughes or Robinson, god help this club....

I would say give Drury again, because he will be the first team regular for sure, also, he was the lucky cham! :)

Does it matter??

Leaders will always emerge whether formally appointed or not.  I don''t understand the ballyhoo about football captains.  Who cares if Beckham resigns?? What did he ever do on the pitch to lead the team apart from head the procession on to the pitch?   Unlike cricket or rugby, the football captain has no special role after the toss-up and with the introduction of technical areas, it is the coaches who run the game.

Forbes, Peters and Butterworth were leaders whether they were captain or not.  Malky and Iwan led together irrespective of who was the captain.

What we need is more character and leadership in the team. Full stop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cambridge Canary has got it spot on. I said a similar thing in a thread regarding the England captaincy but here at Norwich we do not have the same criteria of leaders as Sven had at his disposal(and still he managed to balls it up)

If someone has to have the armband I would say give it to Shackell. He is the closest thing we have on the pitch to a John Terry/Tony Adams personality. The argument against is obviously his age and experience which is a fair point but I say If he is good enough he is old enough. Also around him he has people like Flem. The Doc and Drury who I am sure would back him up. Elsewhere on the pitch leaders are few and far between with only Andy Hughes being the candidate but unfortunatily his ability does not come close to his enthusiasm.

I wonder if Gunny would consider coming out of retirement!