Sign in to follow this  
Hampshire Yella

Worthington fails to speak to injured Green....

Green ruptures his groin, misses the World Cup and, three weeks after it has happened, his manager says "I haven''t had a chance to speak to Robert yet because I have only just returned from holiday but I know where he is at."

What sort of manager is he that he does not contact one of the Club''s most loyal players in his hour of need? If I was Robert Green I would be mightily upset at this total lack of consideration.

No matter where Worthington was on the planet he could have got to a phone.

No wonder when players leave they complain about Worthington''s management style.

The Board surely cannot think think that this is an example of good management. Can they?

The man is an utter fool even to admit that he hasn''t spoken to him!!

"I was out of the country when it happened - I didn''t find out until I got a call about it. First and foremost I was hugely disappointed for Robert because he was so close to getting on the plane to go to the finals. But as we all know football can be a cruel game and it''s like the rubber ball, you have always got to be ready to bounce back. The challenge now for Robert is to do just that - and then start moving forward again."

To be fair that is what he said, not what you suggested.  However it is still not good enough he should have been watching the game with interest as it was one of his employees playing for his country.

It sums him up perfectly, he''s just incompetent and thick... Why does he always state the obvious, making out its some intelligent point that no-one else can work out... it does my head in![8o|]

I suppose Greeno has to earn the right to be called by his manager and needs to work harder to warrant it and also do less roy of the rovers antics whilst he was stuck on the ground injured............................................

''Hasn''t been able to speak to him yet'' despite being kept up to date with the situation... So he''s able to speak to other people at the club about him. What''s stopping him calling Greenie himself?

I know for a fact that many of the players think that he''s a joke and cannot stand him. In fact, there''s a bit of a clique of Worthy''s ''pets'' and then there''s the rest of them...

What a disgrace that man is.  He can pick up a phone anywhere in the world and he must have had his mobile with him .  He has let the club down once again with his lack of man management, Delia, get him out now, if I was Greenie I''d refuse to play for him when he is fit as his face obviously doesn''t fit.

You "know for a fact" do you All In Yellow?

Dare we ask how, or will we just get a mystical "my neighbour''s cousin''s daughter''s father''s nephew''s dog once shared a kennell with the dog of one of the sisters of the housemaid of Nigel Worthington''s mother"?

I''ve only been able to get to the board sporadically for the last few weeks. Hampshire Yella? Is that you PR/CJF? Anyway, I couldn''t agree more with this point - it is pretty disgraceful!

I wonder how much Worthington has to do with Green ''wanting out'' over the last year or so...?

Give Nigel the benefit of the doubt ,   the phrase "  havent had the chance to talk to Robert yet "   could easily mean like face to face !  

Its hard to imagine that  he would have ignored one of his players  when he was badly injured 

Direct quote from the article:

"Worthington''s thoughts were also with last season''s undisputed No.1 yesterday as he announced Paul Gallacher''s new two-year contract.

Robert Green is now recuperating at home after undergoing surgery on the heartbreaking groin injury that ruled him out of England''s World Cup squad - and the manager was happy to report that his recovery was going very much to plan.

If everything continues to go well Green should be back in action some time in October and the City boss commented: "I haven''t had a chance to speak to Robert yet because I have only just returned from holiday but I know where he is at. He is making good progress as we speak and hopefully he will recover sooner rather than later.

"I was out of the country when it happened - I didn''t find out until I got a call about it. First and foremost I was hugely disappointed for Robert because he was so close to getting on the plane to go to the finals. But as we all know football can be a cruel game and it''s like the rubber ball, you have always got to be ready to bounce back. The challenge now for Robert is to do just that - and then start moving forward again."

As for the latest on the transfer front Worthington assured fans once again that work was ongoing, with his labours likely to bear fruit in the not-too-distant future."

He didnt speak to Greeno after the injury and he wasn''t watching the England game Greeno came on in! A very poor show indeed for a Norwich City manager.  How much football does our manager watch anyway? Not a lot if recent signings are anything to go by.

[quote user="Hampshire Yella"]

Direct quote from the article:

If everything continues to go well Green should be back in action some time in October and the City boss commented: "I haven''t had a chance to speak to Robert yet because I have only just returned from holiday but I know where he is at. He is making good progress as we speak and hopefully he will recover sooner rather than later.

[/quote]

Sorry for some reason I completely misread the article

It''s easy to criticise when you don''t know the personalities involved, or the way that the club is run.

What would you do if you were Worthington ?  And how does it differ from your perception of what has occured ?

It seems to me that all a manager can do in those circumstances is arrange for the appropriate medical treatment, maybe give Greeno a call if they are mates.  Are you close to all your work colleagues ?  Or are some acquaintances ?

Do you not feel the need to switch off from work sometimes, Hampshire ?  After the mediocre performances, constant barracking and pressure from fans of last season, quite frankly I don''t blame the bloke for having a break for a couple of weeks.

Jack Charlton was convinced that Sir Alf Ramsey didn''t like him, they only spoke once or twice if I recall the documentary I was watching on the 66 World Cup correctly.  But Jack was part of a World Cup winning side.  Does that make Sir Alf a bad manager ?

But Sir Alf Ramsey still picked him because he was the best player for that role.

Nigel.....  well, I don''t need to comment on his favorites in the face of obvious better choices these last two years.

Surely the other point worth noting from thast quote of Worthy''s is "i''ve only just returned from holiday." Bearing in mind he was speaking earlier this week that means he has been away for the best part of a month and after the season we have just had and with the importance of next season to NCFC I find that incredible.

Sheded!! nice to see a bit of realism.  I really don''t know what all the fuss is about.  Not a nice thing to happen to Green, but he''s young, and his injury could have been far more serious, and on a mercenery note he will be well paid and and have the best of treatment, during a convalescence, that will not be available to many of his fans were they so indisposed.

Hahahaha this makes me laugh.

Worthington was told by phone about it as he was on holliday - this means he probably asked whoever it was to pass on his regards. What more would you want him to do? Fly back and sit and watch paint dry?

Lets face it he could call up and say unlucky chap - I really thought you would do well as Englands number three!! Seriously what a cop out.

As for him being away meaning that nothing will happen whilst he isnt here - again rubbish. If a break through was made he would be on the phone calling them and then come back to seal it off.

Having said that I dont think he has been away for a month if you look at when press comments have been released. Not unless there is infact a true conspiracy theory here that involves a double to stand in whilst he is away and infact Worthington wasnt here for most of last season and came back to rescue us after christmas!!!

Just sums Worthy up really doesnt it?

unbelieveablethat he doesnt evern care about his players...

I remember when Jarrett went on loan to Plymouth and Worthless didnt even use his name.. just referreds to him as "the player".

jas:)

i believe people need a proper break and shouldn''t be disturbed on holiday for little reason - but the injury to greeno is a major blow to city - surely he was on his way out and his sale would have comprised a large slice of worthy''s transfer budget, if not all of it.  in these circumstances, if i was a football manager i''d like to be told about it pronto.  if worthy wasn''t told straight away, then i find this to be alarming because of what it says - as much people thought when the west brom chairman went on his caribbean holiday during their relegation battle.  obviously, we don''t know the full story, but if true - this doesn''t reflect well on worthy and his man management skills.

[quote user="Death of Canaries"]

You "know for a fact" do you All In Yellow?

Dare we ask how, or will we just get a mystical "my neighbour''s cousin''s daughter''s father''s nephew''s dog once shared a kennell with the dog of one of the sisters of the housemaid of Nigel Worthington''s mother"?

[/quote]

Whenever someone has some ''info'' they are always mocked, yet some of what is written from some posters does prove correct sometimes.

You have to accept that some do have sources and they would be an absolute fool to reveal them or word things in an identical manner. I acknowledge though that some just like to feel important. Take things at face value and remember to a certain extent who said what and what happens. A mental note will help you decide what is true and what isnt to a slightly increased degree of accuracy. You also have to remember that the club may have targetting 5 players for a particular role. A source may reveal 4, but the fifth one is bought, it doesnt make the original rumour surrounding 4 of the players wrong even though it may appear so.

Not sure I like your tone there... You''ve posted a lot on this site, so must spend a lot of time on here.... I''ve said several times that I know a few of the players. So no, it''s not your hilarious long winded ''mystical'' link.

[quote user="All in yellow"]Not sure I like your tone there... You''ve

posted a lot on this site, so must spend a lot of time on

here.... I''ve said several times that I know a few of the players.

So no, it''s not your hilarious long winded ''mystical'' link.[/quote]

Calm down, love, it was just a question... I''m sure you can understand

my cynicism given the amount of people on here who claim to know things

as fact when they''re just guessing... I don''t actually post all that

often, so can''t recall any conversations with your good self about such

things in the past.

Forgive me if I choose to withold judgement...

I would agree with all those who have criticised Worthless for his uncaring, almost callous attitude, as regards Greeno and what must have been a deeply upsetting and very painful injury for him. This should add to a growing list of black marks against the man and another good reason to terminate his contract as soon as possible. I should have thought a good manager in any sport or business  should at least put on a show of sympathy when an employee has problems, regardless of whether that show is genuine or not.

Depends, if Worthy didnt know about it then how could he have said anything.

People have criticized him for not watching the match, but so what? He isnt English... It wouldnt have made a difference to the club if he came back from holiday and read about Greens performance in the game, or heard about it from one of the coaches who would have watched it. So he had no duty to watch his player playing as far as im concerned.

But yes if he had known about it for a while then he should have done all he could to get in touch.

[quote user="stephen nobbs"]I would agree with all those who have criticised Worthless for his uncaring, almost callous attitude, as regards Greeno and what must have been a deeply upsetting and very painful injury for him. This should add to a growing list of black marks against the man and another good reason to terminate his contract as soon as possible. I should have thought a good manager in any sport or business  should at least put on a show of sympathy when an employee has problems, regardless of whether that show is genuine or not.[/quote]This is funny. Chinese whispers indeed. Its gone from not speaking directly to Green for a period of up to a week or so at most to effectively "abusing" him as a player!My word how the world evolves around any shadow that can be cast on a person who is the scapegoat of many and supported by the honest.Strange indeed it is that one summer, a failure in Cardiff was saluted by many, questioned by none with the knowledge of the lack of resources made up by the commitment passion and guile of our club managed to get us somewhere that could not have happened under anyone previous.Its a shame those days have gone, when the crowd was bouyant, happy in the knowledge that at least we were premiership contenders rather than division one strugglers. In the seasons since we have suddenly become Champions league expectants wanting prawn sandwitches and caviar instead of the sausage rolls and steak and kidney pies at half time.Well bar humbug to you, thats what I say.

Chicken, if you are going to quote me, then at least make your response slightly relevant to what I have written. If you can''t, then just go off and have a good cluck around the farmyard. I don''t recall ever having accused Worthless of abusing Greeno. No, I just accused him of a lack of sympathy and a somewhat detatched attitude towards the player. It all depends on your interpretation of his statements, and to a degree,  whether you like him or not I suppose. I shall stick to my original interpretation and no matter what you say, you will not change my mind.

A good friend of mine told me that when they last spoke to Green, around the time when he was ''injured'' in the last few games of the season, that he would, and I quote:

'' ...Rather have pins stuck in his eyes, than play for Norwich City again...''

Plus he doesn''t like Worthington either, though I don''t know if this is a personal or professional opinion. Maybe they just don''t get on very well, who knows?

Rob has clearly had enough, but I don''t want to hear all this '' what a loyal servant Green has been etc. etc.'' He is not happy and has wanted out for some time. He should be sold at the earliest oppertunity for all concerned - injury or no injury.