Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

If Worthy got sacked, would you thank him for what he has done?

Just made a post on this topic, but thought Id start a thread on it. Mainly aimed at the people that want Worthy out (Yes including me before anyone says anything)

Say tomorrow he got sacked, would you either think: -

A - Good Riddance.

B - Good, but thanks for the memories.

C - We just lost a good manager, but he has gone stale and needed a change.

D - Im upset we have lost him.

Basically on the other thread people have summed up his time here, from my perspective the years he has been manager have been far better than anything else Ive seen. Ive been a season ticket since we got originally relegated, and endured four/five years of absolute rubbish before Worthy came along. As someone said elsewhere on that thread our attendance has gone up from 16k to 24k, Carrow road has had a great atmosphere between 01-02 and 04-05, and we have seen some pretty damn good players (Earnshaw, Hucks, Ashton, Green) And before anyone goes on about Andy Hughes, well all I have to say is Derveld/De Waard/Brady/Coote etc. Players who I consider far worse than Hughes.

Under Worthy Ive been to Cardiff, Seen us win the division, seen us in the premiership, and lots of other things I could not have imagined happening the day we appointed him.

I want him gone. But if he goes, Ill be one of the first to thank him for everything, even if others dont.

By the way the thread I mentioned throughout the post can be found here, http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/683463/ShowPost.aspx

C I think. He is a decent manager at this level, but his limitations are obvious, and these last two seasons he has got almost every managerial decision wrong.  I am sure he could do a good job at another championship club that is underacheiving.  I doubt he will win another title however.

Average manager - did very well for a couple of seasons but his shortfalls were always there to see. Had he gone at Christmas it would have been thanks for what you''ve done but you''re time is up - now I will be elated the day he finally leaves.

No way he can be said to be "far better that any manager i''ve ever seen" although I recognise I may be older than you so in your case it may be true). Brown, Walker, Stringer, O''Neill and I would say rioch were all better managers who given the backing and reseources he has had would have done as well, if not better than Worthy.

I think its telling that you refer to the fact that "he took us to the premiership" is something you could not have imagined. Why not? For at least half of my years watching norwich we have been a top flight club so i do not see why it is so unreasonable to expect us to be up there again. I often thought that at the end of last season that we have a generation of fans at Carrow Road now who still support Worthy as they view him as some sort of god for taking us to the premiership as they were not around in the late eighties/early nineties when top half prem finishes were almost expected.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]C I think. He is a decent manager at this level, but his limitations are obvious, and these last two seasons he has got almost every managerial decision wrong.  I am sure he could do a good job at another championship club that is underacheiving.  I doubt he will win another title however.[/quote]

Yeah I would go along with all that. Its a shame he cant spot and correct his weaknesses, he would be a far better manager for it. And as you say Im sure he could do a good job elsewhere.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I think its telling that you refer to the fact that "he took us to the premiership" is something you could not have imagined. Why not? For at least half of my years watching norwich we have been a top flight club so i do not see why it is so unreasonable to expect us to be up there again. I often thought that at the end of last season that we have a generation of fans at Carrow Road now who still support Worthy as they view him as some sort of god for taking us to the premiership as they were not around in the late eighties/early nineties when top half prem finishes were almost expected.

[/quote]

Nope to be honest on days in the late nineties, playing the likes of Bury and Tranmere, and struggling to finish in the top half I did think that if we were going to a move a division it was probably going to be down. So the premiership was but a distant dream for me at that point, I know in the 80''s/90''s we expected top half in the prem, but times had changed unfortuanetly.

And I dont think Worthy is some sort of god, and I certainly dont support him right now, but definitely appreciate the efforts in the past. Infact judging by this message board and the crowd you will struggle to find anyone who likes worthy quite that much!

Jim - Forgot to add. In my time as a season ticket holder yes Worthy has been the best. You say he has had the financial backing, but he didnt have much to begin with. Much of the money we now have has been generated by Larger Attendances, the Cardiff trip, the premiership etc. So although he has wasted far too much money this season, it could be argued that his success earnt the money in the first place.

And I agree O Neill and Rioch are better managers, but things didnt work out for them here, and as such I have practically no memories of their time here whatsoever!

If he was sacked tomorrow I would have to say B. However if he leaves his much awaited departure too long I cant say i''d be feeling to friendly towards him.

B - Good/about time would be the comment to the board and now the club can use nigels past successes as a spring board to take us forward again.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]A. Sorry Trent, I just loathe the arrogant man.[/quote]

And with those words, you have perfectly described how many posters feel about yourself.

You couldn''t make it up.....

Trent - sorry I was not in any way having a go at you if it came across like that. i am just interested to see the categories of people who  hold different views on Worthington. The Worthy out brigade were very much portrayed as being a bunch of kids at one point but if my experiances at matches are to go by it is the younger generation of our fans who have more time for him (even if many now have decided that it is time to go). I think this is simply a product of the fact that, as you say, they are comparing things with the dark days of the mid to late 90s. My generation (those who grew up on the qulity sides of the mid eighties to early nineties) tend to be more fiercely critical, parhaps as we hark back to those days.

I was very interested though to see how many of the older generation of fans don''t rate him as well though (evident at the public meeting). They tend to hark back to managers even I can''t recall!

For what its worth i agree he did well initially and should get some credit for that - the first two years what was required was to get the team playing with effort and committment and to bring in some players who would get stuck in. That is worthy''s strength. Tactically though he always looked suspect but he got away with it until we went up to the prem.

Unfortunately though as happened with Holt he should have gone a while back when fans would have been able to thank him gracefully and remember the good times. Unfortunately thanks to Delia''s stubborness and Worthy''s comments I can''t see how that will happen now!

B Or C.

I would certainly be pleased if he left, but i would realise he has brought some good times to this club. I am undecided whether he has just gone stale or whether he had 1 good year and that was it. Some of his decisions the last 18 months have been awful, yet when we went up he could do no wrong.

So in summary, if he left i would probably say

"good, we need a change, but it isnt entirely your fault and also thanks for the good times, best of luck in the future"

Jim - I do agree. I think there will be three types of fan: -

A - Those who have been around for a while, seen our success and expect more.

B - Those who joined between relegation in 94/95 and Cardiff. There are probably arent that many of us, but we had seen absolutely nothing before Worthy.

C - Those who joined Post-Cardiff, or during the title winning season. They have only seen relative success and will probably be annoyed at things and/or not come back to Carrow Road until we do well again.

Im sure there are many examples of people who dont fit those, but you would expect that to be a rough estimation.

As you say, i feel he deserves a lot of credit for what he did in the first three and a bit years. He got the credit at the time, but A lot of people seem to have forgotten. Im sure many of his most ardent critics on here were chanting "Nigel Worthingtons a football genius" outside city hall with everyone else. IMO we had a rubbish team when he came in, and took what I thought was a very average team to the playoffs. But also as you say, ive always had the lingering doubt about his tactics and signings.

And finally, again as you say Its a shame that when he goes many people will probably forget the good times he has brought. Whether thats the fans fault or his fault is down to however you feel when it happens.

And even if it hasnt matched the glory years in the early nineties, I still think 01/02 to 03/04 was pretty damn good.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

B Or C.

I would certainly be pleased if he left, but i would realise he has brought some good times to this club. I am undecided whether he has just gone stale or whether he had 1 good year and that was it. Some of his decisions the last 18 months have been awful, yet when we went up he could do no wrong.

So in summary, if he left i would probably say

"good, we need a change, but it isnt entirely your fault and also thanks for the good times, best of luck in the future"

[/quote]

Very Well put Matt. Sums up my feelings too.

AHe should have left with a bit of dignity when you could look back and say he did a good job but a new person can take us forward. He''s dragging us down and when he leaves, it''ll be bitter.

It would be a B for me, and I have 30+ years following City so I am comparing him with others back to the days of John Bond.

He has too many limitations for me to rate him highly. I was as glad as everyone that he got us promoted, but that was against expectation and I had nagging doubts that the side he created was resilient enough for the Prem. As I mentioned on another thread I think he happaned upon a winning combination with Hux etc in that promotion year but that he himself destroyed the foundations of the squad with too much chopping and changing.

Worthy is a short term reactionary except where his favourites (like Holt, Hughes) are concerned. He rips the side apart, expects them to gel together then when that doesn''t work gets in loanees and spends more money thereby creating more uncertainty and destabilisation. That is an extremely bad way of going about building a team- even more so when he then says we need to get a settled side when its he himself who has failed to create one!

I am not sure even in that promotion season that he generated much "connection" with the fans in the way that Bond, Brown and Walker did and also Stringer in his own understated way.

i''d say a mix of b & c for me.there''s no doubt worthy had his moment - and the sight of drury lifting the cup on the balcony of city hall is now immortalised as a screensaver on my pc - pure magic.  although i believe worthy failed to cut the mustard in the prem and last season''s disappointment was evident for all, i would still wish the guy well wherever he ended up and thank him for the job he did at city.  make no mistake, we''re in a better posi than when he arrived.  worthy is still a good manager in my view, but not top drawer, the goodun''s always turn it around and in convincing fashion - they have the ability to recreate success when the ingredients appear lost.  our football didn''t convince me last season, on occasions it was woeful - enough for me to conclude worthy had lost the plot. using the same rationale in which he dispatched malky:  thanks for the loyalty and 100% service and commitment you''ve given to the cause of NCFC, but in order for the club to forward forward - you''re fired.

A - GOOD RIDANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The most overated manager in citys history, lets face it we got lucky 2 years ago with huckerby signing{we would not have gone up if he hadnt come}poor man managment, tries to defend leads rather than score more,poor tactics, poor motivational skills, poor signings, an obsession with loans, gone backwards severly in 2 years,6-0 fulham drubbing most embarrssing relegation scap attempt in premiership history,all managers have there players fired up for games like fulham and we got mullered,signed andy hughes,let go of malky and iwan way too early,released edworthy-best right back since culverhouse, no passion, pathetic excuses, uses every football cliche in the book, no player confidence in him, shall i go on?????????????????

perfect example-since the age of 5 when i started playing football i was always tought you never make a change when you defend a set piece,play off final in cardiff,1-0 up,birmingham freekick what happens?worthy makes as sub-brum score,i knew not to do that at infant school,the man has no clue!!!!

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

I am not sure even in that promotion season that he generated much "connection" with the fans in the way that Bond, Brown and Walker did and also Stringer in his own understated way.

[/quote]

That''s a very good point about connecting with the fans.  Mike Walker didn''t appear to be the most outgoing person, but we must have cheered his name solidly for a quarter of an hour in the ground after the second leg of the Inter game. 

Even afterwards when Deehan and Megson were making pigs ears of things was there any hostility towards them?  They needed to be relieved of their duties - subsequently they were and everyone got on with life.

Worthington however appears to have a disdain for the fans and I think that therein lies the problem.  Had he been a bit more honest about some of the performaces towards the end of the season rather make up hopeless excuses, there would be less animosity towards him.

So it''s a B, just.

[quote user="Rob Newman Football Genius"][quote user="Tumbleweed"]

[/quote]

That''s a very good point about connecting with the fans.  Mike Walker didn''t appear to be the most outgoing person, but we must have cheered his name solidly for a quarter of an hour in the ground after the second leg of the Inter game. 

Even afterwards when Deehan and Megson were making pigs ears of things was there any hostility towards them?  They needed to be relieved of their duties - subsequently they were and everyone got on with life.

Worthington however appears to have a disdain for the fans and I think that therein lies the problem.  Had he been a bit more honest about some of the performaces towards the end of the season rather make up hopeless excuses, there would be less animosity towards him.

So it''s a B, just.

[/quote]

I couldn`t agree with this more. Worthington has an arrogant side which totally disconnects him from the fans.

His comments in the post match interviews were shocking.

The same fans who renewed their season tickets are the same ones shouting WORTHY OUT.

If the board thinks that season ticket renewals are a show of support for worthy they are deluded.

Maybe they need to ring up a random 250 season ticket holders and ask them if they think Worthy should stay or go.

A- (minus).  He''s gone so stale, only he (and the Board) cannot smell the stink of rotting aspirations...