dylanisabaddog

Pinkun General Election thread (ID required)

Yesterday was a great representation of how bad Sunak actually is at politics.

Who on earth decided an announcement outdoors, in the absolute pissing rain while a protestor blared music to drown him out was a good idea? It's so silly and so very avoidable- just do it inside! Nobody would care! Instead he's now created 1000 jokes/memes that make him look like an idiot.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Who on earth decided an announcement outdoors, in the absolute pissing rain 

A man for all seasons, showing his ability to handle the vagaries of the British weather and stand tall.

Well maybe not that tall.😉

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Who knows, but I suspect that you will be wrong on that - it seems to me that many (most?) people are desperate both for an election and to get rid of the Tories, and actually, whatever the turn out is on the day we will see widespread tactical voting with many people looking for the most effective anti-Tory vote in their constituency rather than worrying too much about the various party manifestos.

For clarity, I'm not for one moment suggesting that this is how a healthy democratic election should be but its a very understandable reaction to the problem our dyfunctional electoral system poses.

I think this is nearer - what you'll see is even more tactical voting than usual, I suspect. Which includes me, for that matter.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Farage has bottled it. 👍👍

Farage doesn't like Tice, his nickname for him is 'the hairdresser'.

Nigel also believes that Trump is going to give him a job if he wins. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Just like he always does. Talks the talk but soon as there's a even a slight chance of him getting any kind of power he runs away.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Yep! The great "patriot" can't be bothered to fight an election in the country he claims to love, but is happy to fight for the election of a rapist and self-confessed serial sex offender in a foreign land. The truth is he can't face being rejected for an 8th time. The man is an utter fraud and self-serving scoundrel.

Trump-Religion.jpg

• Like 3

Remember when 30p Lee took a reporter to a voters house who praised him like he was the Messiah and it turned out it was a set up, the 'ordinary voter' was nothing of the sort?

Well it looks like Rishi's doing it now.

Two members of today's audience were dressed up in hi-viz to make them look like ordinary voters and it turns out they are Tory councillors.

https://x.com/BylineTimes/status/1793603212630769816

BREAKING: Byline Times has now identified a second hi-viz jacket-wearing man asking questions of Rishi Sunak at this morning's event as local Conservative councillor Ben Hall-Evans

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Better get application in fast as this is quite a short time frame.

Sent it in (as in the application for a postal vote, not my actual postal vote).

Anyone else wondering about it, go to Apply for a postal vote - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

Vox Pops are already getting on my nerves, it's only day one. Any voter saying that all politicians are as bad as each other clearly hasn't been paying attention and should have their vote taken away. Halfwits. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Remember when 30p Lee took a reporter to a voters house who praised him like he was the Messiah and it turned out it was a set up, the 'ordinary voter' was nothing of the sort?

Two members of today's audience were dressed up in hi-viz to make them look like ordinary voters and it turns out they are Tory councillors.

BREAKING: Byline Times has now identified a second hi-viz jacket-wearing man asking questions of Rishi Sunak at this morning's event as local Conservative councillor Ben Hall-Evans

I know it shouldn't be surprising but the lows the political class in this country continue to sink to still make me shake my head.

Both setting up these plants and thinking that nobody will notice it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Who knows, but I suspect that you will be wrong on that - it seems to me that many (most?) people are desperate both for an election and to get rid of the Tories, and actually, whatever the turn out is on the day we will see widespread tactical voting with many people looking for the most effective anti-Tory vote in their constituency rather than worrying too much about the various party manifestos.

For clarity, I'm not for one moment suggesting that this is how a healthy democratic election should be but its a very understandable reaction to the problem our dyfunctional electoral system poses.

There will be widespread tactical voting but there will also be a lot of Tories who don't turn out to vote. I did canvassing 4 weeks ago and it was perfectly clear that Lib Dems and Labour were up for it but the Conservatives definitely weren't. I was surprised at the number who said they wouldn't vote because of how poor Boris was treated. I kid you not (all over a piece of cake) 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Farage has confirmed he won't be standing. 

Reform says it will put forward candidates in 630 seats. 

Somewhere in the UK a Fancy Dress shop is having a dolphin outfit returned.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

I will certainly wait up to see this total A-hole lose his seat 

11 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

🤣🤣🤣

🚨 NEW: Rishi Sunak asks Welsh voters if they are looking forward to "all the football" before being quickly told Wales haven't qualified for the Euros

Screenshot_20240524-012314.png

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, king canary said:

I know it shouldn't be surprising but the lows the political class in this country continue to sink to still make me shake my head.

Both setting up these plants and thinking that nobody will notice it.

It's thinking they'll get away with it that annoys me. 

About a month ago Nicky Campbell hosted a political phone in on the radio and the first caller claimed to have no political allegiance but went on to trash Starmer. The second caller pointed out that the lady lived 3 doors from him and was actually the Chair of the local Conservative Association. 

On a local Facebook forum a Conservative member claimed yesterday that 'at least they have a local candidate for the South Norfolk seat' . It was pointed out that the candidate lives in Cambridge. With no apparent shame the Tory said that Cambridge is local. 

I'm of the view that this nonsense started with Johnson but it appears to have spread through the Conservative Party at all levels. 

The Conservative approach to the election is already very clear. Tell the same lies about Labour and Starmer over and over and pray that it works. It's very depressing. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There will be widespread tactical voting but there will also be a lot of Tories who don't turn out to vote. I did canvassing 4 weeks ago and it was perfectly clear that Lib Dems and Labour were up for it but the Conservatives definitely weren't. I was surprised at the number who said they wouldn't vote because of how poor Boris was treated. I kid you not (all over a piece of cake) 

I don’t think there will be that much tactical voting. Outside of Twitter I don’t think it’s something most people will worry about, and we sometimes forget just how few people are actually on Twitter. It seems to make a lot of noise for such a small minority of the population. I also don’t think it will be close enough to get people thinking they’ll need to, the Tories are getting a kicking however the rest vote. 

Labour will make gains all over, with significant ones up north as well as Scotland, Lib Dems in some of the more affluent areas in the home counties. Large numbers of Tory voters will stay home and they’ll finish around the 150 seat mark, a small number will defect to Reform who’ll finish around 8% of the vote but no seats. Greens will be similar, probably 6% but no seats. That’s my prediction anyway 

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The Conservative approach to the election is already very clear. Tell the same lies about Labour and Starmer over and over and pray that it works. It's very depressing. 

I'd kept the news on the night it was announced and suddenly it was live coverage of James Clevely at some Tory rally. He was name dropping Corbyn left right and center.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I don’t think there will be that much tactical voting. Outside of Twitter I don’t think it’s something most people will worry about, and we sometimes forget just how few people are actually on Twitter. It seems to make a lot of noise for such a small minority of the population. I also don’t think it will be close enough to get people thinking they’ll need to, the Tories are getting a kicking however the rest vote. 

Labour will make gains all over, with significant ones up north as well as Scotland, Lib Dems in some of the more affluent areas in the home counties. Large numbers of Tory voters will stay home and they’ll finish around the 150 seat mark, a small number will defect to Reform who’ll finish around 8% of the vote but no seats. Greens will be similar, probably 6% but no seats. That’s my prediction anyway 

There are 23m Twitter users in the UK and 44m Facebook users. The Leave campaign assisted by Cambridge Analytica are happy to agree they won the referendum because of Facebook and Twitter and they did the same for Trump (aided by Farage). 

Best for Britain estimates that 40% of the population will consider tactical voting. 

You are correct that Conservative voters will not vote tactically. They will vote Reform (they really are that stupid) or simply not bother. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

Battlebus Sale! Special Niche Pratices bring you best products  membership  money can buy! No tories!

Main.thumb.jpg.b12024cf3132246a56fe29c5b20844f6.jpg

38 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There are 23m Twitter users in the UK and 44m Facebook users. The Leave campaign assisted by Cambridge Analytica are happy to agree they won the referendum because of Facebook and Twitter and they did the same for Trump (aided by Farage). 

Best for Britain estimates that 40% of the population will consider tactical voting. 

You are correct that Conservative voters will not vote tactically. They will vote Reform (they really are that stupid) or simply not bother. 

There are a lot of dormant accounts on Twitter though, and those that do use it regularly exist in an echo chamber so were always going to vote one way anyway. Even if half of them voted tactically I can’t see it swinging more than a couple of seats.

As I say the Tories are deservedly getting a pasting anyway so it doesn’t really matter. Their biggest worry is whether Reforms vote share holds up, as that will do much more damage than a few plebs on tw@tter trying to vote tactically 

IMG_7914.jpeg

Not John Redwood too!! Gutted we won't be able to throw him out by his ears. 

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

Not John Redwood too!! Gutted we won't be able to throw him out by his ears. 

To make up the loss of his MP's salary Rishi has secured John a gig singing the national anthem at Wales's games in the European Championsips.

• Haha 2

Credit where it's due, the Tories have already turned up in their "battle bus" to canvas in my area 

001-Reliant-Robin-Roll.jpg

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Credit where it's due, the Tories have already turned up in their "battle bus" to canvas in my area 

001-Reliant-Robin-Roll.jpg

By the look of it, Fatty Bacon must have been driving?

• Haha 1

WTF!

NEW: Tory MP Tom Hunt has said Susan Hall’s London Mayoral Campaign “can be a role model for Rishi Sunak”

• Haha 2