2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

It's so long since they have been in the PL that their thinking about their chances up there is as out-dated as their famous history.

Luton got it right by concentrating upon infrastructure and not over-spending in the market. They will undoubtedly benefit from their one season excursion.

"Luton only spent £20m after winning promotion through the play-offs, the least of any team in the division, with a number of free signings and loans among their 13 new faces, including Chiedozie Ogbene, Ross Barkley and Issa Kabore."

(Wiki)

Sensible.

Forest's spend, spend, spend approach meant that they survived by the skin of their teeth, but should they fail next season they will be another car-crash club.

Interesting! When City took a very similar approach, Webber was ripped to pieces for "lacking ambition"

• Like 4

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Interesting! When City took a very similar approach, Webber was ripped to pieces for "lacking ambition"

This.

We cant win and especially in the press.

Its been said before but spend sensibly and we are hounded for not giving it a go but spend way above your means and its well done for trying. 

Honestly until something changes in football be it our finances or the PL way of funding then i really dont want a part of it and i'll take what i get in the Champs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

We spent a lot more:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/norwich-city/transfers/verein/1123/saison_id/2021

c.£65m in a sort of half/half approach, compounded by and expensive loans poor loans.

However, this was a lot for us because of financial restrictions.

Not sure I get all the bitterness towards Ipswich and willing their manager to walk out.  They're once again back in the same waters as us, same area of the country, and very similar 'size'.   Therefore everything being said may as well apply to us also.

It's ok to will them to lose, but to promote the idea that managers/players should just walk after promotion because there's no hope at clubs like ours is really poor form.  There's much bigger evils in this sport than the rivals down the road.

Personally i'd be quite disappointed if he walked out on them for a club like Brighton, as i'd consider how that would feel for us if Farke done the same thing after promotion.   I could understand the chance to lead United though.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

We spent a lot more:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/norwich-city/transfers/verein/1123/saison_id/2021

c.£65m in a sort of half/half approach, compounded by and expensive loans poor loans.

However, this was a lot for us because of financial restrictions.

Indeed! And still Webber was ripped to bits for lacking ambition for not being prepared to take much more massive financial risks.

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Not sure I get all the bitterness towards Ipswich and willing their manager to walk out.  They're once again back in the same waters as us, same area of the country, and very similar 'size'.   Therefore everything being said may as well apply to us also.

It's ok to will them to lose, but to promote the idea that managers/players should just walk after promotion because there's no hope at clubs like ours is really poor form.  There's much bigger evils in this sport than the rivals down the road.

Personally i'd be quite disappointed if he walked out on them for a club like Brighton, as i'd consider how that would feel for us if Farke done the same thing after promotion.   I could understand the chance to lead United though.

Binner

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Is there any of us City fans who wouldn't swap our position for theirs (promotion, EPL, money)?

Those 3 specific things, yes.
However, in their case, those things are significantly tainted by everything else about their situation.

If we had those specific 3 things instead of them, we'd arguably be in a far better position than them.

20 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I think we had a net spend of £6m 19/20 season. In fairness to Luton they trebled that and ground improvements cost £10m. Not bad for a club who can hardly rely much on gate money to boost the coffers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I do. Perhaps you should read some of the daily filth posted on TWTD (including a desire to see us in L.1. or worse.) more often.

Of course everything being said may as well be applied to us, it has many times.

Seize the moment. It's rivalry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

Serious sour grapes on this thread. Is there any of us City fans who wouldn't swap our position for theirs (promotion, EPL, money)? Well possibly a few honourable exceptions with the view we should be building for the future. Apart from that, really?

And before anyone else does the obvious I will call myself out.............BINNER!

13 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

IMG_6448.jpeg.79504ba7757d4b2329326c73d51a80e2~2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

It's only rivalry if they build up a character to attack though.  I feel nothing towards them compared to the hate I had for previous managers and players.   Put a Man City badge in front of me and only my excellent manners would stop me from spitting on it.

That's just how I am, I can't artificially make myself dislike someone because 'I should'.  If McKenna walked out on them for Brighton i'm more likely to ask myself 'whats the point' than feel any glee.

Edit: Great, now my own joke is coming back to bite me, thanks @GodlyOtsemobor 😂

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I do. Perhaps you should read some of the daily filth posted on TWTD (including a desire to see us in L.1. or worse.) more often.

Of course everything being said may as well be applied to us, it has many times.

Yeah I think we have every right to revel in this moment. Every club has delusional fans who think the club is more than what it actually is, but Ipswich take this to a whole new level. Ipswich and Newcastle are the absolute worst offenders of this in the entire football league. Plus I made a post a few weeks back recounting some of the horrendous things that club has done down the years. I'm pleased if the rug gets pulled from under them before a ball is kicked. What would be even better is if they **** £160m on mercenaries like they did before and still get relegated. We live in hope.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

There is a lot of disrespect being shown here to Brighton and also from Ipswich fans. There are pretty obvious reasons why Brighton is such a upgrade on Town and us. Many think they will just end up being the next Southampton and maybe they will but here are only a few reasons why they wont and why it is one of the most attractive jobs in the country.

- They have one of the most well regarded and envied scouting system and data centres in the country maybe even Europe. Emphasis here is on "system" its not solely the responsibility of one person/or people. Look at how they have continued to thrive post Ashworth, Winstanley and Stewart.  

- They have one of the best managing directors in Paul Barber who has shown both patience with managers when its going badly but shown if you pay a clear price they wont stand in a managers/staff members way to move up the ladder.

- They have an excellent academy and academy scouting system which is only increasing in productivity and pathways for these players out on loan and in their first team. 

- They are an established top half premier league team which are now consistently fighting for European places and have shown it is an attractive place for talented players to show off their talents and develop on a good stage. 

- One more to add... They're pretty much the only team in league with a HUGE amount of wiggleroom in terms of PSR. No need to sell cheap if you make a record £122m profit last year and potentially just as much this year. Huge potential for investment in the playing squad. 

In comparison to complete chaos of Man United and Chelsea I know which job would be more attractive... 

Edited by Bristol Canary
  • Like 2

Banter or Rivalry, call it what you will but if you can't laugh at your biggest rivals when they think they have surpassed us and suddenly the chief person behind that improvement gets snatched from under them, then not sure when you can.

I'm sure the same will apply to us if Sara, Sarge or Rowe get sold.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bristol Canary said:

In comparison to complete chaos of Man United and Chelsea I know which job would be more attractive... 

The chance of turning either of those clubs round is massive for a manager though.  And is the beginning of a new project that you're throwing yourself into.

Brighton are very well ran, and as Brentford we don't know how long it was last.  However, with the backing that both us and Ipswich have recently gained, why is it that we should both be 'no hopers' and unable to replicate it so therefore managers or players of either club should just jump ship?

Posted (edited)

If United gets a pasting in the Cup Final on Saturday I feel that they will sack Den Hag, in the same way we sacked Wagner after the Leeds drubbing. If not, it's the same 'meh' situation as we had with DW.

Monday will reveal whether that club's interest in McKenna is real. They seem to have Chelsea breathing down their necks and while these two are interested, Brighton have little chance. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

12 minutes ago, Bristol Canary said:

Yeah but 'fail' with united or Chelsea and you get the sympathy of being yet another one to try and not be able to work around the mess the 'owners' have created and caused the rot. 

You will also have a wide variety of takers purely from the merit of having one of those jobs on your CV because if those clubs are willing to take a punt on you, you must have something about you. 

'fail' at Brighton and a promoted side is your best bet again - obviously success at Brighton brings higher jobs again though, but why take that risk when you can fail better at a elite club. 

15 hours ago, RobJames said:

'The AMEX Stadium was built between 2008 and 2011, at a cost of £93 million'

**** me that is cheap - are you sure it was only that? Construction contract only maybe, fit-out, land purchase, design & architects fees, project management fees, legal fees etc. would surely have to be added.

A quick glance at the accounts of group companies filed at Companies House shows a complex group structure behind the BHA operations but the Holding Company has total cost of Assets as £216M, the club's accounts has F&F cost at £90M. There are probably other costs on top of this so those two elements already take you to a cost of the stadium over £300M. Not sure where you got the £93M, but as noted in my opening para I can only think that relates to the actual build costs, not the total cost of the stadium. 

Posted (edited)

No manager, young or old, experienced or not, would readily turn down the chance of managing Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

Edited by BroadstairsR

13 hours ago, RobJames said:

It appears that in 2018 Brighton were in debt to the tune of £207m  - £406m in 2022.

Are we to assume the doubling of that figure was 'mainly due' to building another stadium ?

Or a training ground/sports complex thingy ?

Now, what was that comment ? Ah, yes  "For some perspective though."

On what, some might wonder. Not your figures that is for certain. Perhaps your motivation. Who knows.

Still nevermind, better luck next time

🤣🤣 🤣🤣 🤣🤣 🤣🤣 🤣🤣 🤣🤣

See my answer above RJ - I'm afraid their accounts paint a totally different picture from what you are trying to portray. Apologies. 🤭

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

No manager, young or old, experience or not, would readily turn down the chance of managing Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

It would actually be quite interesting to see how he does, given the long list of managers that have attempted it since Sir Alex left. 

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

**** me that is cheap - are you sure it was only that? Construction contract only maybe, fit-out, land purchase, design & architects fees, project management fees, legal fees etc. would surely have to be added.

A quick glance at the accounts of group companies filed at Companies House shows a complex group structure behind the BHA operations but the Holding Company has total cost of Assets as £216M, the club's accounts has F&F cost at £90M. There are probably other costs on top of this so those two elements already take you to a cost of the stadium over £300M. Not sure where you got the £93M, but as noted in my opening para I can only think that relates to the actual build costs, not the total cost of the stadium. 

When first built didn’t it only hold 22,000? Lots of expansions added in the last decade. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, duke63 said:

Banter or Rivalry, call it what you will but if you can't laugh at your biggest rivals when they think they have surpassed us and suddenly the chief person behind that improvement gets snatched from under them, then not sure when you can.

I'm sure the same will apply to us if Sara, Sarge or Rowe get sold.

Indeed...its one thing to sell your best player upon promotion, like we did with Buendia and like Sheff Utd did last summer....but losing your manager !?. ...

That would be hilarious

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

When first built didn’t it only hold 22,000? Lots of expansions added in the last decade. 

Yes, RJ's trying to argue that Bloom has underpinned their playing squad investment, but I think with the profit they generated last year they paid back some of his loan. So much so, when his net loan to the club is viewed in isolation after deducting the cost of the stadium above of £306M, his subsidy of the squad is only around what Attanasio / Norfolk Holdings have leant to Norwich in 18 months. Over nearly 20 years of ownership!

Why aren't we Brighton? 😉 

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Yes, RJ's trying to argue that Bloom has underpinned their playing squad investment, but I think with the profit they generated last year they paid back some of his loan. So much so, when his net loan to the club is viewed in isolation after deducting the cost of the stadium above of £306M, his subsidy of the squad is only around what Attanasio / Norfolk Holdings have leant to Norwich in 18 months. Over nearly 20 years of ownership!

Why aren't we Brighton? 😉 

Thirty odd million paid back last year and a far bigger one expected after 23/24 figures are announced. Brighton had a net spend of minus £85m, looks like things aren’t too bad down there. 

I will have always , and will continue to laugh and any mishap that lot down the road have . 

Why ? Cos football !

I mean come on ....................... Maidstone 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Yeah but 'fail' with united or Chelsea and you get the sympathy of being yet another one to try and not be able to work around the mess the 'owners' have created and caused the rot. 

You will also have a wide variety of takers purely from the merit of having one of those jobs on your CV because if those clubs are willing to take a punt on you, you must have something about you. 

'fail' at Brighton and a promoted side is your best bet again - obviously success at Brighton brings higher jobs again though, but why take that risk when you can fail better at a elite club. 

That is basically my point over why it is an attractive proposition. At Brighton everything is set up for a new manager to be a success, at United and Chelsea currently you're set up to fail.

I don't think failing at Chelsea/Man Utd does set you up either... Look at how long it took Moyes to recover and in comparisons to what has come after he didn't do that bad. ETH's reputation as one of the best up and coming managers is in tatters, Ole hasn't got another job, Jose is Jose and Van Gaal was in high demand when he went. All have left with their reputation diminished no matter the situation. Success is temporary, failure hangs around. 

50 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

No manager, young or old, experienced or not, would readily turn down the chance of managing Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs on the planet.

But surely Ipswich are a HUGE club!!!!!