Seems a slightly strange one with 2 senior keepers and presumably Reyes ahead of him. Would imagine that means McCracken and Mair will be seeking pastures new this summer to me.

• Like 1

He was exceptionally impressive when he did stand in for first team duty.

Didn't he then fight off cancer?

Good to promote one of our stable of good young 'keepers.

I think George Long's signing was more strange. He has cost us points.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

He was exceptionally impressive when he did stand in for first team duty.

Didn't he then fight off cancer?

Good to promote one of our stable of good young 'keepers.

I think George Long's signing was more strange. He has cost us points.

The fact Millwall fans were celebrating him being sold said all you needed to know about him

It's great news for Dan.

An interesting one though as we'll have Barden, Long and Reyes fighting for a place on the bench, assuming Gunn is still here.

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The fact Millwall fans were celebrating him being sold said all you needed to know about him

George Long you mean?

29 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

George Long you mean?

Keep up. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

32 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

George Long you mean?

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean, yeah obviously

Where would this forum be without dear ol’ Cambridge ? 😂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Where would this forum be without dear ol’ Cambridge ? 😂

In my defence how could I be talking about Barden when he's never played for Millwall? 😂

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Seems a slightly strange one with 2 senior keepers and presumably Reyes ahead of him. Would imagine that means McCracken and Mair will be seeking pastures new this summer to me.

On what basis do you think Reyes is ahead of Barden?

Not really, covering the fact that without promotion we will need to trim the wages so can see Gunny a probable higher earner going.

Decent keeper so good to have him on the books for a while longer.

41 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

On what basis do you think Reyes is ahead of Barden?

Reyes is someone we went to great lengths to recruit. Already involved with Chile u23s and has a loan to League 2 on his CV at 20.

Barden's last meaningful contribution was 3 years ago (very unfortunately and in no way holding that against him) until a loan to the 6th tier a few months ago. 

Not saying the latter is crap, but not sure we would have bothered with Reyes if he wasn't at least as good an option as a 3rd choice with 20 competitive games by the age of 23? This is also mindful of having 2 senior keepers on the books already.

I see Long being sold, Reyes as No.2, Barden loaned/ No. 3 (if Gunn stays). Unless we get promoted, when can see a more experienced No.2 being brought in. 

• Like 2

Reyes is someone we went to great lengths to recruit. Already involved with Chile u23s and has a loan to League 2 on his CV at 20.

Barden's last meaningful contribution was 3 years ago (very unfortunately and in no way holding that against him) until a loan to the 6th tier a few months ago. 

Not saying the latter is crap, but not sure we would have bothered with Reyes if he wasn't at least as good an option as a 3rd choice with 20 competitive games by the age of 23? This is also mindful of having 2 senior keepers on the books already.

In reply, I would say:

At 19 Barden had played first-team football for NCFC, and at 20 he was heading for the SPL (Livingston).

He played for Wales U21 (until he aged out) and Maidstone - where he was last season - was the fifth tier of English football (where FGR will be next season).

Neither of us know who has the higher ceiling, but if Reyes really was intended to leap-frog Barden I ask:
why was he initially allocated to the Academy/Development sides?
why were other GKs (McCracken & Ansen) used for bench-duty this season?  
and why has Barden been given a new two-year deal?

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

In reply, I would say:

At 19 Barden had played first-team football for NCFC, and at 20 he was heading for the SPL (Livingston).

He played for Wales U21 (until he aged out) and Maidstone - where he was last season - was the fifth tier of English football (where FGR will be next season).

Neither of us know who has the higher ceiling, but if Reyes really was intended to leap-frog Barden I ask:

In reply I would say:

No idea. To paraphrase The Dude, it's just like, my opinion, man.

But to make sure that doesn't come across as disingenuous, because I dont mean to be, Reyes was on the bench when Long was starting during Angus' injury. I dare say if Long  had gotten injured he would have been the go-to (much like Barden in 2021 when  Krul and Mick got injured).

I will however say I didn't realise DB's Maidstone stint was last year so misrepresented the level they were at.

Edited by Mason 47
Written like a child
  • Like 1

Long was signed because Wagner wanted a back up keeper who is experienced at this level. Not unusual.

A different manager might see things differently in the future. You pays your money, takes your choice.

I'd happily see a younger keeper on the bench in the Championship. 

My money is on both Barden and Reyes being loaned out again next season. It’ll be a long term plan for one to eventually replace Gunn if he moves on. No point having either here warming the bench long term, I’d rather just have an old head in the twilight of his career happy to be sub keeper on the bench than stunt the development of either of these youngsters 

• Like 2

This might well be Knapper's trading model coming into fruition. Barden out on loan, does well and we get a few quid.

I agree with others in that Reyes' pathway to the first team could well be clearer than Barden's, or anyone else, but he needs some competition and we need a safeguard on case of injuries.

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I see Long being sold, Reyes as No.2, Barden loaned/ No. 3 (if Gunn stays). Unless we get promoted, when can see a more experienced No.2 being brought in. 

Long sold ?.  No, he's here for another year. The first choice bench warmer/cover.

The question is covering for who. Gunn has been magnificent for us however the thought will be had he not been injured we may have picked up a couple or so extra points meaning we would already be in the playoffs. However he has year left on his contract, and although he is very much a Norwich lad, I suspect he will  be tempted if the offer is right to head to the PL, probably to one of the top eight or so.

Reyes will not be sat on the bench, as I suggest he has been lined up to replace Gunn, so needs to be out playing games.

As to Mair and McCracken its not so much their departure will happen because we have too many keepers, but that they are not looking to make it to the required level. However their age is with them. Keepers are often late developers.

And I can't see why we need the keepers at a game. Have Barden or Reyes on emergency cover while out on loan

Posted (edited)

Long is a great guy and decent backup but he's hardly going to be knocking on Gunns door. I imagine shef above is correct in that we'll end up with Reyes and Barden fighting it out for no2 next season or two

Edited by AJ

Posted (edited)

We NEED shot of Long asap, he's a mid table league one keeper at best!! 

I'd be looking at Rotherhams keeper, Johannson or a Ruddy return as back up to Gunn, then loan out one or both of Reyes and Barden. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

12 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Rotherhams keeper, Johannson

I've heard on the local grapevine up here that Sheffield United's goalkeeping coach has said they have already enquired after Johanson for next season, but have dropped their pursuit because they can't afford him! 😳💰

47 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I've heard on the local grapevine up here that Sheffield United's goalkeeping coach has said they have already enquired after Johanson for next season, but have dropped their pursuit because they can't afford him! 😳💰

Wow,

so either Rotherham are asking a fortune, or Sheff U are skint. 

Be interesting to see where he ends up. 

1 hour ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Wow,

so either Rotherham are asking a fortune, or Sheff U are skint. 

Be interesting to see where he ends up. 

Untied have just confirmed today they've bought the remaining land on their Bramall Lane stadium footprint from their former owner (who was playing hardball after losing in court to the current owner), they earlier this month bought a large site for their new training campus at the edge of the City from HSBC, and are currently spending a few million revamping the hotel in the corner of their stadium. It seems their owner is prioritising assets over team building, so yes, they are skint in that regards.

A real test for them next season given that over half the current squad see their contracts ending at the end of this season! Not sure any are worthy of our attention especially if we go up.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2024 at 18:09, Capt. Pants said:

It's great news for Dan.

An interesting one though as we'll have Barden, Long and Reyes fighting for a place on the bench, assuming Gunn is still here.

You'd expect at least one of Reyes and Barden to go out on loan, with the other being the U21 keeper, as an overaged player obviously.

21 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

In reply, I would say:

Maidstone are in the league below the National League, so that is 6th tier

Prem

Championship

League One 

League Two

National League

National League North and South - where Maidstone are.

Forest Green will be 5th tier next season, not 6th

20 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

This might well be Knapper's trading model coming into fruition. Barden out on loan, does well and we get a few quid.

I suspect there might be a goodwill element for a well liked and determined young man also after his health issues. Release him now and he will end up out of the full time game with nobody willing to risk giving him a pro contract. Get him a loan or two to give him the chance of finding his feet and having a career in the game post-Norwich.

Probably a sense that we would be throwing him under the bus if we released him now, I strongly suspect a loan somewhere to get him some games and exposure.