Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

Play Off Semi Final date change for 4th and 5th finishers

Just seen that the Play Off Semi Final First Leg for clubs finishing 4th and 5th has been brought forward to Sunday 12th May with a 2.15 KO.

This will avoid the possibility of both Villa who play Liverpool and West Brom both being at home at the same time.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Just seen that the Play Off Semi Final First Leg for clubs finishing 4th and 5th has been brought forward to Sunday 12th May with a 2.15 KO.

This will avoid the possibility of both Villa who play Liverpool and West Brom both being at home at the same time.

Thanks for that, wouldn’t have realised.

Don’t know why WBA clashing with Villa would be a problem, more likely Sky.

Edited by Well b back

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Policing. 

especially with the scouser's in town! 

Grounds are less than 4miles apart too  - 

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Policing. 

How on earth do they normally arrange for Villa, Birmingham, WBA and Wolves to play on different days? 

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

How on earth do they normally arrange for Villa, Birmingham, WBA and Wolves to play on different days? 

And not forgetting Walsall who are doing well this year

28 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

image.png.71ffe693cb72687f95f3ea6569d1819e.png

That’s much better all round as it means the first leg is at a weekend rather than the possibility of a Monday night. Strange timing though. You would have thought that one game would have started after the other had finished as they were both on TV. These times mean that there will be a short ( or, given the amount of added time these days, long) overlap.

Even though we weren’t a particular consideration, this surely makes far more sense for supporters, too -having both matches midweek (if Mon/Fri) for the 4th/5th placed sides felt completely unnecessary. 

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

That’s much better all round as it means the first leg is at a weekend rather than the possibility of a Monday night. Strange timing though. You would have thought that one game would have started after the other had finished as they were both on TV. These times mean that there will be a short ( or, given the amount of added time these days, long) overlap.

I guess Sky Sports would rather have an overlap on play-off first leg matches than having anything overlap into Man Utd v Arsenal at 4:30pm. The premier league is their premium product, after all.

Posted (edited)

At least it avoids the possibility of Ipswich or Leeds fans drinking all around Norwich on the Monday before an evening match...

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Posted (edited)

I do alternate weekends and thursday and friday off the other week and all these dates have fallen on my days off. Perfect! Now just up to us to get there and win the games 😆

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

42 minutes ago, Osborne17 said:

I guess Sky Sports would rather have an overlap on play-off first leg matches than having anything overlap into Man Utd v Arsenal at 4:30pm. The premier league is their premium product, after all.

They could've had a midday kick off rather than 12.30pm though, presumably. 

Thanks for pointing this out - I had (selfishly) been hoping we finish 6th rather than 5th purely to have that home leg on the Sunday afternoon rather than Monday night. Now it makes no odds so let’s reel those Baggies in!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

At least it avoids the possibility of Ipswich or Leeds fans drinking all around Norwich on the Monday before an evening match...

Whereas Baggies and Saints fans are teetotal of course.😉

33 minutes ago, Northluck C said:

Thanks for pointing this out - I had (selfishly) been hoping we finish 6th rather than 5th purely to have that home leg on the Sunday afternoon rather than Monday night. Now it makes no odds so let’s reel those Baggies in!

Me too - I was not looking forward to a possible Monday schlep, getting back around 2am.

• Like 1

So, the EFL have already determined WBA will finish 5th, like the FA had pre-determined an all Manchester Cup Final. 🤪🤣

11 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I think you'll understand the difference between these sets of fans...

Maybe Draytono won’t go drinking all round Norwich…

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Maybe Draytono won’t go drinking all round Norwich…

The potential problems that would have occured would have still happened whether he was there or not...

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Me too - I was not looking forward to a possible Monday schlep, getting back around 2am.

Just the same here, much better on a Sunday.

Glad it's going to be on the Sunday, as it would have been difficult to get permission to take the grandkids on a school night.

Incidentally, the club ticket office are very confident in the outcome, as they told me that both the semi-final AND THE FINAL will count towards your membership match totals for next year's group band.; I.e. getting to 5 or 10 games, if you need to. That's the spirit!

Hoping for a 5th place finish and the later of the two games. More of a lie in on the Sunday plus Im busy on the 15th so wouldn't have been able to watch the second leg. Come on city get your act together!