Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Owls V Canaries*

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I see some posters who have been strangely missing are happily back tonight. Even at 2-0 up we hadn't played well. A guess would be that the high-octane game against Ipswich had actually taken something out of us. 

Eh? We'd played well enough to be 3 or 4 up. We weren't perfect and we're too open on the counter but we were carving through them with ease for 45 minutes.

Just now, ricardo said:

Sitting back is fatal. They never learn.

Don't think sitting back was the plan though. Clearly wanted to keep up the energy by bringing Gibbs on.

After their first it was clearly a backs to the wall job.

5 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

2-2. Full time.

Good grief. What a disaster.

Not really a disaster, but thoroughly unsatisfactory and two points most definitely dropped. We can't be losing on Saturday now Preston have gained two points on us.

Manager or thin squad to blame? Probably a bit of both. That said we score a third and it's game over. 

Still in our own hands.

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

Your guess isn’t wholly right. It was the tactical changes that changed the dynamic of the game and once more put us on the back foot. We’ve seen it before from Wagner this season and it’s sadly needlessly cost us points again. And people are quite right to point that out. Even if you want to be blind to it. 

Which ignores my main point, that we played badly the whole game. 

• Confused 1

I do not blame Wagner for this. 

The players had several gilt-edged chances to finish the game off.

And Wednesday are the filthiest, dirtiest team I've seen in a long time.

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

Don't think sitting back was the plan though. Clearly wanted to keep up the energy by bringing Gibbs on.

Gibbs has energy but he doesn't really have that threat up top that Sargent does, that's not his fault as he's a midfield player after all. When that task falls to Barnes we've already seen the results this season and they're not good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Understandable why he was taken off to save him for Preston but soon as Sargent went off you could feel something shift.

And Sainz going off was utter nonsense.

I get managing his minutes. My issue with it is win the points in front of you before you worry about the next ones. At 2-0 it’s far from won. I’d of rather gone into the Preston game 7 points off 7th than 4. 

Just now, S_81 said:

It’s not so much him going off, but who he brings on and how he moves it around. Yet again Barnes is there dead on his feet. 

Yep. He can't hold the ball up on his own and he offers no threat on behind so the ball just kept coming back to us. It doesn't work. 

Wagner was unlucky with Gibbs getting injured but his lack of reaction to that was criminal.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Which ignores my main point, that we played badly the whole game. 

I thought we were ok first half. Not great, but effective enough. And comfortable. 

Really annoyed at that result. One of those not-uncommon away days where we get ourselves in a decent position, then change things up and get locked in our own half for 45 minutes.

Barnes going up front on his own is usually the signal. What a stupid result.

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think if Wagner was serious about keeping attacking intent when taking off Sarg he brings on SvH or Aboh rather than Gibbs. Gibbs was a negative sub. 

Just now, king canary said:

Yep. He can't hold the ball up on his own and he offers no threat on behind so the ball just kept coming back to us. It doesn't work. 

Wagner was unlucky with Gibbs getting injured but his lack of reaction to that was criminal.

He was unlucky with Gibbs yes - albeit is Gibbs really the answer? He’s young and learning but I don’t see him offering a lot anywhere at the moment, yet alone up top. Why not Sydney or Aboh instead? 

10 minutes ago, city4eva said:

It does seem that way, Wagner does seem to make a habit of making us worse with his subs

Maybe that’s because our bench is so lacking. Who would you have brought on!

Major flashbacks to QPR away for me the moment Sargent went off, with the same end result. Except this time it was a two goal lead blown. 

4 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

I do not blame Wagner for this. 

The players had several gilt-edged chances to finish the game off.

And Wednesday are the filthiest, dirtiest team I've seen in a long time.

I think there’s an element of both to be fair. 

players must take responsibility for not putting the game to bed in the first half when we should of scored 4-5 by half time. 

Wagner must take some responsibility for knowing the game wasn’t dead and putting more priority over managing Sargents minutes before ensuring points are secure. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hairy Canary said:

I wouldn’t take Sarge off untill 80 mins earliest. 

We’re a different side without him. A pretty awful one. Wagner should know that more than anyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Not really a disaster, but thoroughly unsatisfactory and two points most definitely dropped. We can't be losing on Saturday now Preston have gained two points on us.

Manager or thin squad to blame? Probably a bit of both. That said we score a third and it's game over. 

Still in our own hands.

It's not the result that's a disaster. It's the performance.

We completely capitulated to a team who simply hoofed the ball long, over and over.

If that's all the opposition have to do against us to get a result, then don't even bother turning up.

• Like 1

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Leeds fans boo.

Could be them or Leicester in the play-off semi.

A lot of work left to do yet. lose to Preston and I think we’ll bottle it. Huge game. Just how you like em 😅

The 5 outfield players on the bench who didn't come on have a combined 382 minutes for the club, which is the equivalent of 4 games of football. No matter how bad they might have looked that's way too soon to judge them, and they've all somehow made it this far in their careers.

We know what it's like with Barnes up top on his own (bad), I don't think it's crazy to ask about the possibilities of what the others could do, especially if we end up blowing a lead like we did tonight.

2 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

The bench is absolutely lacking in established names. That being said I think if he’d waited 10 more mins for Sarg and swapped him for SvH or Aboh so we didn’t sit back so much that would have mitigated the absence of Sarg. 

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I wouldn’t take Sarge off untill 80 mins earliest. 

We’re a different side without him. A pretty awful one. Wagner should know that more than anyone.

We’ve had this before when everyone booed. The guy is struggling with his fitness when we play this number of games in such a short period. Did you think it was tactical!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Eh? We'd played well enough to be 3 or 4 up. We weren't perfect and we're too open on the counter but we were carving through them with ease for 45 minutes.

We lacked our usual precision. One goal came from a long throw and their goalie gifted us the other. 

6 minutes ago, S_81 said:

He was unlucky with Gibbs yes - albeit is Gibbs really the answer? He’s young and learning but I don’t see him offering a lot anywhere at the moment, yet alone up top. Why not Sydney or Aboh instead? 

...and why don't the local media ask him why?...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

A lot of work left to do yet. lose to Preston and I think we’ll bottle it. Huge game. Just how you like em 😅

Preston is away from home too..

And oh dear beacause we know how those matches tend to end..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Away from home too

Oh dear we know how those matches tend to end..

In draws.

We’ve had this before when everyone booed. The guy is struggling with his fitness when we play this number of games in such a short period. Did you think it was tactical!

Tactical no. Pre planned. Yes. That’s the problem for me. Wagner may well come out and say he asked to come off due to injury. Which if he did there’s not much you can do. I have a feeling though this was more to do with them deciding he could / should only play 60 mins. 

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

We lacked our usual precision. One goal came from a long throw and their goalie gifted us the other. 

So? We still created multiple other chances. 

We weren't perfect but to say we played badly all game is just plain wrong in my eyes.