Sign in to follow this  
A K Narey

Recent Gigs You Have Attended

Just an idea for a thread.

This week, I saw Declan McKenna at the LCR on Sunday and the The Longest Johns at the Waterfront last night.

Both were excellent but the crowds were very different. One was primarily student age and the other attracted a more mature audience!

Any other music fans care to share your recent gig experiences?

• Like 3

I've got tickets for the National at Crystal Palace in July, always excellent live.

Last gig I went to was Stornaway in Cambridge, lovely experience, very much a mature crowd though. 

Off to see Hawkwind next Thursday.  Probably my last opportunity considering Dave Brock is in his eighties.

• Like 3

Last gig I went to was Morganway (last month).  They’re an Americana band hailing from North Norfolk and Cambridge.  Well worth seeing if you get the chance.

The thread's a cracking idea, I just don't have much to contribute as I'm not a concert person. Although if the Portsmouth Sinfonia get back together or a similar group starts out, then I'm getting front-row tickets for that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Off to see Hawkwind next Thursday.  Probably my last opportunity considering Dave Brock is in his eighties.

Their last album was very good. Still haven't seen them though. 

My last gig was F***Ed Up at the Underworld in Camden. Great gig, great venue. 

Got Folk By The Oak at Hatfield Park coming soon. Last years was very good so hopefully more of the same. 

Last gig was Ocean Colour Scene at the UEA LCR late last year.  Before that saw The Lathums at The Waterfront and Wet Leg at the UEA.  Got tickets for the Lightning Seeds at the UEA this coming November but before that really looking forward to seeing The Last Dinner Party (also at the UEA).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

First saw Hawkwind at St Andrews Hall in about 1973 when my brother's band were the support.  Spend the gig up the lighting tower with Liquid Len, their lighting engineer.  Those were the days!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

First saw Hawkwind at St Andrews Hall in about 1973 when my brother's band were the support.  Spend the gig up the lighting tower with Liquid Len, their lighting engineer.  Those were the days!

Not with Stacia? 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Their last album was very good. Still haven't seen them though. 

My last gig was F***Ed Up at the Underworld in Camden. Great gig, great venue. 

Got Folk By The Oak at Hatfield Park coming soon. Last years was very good so hopefully more of the same. 

With The Staves and The Levellers it’s bound to be good.  Saw them both at the Cambridge Folk Festival a few years ago - excellent.

2 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

With The Staves and The Levellers it’s bound to be good.  Saw them both at the Cambridge Folk Festival a few years ago - excellent.

Not a big fan of The Levellers but there is enough there to keep me happy for the rest of it.

I saw Pete Wylie and The Mighty Wah at Bush Hall, Shepherds Bush at the beginning of March. Not so much a gig as a series of anecdotes interspersed with a few songs.

Pre-gig drinks at the White Horse then back there afterwards for some karaoke-I did Ballroom Blitz by The Sweet and my brother did Creep by Radiohead. Drinks were £8.00 for a Guinness and bottle of Newcastle Brown, which explains why we did karaoke 🤣

• Like 1

I am going to see Green Day at Wembley Stadium in the Summer, I hope it will be my second trip to Wembley this year after the Play-off Final. 😁

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, A K Narey said:

I am going to see Green Day at Wembley Stadium in the Summer, I hope it will be my second trip to Wembley this year after the Play-off Final. 😁

Same for me but for Springsteen. Also seeing him in Cardiff at the Principality statium, first time for me returning there since we lost to Brum in the playoff final!

Green Day should be great, still got Dookie on CD!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Got tickets for the Lightning Seeds at the UEA this coming November

I've got tickets for that one too 

• Like 1

Biggest gig for me later this year is Steve Hackett at the Royal Albert Hall, but greatly looking forward to Big Big Train in September.

I'm going to see Richard Hawley (coolest man in Britain according to the NME) at the UEA soon. If you've ever watched Mortimer and Whitehouse Go Fishing and liked the background music it is often Hawley. 

• Like 1

On 28/03/2024 at 11:00, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

getting too old for gigs, generally

I going to bet you're younger than some of us still going to gigs 🙂

• Like 1

Saw Deacon Blue recently in Kirstenbosch Cape Town. Great venue, and they were very good. 

This has reminded me to go to more gigs. I don't even have anything lined up. Although I'm contemplating going to reading for the day to see blink. The last thing I went to was just before Christmas. Not a proper gig. Just a load of pro drummers playing and talking about drumming  and making me realise I need to practice more! Nic Collins (son of Phil) was ridiculously good.

On a slight tangent when did gigs become so expensive? Almost £40 for shed 7 at the UEA. A bad venue where you struggle to see the band unless you get there as soon as it opens.  Too much for me although it's probably sold out so I guess supply and demand right?

Posted (edited)

Been to tonnes over the last few years (although I'd wager, not many on here will be on the same vibe!) Since May 2022, I have done:

The Script x 2, Sheku Kanneh Mason x 2, My Chemical Romance + Funeral for a friend, Alterbridge + Halestorm, Liam Gallagher, Embrace x 2, Bon Iver, Papa Roach, Muse x 2, Blink 182, Bring me the Horizon + Bad Omens, Tom Clarke (from the Enemy) acoustic set, Corella, DMAs

and Download 2023 where I watched: Ice Nine Kills, Bring me the Horizon, I Prevail, Disturbed, Ghost, Evanesence, Slipknot, Metallica x 2, Moionless in White, Asking Alexandria, Amity Affliction, Neck Deep, Bad Religion, Pendulum.

Upcoming I have got:

Smashing Pumpkins + Weezer

Foo Fighters

Liam Gallagher

Leeds fest for a day (Taking my 7 year old to see Blink 182 for her first gig)

Download fest - bought after last year but lineup is weak for my taste, so am going to sell the weekend tickets and just get a Sunday day ticket and a Slam Dunk ticket as there is much more for me doing it that way (Download - Limp Bizkit, Sum41's last UK festival show, The Used, Corey Taylor) (Slam Dunk: I Prevail, Asking Alexandria, You Me At Six last UK festival, the Dangerous Summer, Caskets, As December Falls, LS Dunes, Goldfinger, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus), Funeral for a friend (although they were awful supporting MCR in 2022), We the Kings, Head Automatica.

I like music a lot.

Of the gigs I've been to over last few years, highlights were Bon Iver who is just an unbelievable musician, Corella who are really up and coming, they're ace. DMAs who are excellent live, and Papa Roach who were awesome, and the whole of Download fest last year was bloody wonderful - every single band I saw killed it.... but Bring Me The Horizon are hands down the best live band I've ever seen, and I've seen ALOT of bands. They are on fire at the moment.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kick it off said:

Upcoming I have got:

I missed news of that! Trying to find tickets now. Jimmy Chamberlain is a beast of a drummer. Gotta go.

Also Ghost. Didn't know much about them till recently and that was only through a couple of covers they've done. Seen a fair bit of love footage now. Are they as good as they look?

Edited by The Raptor

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

I missed news of that! Trying to find tickets now. Jimmy Chamberlain is a beast of a drummer. Gotta go.

Also Ghost. Didn't know much about them till recently and that was only through a couple of covers they've done. Seen a fair bit of love footage now. Are they as good as they look?

I picked my tickets up in October/Novemberish - Pumpkins are on my list of bands that I want to see but never have - saw Billy Corgan in the shortlived Zwan phase but never SP. If drumming is your thing, check out AJ Hale from Halestorm - that dude is unbelievable.

Honestly, I was really looking forward to Ghost - not a huge fan of their music but had heard about their amazing stage show - I was hugely disappointed. Gave them half an hour but it was just boring so I left... Just about made it to the tent to see Coheed and Cambria play a few songs including Favour House Atlantic which I'd always wanted to see live, but yeah, Ghost were rubbish! Pretty much the only band that disappointed me over the whole weekend to be fair. Spillways was cool live, but the stage show/presence was non-existant.

Edited by kick it off

Sad to hear about ghost. Might be one of those cases of style over substance. Just got tickets to see tool in the summer. I'm not a massive fan of their music but Danny Carey is one of the best drummers ever and it's gonna be great to see him in action. 

As an aside. It seems crazy that one of tool (Adam someone I think) and tom morello from rage against the machine were in a high school band together. Would've been some prom if they been the house band. 

On 29/03/2024 at 14:58, kick it off said:

Been to tonnes over the last few years (although I'd wager, not many on here will be on the same vibe!) Since May 2022, I have done:

The Script x 2, Sheku Kanneh Mason x 2, My Chemical Romance + Funeral for a friend, Alterbridge + Halestorm, Liam Gallagher, Embrace x 2, Bon Iver, Papa Roach, Muse x 2, Blink 182, Bring me the Horizon + Bad Omens, Tom Clarke (from the Enemy) acoustic set, Corella, DMAs

and Download 2023 where I watched: Ice Nine Kills, Bring me the Horizon, I Prevail, Disturbed, Ghost, Evanesence, Slipknot, Metallica x 2, Moionless in White, Asking Alexandria, Amity Affliction, Neck Deep, Bad Religion, Pendulum.

Upcoming I have got:

Foo Fighters

Liam Gallagher

Leeds fest for a day (Taking my 7 year old to see Blink 182 for her first gig)

Download fest - bought after last year but lineup is weak for my taste, so am going to sell the weekend tickets and just get a Sunday day ticket and a Slam Dunk ticket as there is much more for me doing it that way (Download - Limp Bizkit, Sum41's last UK festival show, The Used, Corey Taylor) (Slam Dunk: I Prevail, Asking Alexandria, You Me At Six last UK festival, the Dangerous Summer, Caskets, As December Falls, LS Dunes, Goldfinger, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus), Funeral for a friend (although they were awful supporting MCR in 2022), We the Kings, Head Automatica.

I like music a lot.

Of the gigs I've been to over last few years, highlights were Bon Iver who is just an unbelievable musician, Corella who are really up and coming, they're ace. DMAs who are excellent live, and Papa Roach who were awesome, and the whole of Download fest last year was bloody wonderful - every single band I saw killed it.... but Bring Me The Horizon are hands down the best live band I've ever seen, and I've seen ALOT of bands. They are on fire at the moment.

Blimey, thats some list!

I didn't know Papa Roach were even still going. I had the Infest album on CD when it came out, I was just a teenager back then and now I'm an old man 😂

• Haha 1

Sleaford Mods, Idles and Fontaines DC my last gigs, all in Norwich, albeit a couple or three years ago now.

Idles and Fontaines both excellent, couldn't get on with the Mods, although lots of people love 'em.

Not much new stuff floating my boat at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Sleaford Mods, Idles and Fontaines DC my last gigs, all in Norwich, albeit a couple or three years ago now.

Idles and Fontaines both excellent, couldn't get on with the Mods, although lots of people love 'em.

Not much new stuff floating my boat at the moment.

Fontaines are a fantastic live band. 👍