cambridgeshire canary

Rowe; In jail if not for Webber?

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

And who will be the spokesman or spokeswoman for Norwich City Football Club. What a total farce.

Someone on here could make a statement on behalf of Stu and the club. Should be enough to cool matters down. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Someone on here could make a statement on behalf of Stu and the club. Should be enough to cool matters down. 

Can I do it , I met him outside the directors entrance once. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

🤣FFS. He's been defending him all day and night. He's friggin worn out man. I'm sure he thought there might have been a bit of backup from other webber lovers, but unbelievable,  there is no backup. YOUR on yer own big H.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

Can I do it , I met him outside the directors entrance once. 

As long as you know he does a lot of good work for all young people and categorically hasn’t a racist bone in his body. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

As long as you know he does a lot of good work for all young people and categorically hasn’t a racist bone in his body. 

It didn't go that well when I met him , so maybe we better leave it to someone else.  

Edited by Sufyellow

6 minutes ago, Mengo said:

🤣FFS. He's been defending him all day and night. He's friggin worn out man. I'm sure he thought there might have been a bit of backup from other webber lovers, but unbelievable,  there is no backup. YOUR on yer own big H.

Ron Atkinson might have got in touch to see if he can spin him a few positive paragraphs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slaphead said:

Webber must be a Conservative doner. 

Yes

Lets bring politics into it

• Thanks 1

This really is utterly indefensible,  anyone saying but but but he's not racist honesty probably should be re-evaluating that opinion now, anybody without any form of prejudice wouldn't have made the comment in the first place. 

I hate the race card being played, it devalues genuine racism, but questions of Webbers character here need to be answered. 

1 minute ago, daly said:

Yes

Lets bring politics into it

Didn't want to go there. Well said. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, hogesar said:

I mean, is this the only requirement? If Knapper takes us to League One it's OK because he was more commercially professional?

I don't recall saying it was the only requirement; it's just really nice imo to have employed someone who isn't a complete and utter embarrassment to the club.  I know you'd be happy to still have Webber here but you're the last acolyte standing I'm afraid. I'm wondering what would it take for you to actually disavow him? Him getting his c0ck out in 'The Lion and Castle'? Webber defecating over a poster of Kenny McLean? 😉 

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

I would be talking about how lucky we are yet, especially taking his first signing into account.

Tbh Hoggy, I can't take you seriously atm when you talk about Knapper. When Webber first came through the door, I gave him a chance; my negative impression of him only formed over time (the more he opened his mouth). Your negative impression of Knapper formed the moment he wasn't Stuart Webber.

Added a couple of semi-colons for you @Mengo 🙂

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

This really is utterly indefensible,  anyone saying but but but he's not racist honesty probably should be re-evaluating that opinion now, anybody without any form of prejudice wouldn't have made the comment in the first place. 

I hate the race card being played, it devalues genuine racism, but questions of Webbers character here need to be answered. 

To be honest Webbers character and attitude should be well known long ago. Unfortunately many thought he was a good egg. He was and always has been a chancer and con man . Once again, someone else has to pay and answer on behalf of this clueless bawbag.

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Don't shoot me down,  what he has said is racist and so lazy. But let's not label him as a total racist. That's a different thing all together. The bloke is a total idiot though, always has been. 

2 minutes ago, Mengo said:

To be honest Webbers character and attitude should be well known long ago. Unfortunately many thought he was a good egg. He was and always has been a chancer and con man . Once again, someone else has to pay and answer on behalf of this clueless bawbag.

He's a pound shop Del Boy Mengo. New York? Paris? Peckham? Even Stoke won't touch him now.

You reap what you sow.

OTBC

• Thanks 1

Don't shoot me down,  what he has said is racist and so lazy. But let's not label him as a total racist. That's a different thing all together. The bloke is a total idiot though, always has been. 

Pretty sure in the early days when he completely revolutionised the club and training ground he wasn’t a total idiot. But it was the right time for him to go and he’s made a few rash comments since leaving the club. 

it’s a shame that this looks to have tarnished the good work he did do with Norwich 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I don't recall saying it was the only requirement; it's just really nice imo to have employed someone who isn't a complete and utter embarrassment to the club.  I know you'd be happy to still have Webber here but you're the last acolyte standing I'm afraid. I'm wondering what would it take for you to actually disavow him? Him getting his c0ck out in 'The Lion and Castle'? Webber defecating over a poster of Kenny McLean? 😉 

Tbh Hoggy, I can't take you seriously atm when you talk about Knapper. When Webber first came through the door, I gave him a chance; my negative impression of him only formed over time (the more he opened his mouth). Your negative impression of Knapper formed the moment he wasn't Stuart Webber.

Added a couple of semi-colons for you @Mengo 🙂

OTBC

Nice to see your back in the swing again. Semi - colons add a piece of class. Something the Webber man does not possess.  😉

• Thanks 1

I don't think he's a racist either, or at least he is only racist in the way that we all have racist ideas and beliefs because we are brought up in a racist society.

He needs to learn how to behave if you have a position that puts you in the public domain, though. He really is a total embarassment.

• Like 1

Think I've already said all I want to say on this subject, except that it's good that SW has reached out to the players concerned to apologise

1 hour ago, Sufyellow said:

I didn't say he was a total racist, there's a difference between unconscious racism (Aaron's mums words, which I agree with) and being a full blown KKK member.

His comments at best show his complete lack of education in this area

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I didn't say he was a total racist, there's a difference between unconscious racism (Aaron's mums words, which I agree with) and being a full blown KKK member.

His comments at best show his complete lack of education in this area

Totally agree. 

12 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Think I've already said all I want to say on this subject, except that it's good that SW has reached out to the players concerned to apologise

Damage limitation. 

Nothing more.

5 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

Trouble is some articles are saying he is still our director of football, if not our ex dof. He states 4 of our players or ex and their parents are involved.  This has dragged Norwich totally into it. 

Sorry I meant not getting involved leaning on Archant (if they have been doing that). I do think they need to make a statement to distance us from the comments. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

I will say, we know what he’s like and the sort of stuff he comes out with. I also don’t think he’s really, fundamentally racist but I’m not surprised he’s said something stupid like this whilst spouting off about how great he is. The rest of football, however, has probably not heard his previous gems and seems to have held him in high regard. So this will no doubt have come as quite a shock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I could give it a go...

The club would like to publicly distance itself from the comments made by former sporting director Stuart Webber. The beliefs he shared in a recent interview are not shared by the club, nor any of it's current employees. The club is strongly committed to the kick it out campaign and has reached out to all of the players both current, former, and Raheem Sterling, to reassure them that these are not Norwich City FC values.

P.S. Stuart, don't let the door hit you on the way out... Dion Dublin on the other hand...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, chicken said:

I could give it a go...

The club would like to publicly distance itself from the comments made by former sporting director Stuart Webber. The beliefs he shared in a recent interview are not shared by the club, nor any of it's current employees. The club is strongly committed to the kick it out campaign and has reached out to all of the players both current, former, and Raheem Sterling, to reassure them that these are not Norwich City FC values.

P.S. Stuart, don't let the door hit you on the way out... Dion Dublin on the other hand...

Yes I’d say something very similar to that. Should be easy shouldn’t it, but then again I don’t think the sun shines out of his porthole.

2 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

Essentially it's racial profiling. At the very least it wreaks of prejudice and ignorance.

I don't think he's a "racist" either, but it is the sort of stuff I am having to combat more and more often at the moment with the youngsters I work with.

In some ways it sucks, he does deserve some praise for the way he has set up the route through to first team football and for some, premier league careers - I think Lewis is probably the best example in the sense that he'd stopped with football and was focusing on athletics I believe.

I'm coming to the belief that he should have a pair of shoes spare to stick in his mouth when he get's asked questions. It's like he is searching for validation and then tries to create something in his answers that sounds intellectual when all he really needed to have said is that he has taken great joy from his job when youngsters who may not have had such a great life trajectory have been helped by football and the path he has laid down for them to reach their potential and achieve great goals. It's like he wanted to overstate that journey when it wasn't needed.

I think he's also misinterpreted some of Sterling's various interviews and applied it to others. A good example here.

Either way, the biggest mountain he is going to have to summit is going to be diplomacy. You simply cannot just jabba away in interviews, you have to be so much more considered, diplomatic and try to be neutral as much as you can be. If you want to express the achievements you are happiest about, that's fine, but don't over do it, you come away looking anything but modest. I don't actually think he is as arrogant etc as people want to paint him to be, but his lack of ability to pick his words really doesn't do him any favours whatsoever. It really doesn't paint him in a good light at all - deliberate or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hairy Canary said:

Yes I’d say something very similar to that. Should be easy shouldn’t it, but then again I don’t think the sun shines out of his porthole.

I don't think it shines out of anyone's. There should be fair critique, just critique.

At this point, I would point out that unless I am wrong, M&D have declared their admiration and friendship of every manager and chief exec that has been at the club over their tenure bar one or two. I am pretty sure they were uncharacteristically short of words for Roeder for example. They certainly poured praise over Hamilton, Grant, Worthington, Farke, McNally etc. Even Lambert I think.

Again, from a business point of view, they asked him to stay because he had done well, is still young and could potentially have delivered more again - he did to a more limited extent perhaps. However, it was also more than about that moment, it was about sending out a message much like we do with our youngsters. We want young, up and coming players, so we tend to try and give them football and lots of support. Historically we have done the same with the likes of Worthington. Webber and Farke are continuations on that. As a club you want to encourage managers/head coaches, sporting directors etc of the future to look and see that as a club, we will give them time and not just expect instant results - it's important as not everyone can deliver straight off the bat - see Farke's first season. Nor do we have the money to chuck at it to make the first season an instant success.

It's as much a PR strategy about how we expect things to work, and the balances. We don't have a lot of money, we encourage youth pathways to the first team and the balance is that we don't expect overnight success and respect that our way can take more time, as it currently stands.

Take Springett for example, some people don't rate him, it doesn't matter. The fact is he was brought into the first team squad, given first team opportunities including starts. It doesn't matter if he is a success for us now or not, he is further evidence that we will give players a chance. He's now on loan - again, something we have demonstrated that we can use to help us progress players and develop them and their careers.

For all of that though, the club does need to distance itself from his comments. I won't be surprised to see something released this week. It'll likely use a phrase like "unfortunate choice of words" or some such I should think. I doubt he is racist or even as prejudiced as his choice of words would suggest, I very much doubt he would have lasted long at all in football if that was the regular him. 

12 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

As a club we are totally mixed up in all this , no matter what some fans think. 

You appear to be failing to address the reality of what is happening hear. You see how he is thanking the fans of both Norwich and Portsmouth? It's making it very clear that these are the words of one individual who is no longer part of our club.

You keep suggesting that this is some huge disaster as if we are the Titanic after we have hit the iceberg and got all of the toffs off (with Big Vince) into their underfilled lifeboats... We're not there yet.

You are all "we're doomed" and yet I can hardly recall you meaningfully posting a lot before. Strange that you have suddenly cropped up on a non-footballing weekend to say the same thing over and over again without much substance to back it. 

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

OK. He's visibly done very little and certainly nothing of note that's spoken about. Apart from loaning out a goalscoring sub and replacing with an unfit, non scoring one.

Give it a rest the word going round was that Knapper didn’t rate Idah , if that’s true then he joins many on this board.