Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Ian Wright; What a dunce

It's perfectly understandable that Ben White doesn't want to play for England in the summer.

It's his peak self-tanning season.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

It’s a bit hamfisted but I get what Wright’s saying. Representing your country is meant to be an honour, but I guess for some of these guys it’s a low paid distraction. That’s a sad shame.

Edited by Monty13

I like Wrighty, but he's gone absolutely full window-licker on this one. In fact, I respect White more for simply saying "I do not fancy it" (or words/actions to that effect) and has made it clear that Southgate can pick someone else.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I like Wrighty, but he's gone absolutely full window-licker on this one. In fact, I respect White more for simply saying "I do not fancy it" (or words/actions to that effect) and has made it clear that Southgate can pick someone else.

I dont think I could ever respect it. As it stands I don't think he's good enough to worry about, and that tan isn't going to top itself up anyway.

Equally its not about him not fancying it, he's just a bit of a tw*t who couldn't take a comment from Steve Holland and refuses on that basis. Or, that's his excuse at least.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont think I could ever respect it. As it stands I don't think he's good enough to worry about, and that tan isn't going to top itself up anyway.

Equally its not about him not fancying it, he's just a bit of a tw*t who couldn't take a comment from Steve Holland and refuses on that basis. Or, that's his excuse at least.

Other way round for me, I respect that he's set a boundary and is willing to stick to it. If he thinks the atmosphere is that unamenable to him and doesn't enjoy it, then fair play to him for saying "count me out".

He's not going to be the first player who wouldn't want to make himself available, this is just a case where it went public.

EDIT: Think Southgate's handling it nicely, to be fair. Made it clear that he'd like White there on current form as no doubt some fans would be asking the question, and he's said the door's open at any time. Can't legislate for a player not wanting to be there, but a player also has every right to refuse - it's just unusual.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Not sure why Wrighty is a dunce? His point is valid, and White has finally had a season where he looks anything otherthan bang average. No great loss and he wouldn't make the starting XI anyway.

12 hours ago, hogesar said:

He’d fit in well on here then as a lot of t**** whinge about comments on here 

I'm with Wrighty! Even though I'm not bothered that much with England, it's your ****ing country, every man should do his duty etc. 

How are we this far into the thread without anyone pointing out this Ian Wright quote comes from 2014.

I wonder if you asked him now if he'd stand by it- I'd imagine not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Had a major fall out with Southgate’s assistant (can’t remember his name ) a few years ago

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

How are we this far into the thread without anyone pointing out this Ian Wright quote comes from 2014.

10 years ago . Nice detective work 🤣KC.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's still moronic as all hell regardless of time period as far as I'm concerned. I'd hope he wouldn't stand by it any more when it dawned on him how dreadful a comparison it was.

Edited by TheGunnShow

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's still moronic as all hell regardless of time period as far as I'm concerned. I'd hope he wouldn't stand by it any more when it dawned on him how dreadful a comparison it was.

Yeah its stupid but it is being presented as if Wright said this in a response to the Ben White situation, when he didn't. 

It’s well-documented that Ben White isn’t a football obsessive. It’s just a job, he gets in, does it and then goes home to his family and enjoys his other hobbies etc. by all accounts he doesn’t enjoy watching football either. So you can see how weeks away from family, living and breathing football every second, watching endless matches and dealing with a coach with whom he’d had a major falling out is enough for him to say “thanks but no thanks”.

I’d much rather he hold his hands up and let someone else have the opportunity who’ll be keen and fully “in” on the experience than he just turn up and phone it in, lord knows we’ve seen enough players in England shirts over the years that have looked like they’d rather be anywhere else. I certainly don’t see what’s to gain from the media attempting to match him there at gunpoint!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It’s well-documented that Ben White isn’t a football obsessive. It’s just a job, he gets in, does it and then goes home to his family and enjoys his other hobbies etc. by all accounts he doesn’t enjoy watching football either. So you can see how weeks away from family, living and breathing football every second, watching endless matches and dealing with a coach with whom he’d had a major falling out is enough for him to say “thanks but no thanks”.

I’d much rather he hold his hands up and let someone else have the opportunity who’ll be keen and fully “in” on the experience than he just turn up and phone it in, lord knows we’ve seen enough players in England shirts over the years that have looked like they’d rather be anywhere else. I certainly don’t see what’s to gain from the media attempting to match him there at gunpoint!

It is one of those things that we as fans can find very tough to understand- we love football and thus all footballers should to. The idea some players aren't actually big lovers of the game can be jarring. 

33 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is one of those things that we as fans can find very tough to understand- we love football and thus all footballers should to. The idea some players aren't actually big lovers of the game can be jarring. 

You get the same thing in tech, there are some that assume we’re all spending our evenings and weekends building websites or personal coding projects to stay relevant and because we love technology. I’d rather be on the golf course.

16 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

You get the same thing in tech, there are some that assume we’re all spending our evenings and weekends building websites or personal coding projects to stay relevant and because we love technology. I’d rather be on the golf course.

CW; wow, really, you mean you don't spend 24 hrs a day hunched over a laptop? Wouldn't have lasted long in my organisation. 😉😉🤣🤣🤣

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

CW; wow, really, you mean you don't spend 24 hrs a day hunched over a laptop? Wouldn't have lasted long in my organisation. 😉😉🤣🤣🤣

In my late 20s I did, thankfully I’m high enough up the chain now that I get told to mind my work life balance above all else…I’m happy to oblige!