dylanisabaddog

Chris Woods ranked England's 9th best keeper

It does show the paucity of great English keepers over the years that Robinson makes the top 10 of all time.

Personally I'd have james ahead of pickford and I thinks it's very close between clemence and seaman with recency bias playing a part but seems a fairly sensible listing.

Keelan was very unfortunate to have  Shilton clemence and corrigan ahead in a genuine golden era for England keeping

• Like 3

The thing that surprised me was that Woods had over 40 England caps. I would put him in my top 5 City keepers but he is some way behind Keelan, in my view. 

• Like 1

Woods inspired so many local lads to take up goalkeeping, as I was one of them.  In fact, there were so many keepers across the youth and school teams that I ended up playing outfield, basically the oldest were being picked as they were tallest.

That milk cup final save was better than Banks vs Brazil, too.  *ahem* :classic_tongue:

Jossy's Giants on tv just popped into my head thinking back to school teams.  Anyone remember that from around mid 80s-ish? haha.  

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

Always thought Nigel Martyn gets missed a little bit in these discussions simply as a peak Seaman was so good. And Tim Flowers suffered a lot due to him too.

To be fair to Pickford, he's had moments of weakness in an Everton shirt and he's not really let England down - unlike Hart who did have a couple of high-profile schnitzers in him.

• Like 3

Apart from Banks and Shilton the rest are much of a muchness...  surprised Alex Stepney didn't get a mention and Gordon West was a better 'keeper than Bonetti, if he'd gone to Mexico we would have made the final.....

It certainly shows how long Shilton kept the top spot for.  And Banks before him.  We basically only had two goalkeepers for the national side for over 30 years - the period of indecision with Clemence aside.

31 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

It certainly shows how long Shilton kept the top spot for.  And Banks before him.  We basically only had two goalkeepers for the national side for over 30 years - the period of indecision with Clemence aside.

And Clemence was a splendid keeper in his own right. If a country had Shilton and Clemence as their goalies, they were very well set.

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pickford ahead of Hart is an interesting one..

Is it? Hart was woeful. Pickford is the much better of the two ( which isn't really saying much, JP doesn't inspire me either ) 

Without doubt I would say Chris Woods has been Norwich City’s best goalkeeper and I would put him slightly higher in the all England list.

Kevin Keelan was a natural talent and very flamboyant at times, similar to Peter Bonetti of Chelsea.

The modern goalkeeper has much better ball control and passing, I think the likes of Peter Shilton and maybe Gordon Banks might have struggled in this department.

18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pickford ahead of Hart is an interesting one..

Absolute no-brainer, at least in an England shirt. Hart's performance at Euro 2016 should be enough to end that discussion. Both are goalies that can be a bit wired up and jumpy, but at international level Pickford's better at channelling it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

And Clemence was a splendid keeper in his own right. If a country had Shilton and Clemence as their goalies, they were very well set.

Interesting, I thought it was ridiculous when Clemence was mentioned in the same breath as Shilton, Shilton was the best keeper of that generation.  It would be interesting to see modern metrics applied to them.

9 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Interesting, I thought it was ridiculous when Clemence was mentioned in the same breath as Shilton, Shilton was the best keeper of that generation.  It would be interesting to see modern metrics applied to them.

I thought that and could never understand why Ron Greenwood alternated them in the England team.

Then I saw Clemence live for Spurs (perhaps against City) and realised why. His every move had composure and charisma (if you can use that word in goalkeeping terms) and he was sheer class.

Never again are we likely to have two such outstanding 'keepers in the England squad, and I would place him above Seaman in that list.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Dunno, Clemence still played for close to 15 years for that juggernaut of a Liverpool team. I do agree that Shilton was better, but you don't spend the peak of your career at such a team unless you're of undoubted quality yourself.

I'm sure there was a bit of national chauvinism involved, but in the 80s it was more or less universally agreed that English keepers were the best and the foreign ones were a bit of a joke.

Now all the top clubs here have a foreign keeper and England's best keeper plays for Everton.

22 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Woods inspired so many local lads to take up goalkeeping, as I was one of them.  In fact, there were so many keepers across the youth and school teams that I ended up playing outfield, basically the oldest were being picked as they were tallest.

That milk cup final save was better than Banks vs Brazil, too.  *ahem* :classic_tongue:

Jossy's Giants on tv just popped into my head thinking back to school teams.  Anyone remember that from around mid 80s-ish? haha.  

football is just a type of science ? or something like that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'm sure there was a bit of national chauvinism involved, but in the 80s it was more or less universally agreed that English keepers were the best and the foreign ones were a bit of a joke.

Now all the top clubs here have a foreign keeper and England's best keeper plays for Everton.

the Brazil goalkeepers where tosh tbh Germany and Italy allways had strong keepers as well

and our English keeper plays for Scotland

Edited by Paul101