Sufyellow

Wagner leaving in summer.

Why are some fans convinced he is leaving in the summer and someone new is coming in? Why would wagner go if he gets us in playoffs.

I should have thought that this topic has been exhausted already, so in order to avoid going into the various foibles of tactics, selection and substitutions I would just add that in young Ben Knapper we now have a modern DoF who might well prefer to have his own man in charge who is more in tune with his own ideas. I believe a young coach from Arsenal has already been touted.

Many, including myself, feel the need for a full clean sweep, brushing away the cobwebs with this new appointment along with the significant changes in the boardroom which have taken place.

Wagner will leave with his head held high and with no ill-feeling towards him, but in the eyes of his critics, he will have had two bites of the cherry at achieving the task he was appointed for. 

His squad is still tainted with recent PL appearances, after all, and loaded with relatively highly paid players who are aslo tainted with the experience there along with fairly expensive signings like Sara, Gunn etc., all financed by PL money and parachutes.

Of course, there are many examples of clubs who have had similar declines ('Boro, QPR etc.) but there are others such as Leicester, Leeds and Saints this season who have not.

David Wagner (despite mitigating factors) has led us in the direction of the former, imo.

It was nice being top of the yo-yo pile as well as profitable. Smith/Wagner between them have contributed to the loss of this status. Not entirely, of course, but they are highly paid to individuals in order to do a specific job.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I should have thought that this topic has been exhausted already, so in order to avoid going into the various foibles of tactics, selection and substitutions I would just add that in young Ben Knapper we now have a modern DoF who might well prefer to have his own man in charge who is more in tune with his own ideas. I believe a young coach from Arsenal has already been touted.

Many, including myself, feel the need for a full clean sweep, brushing away the cobwebs with this new appointment along with the significant changes in the boardroom which have taken place.

Wagner will leave with his head held high and with no ill-feeling towards him, but in the eyes of his critics, he will have had two bites of the cherry at achieving the task he was appointed for. 

His squad is still tainted with recent PL appearances, after all, and loaded with relatively highly paid players who are tainted with that experience there along with fairly expensive signings like Sara, Gunn etc., all financed by PL money and parachutes.

Of course, there are many examples of clubs who have had similar declines ('Boro, QPR etc.) but there are others such as Leicester, Leeds and Saints this season who have not.

David Wagner (despite mitigating factors) has led us in the direction of the former, imo.

It was nice being top of the yo-yo pile as well as profitable. Smith/Wagner between them have contributed to the loss of this status. Not entirely, of course, but they are highly paid to individuals in order to do a specific job.

That's not the question, I agree with you. But why do fans think it will definitely happen? No one in the club has said anything, I think the board will be happy with playoffs. As fans the disappointment will be selling our best players, but the board get it easy. 

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Mostly beacause as we have what, the third highest player wages of any team in this divison along with players that cost us a ton not getting into the playoffs will be a failure.

1) we don't have the third highest

2) we are still in with a shout for the playoffs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Or if we are going to use absolute boll*cks sources with no previous then we could also be 6th

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/all-24-efl-championship-sides-in-order-of-their-wage-bill-ranked/#norwich-city-pound-17-670-000

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Mostly beacause as we have what, the third highest player wages of any team in this divison along with players that cost us a ton not getting into the playoffs will be a failure.

For who? Fans will think its a failure,  and will be more disappointed selling our best players , but I don't think the board will. As long as we don't run out of players to sell. We should be in for an exciting end to season so will be interesting to see how fans respond. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Or if we are going to use absolute boll*cks sources with no previous then we could also be 6th

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/all-24-efl-championship-sides-in-order-of-their-wage-bill-ranked/#norwich-city-pound-17-670-000

Totally gone off the topic , but we are all guilty of that. I just see so many fans saying it's like definite that wagner goes end of season, I don't understand why? Nothing has come from the club to suggest that. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

no we dont after the departures our wage bill is around 22m a year Ipswich are on about 20m

• Like 1

We seem destined to fall just tragically short of the playoffs and Wagner is currently unemployed footballing director Stuart Webbers boy

Edited by The Real Buh

Just can't see BK keeping someone he didn't employ in that position long term. 

The club may not have outright said anything yet, but why would they? 

• Like 1

Personally I think Wagner isn’t Knappers type of coach, though I like Wagner, he does appear to be very irritated recently in his interviews, my reading of the club is that Knapper will want his man in and if reports are correct then Cuesta will be that guy ( very well thought of).

To back that up, SVH signed by Knapper and Idah out on loan without a buy out clause shows to me that Wagner is here till May, unless he gets the club up, otherwise he’ll be gone…might be totally wrong!

Edited by Indy

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And guess what even out so called board wanted us in the play offs at least! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Personally I think Wagner isn’t Knappers type of coach, though I like Wagner, he does appear to be very irritated recently in his interviews, my reading of the club is that Knapper will want his man in and if reports are correct then Cuesta will be that guy ( very well thought of).

To back that up, SVH signed by Knapper and Idah out on loan without a buy out clause shows to me that Wagner is here till May, unless he gets the club up, otherwise he’ll be gone…might be totally wrong!

No I think this is probably spot on although no idea re Cuesta beyond reports.

I think ideally it makes sense for Knapper to have his own man in charge because at least then he's falling on his own sword if it goes wrong.

• Like 4

Wagner out soon due to Knapper's job to take club forward with distinct playing style.  His appointment will have been ok'ed by new owners whi expect a success.  We may make play offs but go no further, too much talent to overcome.

Why does it matter whether he does stay or go in the Summer at this point in time? Surely this is a conversation for the end of the season when all the facts on this season are in?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

It’s exactly this that I feel for sorry for Wagner the guy is on a hiding to absolutely nothing. It’s clear Knapper will want his own man in the summer especially in a post parachute payment world.

The transfer window showed that the confusion the club is in. Every other club around us boosted there squad. Moore is doing well for Ipswich Zahrouri and Carvalho are leading the way for Hull. We did a like for like change. Rowe is out one more injury to a key player and it’s all over for us. Surely Wagner wanted more signings. The club backed him when times were bad but didn’t back him after he turned it round. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

It’s exactly this that I feel for sorry for Wagner the guy is on a hiding to absolutely nothing. It’s clear Knapper will want his own man in the summer especially in a post parachute payment world.

The transfer window showed that the confusion the club is in. Every other club around us boosted there squad. Moore is doing well for Ipswich Zahrouri and Carvalho are leading the way for Hull. We did a like for like change. Rowe is out one more injury to a key player and it’s all over for us. Surely Wagner wanted more signings. The club backed him when times were bad but didn’t back him after he turned it round. 

What did we do, sent our second highest striker out on loan, bought in a player who the manager doesn’t have much faith in yet!

Wagner must know what his future is, so is he just going through the motions too?

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

What did we do, sent our second highest striker out on loan, bought in a player who the manager doesn’t have much faith in yet!

Wagner must know what his future is, so is he just going through the motions too?

Idah's a young and potentially valuable player for the future. We can't afford to have him bechwarming instead of getting experience to add to his future value as a player. Besides, a large section of fans seem to have little time for him anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Fingers crossed that isn't Nunez.

52 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Idah's a young and potentially valuable player for the future. We can't afford to have him bechwarming instead of getting experience to add to his future value as a player. Besides, a large section of fans seem to have little time for him anyway.

Thing is, he seems to be better when benchwarming. 

10 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Thing is, he seems to be better when benchwarming. 

Sure. All his goals were scored while he was sitting on the bench.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

The question I would ask is that if and it’s a big if we get promoted by the playoffs would that be enough to keep Wagner in the job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Young. ????

4 hours ago, pete said:

Wagner out soon due to Knapper's job to take club forward with distinct playing style.  His appointment will have been ok'ed by new owners whi expect a success.  We may make play offs but go no further, too much talent to overcome.

That's just all guessing, maybe the board have said they are happy with where we are. I think us as fans want to just make up and believe good things. 

4 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Why does it matter whether he does stay or go in the Summer at this point in time? Surely this is a conversation for the end of the season when all the facts on this season are in?

Again, not the question. It's why are fans 100% convinced he will go and we end up with a new coach. The club have said absolutely nothing to indicate that. 

6 minutes ago, daly said:

Young. ????

Yup. 23 to be precise. 5 years younger than Pukki was when he turned up at Norwich without that much to write home about on his CV. 

2 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

This is why I have asked the question,  why is it clear Knapper wants his own man? He's never said that, he could really be happy with Wagner. Wagner would have wanted more signings , but I doubt there is any money.  

• Like 1