Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Cardiff

Over the last few days we have had a spell of spring like weather and although it was cooler and greyer today it was still an ideal day for a bike ride down to Carrow Road, Thankfully the news on Josh Sargents injury was positive and although Gibson had to drop out the return of a fit Grant Hanley has to be a plus.

City were on the front foot from the get go and soon had the visitors defending their twenty yard line. In the third minute City almost broke through when Kenny floated a lovely ball over the top to Barnes. The keeper managed to push him wide of goal but a pass back inside saw Sargent coming in with the goal at his mercy. Somehow a defenders foot got in the way of his low shot and blocked it almost on the line. It got the crowd going and the home side began exert continual pressure. Onell and Stacey were lively down the right but the cross couldn't find a City player and it was all hands to the pump in Cardiff's overworked defence.

Sainz almost opened the scoring when another cross from the right went over everybody and the little winger took a quick touch before firing in a shot that Horvath blocked and somehow the ball was hooked away as Sargent was hovvering. Then there was a heading contest in the six yard line as a corner came over. I thought Hanley would score but he couldn't quite get over it and the ball looped to Barnes who could only head over the bar from point blank range.

We had seen next to nothing from the visitors as an attacking force until almost twenty minutes and as luck would have it it led to a goal out of the blue. I couldn't see much from my end but the ball seemed to fly across the goal a couple of times without anyone getting it away. before Collins poked it in despite the attentions of Gunn and Hanley. I turned to the boy and we both shook our heads in disbelief. We had been totally dominant and the score made a mockery of the balance of play.

Thankfully events didn't appear to knock the confidence of the home side who continued to press the issue. With better luck we would have been level within a couple of minutes but after good work by Hernandez, Sara's curling shot came back off Horvath's right post and was scrambled away. With half time approaching I was beginning to harbour thoughts that it might not be our day but these were dispelled when on forty minutes McCallum's sharp cross deflected off Horvath's hands and fell to Sargent eight yards out and he didn't need further invitation to tuck home the equaliser.

Almost from the restart Barnes had the ball in the net again from McCallums cross but unfortunately he had crept a shade offside. Being up above it I couldn't tell but there were no complaints although it did look a close call. We needn't have worried however because just before the break Sara curled in a wonderful free kick from twenty yards to put a more realistic slant on the scoreline.

It was good to see the team applauded off as it he certainly one of the most dominating halves we have seen for a long time.

Cardiff had a brief spell on the front foot after the restart but the game soon regained its early pattern with City playing some lovely quick stuff and looking a class above the visitors. Any hope for Cardiff was quickly extinguished on fifty five minutes when Hanley sent Stacey away down the the right and after a quick interchange the ball moved on to Sargent who banged in a shot that the Cardiff keeper could only parry onto a post but the City forward was quick to latch onto the rebound and extend the lead.

Carrow Road was now in good voice and a world away from some of the dismally quiet episodes of recent months. Kenny, Nunez and Sara linked up perfectly at times and there was a constant threat of a quick break everytime Cardiff pushed to far forward. To be honest I can't recall Gunn making a save of any note. Sainz almost made it four with a break down the left but appered to over run it in the box and a little later had a really good chance when the ball fell kindly to him. He had time and space but was a bit too deliberate in his placement and lofted it over the bar.

Barnes and Sargent came off with twenty minutes left and I thought it an opportune time to give them an ironic boo as they went and more than a few my end joined in. It was Hooijdonk and Fassnacht that came on and fittingly it was that pairing that figured in the fourth city goal with just under fifteen minutes left. I think it was Fassnacht who stretched for a loose clearance and after a lovely quick passing interchange that split the Cardiff defence he was on hand to slot the ball past Horvath to wrap up the points.

Stacey was replaced by Fisher late on and received generous applause for what to my mind was one of his best performances to date. Something that could be said for many in the home line up today.  I thought Nunez was a class apart in midfield whilst Kenny and Gabby Sara both performed at their usual high levels. Onell had a really good outing but I think I will give my MOM award to Josh Sargent for a classy display, two fine goals and an audacious back heel pass that almost sent a team mate through on goal had he been more alive to it.

All things considered a very good day at the office and probably the best all round display I have seen since Wagner has been in charge. I was out of puff when I cycled home but it was a very enjoyable afternoon.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 13

You need one of them there 'letric bikes, bor.......

.................just yew make sure thas one with a long enuff lead to reach Carrow Road😊

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Over the last few days we have had a spell of spring like weather and although it was cooler and greyer today it was still an ideal day for a bike ride down to Carrow Road, Thankfully the news on Josh Sargents injury was positive and although Gibson had to drop out the return of a fit Grant Hanley has to be a plus.

City were on the front foot from the get go and soon had the visitors defending their twenty yard line. In the third minute City almost broke through when Kenny floated a lovely ball over the top to Barnes. The keeper managed to push him wide of goal but a pass back inside saw Sargent coming in with the goal at his mercy. Somehow a defenders foot got in the way of his low shot and blocked it almost on the line. It got the crowd going and the home side began exert continual pressure. Onell and Stacey were lively down the right but the cross couldn't find a City player and it was all hands to the pump in Cardiff's overworked defence.

Sainz almost opened the scoring when another cross from the right went over everybody and the little winger took a quick touch before firing in a shot that Horvath blocked and somehow the ball was hooked away as Sargent was hovvering. Then there was a heading contest in the six yard line as a corner came over. I thought Hanley would score but he couldn't quite get over it and the ball looped to Barnes who could only head over the bar from point blank range.

We had seen next to nothing from the visitors as an attacking force until almost twenty minutes and as luck would have it it led to a goal out of the blue. I couldn't see much from my end but the ball seemed to fly across the goal a couple of times without anyone getting it away. before Collins poked it in despite the attentions of Gunn and Hanley. I turned to the boy and we both shook our heads in disbelief. We had been totally dominant and the score made a mockery of the balance of play.

Thankfully events didn't appear to knock the confidence of the home side who continued to press the issue. With better luck we would have been level within a couple of minutes but after good work by Hernandez, Sara's curling shot came back off Horvath's right post and was scrambled away. With half time approaching I was beginning to harbour thoughts that it might not be our day but these were dispelled when on forty minutes McCallum's sharp cross deflected off Horvath's hands and fell to Sargent eight yards out and he didn't need further invition to tuck home the equaliser.

Almost from the restart Barnes had the ball in the net againform McCallums cross but unfortunately he had crept a shade offside. Being up above it I couldn't tell but there were no complaints although it did look a close call. We needn't have worried however because just before the break Sara curled in a wonderful free kick from twenty yards to put a more realistic slant on the scoreline.

It was good to see the team applauded off as it he certainly one of the most dominating halves we have seen for a long time.

Cardiff had a brief spell on the front foot after the restart but the game soon regained its early pattern with City playing some lovely quick stuff and looking a class above the visitors. Any hope for Cardiff was quickly extinguished on fifty five minutes when Hanley sent Stacey away down the the right and after a quick interchange the ball moved on to Sargent who banged in a shot that the Cardiff keeper could only parry onto a post but the City forward was quick to latch onto the rebound and extend the league.

Carrow Road was now in good voice and a world away from some of the dismally quiet episodes of recent months. Kenny, Nunez and Sara linked up perfectly at times and there was a constant threat of a quick break everytime Cardiff pushed to far forward. To be honest I can't recall Gunn making a save of any note. Sainz almost made it four with a break down the left but appered to over run it in the box and a little later had a really good chance when the ball fell kindly to him. He had time and space but was a bit too deliberate in his placement and lofted it over the bar.

Barnes and Sargent came off with twenty minutes left and I thought it an opportune time to give them an ironic boo as they went and more than a few my end joined in. It was Hooijdonk and Fassnacht that came on and fittingly it was that pairing that figured in the fourth city goal with just under fifteen minutes left. I think it was Fassnacht who stretched for a loose clearance and after a lovely quick passing interchange that split the Cardiff defence he was on hand to slot the ball past Horvath to wrap up the points.

Stacey was replaced by Fisher late on and received generous applause for what to my mind was one of his best performances to date. Something that could be said for many in the home line up today.  I thought Nunez was a class apart in midfield whilst Kenny and Gabby Sara both performed at their usual high levels. Onell had a really good outing but I think I will give my MOM award to Josh Sargent for a classy display, two fine goals and an audacious back heel pass that almost sent a team mate through on goal had he been more alive to it.

All things considered a very good day at the office and probably the best all round display I have seen since Wagner has been in charge. I was out of puff when I cycled home but it was a very enjoyable afternoon.

Nice report as always Ricardo…enjoyable read as always very honest.

• Like 1

Indy, no need to quote, it does clutter up the forum  🙂

Edited by RobJames
  • Haha 1

Just now, RobJames said:

Indy, no need to quote, it does clutter up the forum  🙂

Irony!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with nearly all of this, great report. I did wonder last year about playing McClean as a central defender but we have been on a good run since he dropped in there. Maybe he does better at starting attacks off from the back, he certainly does very well at playing long diagonal passes to the forwards to split things up sometimes.

• Like 2

Near complete performance, Cardiff were dreadful though and I was not in the least bit concerned when City went a goal down.

For some reason the away directors area was empty which I've never seen before, either they were in one of the lounges or they simply didn't turn up just like the team.

• Like 1

Great report as usual, nice to hear the crowd back in good voice as well! No sign of BKS on this forum for a while..

Nunez in a deep midfield position with a mobile Kenny behind him appears to be a good set up allowing Sara to venture further forward 

• Like 1

I've watched the highlights a number of times, if we had had VAR then Barnes goal would have stood. Really close and I can see why the lino flagged it offside. At the exact moment the ball is kicked Barnes is around 1 yd behind the ball and behind our guy and the theirs, a split second later and he outpaced his two defenders. From what I see he never once gets in front of the ball but as I said it so close I can see why he was flagged. It was also interesting to see only one Cardiff player appealed for it too.

23 minutes ago, taipei_canary said:

I've watched the highlights a number of times, if we had had VAR then Barnes goal would have stood. Really close and I can see why the lino flagged it offside. At the exact moment the ball is kicked Barnes is around 1 yd behind the ball and behind our guy and the theirs, a split second later and he outpaced his two defenders. From what I see he never once gets in front of the ball but as I said it so close I can see why he was flagged. It was also interesting to see only one Cardiff player appealed for it too.

Assistants don't tend to get those wrong, if he did then it was a very poor mistake. I wondered whether McCallum might have been slightly offside from the original diagonal ball, as you can't see that from the highlights? 

43 minutes ago, taipei_canary said:

Funny that, I thought his legs had gone? 😉 <- winky emoji 

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Assistants don't tend to get those wrong, if he did then it was a very poor mistake. I wondered whether McCallum might have been slightly offside from the original diagonal ball, as you can't see that from the highlights? 

Yes, I also wondered if the offside was McCallum because it seemed to me that Barnes was clearly onside.

• Like 1