Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

It's grim up North

Especially if you live in Sheffield. Nine goals (so far) none against and both bottom of the respective leagues

Travel 3 or 4 mile up the road and you are in Rotherham, who are not bottom. or lost by four or more today.

No, they are second from bottom and lost 2-0 at home.

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Especially if you live in Sheffield. Nine goals (so far) none against and both bottom of the respective leagues

Travel 3 or 4 mile up the road and you are in Rotherham, who are not bottom. or lost by four or more today.

No, they are second from bottom and lost 2-0 at home.

Not grim if you live in Preston though!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I live in Sheffield and quite enjoying life. Saw some brilliant short films by young aspiring filmmakers in the morning, then saw Dutch band Personal Trainer in the evening. Lovely.

Also Sheffield has a Lego cafe! What's not to like. It also had giant bear statues everywhere last time I went!

It can have gold embroidered flat caps, whippets on gold leads and ferrets in golden cages, it is the football that is dire. Is there any part of the country that has three of the worst performing FOOTBALL clubs ?

51 minutes ago, RobJames said:

It can have gold embroidered flat caps, whippets on gold leads and ferrets in golden cages, it is the football that is dire. Is there any part of the country that has three of the worst performing FOOTBALL clubs ?

Suffolk.  Ipswich town. Ipswich Revolution. Ipswich pythons.

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I live in Sheffield and quite enjoying life. Saw some brilliant short films by young aspiring filmmakers in the morning, then saw Dutch band Personal Trainer in the evening. Lovely.

As you weren't first in the queue for the gig did Chris Wilder jump off stage and tap his watch at you and tell you off for eating a sarnie at the gig? He's a premier league manager FFS! Have some respect 

Just to say it is not grim up north, not here anyway - and Sheffield is not really "up north", being only 45 miles north of Norwich. Might as well say "Cromer is up north"........it is north, but not by very much. 😀

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Just to say it is not grim up north, not here anyway - and Sheffield is not really "up north", being only 45 miles north of Norwich. Might as well say "Cromer is up north"........it is north, but not by very much. 😀

This is very true LDC! Beautifully positioned right in the centre of the UK, the main border crossing between Mercia and Northumbria back in the day was in Meersbrook, now a suburb of Sheffield. Today there is much debate whether Sheffield really is part of Yorkshire, but that probably has more to do with the rivalry with Dirty Leeds and the loss of first class county cricket than any real sensible debate! 

It’s certainly not grim in the Lake District. Fantastic scenery. I love the area for holidays but for me it’s a bit too remote and it rains too much to want to live there.

Funny how we perceive ‘ up North ‘. I always see it as up or down from where I live. Reminds me of a match between Plymouth and Exeter some years ago. A Plymouth player was fouled and to everyone’s amusement the chant of “ You dirty Northern b*stard “ rang out from the home end.

Priceless….

4 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

It’s certainly not grim in the Lake District. Fantastic scenery. I love the area for holidays but for me it’s a bit too remote and it rains too much to want to live there.

Funny how we perceive ‘ up North ‘. I always see it as up or down from where I live. Reminds me of a match between Plymouth and Exeter some years ago. A Plymouth player was fouled and to everyone’s amusement the chant of “ You dirty Northern b*stard “ rang out from the home end.

Priceless….

This reminds me that when I stood on the terraces at Vicarage Road in the 70s, away fans used to sing ‘We hate cockneys’, to which we replied ‘We hate cockneys’.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Moved to SE London about 10 years ago, always amuses me when people round these parts class everything above London as up north!

Some towns in Bavaria like Passau (in the former West Germany) are positioned further east than the entirety of two out of the six states of the former East Germany

There are parts of Donegal (in the Irish Republic, aka the political South) lying further north than the whole of Northern Ireland (aka the North of Ireland)

Richmond, the American Civil War capital of the Confederate States (aka the South) lay further north than half of Kansas (part of the Union aka the North)

Edited by GenerationA47

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

???? Sheffield is only   45 Miles north of Norwich 

Enlighten me

9 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

This reminds me that when I stood on the terraces at Vicarage Road in the 70s, away fans used to sing ‘We hate cockneys’, to which we replied ‘We hate cockneys’.

I rather like it when Brighton and Southampton fans sing ‘you dirty Northern bastards’ to London teams!

57 minutes ago, daly said:

Enlighten me

Sheffield is 3688.42 miles north of the equator, Norwich is 3636.25, so Sheffield is actually 52 miles north of Norwich. 

1 hour ago, daly said:

Enlighten me

6 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Sheffield is 3688.42 miles north of the equator, Norwich is 3636.25, so Sheffield is actually 52 miles north of Norwich. 

Just when you thought the arguments on here couldn't get any more menial, here come these two squabbling over 7 miles. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Just when you thought the arguments on here couldn't get any more menial, here come these two squabbling over 7 miles. 

I wasn’t the one who claimed there was 45 miles difference, I’m just enlightening @daly as he requested.

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I wasn’t the one who claimed there was 45 miles difference, I’m just enlightening @daly as he requested.

My fault, I guessed it was about 45 miles, but at 52 miles, I wasn't wildly out.

18 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I find it amusing when fans of Brighton and Southampton engage in banter by singing 'you dirty Northern bastards' to London teams during football matches.

4 hours ago, Aria Chen said:

I find it amusing when fans of Brighton and Southampton engage in banter by singing 'you dirty Northern bastards' to London teams during football matches.

Have Ipswich fans ever sung it to us I wonder?

11 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Have Ipswich fans ever sung it to us I wonder?

I mean, we are the North Folk, so it would make some sense.

There's an amusing book called Pies and Prejudice on this topic, mainly poking fun at southern ignorance about the north, eg apparently Des Lynam one time said on live TV "and here's the update from the local derby between Chester and Chesterfield...".  Also, the BBC has a North of England correspondent, but not one for the South - that would be redundant as most of their journalists are in reality South of England correspondents.

Apparently the NE (Newcastle etc) regard themselves as the "True North" and regard Sheffield as "down south" which makes the author say, can you seriously suggest Sheffield is not "Northern".  Frankly to me, from the South, Sheffield is the perfect example of a Northern City.

Also I read a while back in the Economist that the whole "North/South" divide is widespread e.g. in Spain, Italy and Belgium, "northeners" look down on "southerners" as lazy etc etc with the same sort of stereotypes going back and forth despite the paradox that the north of Italy is obviously south of the whole of Belgium.